As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Minecraft - There is no sound, Drop to refresh durability, That's a spawn cage

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    GPIA7R wrote: »
    What decides the "lag", in this case? Is it Vic's computer, Vic's connection, or user computers?

I mean, I've got a few PC's lying around, pretty high-powered, and a solid connection... and I wouldn't mind hosting shit if it resolved lag. But if it's dependant on user PC's, I dunno if it would help.

This is not really clear. As far as I can make out right now it would seem that the undercore is very taxing for people somputers. This leads to some lag as well as crashes client-side.

The game is also very taxing for the host computer though, and how this works is a little hard to figure out. From my earlier experiences of maintaining a server this is in part due to sloppy code. When the servers first came out my server would deteriorate depending on the size of the world and number of players, at first it would remain playable for about 4 hours but eventually it would only last for about an hour. Deteriorating here meaning that it would start to lag and eventually crash. A simple restart would always solve the issue. My computer is a gaming computer built a year ago so it should not really be a hardware issue.

The server code seems much more stable now but it would seem that "heavy server strain" (over 15 players) causes the server to lag up after a couple of hours. Then there are lag spikes, periods of lag, sometimes a few players lag while others doesn't, etc. Basically I have no idea what is going on, and it seems the best I can do is to occasionally restart the server and advise people to put their viewdistance to short or tiny.

Vic on
  • Options
    Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    My ISP is being retarded and not connecting consistently... FML.

Dignified Pauper on
    PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Some sort of cache building up, probably...

Ideally, the hosting situation will be resolved as the game exits alpha. It's hard to blame such a deep game for faults when it's so early in it's production.

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    DigitalSynDigitalSyn Dr Digital Cumming, GARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Vic, what OS are you hosting the server on? I have some tips if its linux. I even have some tools I could pass on to you.

DigitalSyn on
    Xbox360: D1G1T4LSYN ( Yes, those are numbers. )
    PSNID: DigitalX86
    Nintendo ID: digitalsyn
    3DS Friend Code: 5300 - 9726 - 6963
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/D1G1T4LSYN/
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Some sort of cache building up, probably...

Ideally, the hosting situation will be resolved as the game exits alpha. It's hard to blame such a deep game for faults when it's so early in it's production.

Oh yeah, I am not throwing blame as much as acknowledging that there is a problem to work around.

I saw you trying to log in pauper, so I did a server restart just in case it was on my end.

Edit: Sorry, windows 7.

Vic on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Does anyone play in 3D mode? I'm almost curious enough to get a pair of paper 3D glasses and check out some of the Underdark

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It looks like it'd be a pretty neat effect.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Could we hide the server IPs on a simple website that requires you to enter a password to view them?
    The password being wang.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    proyebatproyebat GARY WAS HERE ASH IS A LOSERRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    FYI, I was the one putting all of that TNT and redstone in the town (VALVEJunkie I'm talking to you). I just found out how predictable the chests lose items, and could clone stacks. You'll never find my hidden stash of diamonds/gold/TNT/coal. WUAHAHAHAHA

The only TNT I've used is partly during Nuka's Science Center construction. Also I put that one block in the visitor's center (in glass), only some dick decided to blow it up. I fixed it myself, but I knew nobody would come to fix it.

Don't be a dick and stare at a hole, patch it.
    I'M NO TURRIST
    SECOND AMENDMENT BITCHES

proyebat on
    455Bo4O.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I assume you mean "I wasn't the one putting all that TNT or redstone in the town".

Please note that using OR just putting TNT anywhere near the undercore is strongly discouraged. Even if you did not plan to blow it up it is kind of like leaving a shotgun on the floor in a public building. Someone is going to make that thing go off.
    Also dupers suck

Vic on
  • Options
    proyebatproyebat GARY WAS HERE ASH IS A LOSERRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ok you win
    iamokaywiththis.jpg

EDIT:I know for sure people dumping individual items into lava chutes lags the server

Another possible cause are all the signs being rendered. Let's limit them shall we? We have tons of signs at the main entrance (that wall of signs, outisde the undercore library, above the disco building) And I wanted to but "da rules" inside the visitor's center

proyebat on
    455Bo4O.png
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Signage is not the main concern.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I got back into Minecraft last night, wasn't sure what I wanted to do... ended up deciding to build a quarry and I have vague intentions of constructing a large fortress/castle/town at the shore, but we'll see how that goes.

Just setting up my 25x25 quarry is a pretty huge undertaking, the setup isn't even finished yet because it ended up being 4am I and needed to get to sleep. Also, I needed more glass, so I dug out a lot of the shore and threw the sand into my 6 furnaces before I quit.

My god I need to build a lot of fencing as well... fucking farm animals are all over the wide open pit as I'm trying to glass in the roof. I turned it to peaceful in an effort to try and get the roof done as soon as possible, then I'll turn it back to normal while I excavate. Of course, some of my time was spent digging out a sideroom which will be a warehouse to store gained blocks, as well as be the access to the glassed in quarry.

Still, shouldn't have played that long... I'm not as tired as I thought I'd be at least. Damn Minecraft...

Dranyth on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Careful with leaving shit in furnaces. I find they have a tendency to bug out and eat all your things.

Figgy on
  • Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Nifty things I found last night:

A sign at the top of a cliff wondering what would happen if you hit the ice below with enough force.
    A human-shaped hole in the ice below.
    A sky-city well on it's way to completion. VERY cool.
    A tunnel in the ice outside that leads into another maze of tunnels underground.
    A new inhabitant (Rodgerick) that has apparently gone mad (read his signs. He's just right of Raeki's mansion)
    Lag = Duplicated diamond picks
    The police station is closed off w/ obsidian
    Nuka has a mini waterfall in his living room, but I can't figure out how...

Buckets don't work so Vic put in some blocks of water. I dug a hole, made a mirror image of the fireplace (it works and it's safe I tested it away from my house so I know it's not going to burn everything down!) and I made a hole for the spring. I put the block inside and voila!

Also I did the same in the bedroom with this little mini garden thing I have.

nuka on
    DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I'd like to officially announce that project Goonie is in full effect.

When finished, it will be an enormous pirate ship in an underground lake cavern. The entrance is hidden for now.

Figgy on
  • Options
    Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I know where it is!!!! I helped to clear out the roof.

Dignified Pauper on
    PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    So... just...

I'm trying to type this out in a way that makes sense in "code" to draw it out in ascii, but it's not working.

Let's say I'm facing my rock wall.

ffffff, nevermind, I can't even explain in words how to do it.

So, step by step, essentially, how do you make it? I think I found a block of water somewhere.

Or, hell, if it's not easy to explain, feel free to put one in my place :P

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I don't mean to insult Vic but I think the problem is Vic's server. I used it a lot early on and it did get pretty laggy and bad at times, and then I used Zetx's server running the same version of the program and it was silky smooth the whole time, up for like a week or something.

Vic, have you looked into methods for allocating more RAM to the server, or are you just running it with base settings?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    RISE, RAPTURE!

mc_rap001.jpg

mc_rap002.jpg

mc_rap003.jpg

Our Surface Simulation Dome is pretty much finished, complete with artificial clouds. The Dome is going to be the new hub of Rapture's future expansion, and we've cleared a huge area out around it for future use.

mc_rap004.jpg

We stole the job posting idea you Underdark fellows had, but lo! THE BOARD REMAINS UNUSED. Why? Because the indomitable industry that is Rapture cannot be stopped.

Speaking of Industry, we've expanded South of the Dome and added a new industrial center - Hephaestus. Here, one can find an infinite lava supply machine and all the furnaces required to keep Rapture aflush with glass. NEVER SHALL THE FIRES CEASE.

mc_rap005.jpg

mc_rap006.jpg

mc_rap007.jpg

We have also vastly improved the entrance from the Lighthouse, which is now a complete Boathysphere ride!

mc_rap008.jpg

mc_rap009.jpg

mc_rap010.jpg

So come! Visit Rapture, and you too can labor towards a better tomorrow!

Ein on
  • Options
    DigitalSynDigitalSyn Dr Digital Cumming, GARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I don't mean to insult Vic but I think the problem is Vic's server. I used it a lot early on and it did get pretty laggy and bad at times, and then I used Zetx's server running the same version of the program and it was silky smooth the whole time, up for like a week or something.

Vic, have you looked into methods for allocating more RAM to the server, or are you just running it with base settings?

Well, not to let the cat out of the bag earlier, but I have extended an offer to host Vics world on my server. Its a proper server in a datacenter based in Atlanta. Nothing is set in stone, but I hope this will stabilize it significantly

DigitalSyn on
    Xbox360: D1G1T4LSYN ( Yes, those are numbers. )
    PSNID: DigitalX86
    Nintendo ID: digitalsyn
    3DS Friend Code: 5300 - 9726 - 6963
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/D1G1T4LSYN/
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    God damn that stuff is impressive, Ein. Good work, everyone that's helping with it.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    atat23 wrote: »
    SoulGate wrote: »
    Survey: If you had to walk a labyrinth, would you prefer one that loops, or one with a definite beginning and an end?

Example.

http://duramecho.com/Art/RainbowLabyrinths/RomanLabyrinths/RomanLabyrinthLoopedSpectrum.png

take a look at the maze in the underdark, it has 2 levels with ladders and holes, if you fuck up and go in the wrong hole :winky: you have to find your way back. It got me pretty lost. (hats off)

Thanks, but I'm going for the traditial labyrinth, that are mostly found like in the tiling of old churches and stuff. Since my project is a massive cathedral, I want a massive classic labyrinth inlaid to the floor. That way people have the option to either follow it, gawk at it, or just walk over it to the other side.

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Lux782Lux782 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

"This is no joke. Do not start playing minecraft. I made windows from sand!"

Lux782 on
  • Options
    AnakinOUAnakinOU Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ein wrote: »
    Speaking of Industry, we've expanded South of the Dome and added a new industrial center - Hephaestus. Here, one can find an infinite lava supply machine and all the furnaces required to keep Rapture aflush with glass. NEVER SHALL THE FIRES CEASE.

Wait...infinite lava supply? How'd you do that? I thought it was impossible!

AnakinOU on
  • Options
    SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Lux782 wrote: »

"This is no joke. Do not start playing minecraft. I made windows from sand!"

ahahaha, oh that gabe.

I can't wait for that newspost on Friday. If not a comic, at least Gabriel telling us about his adventures.

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    AnakinOU wrote: »

Wait...infinite lava supply? How'd you do that? I thought it was impossible!

Lava can be pulled from flowing lava via buckets. Only certain parts can be pulled though, and they will replenish themselves as long as the source block stays in tact. In this case, the source block is above and in the wall.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    SUPER THREE DIMENSIONAL DIAGRAM OF THE INFINITE LAVA MACHINE:
    TOP:

[COLOR="Black"][][][][][]
    []      []
    []  []  []
    []      [][/COLOR]

MIDDLE:

[][COLOR="Red"][][/COLOR]  [color="Red"][][/color][]
    []  []  []
    []  []  [][/COLOR]

BOTTOM:

[][][][][]
    [][][][][]
    []  []  [][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="SlateGray"]  []  [][/COLOR]

The red blocks; these are solid, you put the lava source (bucket full) ONTOP of them.

The gray blocks are the half-steps.

I suck at describing this, but there you go. Put a lid on it to taste.

Ein on
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    i'm a bit sad that i think my email to tycho fell short with my praise of minecraft before it got this big, but since gabe is playing it I have no doubt he has tried it as well :mrgreen:

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Holy shit making a tree house is fun. You have no idea what shape it will end up, so you plant trees on top of trees and then have to react to how nature works. And whilst i wait for the trees to grow i explore any of the myriad caves in the neighbourhood. This tree house is going to be the biggest ever! I was kinda getting bored of smp but making this tree house has made it all so random that's it's awesome again :D

Lly on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    TOP:

[]      []
    []  []  []
    []      [][/COLOR]

MIDDLE:

[]  []  []
    []  []  [][/COLOR]

BOTTOM:

[][][][][]
    [][][][][]
    []  []  [][/COLOR]

The red blocks; these are solid, you put the lava source (bucket full) ONTOP of them.

I think that makes sense... so you put one lava source block on each block you have marked red then? Does it have to be clean stone or does cobblestone work as well? And then, where can you pull lava from, at the half blocks or further down where it's falling?

Edit: Whoops, I looked back at your picture again, I get it now, I was thinking originally of the big falling lava spouts you had, now I see it's the compact thing in the wall. Very strange. But you grab lava where it flows against the half-blocks I assume.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

And yet when I played on Zetx's server it was laggy as all fuck for the entire night. Everyone was experiencing it.

Figgy on
  • Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Right, I just had Minecraft crash twice on Vic's. Game goes black screen and freezes. Is this a known issue with the new version? With the server? Is it on my end?

AkimboEG on
    Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Was there another rollback with zetx's server within the last 30 hours or so? I was working on a hall off the biodome in rapture, and when I logged in just now it seems to have been replaced =/

If there was a rollback, then okay, but if someone went and replaced it- not cool. D: It's weird though, all the stuff in the biodome that was changed while I was working on it, including the furnaces I added, is there still.

Anzekay on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Dranyth wrote: »
    TOP:

[]      []
    []  []  []
    []      [][/COLOR]

MIDDLE:

[]  []  []
    []  []  [][/COLOR]

BOTTOM:

[][][][][]
    [][][][][]
    []  []  [][/COLOR]

I think that makes sense... so you put one lava source block on each block you have marked red then? Does it have to be clean stone or does cobblestone work as well? And then, where can you pull lava from, at the half blocks or further down where it's falling?

Edit: Whoops, I looked back at your picture again, I get it now, I was thinking originally of the big falling lava spouts you had, now I see it's the compact thing in the wall. Very strange. But you grab lava where it flows against the half-blocks I assume.

No, actually, you pull lava from the top blocks. The highest point. After a second, it refreshes as it flows in from the other side. :)

You can use any nonflammable material for this thing. Cobblestone works. I made mine out of obsidian because it was around, and because I didn't want people accidentally digging into it from the ocean and breaking the furnace.

Ein on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Dranyth wrote: »
    TOP:

[]      []
    []  []  []
    []      [][/COLOR]

MIDDLE:

[]  []  []
    []  []  [][/COLOR]

BOTTOM:

[][][][][]
    [][][][][]
    []  []  [][/COLOR]

No, actually, you pull lava from the top blocks. The highest point. After a second, it refreshes as it flows in from the other side. :)

You can use any nonflammable material for this thing. Cobblestone works. I made mine out of obsidian because it was around, and because I didn't want people accidentally digging into it from the ocean and breaking the furnace.

Ahhh, ok. What's to prevent you from accidently grabbing the source block though? Just that the flow block is in front of it I suppose and so it's the first to get picked up?

Dranyth on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I'm actually pretty sure that you ARE grabbing the source block, but for whatever reason, the one next to it will refresh it and there'll be a new source block after a second.

It's weird as hell, but it works.

Ein on
  • Options
    TwoQuestionsTwoQuestions Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I haven't played this game yet, but seeing videos and this thread, I must try it.

I fear it will consume me whole, what with me being such a fan of Dwarf Fortress and an irrational fanboy of Dungeon Keeper.

If I'm not seen again, look for my world. I'll have remade it in my image.

TwoQuestions on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh shit. The shade from my tree house is allowing mobs to hang around underneath it throughout the day. Just got shot off my ladder by a bloody skeleton! Gonna have to make a safe perimeter.

Lly on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Lly wrote: »
    Oh shit. The shade from my tree house is allowing mobs to hang around underneath it throughout the day. Just got shot off my ladder by a bloody skeleton! Gonna have to make a safe perimeter.

:^: hah.

bowen on
This discussion has been closed.