As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect]: Victory & Commendation Packs out! Mark ALL spoilers or BANSHEES!!

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Basil wrote: »
    Zzulu wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks the
    relays exploding means end of life in the universe or even close to it have no imagination at all.

Scientists and engineers near Earth (Those who made the crucible, i.e the best and brightest) discover a way to travel long distances again. Survivors at Palaven manage to reconnect with the armada at Earth due to relatively low manual jumping distances between the two systems. Food shortages are solved by Quarian liveship technology and the Geth function as a super-advanced workforce that never sleeps. Before you know it the galactic scene will be rebuilding itself :^:
    Billions die from disease and starvation with the planetary infrastructure ruined and all industries disrupted. Happy end!
    But the Reapers are gone, and so are their technological traps.

Worth it!

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Orca wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks the
    relays exploding means end of life in the universe or even close to it have no imagination at all.

Scientists and engineers near Earth (Those who made the crucible, i.e the best and brightest) discover a way to travel long distances again. Survivors at Palaven manage to reconnect with the armada at Earth due to relatively low manual jumping distances between the two systems. Food shortages are solved by Quarian liveship technology and the Geth function as a super-advanced workforce that never sleeps. Before you know it the galactic scene will be rebuilding itself :^:
    Billions die from disease and starvation with the planetary infrastructure ruined and all industries disrupted. Happy end!
    But the Reapers are gone, and so are their technological traps.

Worth it!
    Human sacrifice, cats and dogs living together, mass hysteria!

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    huh, I just finished the Lesuss monastery mission and for some reason all of my credits are gone

275k at the start of the mission. 12500 on the normandy afterwards.

where the hell did they go

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    Lux782Lux782 Registered User regular
    Anyone who thinks the

Scientists and engineers near Earth (Those who made the crucible, i.e the best and brightest) discover a way to travel long distances again. Survivors at Palaven manage to reconnect with the armada at Earth due to relatively low manual jumping distances between the two systems. Food shortages are solved by Quarian liveship technology and the Geth function as a super-advanced workforce that never sleeps. Before you know it the galactic scene will be re-establishing itself :^:

And..
    Once everything starts to look up and life appears to be getting better one race is gonna piss another race off for doing something they think is "stupid". Then war will break out and we then have a universe in which another game can take place!

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    wilting wrote: »
    A suicide mission version of the end: http://h9.abload.de/img/jhtqyrqxxg.jpg Spoilers, obviously.

That's pretty good, but I don't like:

How it removes the synthesis ending, and makes destruction of the mass relays contingent on some vague 'mistake' by Shepard if wounded. Relay destruction is part and parcel of using the crucible.

It should remove it
    Saren suggested Synthesis was the ultimate evolution in Mass Effect and he was wrong then, and Shepard told him so. Because the Synthesis that he wanted, just like the synthesis that the Catalyst is suggesting, is based on the Reapers and that is entirely counter to everything Shepard has worked for. That he'd accept it now, or it be somehow the "right" course of action is absurd and contrary to the internal lore of the series.

The entire Synthesis ending is terrible, out of place, and contradicts what has come before in the series.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    So, I just beat the first plot advancing mission after Mars.

Playing ME3 has really reminded me why I love the Mass Effect franchise so much. Plus I'm enjoying seeing all the familiar faces from the original crew.

Btw, did I miss something from previous games, or is Kaiden Alenko gay / bi? My male Shep gave him a complement and he laughed and suggested I was flirting with him. Maybe that was a response intended for a female Shep, but Bioware got lazy and just left it in 'cause it sorta makes sense, only not really considering my previous relationship with him. Plus it just sounded totally awkward and weird.

• Options
    Yeah he's into cock now.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    you can do him if you want

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-4gsKbBLrI

:winky:

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Lux782 wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks the

Scientists and engineers near Earth (Those who made the crucible, i.e the best and brightest) discover a way to travel long distances again. Survivors at Palaven manage to reconnect with the armada at Earth due to relatively low manual jumping distances between the two systems. Food shortages are solved by Quarian liveship technology and the Geth function as a super-advanced workforce that never sleeps. Before you know it the galactic scene will be re-establishing itself :^:

And..
    Once everything starts to look up and life appears to be getting better one race is gonna piss another race off for doing something they think is "stupid". Then war will break out and we then have a universe in which another game can take place!

Again, "conventional" FTL is still faster than Trek stuff.

And Eden Prime is fine. Beautiful garden world, just a hop, skip, and jump away from Earth. Not sure where the closest Turian world is, so Dextros may be screwed, but everyone else in Sol doesn't have to worry.

Yes, loss of infrastructure will be incredibly nasty. But the major worlds should be alright. It's the minor colonies and places far from their farming colonies that will be in trouble.

• Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I don't think this has been posted here. To pour fuel on the ending fire, Brent Knowles, a former BioWare designer for BG2, NWN, and DA:O, criticizes the ending here (you have to load a few more pages of comments to get to it. The interesting part his commentary about the ending, not why Day 1 DLC is bad).

Spoiler'd for length, not actual spoilers. He mentions no plot details of ME3. His criticisms are entirely about meta-aspects of the ending.
    I read one recent blog post where the writer basically said "the ending was awesome because it was just like a movie" and I think she was missing the point.

It is a game. Not a movie.

And more specifically, its a role-playing game. The players are *part* of the game. Part of the process of building and experiencing the game, much more so than with most other forms of entertainment.

Entitlement is really a right, for the gamer, because they have participated, actively, in the game itself.

Again, I can't speak to the actual ending myself, because I have not played it but in generally I'd say a Role-Playing Video Game Trilogy Ending should (try to) do the following:

1. Reward the player's choices throughout the series. The big stuff they did should be noted. They should *feel* like they had a unique impact on the world.

2. End on a positive note. This is really important for video games... life in general is full of shitty stuff happening all the time. When I invest a hundred hours into a game I need to walk away feeling like a hero.

When you waste a couple hours of a person's life with an artsy/depressing movie or short story or even a novel, it is more forgivable because the time spent is less. And presumably the consumer knew what they were going into when they started. Certain directors create certain styles of movie. Certain writers write specific types of fiction.

On the other hand somebody playing an epic role-playing video-game trilogy is going to *expect* to be the hero and save the universe. That's why they are playing the game. When expectations don't match reality, disappointment is created.

It might be an artistic/creative move to go with a different style of ending but I feel its the wrong choice, especially for a videogame *trilogy*. Make your middle game bleak if you want to, but end the series on a high note.

I think his ideas on proper endings articulate why people are so disappointed with ME3's ending. Certainly, the ending he wrote for DA:O was a lot more satisfying.

He also explicitly advances the idea that players are entitled to the ending they want. Very direct contradiction of the PA strip from yesterday.

htm on
  • Options
    RiqaRiqa Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    huh, I just finished the Lesuss monastery mission and for some reason all of my credits are gone

Find that happens when you load from an autosave from time to time. It resets your money and medkits to 0 and Shepards level to 1. I not sure if there's any way to fix it other then loading up a earlier save. =/

Riqa on
    3DS: 3411-1583-6442
    Steam: Noai
    Warframe: Fairwoods
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I don't even remember DA:O's ending so it can't have been too good.

[edit] oh wait, you slay the dragon and then everyone is in a room or something right?

[edit2] yeah that wasn't very memorable

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Garris got sent to the big bar in the sky though on our way to the beam, which shook me up a bit. So did EDI's body.
    Not if you choose the Synthesis ending, or you romanced Garrus! If you did, then they're both alive. The implication being, they make it off in all endings.

You were trying to save the galaxy with your dying breaths, and they were running away. They abandoned you. They left you behind to die. They're fine by the way. Not even injured. They just turned around, got on the Normandy, and fled. Of course, Garrus will likely die of starvation soon if you choose the red or blue endings, and you just murdered EDI if you choose red. So I guess if you choose red you're right, you'll be able to meet them at the big bar in the sky and ask them why they didn't try to complete the mission.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    So I managed to squeeze one game of multi in with a few of you fine PA folks. Sorry I had to cut it short, my wife got home and I wanted to spend some time with her since I'm going away for the next few days.

I'm pretty convinced that 2 adepts, 1 vanguard + 1 other is a killer team. We really had no trouble mopping up silver Reapers. I'd like to see this team in gold.
    I don't even remember DA:O's ending so it can't have been too good.

[edit] oh wait, you slay the dragon and then everyone is in a room or something right?

It was acceptable. There are some pretty significant variations based on your race and class, as I recall. But there are a few ways things can go down.

It's certainly more logically and internally consistent than ME3's.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    wiltingwilting I had fun once and it was awful Registered User regular
    A suicide mission version of the end: http://h9.abload.de/img/jhtqyrqxxg.jpg Spoilers, obviously.

How it removes the synthesis ending, and makes destruction of the mass relays contingent on some vague 'mistake' by Shepard if wounded. Relay destruction is part and parcel of using the crucible.

It should remove it
    Saren suggested Synthesis was the ultimate evolution in Mass Effect and he was wrong then, and Shepard told him so. Because the Synthesis that he wanted, just like the synthesis that the Catalyst is suggesting, is based on the Reapers and that is entirely counter to everything Shepard has worked for. That he'd accept it now, or it be somehow the "right" course of action is absurd and contrary to the internal lore of the series.

The entire Synthesis ending is terrible, out of place, and contradicts what has come before in the series.

Except it clearly isn't like that at all.

It isn't on the Reapers terms, it is a new paradigm only made possible by the Crucible. It is clearly a positive ending - one that enables Shepard to break the cycle - which it isn't clear control would - and is thematic culmination of making peace between the Geth/Quarians and the EDI/Joker relationship. A third way. Does it turn everybody into husks? No, it does not. Does it lead to robot sexy times? Yes, it does.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular

It should remove it

It isn't on the Reapers terms, it is a new paradigm only made possible by the Crucible. It is clearly a positive ending - one that enables Shepard to break the cycle - which it isn't clear control would - and is thematic culmination of making peace between the Geth/Quarians and the EDI/Joker relationship. A third way. Does it turn everybody into husks? No, it does not. Does it lead to robot sexy times? Yes, it does.

It's still
    rooted in the abilities and designs of the Catalyst, regardless of whether or not the Crucible is what made it possible. THe Catalyst is the Reapers, for all intents and purposes. "A mixture of organic and synthetic signals" is actually the foreshadowing used in ME2 just before you discover you've found a baby Reaper. Thematically speaking this is a rejection of the idea of the importance of diversity in the Mass Effect universe, because you are turning everyone into a thing. The fact that that thing can easily be compared to a Reaper is only more and more damning.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I'd like to say to anyone who opposes alternative endings on the principle of their inclusion cheapening the impact and meaning of the current ending: Get bent.
    Not everyone appreciates the same things in a narrative. Some appreciate self-sacrifice as a delivery method for impact and meaning, some prefer to imagine what surviving through horrible events might do to a character in the future. Death in itself can be the easy way out, the "happy" ending if you will. Surviving in itself isn't inherently happy, and can in fact be in some ways the grimmer ending. It is also more satisfying to some people than the main character dying. (I'm aware one of the endings has Shepard surviving. This point has just come up several times.)

Then again, why would a happy ending be inherently less meaningful or have less impact than a tragic, bittersweet ending? What about a complete clusterfuck of an ending for FailSheps? The inclusion of such choices allows for a greater number of people to find endings to their stories that they find satisfying, and doesn't take ANYTHING away from the people that enjoy the current ones. You don't have to pick the choices that provide the ending you don't want. The existence of choice is better than there just being a single ending that you happen to enjoy. Telling others that changing it would cheapen it just smacks of arrogance, as if though your preferences are somehow superior to those of the people dissatisfied with the ending. You'd rather that other people wouldn't even get the option for a satisfying ending, as the fact that another ending exists somehow reduces your enjoyment in the ending you already have. It's completely baffling.

I mean, I want them all in. I want to make several different narratives with different playing approaches. But I can't. Because there are no alternative endings.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    JackKieserJackKieser Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Anyone up for some 360 MP? Not very many PA people are online and doing MP right now. Shoot me a msg (GT: Jack Kieser) if you're up for it.

Balanced-Brawl-Sig-2.gif?t=1271711610
  • Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    Quick PSA for Reaper killing.

I know Brutes and Banshees are really scary and all, but they're also slow and easy to kite. Meanwhile the Ravagers sit across the map and rain fire on anyone unlucky enough to be caught out of cover. So do the whole team a favor and kill those fuckers first.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

It should remove it

Also note that regarding the cycle?
    In theory you already disproved the need for it by brokering peace between the Quarians and the Geth. Machines wiping out all organic life isn't inevitable.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Quick PSA for Reaper killing.

I know Brutes and Banshees are really scary and all, but they're also slow and easy to kite. Meanwhile the Ravagers sit across the map and rain fire on anyone unlucky enough to be caught out of cover. So do the whole team a favor and kill those fuckers first.

Addendum if I may: Also, do not try to do this challenge with nothing but offensive classes. You need an Adept specc'd for Biotic Explosions, or a Salarian Engineer, or a Turian Sentinel, or something that's good at stripping defenses. Overload or Energy Drain are damn near a must just for draining barriers and Shields, and Warp or Incinerate are fantastic for weakening Ravager armor.

Also don't ignore Marauders, two of them can tear a teammate to pieces in a matter of seconds if you're caught out of cover.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i would not categorize brutes or banshees as "slow"

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Elendil wrote: »

Brutes are pretty slow.

So are Banshees when they aren't in Super Saiyan mode.

Brutes and Banshees are meant to do two things.

1. Break up your formation.

2. Be a distraction.

Basically, they are there to be big and scary so their little friends can pick you off.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Elendil wrote: »

Brutes are pretty slow.

So are Banshees when they aren't in Super Saiyan mode.

The problem with trying to get the ravagers first is map placement. Unless you've got the high ground, brutes and banshees always outpace the ravagers. So you either lack line of sight, or unless your team really focuses on bringing the ravagers down from the high ground, you find yourself quickly overwhelmed and even outflanked.

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Hey Orca, you don't have this on your ME Fanart page.

Comic edit by Sticks:
    happy_endings.jpg

No spoilers.

Shimshai on
    Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    So I went and grabbed up ME2(again) and it came with a bunch of free DLC. Got that and the Genesis DLC. Started up a rowdy renegade femshep and basically made all the exact opposite choices I did in ME1. Looking forward to seeing all the different things that come up in the story as I roll through 2 and than 3 again.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    Managed to beat reapers on silver finally

the cerberus lab map makes for pretty frantic moments, especially when you have hold the point objectives

its really easy to get yourself trapped by ravagers or brutes in parts of that map

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    It's really lame you only get one of those packs for beating Silver. I've beat it a good 10 times today.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Riqa wrote: »

Find that happens when you load from an autosave from time to time. It resets your money and medkits to 0 and Shepards level to 1. I not sure if there's any way to fix it other then loading up a earlier save. =/

It did quite a bit more than that to mine. Half my abilities locked out, and changed to default femshep. Also, right before a mission, so my last save is from 15 hours ago. I am kinda pissed.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    I guess if you spot a brute early enough they're not bad.

Banshees can cover half the map in about seven seconds though. I agree with the thesis that ravagers are fucking assholes and should be put down ASAP (I think I died more to swarmer DoT than anything else this last round, just because I'd rush the hell out of them whenever I had a chance), but it's waaay easier to break line of sight on a ravager than it is to deal with a banshee.

• Options
    TheConstantWayTheConstantWay Registered User regular
    Randomed into a Reaper Gold match with pubs, had a salarian infiltrator and salarian engineer with Widows, some human class, and me on my human engineer. We actually made it to wave 8, I was pretty impressed. Of course, it was on Firebase Noveria, but still.

Also, seconded about kiting banshees and brutes while dropping Ravagers and Marauders. Avoiding melee or slow projectiles is easy. It's the dudes with guns you need to be worried about.

• Options
    SkexisSkexis Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I seem to have more problems with instakills coming from Banshees than any other heavy unit. Brutes are easy to take out as long as you're aware of your surroundings, and what you can use to block his charges, but the combined barrier and armor on Banshees, and their tendency to get right in your face and put you down for the count makes them my priority every time.

Given, they're not a huge problem for the group as a whole, until the game starts throwing multiple respawning Banshees at you, like on a silver hacking wave.

Skexis on
  • Options
    Inter_dInter_d Registered User regular
    Iblis wrote: »
    Hooray, beat Reapers on silver! Incidently, the best tip I have for people trying to do this is make sure your group has a character who can detonate Warp. Even using my Human Adept, I was able to take off half a Brute's life by comboing Warp and Shockwave. We had another Adept in the group, but he did not seem to understand this. I imagine a character that can detonate Warp from a range (or a team that can) would make short work of Brutes and shred the Banshee's before they get too close.

Synergy, folks! that's where it's at.

As a drell adept working with an asari adept we managed to fucking decimate banshees. It was ridiculous, we dropped them bitches so fast you'd think they were terminally ill she-monsters who scream because god was so cruel to them.

Wish I had a core group on live though.

• Options
    eeSanGeeSanG I slice like a goddamn hammer. Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    That's why Infiltrator is my favorite MP class.

Widow snipe priority targets from long range, stealth for objectives and revives, and can potentially solo any wave minus Single Area Hack. Just... don't miss your shots. I had one embarrassing game where I was 1v1ing a Maurader and it took me an entire Widow resupply to finally kill it while all of my dead teammates watched.

There are some enemies that ignore stealth when you're the sole survivor though, such as Geth Primes. But that's what Quarians are for.

eeSanG on
    LFMGb.jpg
    Slice like a god damn hammer. LoL: Rafflesia / BNet: Talonflame#11979
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I keep hearing fantastic things about biotic kabooms, but I keep not seeing awesome chunks of health going off scary things when I do it with my sentinel. I've done the warp/throw thing over and over and over and over and over on Atlases, slowly whittling them down while my team does something, hopefully productive, elsewhere.

I mean, everything around them dies. That's cool, don't get me wrong. Those explosions are like whoah to them little guys.

Its possible that I'm just going prematurely senile and/or suffer from huge gun envy.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    My biggest complaint about Banshees is the occasional bullshitastic way their insta-kill can work.

Last night I tried to run past one, while cloaked mind you, to get to a squadmate to revive them.

FIfteen feet past the Banshee I'm no longer running to my squadmate but instead sliding back to the Banshee, while still cloaked, to get a hand through my chest.

I was not happy.

• Options
    Inter_dInter_d Registered User regular
    Bioware has some serious gold here in ME3, I'm not going to lie.

If the next game set in the mass effect universe is going to be made it has to be a 4 player co-op story. Keep the elements from MP and adopt the dialogue system from SWTOR and I'd buy that shit the moment the preorders went up.

I'd love love love it.

• Options
    My biggest complaint about Banshees is the occasional bullshitastic way their insta-kill can work.

Last night I tried to run past one, while cloaked mind you, to get to a squadmate to revive them.

FIfteen feet past the Banshee I'm no longer running to my squadmate but instead sliding back to the Banshee, while still cloaked, to get a hand through my chest.

I was not happy.

Instakill is such a cheap design tactic, period. The AI is good, but I wish they'd put just a tad more thought into the enemy design.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    I keep hearing fantastic things about biotic kabooms, but I keep not seeing awesome chunks of health going off scary things when I do it with my sentinel. I've done the warp/throw thing over and over and over and over and over on Atlases, slowly whittling them down while my team does something, hopefully productive, elsewhere.

I mean, everything around them dies. That's cool, don't get me wrong. Those explosions are like whoah to them little guys.

Its possible that I'm just going prematurely senile and/or suffer from huge gun envy.

How are you specced on Warp and Throw? Do you have the Sentinel's +20% power and force Tech Armor bonus rocking?

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    I hardly ever get instant killed

if I do I was either being dumb or lagging

This discussion has been closed.