Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

A Midsummer Night's [chat]

2456743

Posts

  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 __BANNED USERS regular
    The Lion King is the best adaptation of Hamlet ever.

  • WashWash Registered User regular
    Havelock wrote:
    Has there ever been a film adaptation of The Tempest?

    Yes, recently. Helen Mirren was in it.

    u5mv3v50fyfj.png
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Pony wrote:
    You know what makes Shakespeare even better?

    GUNS AND EXPLOSIONS

    Pony wrote:
    modern retellings of Shakespeare own

    Yes. they do.

    I liked romeo+juliet.

    But this looks really fun.

    ftOqU21.png
  • TL DRTL DR Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote:
    tl;dr have you seen the latest episode of always sunny?

    it's not quite 'implications' level. but there is a conversation there that is so egocentric and sociopathic it elicits the same sort of 'oh, no!' laughter. it involves a bunker and is just fucking hilarious.
    I have not! In fact, I haven't had much of any time for TV. I just recently got to watch the first episode of this season of Dexter.

    Adding that to my queue, though

    TLDR2014_zps40439c2c.jpg
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    the Coriolanus trailer inevitably reminds me of the TV show Kings

    which I absolutely adore and is incredibly fantastic but is very hard to get people to watch because it has one season then it got cancelled and the plot has no real resolution

    but my god it's some of the best acting and writing that has ever been on TV

  • TehSlothTehSloth Babyface LumbersexualRegistered User regular
    Wash wrote:
    Pony wrote:
    modern retellings of Shakespeare own

    You didn't see modern Romeo + Juliet if you can claim such an opinion.

    Everything about that movie but romeo and juliet was fantastic.

    John Leguizamo's Tybalt = awesome
    Dude that was Mercutio = awesome

    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
  • WashWash Registered User regular
    Pony wrote:
    Wash wrote:
    Pony wrote:
    modern retellings of Shakespeare own

    You didn't see modern Romeo + Juliet if you can claim such an opinion.

    are you high

    I'd have to be to enjoy that movie.

    u5mv3v50fyfj.png
  • DynagripDynagrip destroy everything you touch Registered User, ClubPA regular
  • Squirminator2kSquirminator2k Check out those ports! Sunland, CARegistered User regular
    G'marnen, [Chat].

    It's the start of another beautiful day of unemployment.

    portscenter-pa.gif
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    things i like:

    political drama
    explosions
    guns
    homoerotic masculinity
    modern adaptations of classics
    ralph fiennes

    so this Coriolanus movie has me pretty excited

  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    Wash wrote:
    Pony wrote:
    Wash wrote:
    Pony wrote:
    modern retellings of Shakespeare own

    You didn't see modern Romeo + Juliet if you can claim such an opinion.

    are you high

    I'd have to be to enjoy that movie.

    you weird, bro

    it's a very uneven movie, basically everything concerning romeo and juliet themselves is sorta lame

    but basically everything else about that movie is amazing

  • Squirminator2kSquirminator2k Check out those ports! Sunland, CARegistered User regular
    Romeo and Juliet is not great. It's about stupid teens who think they're in love, but can't be together, and so they die.

    It's basically the Twilight of its time.

    portscenter-pa.gif
  • WashWash Registered User regular
    Okay yeah, Michael from Lost as a cross-dressing Mercutio was great. I maintain the rest was mostly balls.

    u5mv3v50fyfj.png
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Does it make me a horrible person to say that I liked Mel Gibson's Hamlet best of the film versions?

  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    Wash wrote:
    Okay yeah, Michael from Lost as a cross-dressing Mercutio was great. I maintain the rest was mostly balls.

    when was the last time you watched it

  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I feel the correct way to refer to that movie is Baz Luhrmann's William Shakespeare's Romeo Plus Juliet

  • wanderingwandering Registered User regular
    Everything about Romeo+Juliet is great. Including DiCaprio's performance.

    jBEKRTH.png
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    Romeo and Juliet is not great. It's about stupid teens who think they're in love, but can't be together, and so they die.

    It's basically the Twilight of its time.

    yes but Baz Luhrmann is an incredible film-maker and if you can't look past the teenage angst and the shoddy over-acting of a young Leo DiCaprio then i don't fucking know, man

  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Romeo and Juliet is not great. It's about stupid teens who think they're in love, but can't be together, and so they die.

    It's basically the Twilight of its time.

    have you seen the movie we're talking about

    ftOqU21.png
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    alright, i am off downtown to have lunch with Cass, Choco, and BeNarwhal

    peace out homies

  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Warning: Donkey Kong is not a real doctor Registered User regular
    "Local honey cures allergies" is marketing brilliance. I've never met a single person who has claimed that it helped their allergies, but no one is mad since they never expected it to work to begin with. And they keep buying it anyway because it's so much tastier. It's perfect.

    easy_tetris_sig.gifbubbulon3_sig.png
  • WashWash Registered User regular
    Pony wrote:
    Wash wrote:
    Pony wrote:
    Wash wrote:
    Pony wrote:
    modern retellings of Shakespeare own

    You didn't see modern Romeo + Juliet if you can claim such an opinion.

    are you high

    I'd have to be to enjoy that movie.

    you weird, bro

    it's a very uneven movie, basically everything concerning romeo and juliet themselves is sorta lame

    but basically everything else about that movie is amazing

    It lost me when they pulled their longswords out and the swords were guns.

    That stuff is either going to seem awesome or stupid to an audience, and I fall into the latter category.

    u5mv3v50fyfj.png
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    "Local honey cures allergies" is marketing brilliance. I've never met a single person who has claimed that it helped their allergies, but no one is mad since they never expected it to work to begin with. And they keep buying it anyway because it's so much tastier. It's perfect.

    I'm generally not OK with outright lies as a marketing trick

    ftOqU21.png
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    romeo does not sparkle

    Per3th.jpg
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Dynagrip wrote:

    That was terrible. When did the Onion start letting people do serious Op-Eds with gastly wordplay as a patina f comedy over them?
    Or am I missing something, and the very existence of the column is a meta-comment on whether or not Krugman's argument can possibly be serious?

  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Wash wrote:
    Pony wrote:
    Wash wrote:
    Pony wrote:
    Wash wrote:
    Pony wrote:
    modern retellings of Shakespeare own

    You didn't see modern Romeo + Juliet if you can claim such an opinion.

    are you high

    I'd have to be to enjoy that movie.

    you weird, bro

    it's a very uneven movie, basically everything concerning romeo and juliet themselves is sorta lame

    but basically everything else about that movie is amazing

    It lost me when they pulled their longswords out and the swords were guns.

    That stuff is either going to seem awesome or stupid to an audience, and I fall into the latter category.

    ...you have seen very few plays I guess

    ftOqU21.png
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo When life gives you lemons... ...eat your delicious lemonsRegistered User regular
    Well, I had some luke warm interest, so I made a thread in CF. Everybody should go and play.

    It's not really a PBP, in that you don't have to make a character or anything and you can just play at your own pace. Hopefully it should be fun.

    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Warning: Donkey Kong is not a real doctor Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote:
    "Local honey cures allergies" is marketing brilliance. I've never met a single person who has claimed that it helped their allergies, but no one is mad since they never expected it to work to begin with. And they keep buying it anyway because it's so much tastier. It's perfect.

    I'm generally not OK with outright lies as a marketing trick

    Well, this is more bullshit popular medical advice than marketing, but marketers could learn from it!

    easy_tetris_sig.gifbubbulon3_sig.png
  • HavelockHavelock Registered User
    Also, Romeo+Juliet had Pete Postelthwaite.

  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote:
    Wash wrote:
    Pony wrote:
    Wash wrote:
    Pony wrote:
    Wash wrote:
    Pony wrote:
    modern retellings of Shakespeare own

    You didn't see modern Romeo + Juliet if you can claim such an opinion.

    are you high

    I'd have to be to enjoy that movie.

    you weird, bro

    it's a very uneven movie, basically everything concerning romeo and juliet themselves is sorta lame

    but basically everything else about that movie is amazing

    It lost me when they pulled their longswords out and the swords were guns.

    That stuff is either going to seem awesome or stupid to an audience, and I fall into the latter category.

    ...you have seen very few plays I guess

    yeah i don't know man

    this sort of thing is pretty standard for plays, many shakespeare plays mess with the period a little, change the period and the setting and the costumes and shit

    it's one of the beauties of Shakespeare, that adaptability of the basic core stories

    also the longswords and daggers in this context were referred to as brands of guns (even printed on them)

    it worked

    you a busta

  • WashWash Registered User regular
    Are there many plays where the swords are guns Abdy

    u5mv3v50fyfj.png
  • TL DRTL DR Registered User regular
    Honey has been shown to be more effective than Dextromethorphan (the common ingredient in cough syrup) in relieving cough. Never heard that claim about allergies, though.

    Mmm... placebos

    TLDR2014_zps40439c2c.jpg
  • Squirminator2kSquirminator2k Check out those ports! Sunland, CARegistered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote:
    Romeo and Juliet is not great. It's about stupid teens who think they're in love, but can't be together, and so they die.

    It's basically the Twilight of its time.

    have you seen the movie we're talking about

    I've seen Baz Luhrmann's Romeo + Juliet and it is, in my opinion, the least-worst adaptation of the play produced.

    portscenter-pa.gif
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    As a general rule, I never like "modern adaptations" of shakespeare, on film or the stage. I can't think of an exception, honestly. They all annoy me.

  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    Wash wrote:
    Are there many plays where the swords are guns Abdy

    yes

    this is commonplace

    dude do you go to the stratford festival at all

    ever

  • TL DRTL DR Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote:
    Dynagrip wrote:

    That was terrible. When did the Onion start letting people do serious Op-Eds with gastly wordplay as a patina f comedy over them?
    Or am I missing something, and the very existence of the column is a meta-comment on whether or not Krugman's argument can possibly be serious?
    OK, for those wondering:

    Yes, it was a Photoshopped picture of me as Dracula. In the long run we are undead and all that, but not yet.

    No, I didn’t have anything to do with the article. But they spelled my name right, so it’s all good..

    TLDR2014_zps40439c2c.jpg
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    what if the guns shot swords

    Per3th.jpg
  • wanderingwandering Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    spool32 wrote:
    Does it make me a horrible person to say that I liked Mel Gibson's Hamlet best of the film versions?
    well, just so long as you don't like Branagh's version.

    wandering on
    jBEKRTH.png
  • TL DRTL DR Registered User regular
    I'm on the line with tech support for this terrible, awful law firm software and the guy is so nice but the software and his answers are all so bad.

    TLDR2014_zps40439c2c.jpg
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Wash wrote:
    Are there many plays where the swords are guns Abdy
    did it break your immersion

    Per3th.jpg
This discussion has been closed.