Options

Cooker? I barely know her! [Cooking Thread]

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Iruka wrote: »
    knitdan those look legit, thanks!

Chanus Black beans are a good Idea. I like beans in chili (unless its for hotdogs, no beans on my hotdogs) and I think the boyfriend would appreciate the added nutrition rather than me just throwing a pot of red meat at him, as I would like to do.

Last time I made a white chili with navy beans and ground turkey, it came out well, but I thought the flavor could have been more rich than the cheap chili powder I ended up using.

using chicken (or veg) stock instead of water can help bring out more flavor as well

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Cooking thread.

Do any of you have an exciting chili recipe that might be in my interests?

I dislike kidney beans. I'm considering a white chili, but I also like beef.

Actual pieces of beef, not mince. Also pork (belly pork is good). Butter beans. A little very dark chocolate-90% is good. I'd go a 2:1 ratio of beef to pork, or a 4:2:1 of beef, pork, chicken thigh.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    What cut of beef @v1m?

Chocolate, pretty good idea. Butter beans, are something that I've never heard of, so that's an enlightening read.
    http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/chili-with-chipotle-chocolate looking at this with some modifications, essentially?

I don't believe I used water last time, chicken stock is my go-to for everything. Sometimes I wish I was as industrious as my mom, she makes her own stock a few times a year and freezes it in huge bricks. I feel like that's why her food is always amazing.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    In the UK we call it braising steak. I think that's chuck steak to you guys?

2lb steak, cut into pieces
    1lb belly pork, also cut up.leave the skin on. That gelatin is useful and important.
    2-3 chicken thighs, skinned and cut off the bone.
    2oz of 90% chocolate.
    2 12oz tins or butter beans
    1 12 oz tin of tomatoes or 4-5 tomatoes.
    1 bottle of sweet beer
    1bulb o f garlic
    Smoked paprika
    Chile
    Salt
    Pepper
    2 spoons of dark sugar
    2 onions.

Soften the onions and garlic. Brown the beef. Put everything in the pot and bring to simmer.. Put into the oven at 120-130c for 4 hours or so. When it's dark and rich and sticky, eat it.

Edit: when it's nearly ready, stir in 2 tsp of cumin.

V1m on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Fuckin' Excellent. All the info I needed before I head out to the store. Thanks cooking thread!

• Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    A little late to the party, but chili is most improved by using a variety of real chili peppers rather than a pre-made chili powder. You get so much more depth of flavor that you almost can't even compare to the two. Try using the chili paste here, and you'll never go back. seriouseats.com/2015/01/how-to-clean-and-prepare-dried-chilies-chili-powder-substitute.html

Personally, I make mine with a mix if Ancho, Chipotle, Pasilla, and Costena.

Simpsonia on
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    I've started thinking about how to utilize those vegetarian soy nugget things. I have no use for them, but got a couple dry bags of them a few months back. Maybe they would go alright with some sort of satay sauce? I guess rehydrating with a good spicy marinade, then frying and smothering in satay would make them edible.

• Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    I've started thinking about how to utilize those vegetarian soy nugget things. I have no use for them, but got a couple dry bags of them a few months back. Maybe they would go alright with some sort of satay sauce? I guess rehydrating with a good spicy marinade, then frying and smothering in satay would make them edible.

seriouseats.com/2015/02/how-to-make-vegan-chorizo.html

Note: I don't work for Serious Eats, I'm just slightly obsessed with their recipes.

• Options
    Simpsonia wrote: »
    A little late to the party, but chili is most improved by using a variety of real chili peppers rather than a pre-made chili powder. You get so much more depth of flavor that you almost can't even compare to the two. Try using the chili paste here, and you'll never go back. seriouseats.com/2015/01/how-to-clean-and-prepare-dried-chilies-chili-powder-substitute.html

I wish I could get those things at non insane prices.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular

This is straight truth. Made some chili using Kenji's guide for a chili cookoff at work, it was awesome.

Freezing cubes, in an ice cube tray, of the chili puree and them dumping them in a gallon ziploc in the freezer is a great way to have them on hand.

My wife got me a 4-5 different kinds of chilis, a 20count 1oz plastic bottle set, and associated dried garlic/onion and a bottle of organic apple cider vinegar for Christmas :biggrin: We're going to do hot sauce soon.

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »

Any Indian/Pakistani run markets near you? Those seem like they'd be good places to look if you can't use Latin American markets.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    @knitdan those look legit, thanks!

@Chanus Black beans are a good Idea. I like beans in chili (unless its for hotdogs, no beans on my hotdogs) and I think the boyfriend would appreciate the added nutrition rather than me just throwing a pot of red meat at him, as I would like to do.

Last time I made a white chili with navy beans and ground turkey, it came out well, but I thought the flavor could have been more rich than the cheap chili powder I ended up using.

I usually source my chili powder from the bulk section at one of the local organic markets. It tends to be more potent.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular

1lb belly pork, also cut up.leave the skin on. That gelatin is useful and important.
    2oz of 90% chocolate.
    1 bottle of sweet beer
    1bulb o f garlic
    Smoked paprika
    Chile
    Salt
    Pepper
    2 spoons of dark sugar
    2 onions.

Soften the onions and garlic. Brown the beef. Put everything in the pot and bring to simmer.. Put into the oven at 120-130c for 4 hours or so. When it's dark and rich and sticky, eat it.

Do you stick the chocolate in at the beginning? Lately I've been putting it in right at the end.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I really like collard greens. I'm trying to fundamentally make my cooking more healthy. The only way I know to cook collard greens is with hamhocks. Is there a healthier way to prepare them that's still tasty?

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    still as tasty? that's tough

you could try with like low fat bacon or something maybe?

there's not a way i know of to get that flavor profile without some nice piggy fat

• Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I really like collard greens. I'm trying to fundamentally make my cooking more healthy. The only way I know to cook collard greens is with hamhocks. Is there a healthier way to prepare them that's still tasty?

My general rule for adding flavors to something:
    Umami/Savory: Add a dash of soy sauce, fish sauce, shrimp paste, or miso before heat is applied.
    Acidity/brightness: Add a bit of lemon juice or red wine vinegar at the end of cooking.
    Spiceness: Add a bit of sriacha whenever.

If you want to sub in for the hamhocks, go with the umami add ins. If you want something different, go with the acidity. I'm not sure what would happen if you tried both at once.

In other news, I bought about 2 pounds of beef back ribs and a wild boar hock on the weekend as part of an exercise to try my hand at cuts of meat I normally don't deal with. Since I don't have a grill or a barbecue setup, I don't do much with ribs and the wild boar shank was something I'd never seen before. I like to do simple preparations for my first stab at a new cut and decided that the best avenue of approach for both was going to be a long sous vide cook.

The boar hock had already been trimmed and deboned so it was salted, peppered, and then divided in two. Each cooked for around 14-16 hours at 135 F. Texture was definitely leaner than pork but had considerably more flavor. Given the temperature and cook time, it was tender despite the lean nature. It reminded me of mixing a chicken liver mousse/pate with pork. A bit too pricey to do often but if I did I think I'd pair it with a dark chocolate and rosemary reduction and red wine.

The back ribs were seasoned and cooked for 48 hours at 135 F. Could have gone a little lower but my mind was still on the boar when I started the prep. I probably oversalted one side a little since one side is really just connective tissue and no meat. Texture was unbelievable tender. Still meat but downright buttery. I'd add herbs and adjust the salt in the future but with this level of tenderness a sauce feels superfluous. And since I live alone, I still have enough left for two more dinners.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options

Any Indian/Pakistani run markets near you? Those seem like they'd be good places to look if you can't use Latin American markets.

Oh sure yes, but they sell asian spices, not american ones.

• Options
    Campy wrote: »

2oz of 90% chocolate.
    1 bottle of sweet beer
    1bulb o f garlic
    Smoked paprika
    Chile
    Salt
    Pepper
    2 spoons of dark sugar
    2 onions.

Do you stick the chocolate in at the beginning? Lately I've been putting it in right at the end.

flavor wise it doesn't make much difference. Texture/mouthfeel, yeah definitely ad it in right at the end.

• Options
    edited March 2016

Umami/Savory: Add a dash of soy sauce, fish sauce, shrimp paste, or miso before heat is applied.
    Acidity/brightness: Add a bit of lemon juice or red wine vinegar at the end of cooking.

If you want to sub in for the hamhocks, go with the umami add ins. If you want something different, go with the acidity. I'm not sure what would happen if you tried both at once.

In other news, I bought about 2 pounds of beef back ribs and a wild boar hock on the weekend as part of an exercise to try my hand at cuts of meat I normally don't deal with. Since I don't have a grill or a barbecue setup, I don't do much with ribs and the wild boar shank was something I'd never seen before. I like to do simple preparations for my first stab at a new cut and decided that the best avenue of approach for both was going to be a long sous vide cook.

The boar hock had already been trimmed and deboned so it was salted, peppered, and then divided in two. Each cooked for around 14-16 hours at 135 F. Texture was definitely leaner than pork but had considerably more flavor. Given the temperature and cook time, it was tender despite the lean nature. It reminded me of mixing a chicken liver mousse/pate with pork. A bit too pricey to do often but if I did I think I'd pair it with a dark chocolate and rosemary reduction and red wine.

The back ribs were seasoned and cooked for 48 hours at 135 F. Could have gone a little lower but my mind was still on the boar when I started the prep. I probably oversalted one side a little since one side is really just connective tissue and no meat. Texture was unbelievable tender. Still meat but downright buttery. I'd add herbs and adjust the salt in the future but with this level of tenderness a sauce feels superfluous. And since I live alone, I still have enough left for two more dinners.

I will think on this.

I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes recently, despite being pretty fit (boo genetics and boo my diet of too much sugar, even though my caloric total is acceptable, also job stress), so I'm having to really step up my food game cause I'd rather not have diabetes. One of the biggest changes was reducing fruit intake and upping green leafies, so I really need to get some cruciferous vegetables on the table aside from the relatively obvious and repetitive: green beans, broccoli, peas, rotate forever. I'm not a big fan of kale, but I like collards. The trick is getting these recipes without significantly adding on sugars or butter or anything else that impacts GI.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular

I will think on this.

I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes recently, despite being pretty fit (boo genetics and boo my diet of too much sugar, even though my caloric total is acceptable, also job stress), so I'm having to really step up my food game cause I'd rather not have diabetes. One of the biggest changes was reducing fruit intake and upping green leafies, so I really need to get some cruciferous vegetables on the table aside from the relatively obvious and repetitive: green beans, broccoli, peas, rotate forever. I'm not a big fan of kale, but I like collards. The trick is getting these recipes without significantly adding on sugars or butter or anything else that impacts GI.

Have you already eliminated soda? Find a flavored water that isnt all chemicals and no sugar to replace them with. It worked for me. Only time i drink soda is when im eating out and have no other option. (I'm not pre or diabetic I just started it during a diet and stuck with it).

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    i have done collard greens before where i'll sautee some onions (like maybe one onion chopped for a lb of greens) in butter (i guess you could use oil) and then simmer the onions and greens in a beef stock (better than bouillon is great for this) with some chili peppers or hot sauce if i don't have peppers around

it comes out pretty decent, though not exactly the collard greens you'd think of. still tasty and have a decent kick to them

• Options
    azith28 wrote: »

I will think on this.

Have you already eliminated soda? Find a flavored water that isnt all chemicals and no sugar to replace them with. It worked for me. Only time i drink soda is when im eating out and have no other option. (I'm not pre or diabetic I just started it during a diet and stuck with it).

I haven't drunk soda in like a decade. I wish I'd still been drinking it just because it'd be an easy fix.
    Chanus wrote: »
    i have done collard greens before where i'll sautee some onions (like maybe one onion chopped for a lb of greens) in butter (i guess you could use oil) and then simmer the onions and greens in a beef stock (better than bouillon is great for this) with some chili peppers or hot sauce if i don't have peppers around

it comes out pretty decent, though not exactly the collard greens you'd think of. still tasty and have a decent kick to them

This sounds magnificent. This is the type of change I'm having to make. I'm already dietary/exercise healthier than, like, average, so I have to find things like this to slightly improve all meals overall.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Collards can be great if you sautee with onion and garlic and dress with something like a mop sauce (think vinegar heavy).

• Options
    schuss wrote: »
    Collards can be great if you sautee with onion and garlic and dress with something like a mop sauce (think vinegar heavy).

Yeah, the flavor profile in my head is vinegary with a hint of pork. I think beef bouillon/garlic/onion may be able to substitute with some experimentation.

• Options
    oh right garlic too how did i leave out garlic

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular

Never. Leave. Out. The. Garlic.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    azith28 wrote: »

Never. Leave. Out. The. Garlic.

i think it's so second nature i don't even think about it anymore

it's just always there

like herpes but delicious

• Options

That's vampire-talk, mister.

Look into this mirror, please.

• Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    homemade chicken enchiladas are in the works

boneless chicken thighs in the slow cooker with cumin, coriander, Mexican oregano, lots of garlic, fresh jalapenos, a jar of mild green chile sauce, and a bottle of this:

23e13a578a69f80071cb80d87fecfe71_320x320.jpg

I'll give it about four hours on high, pull the chicken and shred it. roll it up with shredded cheese, top with more mild chile sauce (to cut the heat) mixed with this:

W3GYEuh.jpg?1

to make enchilada sauce. more cheese, black olives, and bake it

they are going to be so good

@Mazzyx you can buy Santiago's green chile frozen at King Soopers. this is a delicious discovery.

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    Made baked beans again (butter beans, black-eye beans), kept the molasses to a minimum, added some balsamic vinegar for extra zip, a little chilli sriracha and oh man I'm in real trouble now cause I just ate a lot of that.

Well not me. The poor fucks who gotta sit next to me at work. They're in trouble.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Made baked beans again (butter beans, black-eye beans), kept the molasses to a minimum, added some balsamic vinegar for extra zip, a little chilli sriracha and oh man I'm in real trouble now cause I just ate a lot of that.

Well not me. The poor fucks who gotta sit next to me at work. They're in trouble.

I've tried making baked beans a few times, with some limited success. Do you aim for a taste like Heinz, or go for something of your own?

• Options
    Definitely not a taste like Heinz. I have Heinz in the fridge for when I want a taste like Heinz.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    So we tried making an edamame falafel last night and the end result was delicious but I'm wondering if there's any better ways we can go about it.

First I tried to use an old blender but the beans at the bottom clogged the blade really quick so we acquired an old food processor and the beans clogged that blade really quickly but the spinning and pressure of the lid above the blade was apparently enough to mash them decently. I imagine there's better ways to do that.

The frying went really easy. I had borrowed my mom's deep fryer for the cooking adventure and it was super simple but the cleanup was awful once the crisco solidified again.

It was a simple recipe though
    ~2 cups beans
    Chopped onion and garlic
    Cumin, salt, pepper
    Flour

Process the beans, do it again with the garlic/onion.
    Mix everything in a bowl by hand
    Fry them till gold

It was delicious. We just bought the sauce this time, but I might try to make that too. I just need to streamline the prep stages. Maybe try to pan fry them so I can avoid grease cleanup. Anyone make falafel or similar foods often have any tips?

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    I have nothing to offer about falafel, but inspired by the grilled cheese discussion going on the the TDS thread right now, I offer up this list of interest: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2016/04/12/grilled-cheese-recipes_n_2410080.html

The recipe for making your own american cheese looks so rife for easy experimentation.

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    So we tried making an edamame falafel last night and the end result was delicious but I'm wondering if there's any better ways we can go about it.

First I tried to use an old blender but the beans at the bottom clogged the blade really quick so we acquired an old food processor and the beans clogged that blade really quickly but the spinning and pressure of the lid above the blade was apparently enough to mash them decently. I imagine there's better ways to do that.

The frying went really easy. I had borrowed my mom's deep fryer for the cooking adventure and it was super simple but the cleanup was awful once the crisco solidified again.

~2 cups beans
    Chopped onion and garlic
    Cumin, salt, pepper
    Flour

Fry them till gold

It was delicious. We just bought the sauce this time, but I might try to make that too. I just need to streamline the prep stages. Maybe try to pan fry them so I can avoid grease cleanup. Anyone make falafel or similar foods often have any tips?

I only tried to make falafel once, and what I learned after the fact was that you need to start with dried chickpeas. Not sure if you can get dried edamame though so...

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Oh good, this thread's still alive!

I marinaded some chicken breast in vinaigrette for a day and put it under the broiler last night. Took me a bit to get it cooked through but in the end it was very tasty! Had it alongside some asparagus spears and basil linguine.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options

~2 cups beans
    Chopped onion and garlic
    Cumin, salt, pepper
    Flour

Fry them till gold

I only tried to make falafel once, and what I learned after the fact was that you need to start with dried chickpeas. Not sure if you can get dried edamame though so...

Dehydrators are fairly easy to get ahold of. In fact, a friend has one. Hmm . . .

Steam Profile
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B49chr7ObjVDYkdpeldMMnlsYVE/view?usp=sharing

Made some spicy mac and cheese tonight. Two layers of home made mac n cheese with a layer of chorizo with peppers and onions in between, topped with Cotija cheese and pacqui ghost pepper chips (which are legitly the hottest tortilla chip I have ever tasted). It was freaking delicious.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Ima make this at an early opportunity now that I have found a source of gigantes;

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Did a loaf of bread in a cast iron pot

Came out really well, seems to solve the problem of really lacklustre oven spring with heavier flour

This discussion has been closed.