As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

There is now a new [STEAM] thread to post in

• Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Bullio wrote:
    heenato wrote:
    harvest wrote:
    How did Bastion turn out? I won't be able to afford it for a while but the demo was good, does the game stay good after that? Also I felt like it was more difficult than most games I've played recently, because I died a few times. Maybe it's just more deliberate than fast action?
    The beginning is honestly one of the hardest parts of the game, at least to the point I'm at. I died a couple times in the demo and haven't died since.

I thought it was rather easy overall until I started stacking idols, which give enemies special attributes. You gain more exp with the more idols you have activated, but enemies become tougher. I had enough trouble with 4 on. I can't imagine how difficult it is with all 10. And the game is fan-freaking-tastic.

I've been replaying HL2:Ep2, and I don't remember the gnome being such a jerk. He has killed me so many times. I've only played Ep2 once, and that was on the 360, but I don't remember him being so homicidal. I also thought it was possible to mount him to the car, but apparently not? Being able to do so would make driving so much easier and less time consuming.

I thought the idea was to wedge him in there with the gravity gun somehow. I'm sure Youtube knows the answer.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    harvest wrote:
    How did Bastion turn out? I won't be able to afford it for a while but the demo was good, does the game stay good after that? Also I felt like it was more difficult than most games I've played recently, because I died a few times. Maybe it's just more deliberate than fast action?
    I thought Bastion was pretty easy even with several idols turned on. All the enemies have easy to exploit AI patterns. The main difficulty at the beginning is figuring out the timing for blocking once you get the shield (reflecting attacks with perfect timing kills or heavily damages most enemies) and leveling up a couple of weapons you are comfortable with... the game gives you more powerful weapons as you go along.

It's pretty good. I thought the isometric RPG action was pretty average overall... not mind-blowing, but not terrible. There is nothing new, gameplay-wise, that hasn't been done (and better) in other action RPGs. However, the narration and story is great, and the game paces VERY well. You'll want to sit and play through the whole game in one sitting. It takes around 8 hours to beat.

Like Portal a couple years ago, I've been telling all my friends to play this game. It's on my personal "worth playing" list.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Oh dear, maxed my points at Steamgifts. Time to bid on stuff.

• Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    Echo wrote:

You ain't gonna win anything though. :P

I think that the insane influx of new people over the last weeks broke the system, it's not designed for that many users. Your points max up basically over night and there are always ~1000 entries for each raffle so the chances of winning are extremely low and the joy of giving anything sort of disappears when it's just an anonymous frothing mass that wants free stuff.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Hey guys, I don't know if you've heard but Call of Juarez: The Cartel is now available.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Yes but I've heard it's not very good

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    Reviews are saying it is pretty terrible.

• Options
    cpugeek13cpugeek13 Registered User regular
    Anyone here playing Rock of Ages? If so, you can add my steam name and we can play. Played a bit of the single player, but it seems like the game would be more enjoyable with other people.

• Options
    Olivaw wrote:
    Yes but I've heard it's not very good

Yeah, but it's NOW AVAILABLE!

• Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    I have a couple things I'd like to put up on Steamgifts. Need an invite code, though.

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    hmm, got an email from steam saying someone requested a password reset. I did not do that. and the link only has my steam page id not my full login

peculiar. of course i wont be clicking that link. though i wonder if its from way back when i tried logging in with my steam page id

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    Beltaine wrote:
    I have a couple things I'd like to put up on Steamgifts. Need an invite code, though.

Don't bother, just give them out here instead.
    To me!
    Just kidding
    No, really. To me!!

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Rock of Ages is pretty awesome, my only complaint so far is that defenses feel wildly inadequate, and hopefully that will change as more crazy shit is unlocked later in the game.

But basically unless you get really lucky, there are too many ways to completely bypass all defenses in the early maps at least.

• Options
    Beltaine wrote:

PM sent, hope it works!

• Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    is CALL OF JUAREZ - THE CARTEL available yet?

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Adda wrote:

It is, indeed, NOW AVAILABLE! CALL OF JUAREZ - THE CARTEL, I mean. In case you missed it.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    reVerse wrote:
    Adda wrote:

It is, indeed, NOW AVAILABLE! CALL OF JUAREZ - THE CARTEL, I mean. In case you missed it.

Thanks for the heads up, not sure how I didn't see it there demanding focus in my taskbar and taking up the whole screen.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    So is this Juarez thing the game you play with a rock and have to create the terrain by running around a cemetery?

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Does the Republic Commando MP still work? I never got to try it, and I'd like to, even if I heard it kinda stunk.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Corpekata wrote:
    There is a decent community there, but it's exploded from like 15 to 25k in the past few weeks, and is getting a bit unwieldy. Generally a lot of people there make private giveaways for people on the forums or that participate in the chat. But yeah, the recent Skyrim with 5000+ entries went to someone with a wopping 1 comment.

I'm curious why comments matter. I glance at the listings as I enter them and it's usually either just pages and pages of "thanks" or someone pointing out that it's probably a scam (like when I idly glance at the listing for multiple copies of MW3 and whatnot).

If I won something I'd definitely thank them, but I'm not sure I understand why not adding to the apparently mindless Thanks spam would be held against a person.

Edit: that said, considering what most people seem to be offering up, it's a struggle to even find enough contests to waste points on. Not that I'm complaining or bragging, just noting that apparently I'm already pretty set.

And I totally intend to get Dead Island and Rock of Ages, but think I should wait for a sale first, especially with us mere months away from 2 of them. And Batman. And maybe Diablo 3. This won't end well.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    Alright. I threw up a private Giveaway on Steamgifts for AI War Bundle.

Open for 2 and a half hours from now.

http://www.steamgifts.com/giveaway/q8st2/ai-war-fleet-command

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Movitz wrote:
    Echo wrote:

You ain't gonna win anything though. :P

I think that the insane influx of new people over the last weeks broke the system, it's not designed for that many users. Your points max up basically over night and there are always ~1000 entries for each raffle so the chances of winning are extremely low and the joy of giving anything sort of disappears when it's just an anonymous frothing mass that wants free stuff.

I agree, it seems like this is how it has gone. Oh well, there's a wonderful community here, and Christmas/Hanukkah/Festivus is coming!

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    hadokenhadoken Registered User regular
    Dungeons of Dredmore get!

Because steam didnt offer Theme Park World, and we get Space Marine at eighty fucking dollars.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    So, Green Man sent me 2 codes related to Dead Island, but didn't say what they are, outside of how to activate on Steam. Note that these 2 codes are not the same as the one they sent me to activate the game.

Anyone else get these or try them out yet?

• Options
    edited September 2011
    So, Green Man sent me 2 codes related to Dead Island, but didn't say what they are, outside of how to activate on Steam. Note that these 2 codes are not the same as the one they sent me to activate the game.

Anyone else get these or try them out yet?

They only sent me the one original code about a week back, nothing since.

EDIT: the second may be for the dlc if you didn't get your key prior to the release date of Tuesday as they said they would honour the free dlc thing up until the euro release on Friday.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BarneyLBarneyL Registered User regular
    The maths on steamgifts doesn't really work. Each gift gives every user 5% of the points so that means every single user can enter one in twenty givaways (and that's before ignoring the endless humble bundle\portal\HL2 ones padding things out).
    A one in twenty rate and 25 thousand users makes for a lot of busy raffles.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    kaliakalia Registered User regular
    Points on steamgifts really do seem, um, pointless right now. I think it really is that it grew more quickly than they expected it to. I mean, I let my account just sit for maybe a week, and I was maxed out. That pretty much means that the invitation-only system isn't really gonna be that limiting, since *everyone* can make invitations (I believe), and the point cost isn't in any way prohibitive.

Just seems to need some tweaking, now that it's gotten so big. :)

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Holy Crap, Civ V on fantastic sale.

Any opinions on the daily deal? I'm a sucker for strategy.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    kalia wrote:
    Points on steamgifts really do seem, um, pointless right now. I think it really is that it grew more quickly than they expected it to. I mean, I let my account just sit for maybe a week, and I was maxed out. That pretty much means that the invitation-only system isn't really gonna be that limiting, since *everyone* can make invitations (I believe), and the point cost isn't in any way prohibitive.

Mine maxed out after just a day or so. It really moves quickly. Plus it is really hard to find games I don't have.

Not a big deal at all, but it is so huge now and mega-sluggish.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Oh man.. Civ V, a few burnout games that may or may not suck, and a new line of nerf guns coming out this weekend. Why does my wallet hurt so bad?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    kalia wrote:

I maxed out almost overnight on labor day.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    StregoneStregone VA, USARegistered User regular
    Steamgifts seems to have slowed down a whole lot. I am no longer getting hundreds of points a day. Seems like less new stuff being posted.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote:

Do it.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote:
    Oh man.. Civ V, a few burnout games that may or may not suck, and a new line of nerf guns coming out this weekend. Why does my wallet hurt so bad?

Need For Speed

Pretty good prices on Hot Pursuit and Shift 2.

• Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    Roshin wrote:
    Idx86 wrote:
    Now that I have a new PC and can actually run games purchasable on Steam, I'd like to kill digital mans with my fellow PAers. How do I get invited to the Steam group? Just provide username or what?

Give us a link to your Steam profile and we'll get you sorted.

So, not sure if this is the info you guys need to get me in the group. Steam name is Ign1t0r and the link to my profile is: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197960797036

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote:

I wish you hadn't pointed that out, less than 13$ for Civ V, must ... resist .... I have 6 exams and 2 field trips in September, I don't have time for this at ALL.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    That Civ V deal was too good to pass up.

• Options
    PsiberianPsiberian Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote:

oh damn! Thank you *I hate you* for pointing this out , I had missed it. I have heard Civ 5 is awesome!!
    I don't really hate you. :)

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Elvenshae wrote:
    So, this is a bit embarassing. Apparently, despite getting myself added to all kinds of game-specific PA Steam groups (Wangs Without Borders, Armadeaddon, etc.), I've never managed to get myself added to the general Steam group.
    I am ashamed on being in a similar situation. Could someone please send me an invite for the PA group?
    EDIT: Thank you!

HiT BiT on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    The Civ V deal doesn't appear to extend to the DLC. Boo.

This discussion has been closed.