As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New [Chat] On the Block

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    pot culture, on the other hand, does seem to endorse socially dropping out and wearing around hempt tees and ridiculous knit hats.

No, that would be popular culture's depiction of pot culture because the financial leaders smoking a joint instead of a cigar and talking about the Wallstreet Journal aren't as funny.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Drunks are approximately a hundred times worse than potheads.

The worst I'd ever had to deal with from any pothead was a mild pot smell (which isn't exactly fair because I kind of enjoy it but let's count it as a negative) and overaffection.

The worst I've dealt with with drunks is belligerence, aggression, and just blinding stupidity.

I mean, it's pretty clear which is worse if you're going to judge.

EH, I've drank with a lot of people and I've only ever come across one guy who had a tendancy to get violent when drunk.

I solved that by avoiding him after it became clear he had that tendancy.

By far the most common experiences I've had with people who are drunk is laughter. Well, laughter and deep conversations that probably aren't deep at all and no one remembers the next day.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Arivia wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I don't like to read periodicals that tell me that inducing vomiting within myself is a good idea.

No, no, you vomit outside yourself. Like in your bed. That's the best place.

Then you weep in shame as you sleep in your own filth.

No, you roll around in your filth like the happy pig you are.

Daxon on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    Tav wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    3.3 liters of beer still isn't 'a little'

I was joking

but it's not like, huge amounts of beer either

it's not going to give you alcohol poisoning but if you drink over 110 oz of beer and it's not spread out over a day, it's not 'a little bit'. i imagine the average 180 lb guy couldn't drive after that.

How well you can drive should not be a measure of how drunk you are. Jesus. That is the stupidest thing.

i'm talking about legally.

Organichu on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Also I have a sudden desire to read the fuck out of Promethea.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Also, Mori, since we're playing LOTRO, I'm going to go ahead and delete the data files for Borderlands to make space.

Woah, that's a big change in philosophy. You do know you'll lose your character if you do that, right?

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Rust wrote: »
    from what i hear the most damning generalization you can make about potheads is that they are boring, boring people

yeah

it also tends to destroy lives in kind of a slow-motion sort of way.

i guess part of my beef is that, while booze culture isn't always wonderful, it generally has a pretty strong admonition against letting drinking take over one's life. pot culture almost celebrates the idea of letting pot take over one's life, i guess maybe because it's a young or underground subculture or whatever.

i mean, if you pick up the various periodicals surrounding booze - Wine Snob or Beer Afficianado or whatever, they tend to want to class drinking with living a glamorous high life. Maybe this is kind of irresponsible in its own way, but it's definitely not celebrating the 12-pack of MGD per night bro or the stinking alcoholic in the gutter. High Times, on the other hand, tends to celebrate hemp-wearing dropouts.
    Alright this is just stupid.

I am not talking about freaking magazines. I'm talking about actual people who drink and others who smoke.

Pretty much 100% of the whole "spring break" mentality at most colleges is "drink to excess, all the time." In my first post I specifically complained about people who drink to excess, and who then look down on people who smoke pot. The fact that this magazine or that magazine said some stupid shit doesn't have anything to do with what I'm saying.

You're reaching quite a bit, here.

Your opinion on people who smoke pot does not have much to do with my original point. If you're someone who gets drunk and looks down on people who do a comparable activity with a safer drug a comparable amount, you're a hypocrite. If you don't, you're not. If you just generally don't like being around potheads that's nice, but that's neither here nor there.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Maybe this is a cultural or generational thing, but I can't see how you can claim our current drink culture doesn't encourage binge drinking with a straight face.

Leitner on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Also, Mori, since we're playing LOTRO, I'm going to go ahead and delete the data files for Borderlands to make space.

Woah, that's a big change in philosophy. You do know you'll lose your character if you do that, right?

eep!

eep!

okay, no.

Also it's not a change in philosophy - I fully expect to go back at some point - I just want to make space. Hmmm.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    yeah

i guess part of my beef is that, while booze culture isn't always wonderful, it generally has a pretty strong admonition against letting drinking take over one's life. pot culture almost celebrates the idea of letting pot take over one's life, i guess maybe because it's a young or underground subculture or whatever.

i mean, if you pick up the various periodicals surrounding booze - Wine Snob or Beer Afficianado or whatever, they tend to want to class drinking with living a glamorous high life. Maybe this is kind of irresponsible in its own way, but it's definitely not celebrating the 12-pack of MGD per night bro or the stinking alcoholic in the gutter. High Times, on the other hand, tends to celebrate hemp-wearing dropouts.

Can you name one? How many High Times have you read? I assert that the parallels between the frat-bro binge drinker and the trustafarian 420-all-day-every-day smoker versus your oenophile or Podly and a guy in a suit and tie picking up his kindbud on the way home from the office make this point moot.

can i name one what?

i don't subscribe to high times, as you might have guessed, but the bit that i've leafed through them, they were definitely not shying away from celebrating the stereotypes.

to be clear, i don't think that the failing-out-of-college alcoholic bro is any better than the failing-out-of-college pothead whiteboy with dreads. i just think that the former is looked down upon within his subculture, while the latter is not.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Daxon wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »
    As Harry Hill once said, the thing about heroin is that it's very moreish.

physically it's really not so dangerous if taken in sane amounts. Trouble is the risk stays the same but desire to do more and more gets worse.

Last year I lived with a girl who's parents are police officers. As such she's privy to some of the more disgusting things the justice system does.

For example, heroin addicts are often arrested, and sentenced to jail for x months. During this period of time they'd have a very hard time getting a hold of any heroin and so their tolerance to it is lowered, yet they still desire it.

Then when they get out of jail, they go back to their dealer. They buy their heroin and take as much as they did before jail but without the tolerance so they OD and then die.

The system is rigged for them to kill themselves, and nobody gives a shit.

So before Governor Good Hair, and Governor Shrub, Texas had a program where drug offenders were placed into rehab. The recidivism rate was very low and it cost less to put a user in that program then it cost to place him into prison. The program was killed under Governor Shrub because while it was wildly effective, it wasn't tough enough on crime. The impressive part is that being Governor of Texas is a do nothing job. You have so little power that you can't do much. But he could do that.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Drunks are approximately a hundred times worse than potheads.

The worst I'd ever had to deal with from any pothead was a mild pot smell (which isn't exactly fair because I kind of enjoy it but let's count it as a negative) and overaffection.

The worst I've dealt with with drunks is belligerence, aggression, and just blinding stupidity.

I mean, it's pretty clear which is worse if you're going to judge.

EH, I've drank with a lot of people and I've only ever come across one guy who had a tendancy to get violent when drunk.

I solved that by avoiding him after it became clear he had that tendancy.

By far the most common experiences I've had with people who are drunk is laughter. Well, laughter and deep conversations that probably aren't deep at all and no one remembers the next day.

Oh yeah, I don't find too many people who get nasty when they're drunk.

Still, I've pretty much never heard of a violent pothead.

This silly alcohol or pot culture stuff, though. I mean, if someone makes either of those a significant part of their life, of course they're being foolish.

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    i don't subscribe to high times, as you might have guessed, but the bit that i've leafed through them, they were definitely not shying away from celebrating the stereotypes.

I dunno, the few times I've flipped through High Times in a Borders bookstore, there have been comic strips explicitly mocking hippie burnouts that do nothing but smoke pot and the like.

desc on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    yeah

Can you name one? How many High Times have you read? I assert that the parallels between the frat-bro binge drinker and the trustafarian 420-all-day-every-day smoker versus your oenophile or Podly and a guy in a suit and tie picking up his kindbud on the way home from the office make this point moot.

can i name one what?

to be clear, i don't think that the failing-out-of-college alcoholic bro is any better than the failing-out-of-college pothead whiteboy with dreads. i just think that the former is looked down upon within his subculture, while the latter is not.
    I don't see how you could possibly make the claim that someone failing out of college is not looked down on in a subculture as broad as "people who smoke pot."

People who fail out of college are failures no matter what subculture you belong to. I guess other than the "failed out of college and proud of it" subculture, but that's not the same as the pot subculture despite your ridiculous claims here.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Everything is a culture for Will.

Everything.

When he buys yogurt he questions its culture.

Ludious on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    yeah

can i name one what?

I meant 'name one hemp-wearing dropout celebrated by High Times'.

Really, though, we should be comparing alcohol culture during prohibition with this apparent pot culture you're perceiving today. Hint: The successful daily smokers are not the ones most likely to publicize their habit because some people look down on it irrationally.

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    i went to

wawa-l.jpg

in my

600x400-handa-gorilla-suit-01-600x400.jpg

the gm wasn't there, but the woman who interviewed me (customer service manager) was

as soon as she saw me her face lit up "oh, he finally called you to start?" and i went no, actually, i was coming in to thank you for the interview and to follow up

and she said "hmmm" and went in the office to phone him

she said he didn't answer so she left him another note, and told me the other two interviews they had since went poorly- and that i should be expecting a call from him any day

she'd better not be playing me! *wags fist*

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Will you seem to be making claims about things you really only have the vaguest grasp of. And your knowledge seems limited to pre-conceived stereotypes.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    is that some sort of native jew garb chu?

Ludious on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ludious wrote: »

Everything.

This was a very well, if untentionally done, joke.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'VE PASSED I'VE PASSED I'VE PASSED I'VE PASSED.

*runs around room naked*

WMain00 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Burtletoy wrote: »

Everything.

This was a very well, if untentionally done, joke.

sorry it was intentional

Ludious on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    is that some sort of native jew garb chu?

i was just kidding about having gone there in a gorilla suit

i actually grey slacks and a white dress shrt

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    WMain00 wrote: »

*runs around room naked*

Hurray for whatever!

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    MikeMan wrote: »
    Alright this is just stupid.

I am not talking about freaking magazines. I'm talking about actual people who drink and others who smoke.

Pretty much 100% of the whole "spring break" mentality at most colleges is "drink to excess, all the time." In my first post I specifically complained about people who drink to excess, and who then look down on people who smoke pot. The fact that this magazine or that magazine said some stupid shit doesn't have anything to do with what I'm saying.

You're reaching quite a bit, here.

Your opinion on people who smoke pot does not have much to do with my original point. If you're someone who gets drunk and looks down on people who do a comparable activity with a safer drug a comparable amount, you're a hypocrite. If you don't, you're not. If you just generally don't like being around potheads that's nice, but that's neither here nor there.

it seems to me that what you're grousing about is that it makes you mad when group X looks down on group Y because of some metric of "hypocricy"

i guess what i am saying is that mutual animosity or condescention between subcultures isn't a big deal or something to get upset about, and also that pot smoking and drinking are distinct enough activities and subcultures that disliking or looking down on one while engaging in the other doesn't rise to the level of "hypocricy" to me.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    Your new job is to play the part of Clarence Beaks in an off-off-Broadway production of Trading Places?

Bogart on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Will you seem to be making claims about things you really only have the vaguest grasp of. And your knowledge seems limited to pre-conceived stereotypes.

I feel like when Will was a youth he took everything he was told as fact and then when he hit like 18 or something he learned about skepticism and really liked it and has applied it to everything he has heard since, but not retroactively.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    you actually think he picked the one food item that has culture

when he was joking about culture

and didn't realize it?

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    So jewcar how high does peyote get you? You seem to be the person to ask

Ludious on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    WMain00 wrote: »

*runs around room naked*

YOU SEE

HERE ARE THE TERRIBLE EFFECTS OF CASUAL DRUG USE, RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU

desc on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    reefer+madness+Seduction+Kids.gif

Organichu on
  • Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ultimately subcultures surrounding any of the stuff I consume or partake in are almost never a thing for me.

I'm not into gamer culture, alcohol culture, pot culture, in any kind of roleplaying culture, whatever. I just do what I like and try to ignore all the stupid bullshit that might or might not be attached to it in some way.

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

and didn't realize it?

Doritos are also made with a fungi culture on them, to make the cooking process go faster.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Will, the issue is that you don't actually know what constitutes said culture. You are a cool dude but this is a pretty absurdly common occurence. You seem to get your knowledge of The Other from sitcoms and soccer moms and old people.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Bogart wrote: »
    Your new job is to play the part of Clarence Beaks in an off-off-Broadway production of Trading Places?

Wow.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This is shocking.

SHOCKING I TELL YOU!

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I made my wife laugh with this description of Twilight Zone. "Also known as someone got fucked and they just don't know it yet."

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I work with a couple of functioning alcoholics and they are visibly declining in a rather obvious way. Both only keep it together purely because the owners are very loyal types and that is all. It is very sad but kind of.nice that someone gives a crappy about them

In their cases it certainly is not classy

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    edited September 2010

well, my knowledge of pot culture comes from a few pothead friends i had in high school, a few pothead friends in college, and an ex-girlfriend who was really fascinated with pot culture and tried to kind of be a hanger-on with the potheads she'd meet but hada government job and couldn't smoke herself.

so i'll cede that i don't know much about the adult professional pot culture such as it is.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Burtletoy wrote: »

and didn't realize it?

Doritos are also made with a fungi culture on them, to make the cooking process go faster.

Cheeses have cultures too.

Thomamelas on
This discussion has been closed.