As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

VERY STRONG OPINIONS ABOUT FILM [CHAT] thread

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    Kochikens wrote:
    Sherlock is so bloody good

watching it now
    it's shaping up to be a pretty good adventure

• Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I was pumped about Sherlock, until it abruptly ended, leaving me wanting more episodes. Who knows how long it will take before I can see the next season?!

I'm pretty excited to read some of Sweet Tooth before bedtimes tonight!!

I also got Inglorious Bastards (cause I still havent seen it) and Chocolate (because it's the best kung fu movie about an autistic girl who learns to fight by watching Bruce Lee flicks)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Axf_EXzF_qM

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    Esh is the name of a skin disorder you get from being interrogated by lumberjacks.

• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    Adam, its on episode 2 of the new season..

• Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    I also got Inglorious Bastards (cause I still havent seen it) and Chocolate (because it's the best kung fu movie about an autistic girl who learns to fight by watching Bruce Lee flicks)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Axf_EXzF_qM

Which inglorious bastards? the old one or the new one that has almost nothing to do with the old one?

Also the Chocolate outtakes make it seem like it was one of the most painful movies to make.

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    MuddyParasolMuddyParasol Registered User regular
    I love Sherlock! I was skeptical at first when I heard it was in the works. Most times when TV/movie execs take a classic and try to modernize the story it goes horribly, horribly wrong. But I gotta hand it to the guys that did Sherlock, they really pulled it off.

• Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    Dammit, I was going to watch Sherlock and then I thought, "Nah, it will probably be rubbish"

I really need to stop pre-judging things.

• Options
    You looked at a show with Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman helmed by Mark Gatiss and Steven Moffat and your first thought was, "It'll be rubbish"?

what is wrong with you

• Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Benedict Cumberbatch didn't really wow me in "Paul", so Sherlock was sort of a leap of faith.

Also somehow I didn't realize until watching the series 2 premiere that Steven Moffat was writing for it. Guy is kind of a beast.

Fugitive on
  • Options
    Fugitive wrote:
    Benedict Cumberbatch didn't really wow me in "Paul", so Sherlock was sort of a leap of faith.

Did anyone wow you in Paul?

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I didn't actually see Paul. I was trying to set up a very obtuse joke about Benedict Cumberbatch looking kind of like an alien.

Fugitive on
  • Options
    "'What do I most dislike about my appearance? The size and shape of my head. I've been likened to Sid from Ice Age'" - Benedict Cumberbatch

He's sensitive about it!! Why you gotta be a jerk! You're just jelly cause he's got ladies swarming him

• Options
    Kochikens wrote:
    You looked at a show with Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman helmed by Mark Gatiss and Steven Moffat and your first thought was, "It'll be rubbish"?

what is wrong with you

Probably has something to do with not knowing who any of those people are.

• Options
    squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Man I knew all those dudes apart from Sid from Ice Age.

Also, yeah, Sherlock's pretty great and I feel like I've said this before but I feel like Martin Freeman's just getting typecast, at this point, as "put-upon British guy who gets sort of dragged on adventures through random happenstance".

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    Mustang wrote:
    Kochikens wrote:

what is wrong with you

Probably has something to do with not knowing who any of those people are.

It's the first time I've heard any of them.

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    Chocolate is amazing.

Sherlock is amazing.

Benedict Cumberpatch (going to be Smaug in the Hobbit) and Martin Freeman (going to be the bravest little hobbit of them all in the Hobbit) are amazing.

Steven Moffat is amazing.

• Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    and Wass is amazing

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
  • Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    HE WILL BE FUCKING SMAUG!? Whaaaa-cool, although I always imagined someone with a more crispy voice.

m3nace on
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    Kochikens wrote:
    "'What do I most dislike about my appearance? The size and shape of my head. I've been likened to Sid from Ice Age'" - Benedict Cumberbatch

He's sensitive about it!! Why you gotta be a jerk! You're just jelly cause he's got ladies swarming him

People think he has a weird head? I don't think he has a weird head.

Or maybe I just don't think it's weird compared to Matt Smith's head, which, really, is much weirder.

Hmmmm.

• Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    I was reading the rules thread after noticing a website whoring post that will inevitable get a 'go read the rules' response and I remembered something that has bothered me since last time I read it.

"6 ) Do Not Post Ambiguous Critiques
    Words like 'wonky' and 'odd' do not do anyone any good. If you feel that something looks out of place, you need to explain why and a possible solution to the problem. Otherwise, your critique is pointless, unhelpful and therefore unwanted."

I don't like this rule. I think wonky/odd are perfectly valid critiques.... and I am sure I have given critiques with those words in them many times. If someone is too bad to notice something in their art is wonky or odd, it may just need someone pointing it out for them to see it.

• Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    I think those words are fine, the rule is just about being ambiguous. Saying, "your art looks wonky" doesn't help anyone. Saying, "that back leg looks wonky. Try holding your own leg in that position and I think you will realize that the position your character is in is unnatural and uncomfortable" is specific and helpful.

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Anyone ave any good suggestions for jogging/running music? I need something with a beat that makes me feel like a badass hero running across majestic fields, instead of a doughy nerd puffing along on a treadmill.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    McGibs wrote:
    Anyone ave any good suggestions for jogging/running music? I need something with a beat that makes me feel like a badass hero running across majestic fields, instead of a doughy nerd puffing along on a treadmill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBwS66EBUcY

• Options
    ceraninjaceraninja Registered User regular
    NibCrom wrote:
    I think those words are fine, the rule is just about being ambiguous. Saying, "your art looks wonky" doesn't help anyone. Saying, "that back leg looks wonky. Try holding your own leg in that position and I think you will realize that the position your character is in is unnatural and uncomfortable" is specific and helpful.

I agree with that statement. I've been told all throughout high school that my art looks "cartoony". What am I supposed to do with that comment?

McGibs, I'd listen to movie soundtracks like Requiem For A Dream or Gladiator. At least it helped when playing some White Wolf...

• Options
    MuddyParasolMuddyParasol Registered User regular

I've always been a sucker for the classic Eye of the Tiger by Survivor probably because I've watched way too much Rocky growing up.

• Options
    The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    McGibs: My favorite jogging music is Daft Punk live stuff (harder better faster stronger mixed with around the world).
    But if you're looking for cool tough guy jogging music, i think Danko Jones fits the bill nicely
    youtube link: Maybe it's just me, but the rhythm for this is perfect for my "running fast so the zombies don't catch me" routine.

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    so you cats who I've put on to RadioLab probably already heard this, but it is so astounding that it must be shared
    Tam wrote:
    Bob Milne, one of the greatest ragtime pianists in the world, can listen to, and play in his head (i.e., without audio equipment), four different symphonies simultaneously. He can track them all so that if you start a piece of music, and have him him in a room where he can't hear it, but you tell him to start the piece of music at the same time, and suddenly stop the music and tell him to stop, he will tell you what part you were at within a few notes.

It doesn't stop there, he can visualize the entire orchestra and control the audio volume and speed.
    but don't take my word for it, hear about it yourself on RadioLab.

Tam on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    McGibs wrote:

I always stand by The Fratellis as awesome exercising/pump you up music.

• Options
    cakemikz wrote:
    I was reading the rules thread after noticing a website whoring post that will inevitable get a 'go read the rules' response and I remembered something that has bothered me since last time I read it.

"6 ) Do Not Post Ambiguous Critiques
    Words like 'wonky' and 'odd' do not do anyone any good. If you feel that something looks out of place, you need to explain why and a possible solution to the problem. Otherwise, your critique is pointless, unhelpful and therefore unwanted."

I don't like this rule. I think wonky/odd are perfectly valid critiques.... and I am sure I have given critiques with those words in them many times. If someone is too bad to notice something in their art is wonky or odd, it may just need someone pointing it out for them to see it.
    NibCrom wrote:

Exactly. The spirit of the law is what NibCrom said- the rule came about because of a rash of lazy critiques that just said, "_______ looks strange/wonky/odd", and left it at that; the intent here isn't to make those people drag out a thesaurus to come up with a synonym for those words, it's to get them to post something articulate enough to be helpful to the artist.

A lot of people think that just a blunt statement of their personal opinion ("this bites, lol!") is the same thing as a critique, and it's not. The rule gives the mods a way to make sure people aren't being unhelpful shitheads.

If you had an art teacher come by and say, "That leg looks wonky" and then piss off and not elaborate on what they meant or how to improve it, you'd be pissed off, and they'd be a shitty teacher, and your drawing wouldn't get fixed any time soon; but this is exactly what a lot of people do on art forums all the time, and think that's A-OK behavior.

I had an English teacher once (and even though I kinda hated her, I'll concede that this point made sense) that had a rule that you couldn't use the word "thing" in an essay or test questions, not because she just had an irrational hatred of the word, but because it's too vague and there's always going to be a better way to describe what you're actually talking about. This is the same sort of principle.

• Options
    PROXPROX Registered User regular
    My friend works on this show:

<iframe src="http://www.collegehumor.com/e/6668573&quot; width="600" height="338" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

• Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    You have failed to convince me of the merits of Rule #6.

• Options
    cakemikz wrote:

Well, tough shit.

• Options
    McGibs wrote:

I love running to the Beastie Boys Ill Communication.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    m3nace wrote:
    HE WILL BE FUCKING SMAUG!?

I don't remember that being in the book.

Mustang on
  • Options
    SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    NibCrom wrote:
    McGibs wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBwS66EBUcY

YESSSSS

Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    cakemikz wrote:

Your opinion is wonky.

• Options
    Naff feel good music is the best to exercise too....though they lose their naffness if they've been used in a film you like.

example
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tJoIaXZ0rw

• Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    McGibs wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwer1CiteBg&amp;feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQvNu8LoTo0

• Options
    SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    This is pretty rad

Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
This discussion has been closed.