As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

CIV 5 THREAD: REJOICE MACLOSERS YOU CAN GET ON STEAM W/IT

• Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Oh, I'm stupid. That was only four days ago.

I was away from this thread for a while, thought it was posted earlier than that.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm all out of native american jokes. :(

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    TheStig wrote: »
    I'm all out of native american jokes. :(

Do something about fire water, or maybe spirit based ballistic weapons.

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I was going to do a firewater resource that could be traded to them no matter how much they already had. I couldn't find a good wording for it though.

TheStig on
  • Options
    MaceraMacera UGH GODDAMMIT STOP ENJOYING THINGSRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Upon acquiring a wine tile, all production ceases

Macera on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    perfect

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So they announced some DLC for a week from today. $5 for Babylon if you don't have it already, and the Mongols are free for everyone.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    So they announced some DLC for a week from today. $5 for Babylon if you don't have it already, and the Mongols are free for everyone.

Yay

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    patch plz. DLC later.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Civs are nice, but I'd rather have things like spies, culture capping cities, and better AI.

TheStig on
  • Options
    IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I want a patch so I can finish my Bollywood game

In the meantime I guess I'll just murder everyone with my hoplites

Ivar on
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I just want someone to win my remaining two victories with (diplomatic and science) and Babylon will be fabulous for the latter

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I won a space race victory with Babylon, it was pretty easy

Ivar on
  • Options
    FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I can only repeat myself: The Babylionian Acoustics Slingshot is a thing of beauty. Hurl rocks at people while your enemies barely manage to shoot pointy sticks.

Thinking about it, I think the Classical Era is a tad short.

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Ferrus wrote: »
    I can only repeat myself: The Babylionian Acoustics Slingshot is a thing of beauty. Hurl rocks at people while your enemies barely manage to shoot pointy sticks.

Thinking about it, I think the Classical Era is a tad short.

Nothing a Marathon game can't fix

Ivar on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Hm. Think I found another bug. I made peace with Germany after conquering their capital, but I never got a message saying the peace treaty was over. It was supposed to last 10 turns, and it shows up as a historical deal (meaning, not active anymore), but when I talk to Bismarck it says I can't declare war until the current peace treaty is over. Have any of you seen something like this before?

Ivar on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, I would get similar things to occur with Research agreements. Could've swore I saw it mentioned it the patch notes.

EDIT: Yep, here we go.
    AI
    Military – Better handling of unit need (navy vs land, etc.) .
    Military - AI will tend to build ships to deal with blockaded cities more often
    Military – Corrected an issue hampering movement of AI armies, especially when in close proximity to enemy forces
    Diplomacy – AI will be more reluctant to offer or accept open border agreements with more powerful opponents.
    Diplomacy – Fix for never ending deals (peace, research agreements, etc).
    City – City specialization and city focus improvements.
    City - Cities that are Avoiding Growth will not grow while that option is selected
    Workers – Priority of trading posts reduced, and rebalanced priorities on other improvements
    Workers – Improved the path-finding mechanic when building route-to roads improved, including a large performance increase when evaluating road-pathing.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    SupraluminalSupraluminal Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I wonder if that also fixes deals ending repeatedly. I often get a notice of an expired peace treaty every single turn after the 10th, when they initially expire. And apparently some people get the same thing with trade deals, complete with a repeating increase/decrease in available resource quantities.

Supraluminal on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    fuck cities that get ornery because they're "starving"

the state granaries are full, you've got twenty turns of food left until anyone starts starving and dying

you're not "starving," you're on the dole

they should be grateful I've decided to feed them at all

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    JigrahJigrah Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Anyone play Cities XL 2010?

Jigrah on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Heard it was terrible.

TheStig on
  • Options
    SupraluminalSupraluminal Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I played a demo. It was indeed basically terrible. Some interesting ideas, but mostly shit.

Supraluminal on
  • Options
    JigrahJigrah Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    From a business standpoint the video game industry looks like a child with broken legs trying to dance. How is it that games that suck even get released? Although Hollywood is the same way, and Hollywood definitely has experience and age.

Jigrah on
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I wonder if that also fixes deals ending repeatedly. I often get a notice of an expired peace treaty every single turn after the 10th, when they initially expire. And apparently some people get the same thing with trade deals, complete with a repeating increase/decrease in available resource quantities.

Results are ultimately hilarious.

Yeah, i'm only 100 iron in debt. So what.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The new patch is on Steam.

Looking forward to starting a new game and finding out wether or not it's a noticeable improvement.

Edit: Shiiiiit the AI uses Horsemen now.

Ferrus on
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Ferrus wrote: »
    Edit: Shiiiiit the AI uses Horsemen now.

We're fucked.

TheStig on
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Like horses will stop my killer death robots.

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    wooo patch.

Tell me how it is, I'm far too busy and important to make judgments like that myself.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    So far the AI seems a lot less expansion-happy now. I'm on a continent with Washington, Suleiman, Wu and Ram and so far nobody started blobbing - except me and I only killed of Siam.

The city mangement AI seems a bit off though. It happily assigns tiles that will make my cities starve.

Edit: AI turns are faster now. But I'm only in the late middle ages right now, so I can't tell if it's going to get worse later on.

Ferrus on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I first noticed it was patched when my workers only sold for 7 gold instead of 20. So, Wealth has a point to it now I guess.

Scooter on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    does the multi work yet

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    FavlaudFavlaud just straight up awful Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Man I should probably know this after my fourth or fifth game, but does anyone have a detailed explanation as to what pacts of secrecy/cooperation do?

Favlaud on
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Favlaud wrote: »
    Man I should probably know this after my fourth or fifth game, but does anyone have a detailed explanation as to what pacts of secrecy/cooperation do?

The person you sign a pact of coop with will be...well...more cooperative. Its like a slight rep boost and makes them a bit more likely to accept future deals. Secrecy work the other way, the person you sign it against will have decreased relations with the two of you.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I have not played this game in 3 weeks. Has the horrible aggressive wont ever surrender and give me some of his stuff AI been fixed yet?

Barcardi on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The way I had heard it was that a Pact of Secrecy is a lot like a Pact of Cooperation where you get better deals with the person who proposed it/you proposed it to.

The only catch with Secrecy is that you have to keep up your end of the deal by not doing any deals or discussions with the Civ that you two are conspiring against.

I can't remember where I heard that though, so maybe it was wrong.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    JC of DI wrote: »
    The way I had heard it was that a Pact of Secrecy is a lot like a Pact of Cooperation where you get better deals with the person who proposed it/you proposed it to.

The only catch with Secrecy is that you have to keep up your end of the deal by not doing any deals or discussions with the Civ that you two are conspiring against.

I can't remember where I heard that though, so maybe it was wrong.

If that's the case, I wish the game would remind me if I had any pact of secrecy deals active on that player when they offer me stuff.

edit: fuck, it's 2am.

TheStig on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Uuuuugh, that round was fucking disgusting

started off really well, but by the end I had put myself in an economic/policy position that wasn't suited for warfare and suddenly everyone started looking at me like I shit on their dinner plate

also it's quarter to 4 in the morning :(

Favlaud on
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So I played through the demo twice and I think I want to get this. Do you guys think they will have it on sale monday with the content patch? Since Valve usually does that with their own games.

Otherwise Im wondering if theres any advantage to getting a boxed copy. A manual might be handy during play but the in game tutorials seem nice enough to not really need one.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    There is a digital copy of the manual http://civilization5.com/#/community/feature_manual

TheStig on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Unless you're willing to spend $100 to get the super-deluxe edition with metal figurines and stuff, then there's not much incentive to get a physical copy

Favlaud on