As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

HAPPY STRAYA DAY! [AusPAX 2013]

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    If I forget to set an alarm on days I need to get up I always wake up in the middle of the night and remember to set it

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Even though I have to get out of bed to turn my alarm off, I still need to set an alarm on my phone a few minutes later to ensure I get up early.

• Options
    HitsuraptorHitsuraptor Registered User regular
    Tef wrote:
    marty_0001 wrote:
    Tef don't think I've forgotten about our... friendly rivalry on steam gifts. You might have gotten the last laugh in the xmas sales but just you wait til the summer! (in the US)

Mwhahaha

I get the feeling that will end with you guys just sending more and more ridiculous gifts to each other (cake, slabs, money , rare jewels etc)

• Options
    marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    Steam Tekken: 2012 Iron Gift Tournament

• Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    i just bounced out of bed at the early early hour of 1:30pm

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Tef wrote:
    marty_0001 wrote:
    Tef don't think I've forgotten about our... friendly rivalry on steam gifts. You might have gotten the last laugh in the xmas sales but just you wait til the summer! (in the US)

Mwhahaha

I get the feeling that will end with you guys just sending more and more ridiculous gifts to each other (cake, slabs, money , rare jewels etc)

I'm the call girl they hire for each other

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Big plans for the next sale

Big Plans

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Tef wrote:
    #pipe wrote:
    Tef wrote:
    yeah, the days when I bounce out of bed are always good days. Today was not one of those days, unfortunately

I have not had a day like that since Christmas day 1996

David

Not only are you a talented and inspired designer, who I greatly admire

But you have a cool haircut, can grow a manly beard and play the meanest in trumpet in town

I just wanted you to know that

I mean I'm not saying I'm crippled by depression

I just don't sleep very well.

I'm always exhausted in the mornings.

• Options
    Oh, fair enough.

I have confessed my man crush prematurely

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Tef wrote:
    Oh, fair enough.

I have confessed my man crush prematurely

It's okay

He can't go for that (no can do)

• Options
    Trust me :cry:

• Options
    WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    I used to not sleep well. Sleeping better since I lost the weight, but every time I stray and eat poop food (like a few days during christmas) I go back to waking up feeling like a desert with phlegm all over the inside of my mouth (ladies)

can feel tired or not tired at all either way, though. Always been a pretty random thing for me (seemingly not dependent on how much I sleep or when I sleep etc)

4SMZq.jpg
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I just have difficulty shutting my brain off most of the time, I can't stop thinking about stuff.

• Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    #pipe wrote:

I know that some folks are "morning people" and some are "evening people", but it surely seems there's more to it here than that. Have you tried getting it looked at, or is it just one those "meh" things?

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    #pipe wrote:

I know that some folks are "morning people" and some are "evening people", but it surely seems there's more to it here than that. Have you tried getting it looked at, or is it just one those "meh" things?

I am a diagnosed insomniac on permanent medication. Honestly the sleep I get now is much better than when I wasn't medicated.

It's just a thing. I've learned to deal with it.

• Options
    maybe you need a cuddle buddy, #pipe

• Options
    edited January 2012
    #pipe wrote:
    I am a diagnosed insomniac on permanent medication.

Oh, right. My condolences. I fucking love me some sleep... I might go have an afternoon nap shortly.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    I would sleep for weeks if given a choice

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    naps always make me feel worse

• Options
    Cracked.com taught me that people are supposed to sleep for 2-3 hours, wake up and fuck, then sleep for 2-3 hours

I'll never have a good night's rest

• Options
    edited January 2012
    I recently read about a study like 20 years ago where they made couples and small groups live in isolation for a like a month, and they were encouraged to work, exercise, relax, have phone conversations, watch prerecorded movies and tv and stuff

basically they lived a totally normal life, only deprived of a day/night cycle and made ignorant of the time and given no restraints on having to be asleep or awake at any particular time.

I don't remember the exact numbers, but when left just up to when someone felt wakeful or sleepy, the "day/night" cycle shifted to something more like 35 hours.

People would be awake and active until they felt tired enough to go back to sleep, then sleep solid for something like 10-12 hours, then happily wake and do it again.

The trend was visible in people with healthy sleep patterns as well as insomniacs, both groups tended to regress closer to the mean, and both claimed to be more energetic.

I'm trying to find the study now but I can't so maybe I'm misremembering but I definitely remember hearing about it and thinking it was a revelation

#pipe on
  • Options
    Keith wrote:
    naps always make me feel worse

Yep, it's bad enough getting up once a day

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote:
    I recently read about a study like 20 years ago where they made couples and small groups live in isolation for a like a month, and they were encouraged to work, exercise, relax, have phone conversations, watch prerecorded movies and tv and stuff

basically they lived a totally normal life, only deprived of a day/night cycle and made ignorant of the time and given no restraints on having to be asleep or awake at any particular time.

I don't remember the exact numbers, but when left just up to when someone felt wakeful or sleepy, the "day/night" cycle shifted to something more like 35 hours.

People would be awake and active until they felt tired enough to go back to sleep, then sleep solid for something like 10-12 hours, then happily wake and do it again.

The trend was visible in people with healthy sleep patterns as well as insomniacs, both groups tended to regress closer to the mean, and both claimed to be more energetic.

I'm trying to find the study now but I can't so maybe I'm misremembering but I definitely remember hearing about it and thinking it was a revelation

I think I remember that, although it was ages and ages ago. First people moved to 25 hours, stabilised for a brief period, and then just went whole hog off the deep end toward 40 hours.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    Come on you guys that's not going to work

Haven't you seen that episode of Seinfeld?

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    No that is when Kramer starts taking micro naps.

This is different.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure alliance ships run extended days as well in mass effect.

There we are guys, the future is doing it, it must be a good idea.

• Options
    So I'm sitting here working and Jamiroquai's first album just came on. I can't believe this album is nearly 20 years old. In fact, I can't believe anything released in 1993 is nearly twenty years old. I mean, I know the maths adds up. But it just doesn't work.

Yeah I have Jamiroquai in my library, wanna fight about it?

• Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    OdenOden Registered User regular
    I just got offered a job to do the thing that I am going to study when I go back to school in February

this must be one of those situations where the completely shitty, untalented and innapropriate person for the job gets the position because they know the right people

• Options
    Eh, fuck talent. You've been doing this design thing for a while now, surely you're not that shitty.

• Options
    im not, I just don't give myself enough credit – if any, at all

but get this, the job is a web design and development job.

my entire knowledge of which I know from teaching myself, mostly from that book you gave me and using the internet

whatever, I'm sure I'll do fine

• Options
    I've seen much worse stuff from people who have a lot more experience than I do

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Oh, well if it's actual "development", you're gonna struggle (unless you've been teaching yourself programming), but if it's just screwing around with CMS and stuff, you'll manage well enough.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    hey man

every single job I have ever had, including the one I have now, I got because I knew the right people

it's never JUST because of that; in all cases, these people put me up for the job because they know I can do the work

and I actually GOT all those jobs because I am an ace interviewee

ain't no shame in it

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    Just remember, fake it till you make it or get fired.

• Options
    Oh, well if it's actual "development", you're gonna struggle (unless you've been teaching yourself programming), but if it's just screwing around with CMS and stuff, you'll manage well enough.

cms for now working with wordpress and then more stuff when I'm ready

I'm working out the details with the company now

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Oden wrote:
    im not, I just don't give myself enough credit – if any, at all

but get this, the job is a web design and development job.

my entire knowledge of which I know from teaching myself, mostly from that book you gave me and using the internet

whatever, I'm sure I'll do fine

you'll be fine because your knowledge is contemporary

web design/development is an area that changes rapidly and constantly, so honestly it's less about formal training and more about staying up to date with what's happening and what the trends are

as long as you do that, you will be fine

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    I have told you guys the story about the crane operator that was hired that had never driven a crane before, right?

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Vivixenne wrote:
    you'll be fine because your knowledge is contemporary

web design/development is an area that changes rapidly and constantly, so honestly it's less about formal training and more about staying up to date with what's happening and what the trends are

as long as you do that, you will be fine

Unless it's an actual development role where you are required to know how to program in a handful of languages and are familiar with the foundations and constructs of a programming language. You can't really pick that up in the course of a few weeks unless you're a genius I guess.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    the course goes for 1.5 years

the timing of this offer couldn't be worse

This discussion has been closed.