As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

CIV 5 THREAD: REJOICE MACLOSERS YOU CAN GET ON STEAM W/IT

• Options
    IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    If you turn off time victory, can you play as long as you want to complete the other victories? I thought the game ended in 2050 no matter what, at least for score and winning.

Ivar on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    TheStig wrote: »
    Yeah, it's the sorta game that's fun, but needs an expansion or two.

Anyway, my great forest empire is doing well.
    This was my strategy:
    Start as Iroquois (and restart until you actually get forest around you, ugh)
    Expand early and often, with help from the liberty tree.
    Build all your cities 3 spaces from each other, but make sure they're connected by forest.
    fill your forests with trading posts and lumber mills, tech up to long house.
    get whatever buildings and wonders help with trade, market, machu picchu, etc.
    spend money on city-states.

I did a game on Monday with the Iroquis that just went...poorly. It was so bad. On the Earth map they started me in the upper right corner of Russia. So much awful Tundra. I didn't even save it. I think I got to like 1900 and decided fuck this noise.

But then I read this post here, Stig's post, that was like the Heaven's opened and shined down upon my Civ playing with a cosmic light that can only be described as blissful. I started a new game this morning and it plunked me in the middle of a bunch of forests and jungles. Awesome. I had no idea where in the world I was yet but hey, I'm surrounded by the good shit. And even more of the good shit, enough forest and jungle to expand up to 5 cities. Turns out, I was in China. When I stopped playing earlier, I had conquered Rome (who started in the same place as my fail game), was pulling 200 gold a turn and had all the city states on my side. As soon as I research the UN, it's gonna be game over.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Nice, I'm like 20 turns away from the UN in my game.
    (I was tired and thought the pentagon was the UN and teched to it :( )

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Getting rather disappointed with this game. It's slow and it's often crashing. Maybe there are good computers on which it is a swift gazelle, but this clunking is getting dull.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ivar wrote: »
    If you turn off time victory, can you play as long as you want to complete the other victories? I thought the game ended in 2050 no matter what, at least for score and winning.

Turning time victory off allows you to play to your heart's content.

Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    Andrew RyanAndrew Ryan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The best civ for making a large empire is India.

Andrew Ryan on
    Mbt2W.gifbLHcF.gifMbt2W.gifbLHcF.gif
    naknaknaknaknak
  • Options
    deadlyrhetoricdeadlyrhetoric "We could be two straight lines in a crooked world."__BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    Assuming you can bear to play as that asswhole Gandhi.

deadlyrhetoric on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Ghandi's notorious reputation aside, India's civ trait is the most amazing thing I have ever seen for making large empires.

Andrew Ryan on
    naknaknaknaknak
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    you're either hilarious or you need to work on your reading comprehension

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ghandi's notorious reputation aside, India's civ trait is the most amazing thing I have ever seen for making large empires.

Not at all, dude.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Macro9 wrote: »

Not at all, dude.

At a population of 6, the bonus is a wash. Beyond that, Gandhi's trait is a reduction of unhappiness.

Obviously, a lot of population 4 cities will drag you down, but if you have enough maritime city states, you'll easily get past that.

Garthor on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    That's fine if you don't have many cities. If you go making dozens of them and capturing cities you'll be in for a surprise.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    That's fine if you don't have many cities. If you go making dozens of them and capturing cities you'll be in for a surprise.

Gandhi's bonus is that population produces 0.5 unhappiness (instead of 1) and cities produce 4 unhappiness (instead of 2). For a size 3 city, that means Gandhi gets 1 unhappiness from population and 4 unhappiness from the city. For any other leader, they would get 3 unhappiness from the population and 2 from the city. Gandhi's bonus breaks even when you have cities with a population of 3 or 4 (sorry I got it wrong the first time, was working off of memory), and is a bonus at a population of 5 (as unhappiness is rounded down, not up).

So, if you have a huge empire of cities with a population of 3 or greater, Gandhi's bonus helps (or at least, doesn't hurt) you. If you have a huge empire of cities with a population of 1 or 2, Gandhi's bonus does NOT help you. However, how often do you have cities THAT small? Seriously, you can get a size 2 city the turn after it's founded, with enough Maritime city-states.

Garthor on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    SabreMau wrote: »
    Getting rather disappointed with this game. It's slow and it's often crashing. Maybe there are good computers on which it is a swift gazelle, but this clunking is getting dull.

I haven't had any crashes yet but it is really slow and runs pretty badly for me. I'm hoping I can improve things by sticking some more RAM in when I've got some cash.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Thanks for making me look like a fool. I appreciate it.
    I really do appreciate it.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Additionally, if you take the civic policy that reduces unhappiness from number of cities by 50% you now get only 2 unhappiness from cities again, countering the negative effects of the civ trait.

Just because at a quick glance it appears to suggest he shouldn't build a lot of cities, that disadvantage of double city unhappiness is the only way to make this trait even close to balanced, even so it's probably the absolute strongest, possibly competing with japan's bushido trait.

Andrew Ryan on
    naknaknaknaknak
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    A quick check to see if you were better off with ghandi's trait for happiness, mouse over your happiness chart, if you doubled the unhappiness from number of cities and halved the number from population, would you have more happiness?

Andrew Ryan on
    naknaknaknaknak
  • Options
    animal companionanimal companion xenomortis Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I played the demo for this shit

animal companion on
    VdxNI.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Did you play human?

TheStig on
  • Options
    CantideCantide Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Garthor wrote: »

Gandhi's bonus is that population produces 0.5 unhappiness (instead of 1) and cities produce 4 unhappiness (instead of 2). For a size 3 city, that means Gandhi gets 1 unhappiness from population and 4 unhappiness from the city. For any other leader, they would get 3 unhappiness from the population and 2 from the city. Gandhi's bonus breaks even when you have cities with a population of 3 or 4 (sorry I got it wrong the first time, was working off of memory), and is a bonus at a population of 5 (as unhappiness is rounded down, not up).

So, if you have a huge empire of cities with a population of 3 or greater, Gandhi's bonus helps (or at least, doesn't hurt) you. If you have a huge empire of cities with a population of 1 or 2, Gandhi's bonus does NOT help you. However, how often do you have cities THAT small? Seriously, you can get a size 2 city the turn after it's founded, with enough Maritime city-states.

Just to play devil's advocate, this doesn't necessarily make Gandhi the best choice for a large empire.

Aside from your capital, it's unlikely you're going to have many cities past size 12, and quite a lot that are smaller. By your math, that means most cities will get no more than a 4 point reduction in unhappiness. So Gandhi's ability is similar, and often inferior, to getting a free no-upkeep additional Colosseum in every city.

This is nice, but not amazing. While India can achieve a higher max population than others while maintaining a happy empire, arguably Rome's production bonus is superior overall. And since a large empire is very dependent on maritime city states, it's also arguable that Greece and Siam's bonuses with city-states are more useful.

Cantide on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I think Siam is easily the best when you consider that the AI will rarely try to buy back city-states.

Against another player he may not be so great.

TheStig on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Great for Diplomatic victories and single city challenges. Only one that I've won was with Siam.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    SupraluminalSupraluminal Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Re: performance, it's definitely a dog. I haven't had any crashes, but plenty of niggling bugs and it certainly doesn't run as well as you'd expect given the nice but not amazing graphics.

Gandhi's trait is pretty rad, regardless of how many cities you have. I don't think it's outright superior to the other top-tier contenders, though, like the aforementioned Japan, Rome, Greece, and Siam.

Supraluminal on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I think the Iroquois are one of the top civs now if you actually get a decent starting location.

TheStig on
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I haven't played with them yet, but that seems potentially rad

I'm playing as the French right now on an Archipelago map in a sad attempt to win a cultural victory but I'm failing pretty hard. I'm only first in the world for culture/tech/wonders, everything else I'm trailing p. bad

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I had to quit my low city cultural victory attempt with england.

I had 2 cities, one with a really shitty location but everything else that was close was desert. Anyway, I quit because I was at war with America for like 500 years and all Washington did was send wave after wave of his own minutemen into my 5 ships of the line, like they had some sort of pre-set kill limit. There was no way he was going to take my capitol like that but he refused to make peace even after I killed at least 25 of his units, simply because he still had a larger army.

I wish units had a kill counter.

TheStig on
  • Options
    animal companionanimal companion xenomortis Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    TheStig wrote: »
    Did you play human?

No, I played Egyptian. Still pretty good though

went for a three city timing push

animal companion on
    VdxNI.jpg
  • Options
    HamjuHamju Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Man what. So I'm Japanese and my highest populated cities are 7, 7, and 8. Persia puts a city down in the middle of the fucking desert right near my territory (effectively cutting me off from the rest of the world) and it's pop 6. Eat my ass.

Hamju on
    kekekesigshortercuzthinsacunt.jpg
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Cantide wrote: »
    So Gandhi's ability is similar, and often inferior, to getting a free no-upkeep additional Colosseum in every city.

This is nice, but not amazing.

The thing is, this is a source of Happiness that no other civilization has access to. Calling it a "free no-upkeep additional Colosseum in every city" is fairly accurate, but it is amazing. It's incredibly powerful.

Captain K on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I really like Greece's ability. With a minimal investment in the city state social policy, it takes centuries for relations with city states to degrade.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So the power hungry Americans finally decided to attack me.

Not your smartest move, George, when my magnificent fleet patrols the waters and you have to move your mostly-land based force across the ocean to attack me. Oh, and it seems you have your hands busy with my 3 city-state allies near your borders.

First, I took Philadelphia to gain a strong hold on his land. Then I burned down Chicago to send a message. Then I captured Boston. Peace will not be free, George, for you have woken the sleeping giant.

Oh, and India, which had been reduced to one city by a war with China (which I instigated) decided to get in on the fun. It only took 1 destroyer, 1 ship of the line, and 1 rifleman to scour the Indian empire from the Earth

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Gentlemen, I give you The Blanket of Doom

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Holy hell on a hotplate

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Good thing I have a stacking mod installed

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm playing Songhai on an Earth map. I've wiped out Arabia and Iroquois, and I'm in the process of wiping out Persia. After that I'll have all of Europe and Asia. America is in Africa, so they're next.

Ghandi keeps calling me an asshole, and telling me to get my army away from his cities. He's declared war on me a couple of times. I've never even seen any of his cities.

Ivar on
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Beasteh wrote: »
    World leaders will speak their native language (it is super neat hearing how they managed to figure out what ancient egyptian sounded like)

Wait what - where can you hear them talk about it?!

I didn't catch anything in the behind the scenes feature...

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    this game wouldn't let me get the science victory

I had the last part on my capitol but it didn't give me the option to assemble it

So instead i got the diplomatic & military victories (Almost got cultural too, but I only unlocked the utopia project with like 6 turns to go and it was greyed out)

Think that means I should be on something harder than Prince

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    el_vicio wrote: »
    Beasteh wrote: »
    World leaders will speak their native language (it is super neat hearing how they managed to figure out what ancient egyptian sounded like)

Wait what - where can you hear them talk about it?!

I didn't catch anything in the behind the scenes feature...

I think I remember seeing that the Collector's Edition came with commentary tracks.

But he could be referring to one of the Civ V Podcasts that were being released leading up to launch.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Oh, I'll browse the podcasts then, I need to know this, thanks!

edit: urgh jeez there's quite a bunch of 'em, there goes my sleep this night

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    What are the little red patches on the map? They don't seem to do anything that I can see

Zombies Tossed My Salad! on