As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

VERY STRONG OPINIONS ABOUT FILM [CHAT] thread

• Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    In my first thread I asked what everyone's favorite font was. Grifter called me a "massive tool".

This made me laugh way too hard.

Also I have a lot of favorite fonts, MT. I will be a massive tool with you!

We are giant art nerds.

The first time I bought a font I felt a little awesome and a little ashamed.

You should not feel ashamed, you should feel awesome.

• Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    So here's the deal Prox; I'll sell you 1,000 vacuums for $100,000 (you may need to take out a loan), then you on-sell them door to door for $200* each.
    I guarantee that you will be $100,000 richer when you sell them all.

* Actual RRP $34.99

• Options
    Also: bacon, thanks for telling me not to listen to the soundtrack before hand. Made it that much better.

:D
    squidbunny wrote:
    Augh another marketing department that ought to be ashamed of itself: http://borderhouseblog.com/?p=7432

Soul Calibur doesn't need to resort to that kind of shit; people are excited about it. It's got Ezio. Etc..

Aghhhh. I really used to like Soul Calibur, but this game and the last one have pretty much lost any hope of a sale on my part because of this sort of shit; precisely because I'd be embarrassed to have the box of my shelf.

I rented the last game thinking maybe I could use the character creator to make a female character that was wearing something, you know, adequate, and maybe that would make it less annoying. And that worked out-for about 30 seconds, until she had her top knocked off in the middle of a fight O_o.
    Kochikens wrote:
    I re-tumbled a post I saw the other day that is relevant:
    "Gamers get hella uncomfortable over male sexuality too. Can you imagine a “good male character who just happens to be wearing sexually exploitative outfits because he’s ok with his masculinity?” Constantly has the camera pan lovingly over his asscrack and firm glutes, and big ole dangly ballsack that is totes sweaty from all this MMA and soldiering. Time to hit the showers, and do you, personally, think it’s ok to have a long slow pan up the dude’s package (indiscreetly hidden in a jock of course), to his chiseled physique and erect nipples (pierced). He’s not even a Bond-esque confident man, he’s basically a weird Bowie caricature that’s constantly having near-dickslips in every single cinematic as the completely nonsexualized female characters do their business of being gruff and shooting dudes and advancing the plot. Finally, at the end he falls in love (out of nowhere) and/or is killed by the big baddie."

-a forum post I read recently, trying to give a solid example of what ‘male objectification in gaming ’ would actually look like if it was anything equivalent to current female objectification in gaming. (via nothingbutsurrender)

Hell, I'd play it- even if just for the sake of it being something different.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    A while back someone posted how to look at all the info that google stores on you for targeting their adds, does anyone remember how to do that?

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    How in the wtf is it Friday tomorrow/just now? Seriously I have no idea where the week went. I had to ask one of my coworkers what day it was because for all I knew, it could've been Tuesday.

Not Monday though. At least I knew that much.

lol brain

• Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    Not here, this week has been going for like two weeks, maybe more.

• Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    i've been sick most of this week and have slept about 3 hours.

Yeah, this week is going by sloooooooow

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    I didn't get any solid night of sleep for awhile...not until last night. That probably contributed some!

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Nappuccino wrote:

I've been sick as well with barely any sleep... I think you're also my health doppelganger. I just hope you don't get crabs, that would suck for everyone involved.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    Kochikens wrote:
    "Gamers get hella uncomfortable over male sexuality too. Can you imagine a “good male character who just happens to be wearing sexually exploitative outfits because he’s ok with his masculinity?” Constantly has the camera pan lovingly over his asscrack and firm glutes, and big ole dangly ballsack that is totes sweaty from all this MMA and soldiering. Time to hit the showers, and do you, personally, think it’s ok to have a long slow pan up the dude’s package (indiscreetly hidden in a jock of course), to his chiseled physique and erect nipples (pierced). He’s not even a Bond-esque confident man, he’s basically a weird Bowie caricature that’s constantly having near-dickslips in every single cinematic as the completely nonsexualized female characters do their business of being gruff and shooting dudes and advancing the plot. Finally, at the end he falls in love (out of nowhere) and/or is killed by the big baddie."

-a forum post I read recently, trying to give a solid example of what ‘male objectification in gaming ’ would actually look like if it was anything equivalent to current female objectification in gaming. (via nothingbutsurrender)

I only play as Snake in Brawl

And I only do high-kicks.
    tumblr_lwhzq8ywDR1qh8egzo1_400.jpg

• Options
    Fugitive wrote:
    Kochikens wrote:

I only play as Snake in Brawl

And I only do high-kicks.
    tumblr_lwhzq8ywDR1qh8egzo1_400.jpg

[PUN]
    Taint nothin' wrong with that.
    [/PUN]

• Options
    Both of you have scarred me for life.

• Options
    Nappuccino wrote:

I've been sick as well with barely any sleep... I think you're also my health doppelganger. I just hope you don't get crabs, that would suck for everyone involved.

I'd have to have sex for that to happen so I think we're good there.

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited January 2012
    Nappuccino wrote:

Man, crab fishing must be a lot different than I had previously thought.

Don't get teste- after all, it's not like you're glute to your computer, you can walk away from this conversation whenever you want. Butt admittedly, even if you wait and come back at the crack of dawn tomorrow, this topic may still may not have died down ass much as you may have wanted.

(It's a good thing modship isn't based on a democratic vote, all these puns would have gotten me sacked by now if that were the case.)

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    Nappuccino wrote:

Only if you do it right

• Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    I am really struggling trying to figure out how to reel back my drawings to be more cartoony and readable as they get shrunk down for this game project.

• Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    Today is 3 Kings day!

For those of you who are not Hispanic, this is like Christmas part 2. The 3 Wise Men go around in camels giving presents to kids, much like Santa does. However, instead of milk and cookies you're supposed to collect grass for the camels, which most kids yank out of their back yards and put in a shoe box next to their beds.

Happy 3 Kings day!

• Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    MagicToaster, you so crazy!

Merry Christmas Part 2!

• Options
    squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    You Hispanics have all the best holidays. Happy 3 Kings Day, MT!

What is this trend of advertising webcomics with "[adjectified noun] scene"? For example, "Obscenely scene." "Dangerously Scene." "Sinisterly Scene." I've seen several of these things, and I am completely baffled. I mean I guess I know by "scene" they mean them folks in skinny jeans but ... what is this phrase pattern ... thing?

EDIT: What I mean is, amongst all these purveyors of fine, scene-friendly funnies you'd think someone would go in a different direction with, I dunno, "Must be scene to be believed," but no; they do this. Does it reference something?

Oh fuck it I'm going back to bed.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I've only ever heard it used to describe 'scene-kids' (I don't know if that's an Australian thing) but nobody's ever bothered to explain what one is. I guess it's like the word hipster in that it can be liberally applied to any demographic and/or subculture that isn't your own.

Flay on
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    I think everyone's got scene kids by this point, and yeah they seem to be inheriting the hipster mantle in terms of ill-defined-subculture-I-don't-exactly-understand-the-boundaries-of. It's mysteriously baffling, tragically awful, moronically stupid. (That phrase structure bugs me.)

ADDENDUM: Do any of you foodier people have a really knockout whole roast chicken recipe? I got a nice local birdie I'd like to do something interesting with.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    Happy 3 Kings day!

Three-Kings-(1999)-picture-MOV_e9715315_b.jpg

• Options
    Tonight is also Ukrainian (Orthodox) Christmas Eve. My mom's family is Ukrainian so we usually do a Christmas dinner.

• Options
    Merry Christmas Everybody!

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Marky Mark is the dreamiest of the Kings. Happy 3 Kings day MT!

And happy real Christmas DMAC

Prospicience on
  • Options
    melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    Nappuccino wrote:

Don't get teste- after all, it's not like you're glute to your computer, you can walk away from this conversation whenever you want. Butt admittedly, even if you wait and come back at the crack of dawn tomorrow, this topic may still may not have died down ass much as you may have wanted.

(It's a good thing modship isn't based on a democratic vote, all these puns would have gotten me sacked by now if that were the case.)

pffffthahah, oh this is splendid.

• Options
    Please don't encourage him.

• Options
    You can't stop love, DMAC.

• Options
  • Options
    haha

• Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Happy weirdo holiday MT! (I kid I kid, in a few months we're going to flog our parents with twigs in the morning as part of a holiday, proceeding to smash a barrel with a bat)
    Playing through Pokémon sapphire version now starts making sense of all the linguistic confusion I had when I was a kid. Whenever it said "Lotad's attack rose" I was all:
    rose-2.jpg
    WHAAAAA?

m3nace on
  • Options
    SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    Scene is just like the emo-equivalent of hipsters: posers that like the 'emo' look crossed with the atrocious fashion sense of glam-rock and hair metal back in the day. Think emo kids that are peppy and happy because they like, omg luvvv to party!!

On that note, anyone that actually considers themselves "scene" or a "hipster" is basically a hollow shell of a human being, clinging to the tastes and standards of actually interesting people because they desperately want to fit in. If some one says, "I'm such a hipster" they might as well be saying "I'm such a poser."

Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
  • Options
    brokecrackerbrokecracker Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    only one thing can be done...try to make money off of them. I'm gonna start a webcomic all about scarfs. (I love scarfs, I am kind of a husk of man)

Edit! Sieg! we must hang out once I get to Cincinnati... also...HELP ME FIND A JOB!

brokecracker on
  • Options
    Thanks a lot, AC. I'm resorting to a Jamie Oliver recipe.

header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    Siegfried wrote:
    If some one says, "I'm such a hipster" they might as well be saying "I'm such a poser."

What if they are saying it ironically?

Does that make them an actual hipster?

• Options
    hipster inception

• Options
    WrathborneWrathborne Web artist Beside myselfRegistered User regular
    DMAC wrote:
    Happy 3 Kings day!

Three-Kings-(1999)-picture-MOV_e9715315_b.jpg

This is the film that George Clooney beat the shit out of David O.Russel because he was being a huge asshole.

• Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    cakemikz wrote:
    I am really struggling trying to figure out how to reel back my drawings to be more cartoony and readable as they get shrunk down for this game project.

You should post what you got, I might be able to offer some insight since that's the only way I can draw apparently...

• Options
    melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    Today mIght as well be Christmas #2! I got my Secret Santa sketch in the mail already!!!

• Options
    :)

This discussion has been closed.