Options

Vanguard: Something About Heroes and Sagas

• Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    We roll on Flamehammer.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Raivotar is my character's name. Vulmane Dread Knight. Poke him in his furry, grumpy ass if we ever manage to cobble a guild together.

Liquid Ghost on
  • Options
    StratoStrato Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Raivotar is my character's name. Vulmane Dread Knight. Poke him in his furry, grumpy ass if we ever manage to cobble a guild together.

I knew everyone was making that!

I think I might make a bard instead, though. If you actually get to hear the songs...

6 hours to go on the download

Strato on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I think I should've chosen another race, because the Vulmane starting area was apparently designed by a Tauren-obsessed seven year old kid. A slightly spastic seven year old kid with a permanent half-erection and a randomly twitching arm resulting from having his head slammed in the microwave door.

Liquid Ghost on
  • Options
    ElectricBoogalooElectricBoogaloo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Alright Flamehammer it is.
    Gnome Necromancer by the name of Poppen Fresh.

ElectricBoogaloo on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    mantis23mantis23 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    oh man dying sucks in this game....when you wipe at the very bottom of a dungeon and theres no hope of making a corpse run...that 10% xp hit REALLY stings....

but I will say, even with the xp loss, this game is all kinds of fun.

mantis23 on
    0y6kx4rwubui.jpg
  • Options
    The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I don't suppose anyone can hook me up with a buddy key?

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    anyways we can get the op to start compiling names ?

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    edited February 2007
    Man I'm hooked now. Got to level 5 and got some dungeon quests and died a couple times trying to complete them so I decided to craft some. Crafting is pretty complex and takes a crap load of work but I managed to make a cap and bracers. Felt like a real achievement. It was pretty awesome. I feel like I really am playing the follow up to EQ. Tomorrow I shall grind to 6 for some new spells and then maybe I can take that dungeon, if not I'll find someone to group with.

ElectricBoogaloo on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    So.. I bought this damn thing, dunno why because I'm broke and currently unemployeed, BUT I'm downloading it now and should be on sometime today.

I really shouldn't be allowed to have credit cards =(

edit: The installer music is nice...

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Waiting for response from World Servers...

Liquid Ghost on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    My download had 4 hours to go when I went to sleep and 8 hours to go when I woke up. Hopefully it should finish today. I want to play this thing.

Right now I'm thinking Thestran Bard. Does anyone know if you can actually hear the bard songs or if it's pretty generic? I would enjoy crafting my own melodies to hear during battle. :P

Then again I also like playing a tank because pick up groups with a bad tank can never work.

Strato on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I guess it's downloading the Cab files one by one. There are 4 of them and all but one sizes in at 2 gigs. Cab5 is somewhere around 700 mb. It took me 4-6 hours to dl them all on a cable connection, but I had simultaneous downloads going and wasn't using a client.

ElectricBoogaloo on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    yeah, there was a patch this morning i believe not exactly sure what time though. also strato just stop the dl if your using the launchpad and restart it that seems to help, I came home from work one noight and ti said 659 days left or something i restarted and it went back to 2 hours .
    you might beable to hear the songs but doubt it strato , prolly generic.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    edited February 2007
    I downloaded the 11mb installer, ran it, gave it my account and trial key, then it started "updating" which I assume meaning it's downloading the whole game for me. It was at like 13 gigs when I left this morning. Hopefully I did the right thing, cause there weren't really instructions anywhere on the site.

Strato on
  • Options
    FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    ya you did fine... it's got about 4gb to go

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Welp I'm in and I made the most original char ever! Vulmane Dread Knight!!!
    His name is Littleboots (most original name ever too!)

I'm liking the game so far, runs pretty well on balanced settings (45-60fps avg) and I've only run into one bugged quest so far. So hit me up in game for a group.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Server populations are going to look a bit like 60% dreadknight 30% monk. Everyone loves them some dreadknights.

ElectricBoogaloo on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    They need to give other classes (besides psionicist and blood mage) cooler names to compete.

I probably won't be a bard if the song sounds suck either. But maybe, since we seem to have enough tanks.

Druid is also tempting.

How many characters can we make anyway?

Strato on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I think you can have 8 characters, I also just made a bard to check it out... she started with a cool looking set of armor and an neat sword that looks like Cloud's from FF7. But I'm going to take a nap, I'll be back on tonight around 9est if anyone wants to group up.

LittleBoots on

• Options
    edited February 2007
    yeah 8 total regardless of server. You can pay sony some extra money a month to get 4 more character slots though. 8's always been enough for me though.

ElectricBoogaloo on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MephianseMephianse Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Question: Has anyone played monk yet, cause im all over that shit! You can specialize in DRUNKEN! thats fucking badass! I love monks, I played a monk in EQ, EQ2, FFXI, and the equivalent of one in AO....so any monks out there? I loved the animations in EQ2 so if they are as good, if not better i might pick this game up.

Question: MY hardware is kinda aging...I have amd athlon 2600+ 2.04 ghz with 1gb ram, and a Radeon 9800 Pro XT with 256 mb ram
    Im guessing its not going to run well what do you think?
    I might be upgrading to the Geforce 7600 GT with 256mb DDr3, you think that will help much?

Mephianse on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I'll be sure to let you all know how it runs on my "shit" machine when I get home today. 1gb RAM and 9600XT with 128mb.

Strato on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    The Monks in my guild who were also Monks in our EQ guild say they are great. There's some other style they are going with though that helps for soloing.

I played a Monk in EQ as well (65 human monk... played through Luclin and most of Planes of Power)... FD pulling is alive and well in VG apperantly but I just didn't want to go through the pain of not being one of the min/max classes especially given that the EQ team made this game.

I had my share of being the class that was always trying to define it's place in groups and raids (when I wasn't pulling)... so I went cleric.

FaceballMcDougal on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Definately let me know how it runs on your shit system cause mine is pretty similar.

As far as monk goes, hmm still sounds cool. If i didnt play monk id prolly go Druid.

Mephianse on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    There is a gnome warrior type running around on Flamehammer named lazorz peewpeew. I have seen some pretty hilarious names. Still seems like there are too few people though.

ElectricBoogaloo on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    face do you have a chr name or are you running on a nother servers ?

Draeven on

• Options
    edited February 2007
    I'm on Gulgrethor with my old guild

FaceballMcDougal on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    ahh right on right on.

Draeven on

• Options
    krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm on Gulgrethor with my old guild

cool, my buddy is playing on that sever as well - so i rolled my char there. I have a Orc Monk on there named Dracos. Think I hit level 9 last night. I really hope they fix that bug in the goblin town soon (with all the human settlers running around, not dying), its bringing my FPS to like 3-5 hah.

i wasn't blown away by the game when i played in the pre-order weekend, and i'm still not now. but it feels like it has some decent potential, hopefully it will reach it sooner than later.

krylon666 on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    It's always annoying trying to organize with others what server to be on, not to mention being at the same level once you are on the same server.

C'est le jeu.

So some people are actually on Flamehammer? Like, four?

Strato on
  • Options
    CripTonicCripTonic Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Circle one (or bold, color, or whatever. Draw on your monitor if necessary):

PURCHASE / WAIT FOR A FEW MORE PATCHES / DO NOT PURCHASE

CripTonic on
    0liDg.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    *circles the WAIT option*

*draws stick figures fucking on the side*

Liquid Ghost on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    The good thing about bugs and playing early in an MMO is that you sometimes get in before some nerfs hit...

FaceballMcDougal on
  • Options
    Nore KhadafiNore Khadafi Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    So I'd like to try this game but I don't have the cash right now to risk on a game I might hate. Does anyone have any kind of trial key they'd be willing to give me? I heard the game launched with a 'buddy key' or something...if anyone's not using theirs I'll love you long time if you PM me.

Nore Khadafi on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    So I'd like to try this game but I don't have the cash right now to risk on a game I might hate. Does anyone have any kind of trial key they'd be willing to give me? I heard the game launched with a 'buddy key' or something...if anyone's not using theirs I'll love you long time if you PM me.

Im going to ask the same thing, if any fellow PA'er who has a buddy pass laying around mind pming about it, id love to try the game out also

Mephianse on
  • Options
    NionNion Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Perhaps a list of people who want trial keys and who have recieved them is in order, seeing how lots of people, including me, have asked for keys in this thread, and it would be more fair that those who posted first get trial keys first, if any are available, rather than have the tread devolve into a "make sure my request is always visible"-spamfest.

Nion on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Ok dudes, I'm finally playing the game.

It actually runs well enough on my "shit" system, with the settings down at the bottom.

I tried out Bard first. Didn't really like that. No cool song sounds and an annoying repeating image effect. Dread knight isn't bad, they were pretty beefy.

I just played Druid and am having a blast (pun intended) with that class. I'm gonna try out a few more but this looks like the winner at the moment.

As a wood elf I can change into Okami and run around. Heh.

Strato on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Strato wrote: »

It actually runs well enough on my "shit" system, with the settings down at the bottom.

I tried out Bard first. Didn't really like that. No cool song sounds and an annoying repeating image effect. Dread knight isn't bad, they were pretty beefy.

I just played Druid and am having a blast (pun intended) with that class. I'm gonna try out a few more but this looks like the winner at the moment.

What server are you going to be playing on, I think we need more people on flamehammer so we can get some PA groups going.

LittleBoots on

• Options
    edited February 2007
    Strato wrote: »

What server are you going to be playing on, I think we need more people on flamehammer so we can get some PA groups going.

Rest assured, all my guys are on Flamehammer.

About to hit 6 with the druid. Woot!

Server just died though

Strato on
This discussion has been closed.