Options

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, but not over the lameness of countdowns

• Options
    Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Whatever direction they go with the plot of the game, how it deals with this segregation situation (apartheid was specific to south africa, it's dumb they are using that word) and whatnot, could be interesting. I don't have much faith though, since you're still playing as Adam Jensen, sentient plank of wood.

JC Denton wasn't exactly brimming over with personality, either.

A BOMB.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    You're gonna burn alright.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Not to mention the fact that the Illuminati may prefer a controlled apartheid they can spin for more control over mass surgeries, civil strife, and the had optics of fucking over a minority group.

Remember, Panchaea was not part of the plan, that was Darrow going nuts.
    Not to mention the fact that the Illuminati may prefer a controlled apartheid they can spin for more control over mass surgeries, civil strife, and the had optics of fucking over a minority group.

Remember, Panchaea was not part of the plan, that was Darrow going nuts.

It's still weird to me that the response wasn't to turn off the apparent walking Wifi that everyone's robot arm and leg is. Remove the wifi drivers and they should work fine, shouldn't they? Why do they need to be connected to an internet device that allows them to be remotely hacked like that, to make them go crazy? Other than the Illuminati that is.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    One could say, the rioting in that trailer was intensifying to the point they may not have been able to control it

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Whatever direction they go with the plot of the game, how it deals with this segregation situation (apartheid was specific to south africa, it's dumb they are using that word) and whatnot, could be interesting. I don't have much faith though, since you're still playing as Adam Jensen, sentient plank of wood.

A BOMB.
    More like "a bomb."

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    more like "a bomb !"

No I don't.
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    more like "UNATCO?"

forumsig.png
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    your turn

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    never die wrote: »
    It's still weird to me that the response wasn't to turn off the apparent walking Wifi that everyone's robot arm and leg is. Remove the wifi drivers and they should work fine, shouldn't they? Why do they need to be connected to an internet device that allows them to be remotely hacked like that, to make them go crazy? Other than the Illuminati that is.

People want to upload stats to the internet and compare those with friends on social media. A drone coming to kill you one day is small price to pay if you want to show off the number of calories you burnt with your new implant.

Also, science is magic in videogames. Don't take it too seriously.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Desperate.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!
     ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!
      ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!
       ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!
        ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!
         ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!
          ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!
           ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!
            ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!
            RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
           RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
          RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
         RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
        RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
       RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
      RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
     RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
    RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    what a shame

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I should go.

>.>

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    I never asked for this...

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options

People want to upload stats to the internet and compare those with friends on social media. A drone coming to kill you one day is small price to pay if you want to show off the number of calories you burnt with your new implant.

Yeah totally. We just had have a serious conversation about the logic of what was going on in the apartheid plot, so I thought I would throw in my two cents.

Really I'm just looking forward to being the Bionic Man again.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    He is a blank slate. His relationship with Megan is the baseline of baselines, talking about a dog or a fence. Everything about Adam is so conveniently lowest-common-denominator that it's extremely easy to bond with and everything after is projected directly on to the player. The flat expression and baritone monotone-ness is just another method to allow players to superimpose their own emotional connection with ease.

I think the best part about Adam Jensen is that he is our gateway into being a person with a voice as the closest possible vocal imitation of buttered gravy

• Options
    Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!
     ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!
      ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!
       ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!
        ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!
         ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!
          ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!
           ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!
            ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!
            RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
           RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
          RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
         RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
        RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
       RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
      RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
     RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
    RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!

Paris was probably the high point of Deus Ex for me. The creepiness of the catacombs and the cathedral, combined with all the weird Knights Templar stuff was too cool.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    He is a blank slate. His relationship with Megan is the baseline of baselines, talking about a dog or a fence. Everything about Adam is so conveniently lowest-common-denominator that it's extremely easy to bond with and everything after is projected directly on to the player. The flat expression and baritone monotone-ness is just another method to allow players to superimpose their own emotional connection with ease.

I think the best part about Adam Jensen is that he is our gateway into being a person with a voice as the closest possible vocal imitation of buttered gravy

Apparently you've never heard me speak. My deep dulcet voice has been described as both sexual chocolate, and as a sex offender attempting to lure people into his van with puppies and candy.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!
     ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!
      ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!
       ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!
        ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!
         ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!
          ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!
           ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!
            ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!
            RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
           RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
          RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
         RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
        RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
       RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
      RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
     RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
    RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!

Paris was probably the high point of Deus Ex for me. The creepiness of the catacombs and the cathedral, combined with all the weird Knights Templar stuff was too cool.

That particular message from Icarus freaked me the eff out the first time I played the game. It felt so incredibly personal, so targeted, that I felt completely exposed and vulnerable when I came across it.

It's still one of my most memorable gaming experiences.

And, yeah, Paris was pretty cool. The "DuClare Chateau" track off of the soundtrack is one of my favorites. In terms of areas, though, I think Hong Kong was my favorite. There's just something about the atmosphere there that felt especially cyberpunky, which really hit the spot for me at age 16.

• Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!
     ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!
      ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!
       ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!
        ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!
         ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!
          ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!
           ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!
            ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!
            RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
           RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
          RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
         RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
        RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
       RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
      RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
     RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
    RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!

That particular message from Icarus freaked me the eff out the first time I played the game. It felt so incredibly personal, so targeted, that I felt completely exposed and vulnerable when I came across it.

It's still one of my most memorable gaming experiences.

And, yeah, Paris was pretty cool. The "DuClare Chateau" track off of the soundtrack is one of my favorites. In terms of areas, though, I think Hong Kong was my favorite. There's just something about the atmosphere there that felt especially cyberpunky, which really hit the spot for me at age 16.

I'll never forget the first time I poked around near your drop-off point. I'd gotten in the habit of interacting with just about everything, and most of the phones had ambient ringing noises but couldn't actually be answered. One idle click in the office, however...
    "I am right behind you, Mr. Denton."

It's a subtle, but clever addition to the oppressive Paris atmosphere. Yes, soldiers are in the streets, keeping an eye out for suspects - but something is after you, specifically, and it knows where you are.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

I never played the original, my first was Invisible War. I liked Alex.

Alex made JC and Adam look like Mr. Personality 2045. JC and Alex had personalities. They had opinions on things, even if the player could influence them, some good lines, little sparks of "Oh, hey! That's kind of interesting!" or bits that became memes for one reason or another.

Alex, even when voiced by Laura Bailey, that's the plank of wood. Denton loved AMERICA and being a dick. Jensen is dealing with his whole life getting ripped apart by his boss, discovering his whole history is a lie (which JC just shrugged off), slowly making friends with Pritchard, and on and on. Meanwhile Alex... has nothing. No good lines, no opinions, no nothing.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    I like Adam. He gets a raw fucking deal, butnhe keeps going.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    I like Adam. He gets a raw fucking deal, butnhe keeps going.

I like that you get a dialog option to say "Oh, yeah. Cyborg life sucked at first. Lost my girlfriend. Lost my dog. But hey! Now I can flip on my shades at will whenever I want, and heal injuries just by getting blackout drunk. This is kinda cool!"

As opposed to being locked into "Woe is me".

• Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    As i already said, i really like Adam. Not everyone has to be really expressive to be considered good character.

• Options
    Asthariel wrote: »
    As i already said, i really like Adam. Not everyone has to be really expressive to be considered good character.

I like Adam too...

except in cutscenes.

Gameplay and in-engine dialog Adam is a reasonably intelligent, capable individual, with a solid amount of personality and a great, buttered-gravel voice.

Cutscene Adam is a total moron.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Just got caught up on the new promo stuff which is out there, and man do I want this game again. DX:HR's great triumph was making the word feel like a place you were in - it had great atmosphere, same as the original, and it looks like they're keeping that going pretty well.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Be honest everyone. Before DXHR came out, did anyone think there would be a DX game again that would even attempt to be like the original? Or, more to the point, actually pull it off?

I didnt.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    The only thing that disappointed me (and not very much) with HR was the level design. Some of that was due to technical restraints, but I wanted a bit more. Dead ends, vents that went no where, more everything (hidden areas, easter eggs, references and ties to the original DX, etc.) in the various hubs, etc. Playing the first DX, I was blown away at finding a hidden MJ-12 base under New York. Having the enemy literally right under my nose was incredible, and I want to feel something along those lines again.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    The only thing that disappointed me (and not very much) with HR was the level design. Some of that was due to technical restraints, but I wanted a bit more. Dead ends, vents that went no where, more everything (hidden areas, easter eggs, references and ties to the original DX, etc.) in the various hubs, etc. Playing the first DX, I was blown away at finding a hidden MJ-12 base under New York. Having the enemy literally right under my nose was incredible, and I want to feel something along those lines again.

I'm with you on everything but dead ends. I consider them a civic failure, and isn't very realistic. When a game has too many dead ends, which is unrealistic in my opinion - life doesn't have that many dead ends, it starts to pull me out of the game thinking someone designed a maze and I'm just drawing lines within. It's

What would be better is less...neatness?...than what was in DX:HR. Every vent path in DX:HR serves some gameplay purpose, goes somewhere tactically advantageous, etc. which ends up doing the same thing: pulling me out of the game making me question the perfectness of the design which is also unrealistic.

What I want is somewhere in between. If you want to give the illusion of open worldness, your game levels can't function like a maze but it can't be perfect either. You have to make something perfect first, and then mar it with wrinkles and blemishes. And throw in some mundanity, stuff l that literally doesn't matter, it's just there because, in life, sometimes things are just there. I'd kill myself if every single thing I encountered in real life were actually relevant to my real life.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I think Yahtzee went over this pretty well, but in a mix of developers being antsy about spending man hours and millions on content that is flat out hidden from many/most players, the hardware necessary to do a solid amount of detail over such a large space (without crippling player's machines), adapting for the consoles, etc.

I mean, go load up the statue of liberty section of DE1; there's hidden areas and multiple routes, but there's also enormous sections of open space with little detail to it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending the change as 'better', simply being realistic that, while I'm not sure I'd say "there'll never be another game like that", I can see why it's unlikely we'll see a Triple-A title along those lines.

Conversely, RPGs and Open World games often have piles upon piles of content strewn about, so I'm not ruling it out either.

Given the ongoing battle for space on my Facebook feed from "X guy/gal recreates Y level/area in the Unreal Engine", it wouldn't surprise me if someone took it upon themselves to show off what they can do. If they had about a hundred hours to kill.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    The fact that they took some time to delay the game for polish is either a sign of dedication or an indication of a broken game.

Given how DXHR was kind of a love letter to the first, I'm hoping they're using that time to really eke out the details.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    They honestly need to declare Invisble War non-canon and just pick up the story again after Deus Ex 1.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    The fact that they took some time to delay the game for polish is either a sign of dedication or an indication of a broken game.

Given how DXHR was kind of a love letter to the first, I'm hoping they're using that time to really eke out the details.

From what I gathered from Jim Sterling Deus Ex and Hitman were initially under-funded by SE because they were wary of soft sales of new consoles. We'll see how they recovered from that I guess.

• Options
    august wrote: »

From what I gathered from Jim Sterling Deus Ex and Hitman were initially under-funded by SE because they were wary of soft sales of new consoles. We'll see how they recovered from that I guess.

Considering the amount of promotion this game has gotten, I'd say it's a fair bet it's recovered.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    They honestly need to declare Invisble War non-canon and just pick up the story again after Deus Ex 1.

I hope they're building up to a remake of the first one.

It can be done

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Karl wrote: »

It can be done

Yeah there would be a lot of fuss made, but XCOM showed that you really can revive a classic if you have the right love for what made it special in the first place. Fortunately DXHR showed a lot of that love (at least it did to me).

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular

Wut. Huh? The XB1 is selling decently but the PS4 has been at or exceeding PS2's juggernaut sales at the same point of lifespan. How does that excuse make any sense?

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular

Wut. Huh? The XB1 is selling decently but the PS4 has been at or exceeding PS2's juggernaut sales at the same point of lifespan. How does that excuse make any sense?

They started development/funding before the consoles launched, thus didn't know how well they would do.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options

It can be done

Yeah there would be a lot of fuss made, but XCOM showed that you really can revive a classic if you have the right love for what made it special in the first place. Fortunately DXHR showed a lot of that love (at least it did to me).

It can be done

Considering the amount of love and care put into HR I really think they could pull it off, and is also why I'm really excited for MD. Though it does look less like I'll be wondering around normal streets and stuff. I don't remember much of the promo stuff for HR, but the promos for MD make it look like all of the game is gonna be in that augmented city/slums. I kinda hope not, if just for variety of areas.

• Options

It can be done

It can be done

Considering the amount of love and care put into HR I really think they could pull it off, and is also why I'm really excited for MD. Though it does look less like I'll be wondering around normal streets and stuff. I don't remember much of the promo stuff for HR, but the promos for MD make it look like all of the game is gonna be in that augmented city/slums. I kinda hope not, if just for variety of areas.

Well, they could also offer variety within areas. Singapore in HR had a few distinct areas within itself.

This discussion has been closed.