As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PA: The Series, Season 2, Episode 12 - Screenlife, Part II

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Very nice point with the one that played in slow mode too!

I'm not going to kid myself by saying I could beat anyone who played after a week or two of practice.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Well I guess I need to practice this.

Also, "...over or around the net assembly..." holy crap.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    nimitznimitz Registered User new member
    edited February 2011
    The people from Screenlife were wearing orange shirts when they were playing with an orange ball? What a dick move.

EDIT: I stand informed, and no longer think it was a dick move.

nimitz on
  • Options
    mehmehmehmehmehmeh Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I went back and watched the season 1 ping pong episodes. Then I remembered this news post from 2007
    gabe wrote:
    When we arrived we were lead downstairs into a giant cement floored warehouse. Two tables were set up in the center of the massive space. As I rounded the corner into the room I saw probably fifty or so spectators holding up signs with sayings like “EAT OUR BALLS!”. I did not however see their team. Just as I began to wonder where they were the music kicked in.

A door on the far side of the warehouse opened up and a team of men in white polo shirts emerged. The one in front was pushing a hand truck. Chained to the hand truck was a huge man with his hands bound and a black bag over his head. He was screaming and fighting to break his restraints. They wheeled him up to the table and began to undo the rope around his wrists. Once his hands were free he howled like an animal and tore the bag off his head. He stopped for a second as if stunned by the sudden light. They placed a paddle in his hand and he stared at it like a murderer who had just been released from prison and handed a gun. Then he leapt off the hand truck and proceeded to run around the room shaking his paddle above his head and screaming at the top of his lungs.

I turned to an Amaze employee standing next to me. “Just out of curiosity, what number is that guy?” I asked.

“That’s Gabe, he’s our number two. What are you?”

I didn’t hear the question at the end.

“I said what number are you?” he repeated.

I stared at the wild man my mouth suddenly dry. “Two.” I said.

“I’m number two.”
    amaze_1.jpg

471507746_ca51d47515.jpg
    _MG_2711-Edit.jpg by thekiko, on Flickr

I like the bald guy in the top picture, he strikes me as an evil super villain, calming walking along side his newest evil creation

this is pretty great too

mehmehmeh on
  • Options
    ErrantErrant Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hi, I'm Alok.

"The people from Screenlife were wearing orange shirts when they were playing with an orange ball? What a dick move."

We cleared our kits and balls with PA in email before we started, as did they theirs. Would you believe we broke all but one of our white balls while prepping for the big day? Unfortunately we don't have away shirts yet, but that expense will probably come through any day now.

"They keep backing off way too far from the table"

You try returning a Khoo topspin smash to the back corner from up close. I don't recommend it, but perhaps you have borrowed Scott's bionic arm.

"Plus they had really bad manners in terms of not admitting their luck when hitting the side of the table or having balls roll over the net."

We all know when someone got lucky, and everyone gets lucky. A sheepish grin is all the apology required, but sheepish grins don't always make for great TV.

"I do have to wonder what the guy in the pork pie hat thinks he looks like. The chain really completes the look."

At 2-all I told Justin to turn his hat backwards so that he could then turn on the machine, but he refused to go over the top. If only he'd listened to me. Chad went full-on wifebeater; the results speak for themselves.

"Has kiko ever not completely humiliated his opponent?"

Kiko does this thing before serving where he slices his paddle over his throat, then immediately whips in the serve. It is terrifying. I believe he is a hitman.

Thanks, Robert and PA, it was a lot of fun. We'll see you guys soon.

Errant on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I would not be at all surprised to discover that Kiko has killed someone for money

In fact I would be surprised if he has not

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    PS thanks for stopping by Alok. I dunno if you keep up with the PA series, but anything ping pong related is always highly anticipated, and this one was no exception. Know that your destruction brought some joy into the world. Hope you guys set up another match!

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    hey Alok

you seem like a stand-up dude in the face of some of the ruder criticisms of the forums

Raneados on
  • Options
    Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited February 2011
    The guys from Screenlife are INCREDIBLY gracious - DO NOT BE RUDE TO THEM. ('sup Alok)

As far as playing away from the table - that's how you play ping pong man. When people start hitting it that hard, it's a tradeoff between cutting off the angle of the ball and getting a few extra milliseconds of reaction time. The sweetspot of where you should be depends on who you're playing and how good of a defensive player you are. If I'm up against the ropes, I'll generally be between 4-6 feet off the table.

Our rematch against Bungie is this Friday. We're pretty pumped.

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    The guys from Screenlife are INCREDIBLY gracious - DO NOT BE RUDE TO THEM. ('sup Alok)

As far as playing away from the table - that's how you play ping pong man. When people start hitting it that hard, it's a tradeoff between cutting off the angle of the ball and getting a few extra milliseconds of reaction time. The sweetspot of where you should be depends on who you're playing and how good of a defensive player you are. If I'm up against the ropes, I'll generally be between 4-6 feet off the table.

You should probably check Jonty for weapons before you start

I feel like he would have no problem Tanya Harding'ing the fuck out of you for what you did to him last time

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Oh, I've been a PA fan since the beforetime (heya Khoo). PA will be hearing from us again, once we return from the shadow retreat bearing eldritch sidespin knowledge. There will probably be a scroll of some sort.

In the meantime, we have PopCap in March. I can say with some certainty that I am going to leave that match with shards of ball where my cheeks used to be. Those guys are nuts.

Errant on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Does this mean another ping-pong episode for season two?

I don't think mere words will do justice to your re-match against Jonty.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Does this mean another ping-pong episode for season two?

I don't think mere words will do justice to your re-match against Jonty.

Even if there isn't a pure ping pong episode, that rematch must be shown to the world.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I swear to god I am organizing a team this year.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    ooh, is "volleying" allowed in ping pong?

hitting it before it bounces on your side?

Raneados on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Raneados wrote: »
    ooh, is "volleying" allowed in ping pong?

hitting it before it bounces on your side?

I don't think so. I could be wrong but when I played if you hit it before it touched your side of the table you lost the point, which led some of the more accurate players to try to snipe the ball straight at an unsuspecting player's paddle at blinding speed.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    BoomShakeBoomShake The Engineer Columbia, MDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

Could we get a separate PATV series for these, pleeeeeeease. Full coverage of a each inter-office battle. All ping-pong all the time.

BoomShake on
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm sure a dedicated sports channel is in Khoo's plans for the PA Network.

Arenas and Ping Pong every day.

Turambar on
    Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hmmm...where have I seen this look before

BMeAj.png

Sweep the leg

3xVbq.jpg

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Veretas wrote: »
    Hmmm...where have I seen this look before

BMeAj.png

Sweep the leg

3xVbq.jpg

Can we talk about what's happening behind Robert???

John Matrix on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah it's funny looking, but come on. Everyone looks like that when they're about to bite into a delicious subway sandwich.

And Alok, I'll just parrot everyone else that it was really cool of you to come by and give such a polite reply to a post like that.

And you guys were very entertaining to watch. It was really fun watching that game; I hope you guys had fun too.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Errant wrote: »
    Oh, I've been a PA fan since the beforetime (heya Khoo). PA will be hearing from us again, once we return from the shadow retreat bearing eldritch sidespin knowledge. There will probably be a scroll of some sort.

In the meantime, we have PopCap in March. I can say with some certainty that I am going to leave that match with shards of ball where my cheeks used to be. Those guys are nuts.

Looking forward to it.

As a warning, we lost 3-4 to PopCap. I lost to their #1 in five, (11-9 in the 5th... still burns) and overall their team is on par with us. You've got a solid shot at them, because let's be honest - you could have beat us if those two ridiculous comebacks weren't on the table.

edit: also, SPORTS.

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Hoho! Sports channel in the works confirmed!

Turambar on
    Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    AlbinoGeoduckAlbinoGeoduck Registered User new member
    edited February 2011
    I hope Alok is #1 in our game vs. Pop Cap and that they don't dislocate my face.

AlbinoGeoduck on
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I hope Jeff Green is the #1 at PopCap.

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Looking forward to it.

As a warning, we lost 3-4 to PopCap. I lost to their #1 in five, (11-9 in the 5th... still burns) and overall their team is on par with us. You've got a solid shot at them, because let's be honest - you could have beat us if those two ridiculous comebacks weren't on the table.

Well, right now I'm #2, so I'm hoping they don't take a trick from Amaze and wheel out Hannibal Lecter or something. I like my liver where it is, filtering out the liquor. I think we can win, but it's going to be tight, and as with you guys I think it's going to be more about what happens in slots 4-7. If #6 and #5 hadn't collapsed like they did, we'd have been 3-0 up going into the last 4 matches, and I like our momentum then.

Anyway, thanks for the warm welcome, y'all. Our forums are also impolite to the opposing team, if by "forums" you mean "bar where we cry over the cask of failure" and by "impolite" you mean "vengeful".

And, by the way, the reason Robert was looking like that is because I was at that time beating Erika in game 2, 9-2. He stared into our souls and then I lost 11-9. So, y'know, I had not prepared adequately for business school psionics. Don't look him in the eyes, that's my advice, he's like a basilisk.

Errant on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Did his gaze make you rock hard?
    :winky:

Oh god I'm so sorry.

Turambar on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Robert what's it like being the Sensei for Cobra Kai Dojo

How many dreams have you crushed

I ask because I'm trying to break into the field and...

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Turambar wrote: »
    Did his gaze make you rock hard?
    :winky:

Oh god I'm so sorry.

The episode does not show what happened after the match.

With good reason.

Errant on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I AM MISTER MIYAGI COME ON GUYS THINK OF THE RACIAL STEREOTYPES HERE

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Then who will be the karate kid?

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Who do you think? Erika, duh.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That's for the 4th one

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    He'll help train Mike for his triumphant return!

Basically Khoo is the wizened master of everybody ever.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

is there like some game dev pingpong league that I'm completely unaware of

that's why 3DR never released DNF, they were two busy getting their asses handed to them in the pingest of pongs

Rent on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Penny Arcade has been trying to push for a game industry ping pong league (you'll see the word GIPPL every now and then on our whiteboards) for a few years now. We've gotten Popcap, Amaze/F9, Surreal/Midway, Popcap, Microsoft, Bungie, Screenlife, Suckerpunch and Sony Online Entertainment to all participate. It's tough tho - game release schedules are tough to work around.

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Word is Blizzard has been putting a team together for a few years now. They're still tinkering with it, balancing the player line-up, hoping to be ready to play by 2013 or 2014, but when they're ready to play they'll decimate everyone in sight.

Then you'll have to wait 7 years to play them again.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    you should tell them they'll be ~internet famous~ if they join

then they couldn't possibly refuse

Rent on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Penny Arcade has been trying to push for a game industry ping pong league (you'll see the word GIPPL every now and then on our whiteboards) for a few years now. We've gotten Popcap, Amaze/F9, Surreal/Midway, Popcap, Microsoft, Bungie, Screenlife, Suckerpunch and Sony Online Entertainment to all participate. It's tough tho - game release schedules are tough to work around.

Man, Popcap gets to field two teams? That's hardly fair.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The music in this episode? PHENOMENAL.

I want it all on a playlist to listen while I do work/run/live my life.

blaze_zero on
This discussion has been closed.