As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect]: Victory & Commendation Packs out! Mark ALL spoilers or BANSHEES!!

• Options
    wiltingwilting I had fun once and it was awful Registered User regular
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, the ending is thematically sound, it is just that the implementation could be better.

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    man, how do I get
    Ken and Gabby to hook up

every time I go in there neither one of them has anything to say

is it triggered by a late-game plot mission?

• Options
    JucJuc EdmontonRegistered User regular
    wilting wrote: »
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, the ending is thematically sound, it is just that the implementation could be better.

I can agree with that whole-heartedly.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular

I have to disagree wholeheartedly. With the first half, anyway.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    The reaction to the ending is no worse than the folks insisting that anybody who has issues with the ending doesn't have a valid point and implies they're too stupid, ignorant, or unaware to "get" it. It amazes me that people think that the ME games are somehow above and beyond criticism, even on points where there are glaring issues.

To put things in perspective, how many comments do you see floating around about how anybody who is okay with the ending just fails to understand how bad it is? Because I haven't found any. That's because the folks who don't like the ending aren't somehow offended by the notion that other folks hold a different, dissenting opinion and don't feel a need to criticize them for it.

Don't see why it's such a problem for some people that other people want to talk about the how and why of what they percieve are problems with the ending.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    The reaction to the ending is no worse than the folks insisting that anybody who has issues with the ending doesn't have a valid point and implies they're too stupid, ignorant, or unaware to "get" it. It amazes me that people think that the ME games are somehow above and beyond criticism, even on points where there are glaring issues.

To put things in perspective, how many comments do you see floating around about how anybody who is okay with the ending just fails to understand how bad it is? Because I haven't found any. That's because the folks who don't like the ending aren't somehow offended by the notion that other folks hold a different, dissenting opinion and don't feel a need to criticize them for it.

Don't see why it's such a problem for some people that other people want to talk about the how and why of what they percieve are problems with the ending.

Uh

I've seen plenty of comments saying pretty much "anybody who is okay with the ending just fails to understand how bad it is".

Hell, one of my buddies is one of those who says that. He's pissed off about the fact that I'm not pissed off about the ending.

Sooooo...

• Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    I wish I was one of the people who liked the ending

but hey
    whatcha gonna do

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Also the multiplayer has made me appreciate how bad-ass Shepard is. If we could bring in our individual Shepards for multiplayer, I don't know if even Gold would provide an appropriate level of challenge. Shield Drain and Sabotage on the same Engineer? The horror.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    I'm maintaining a quantum state of being both content with the ending and utterly repelled by it. I refuse to think about whether I liked it or not, because I don't want to collapse it.

It's very difficult to maintain.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Anyone wanna multi some?

SanderJK on Origin.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    EnderEnder Registered User regular
    Krogan soldier is my new fave.

Wh3eeeee!

• Options
    eeSanGeeSanG I slice like a goddamn hammer. Registered User regular
    My take on the whole Reaperfication process:
    Shepard taking the Control option turns her into the sentience of the human reaper. It was a trap!

Even if we never saw it, there's no way they didn't complete a human reaper as the Collector base almost finished one and I doubt they had as many people as on Earth.

LFMGb.jpg
    Slice like a god damn hammer. LoL: Rafflesia / BNet: Talonflame#11979
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I don't see what's so bad about
    the game ending on a lighter note than galactic society ruined, the devastated remnants every civilization effectively cut off from each other, and everyone you ever knew and cared about throughout the whole series is either dead or stranded outside an unlivable, burnt-out husk of a planet, many of those who lived destined to starve to death. Doesn't feel like much of a victory after going through all that effort to unite the galaxy.

I guess the salarians make it out okay. Good for them.

• Options
    Arteen wrote: »
    I don't see what's so bad about
    the game ending on a lighter note than galactic society ruined, the devastated remnants every civilization effectively cut off from each other, and everyone you ever knew and cared about throughout the whole series is either dead or stranded outside an unlivable, burnt-out husk of a planet, many of those who lived destined to starve to death. Doesn't feel like much of a victory after going through all that effort to unite the galaxy.

I guess the salarians make it out okay. Good for them.
    I just don't see it being as bad as all that. The relay network is down, but intracluster travel is as fast as ever. So empires break apart into cluster-sized states. It's not the end of the universe.

The universe is drastically changed, granted.

The homeworlds and many of the colony worlds are fucked, of course, but that's going to happen regardless, just in the leadup to the ending.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Late game spoiler question.
    Rannoch isn't showing up a landing spot for the Geth fighter mission. Haven't done priority Rannoch yet. Bugged or does it show up after I rescue the admiral?

• Options
    Arteen:
    Destroying the Mass Relays doesn't end galactic civilization, it just increases travel times to months/years. Communications could still be real time with quantum entangling.

Merely surviving the Reapers is a huge victory, given the lovecraftian nature of the universe that is huge. The conflict would feel meaningless if there were no losses, it would cheapen the power of the Reapers.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Juc wrote: »

Pretty much how I feel.

• Options
    Bogart wrote: »
    Late game spoiler question.
    Rannoch isn't showing up a landing spot for the Geth fighter mission. Haven't done priority Rannoch yet. Bugged or does it show up after I rescue the admiral?

Sounds bugged, I think they both showed up for me.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    You know. Bioware should really add a "Shake controls wildly" option to try and break out of instant kill moves.

Like they've got with Husks. But for Banshees...because fuck them.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    With enough effort, it is possible to lose a gold at 38 minutes.

Team Falcon performed SCIENCE!

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Hooray, beat Reapers on silver! Incidently, the best tip I have for people trying to do this is make sure your group has a character who can detonate Warp. Even using my Human Adept, I was able to take off half a Brute's life by comboing Warp and Shockwave. We had another Adept in the group, but he did not seem to understand this. I imagine a character that can detonate Warp from a range (or a team that can) would make short work of Brutes and shred the Banshee's before they get too close.

Iblis on
    Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Arteen:
    Destroying the Mass Relays doesn't end galactic civilization, it just increases travel times to months/years. Communications could still be real time with quantum entangling.

Merely surviving the Reapers is a huge victory, given the lovecraftian nature of the universe that is huge. The conflict would feel meaningless if there were no losses, it would cheapen the power of the Reapers.
    Effectively, removal of immediate communication, travel, and resource trade does end galactic civilisation. God help you if you were on a city world that didn't get destroyed anyway, you've got no food now, and no real way to get it. Or tell anyone you need it. Removal of the transportation methods the galaxy depends on is more than a "disruption", it's catastrophic. They've gone out of their way to say "the relays make interstellar travel possible".

And no losses... Well, three major empire homeworlds are burnt shells, billions if not trillions are dead, and you've lost or personally killed multiple crewmembers/friends. Look, in my world those count as "losses".

• Options
    dporowski wrote: »
    Arteen:

Effectively, removal of immediate communication, travel, and resource trade does end galactic civilisation. God help you if you were on a city world that didn't get destroyed anyway, you've got no food now, and no real way to get it. Or tell anyone you need it. Removal of the transportation methods the galaxy depends on is more than a "disruption", it's catastrophic. They've gone out of their way to say "the relays make interstellar travel possible".

And no losses... Well, three major empire homeworlds are burnt shells, billions if not trillions are dead, and you've lost or personally killed multiple crewmembers/friends. Look, in my world those count as "losses".
    Regardless of the cost--even at the cost of this cycle's galactic civilizations--the Relays had to be destroyed.

If galactic civilization doesn't make it, then the next group to get their tech up (the Raloi and maybe the Yahg) will be the ones to find out what the universe is like, free of the cycles.

Knowing the price...I pay it gladly.

• Options
    JucJuc EdmontonRegistered User regular

Dragkonias wrote: »
    You know. Bioware should really add a "Shake controls wildly" option to try and break out of instant kill moves.

Like they've got with Husks. But for Banshees...because fuck them.

my girlfriend already tries to use that control anytime something tries to melee her ... always.

• Options
    Ending spoilers:

We can build new relays.

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Basil wrote: »
    With enough effort, it is possible to lose a gold at 38 minutes.

Team Falcon performed SCIENCE!

In other science related news, FUCK THE PULSE RIFLE ON GOLD.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    kai leng
    he was a little bit cheesey, but I thought effective. I definitely wanted to murk him after the first citadel mission, and after thessia I was actively pissed.

The ending fight was well done too, with shepard taunting him as it went on

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Mr FuzmsMr Fuzms Auckland, New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I'm having a crack at the NG+ with my Default BroShep Soldier. It's pretty challenging, but not overly so...yet. Did come across one bit of dialogue I missed before which made me laugh. Mid-Game spoiler...
    Came across an Aliens reference when I did the Rachni/Grunt mission. I chose to kill her this time rather than save her as I did before, and when you speak to Joker about it afterwards he finishes off with the line

"Do you want to nuke it from orbit? It's the only way to be su...oh forget it, nevermind." made me giggle.

• Options
    OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    so, Kelly Chambers. Should have told her to change her name. Oops.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Arteen:

Regardless of the cost--even at the cost of this cycle's galactic civilizations--the Relays had to be destroyed.

If galactic civilization doesn't make it, then the next group to get their tech up (the Raloi and maybe the Yahg) will be the ones to find out what the universe is like, free of the cycles.

Knowing the price...I pay it gladly.
    While on one hand, sure, I agree with you that the Reapers are something that must be stopped, I don't consider "Yay, I destroyed galactic civilisation and killed everyone I care about!" to be a proper ending to an RPG. Game over screen, sure, but not the ending. The Relays != the Reapers. While "Okay we had to blow those up" is acceptable, leaving it at that is just not. From my game experience in the trilogy, and without filling in any blanks on my own, the ending shows me genocide, extinction, and the death of most life in the galaxy, JUST from the relaysplosion. I could handwave that away with ONE bloody sentence, something saying "blah blah channel the destructive energy into a beam blah blah". But it's not there.

Honestly, if I'd known that the way they wanted to wrap up the story of one character was "destroy the setting utterly", I'd not have bought it. I liked the setting, I liked the character, I was looking forward to that satisfying feeling of completion you get at the end, as you wrap up and put away your memories of the character, knowing you're not going to be playing with this toy again, but man, was that fun, and imagine what fun I can have with the OTHER toys in this box. And then they broke the damn toybox, because they "wanted me to think about what happened".

Meh. Not worth the energy really. I just know that 4 minutes of footage ensured I won't preorder anything else, won't be buying any SP DLC unless they y'know, fix the whole "we destroyed the entire setting" problem, and may not get anything else they do period because "we wanted you to think about it!" isn't how I like things to end, and that seems to be how they develop now.

• Options
    Black_HeartBlack_Heart Registered User regular
    So fun to see everyone pulling out their Rocket Launchers on Wave 11 of a match.

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Arteen:

It doesn't wipe out travel. If I remember the numbers right, it "just" moves days from rim to rim up to a couple decades. So, most Quarians at the battle for Earth, if supplies hold and barring disaster, would live to see Rannoch. Add in some QEC for every major world, and, assuming the Council survived and has somewhere to set up, galactic civilization just took a bullet to the kneecap, not the brain.

Better, Earth is pretty close to Eden Prime and Terra Nova. Major, nearly untouched, farming colonies. If you want food for an army, they're as good as it gets.

Also, Palaven is surviving. Not in good shape, but they're fighting. Probably have supplies.

And Sur'Kesh? It's fine. So the Salarians are as likely to survive as anyone.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I am depressed that it will take that much longer for me to see the ending.

• Options
    A suicide mission version of the end: http://h9.abload.de/img/jhtqyrqxxg.jpg Spoilers, obviously.

That's pretty good, but I don't like:

How it removes the synthesis ending, and makes destruction of the mass relays contingent on some vague 'mistake' by Shepard if wounded. Relay destruction is part and parcel of using the crucible.

• Options
    dporowski, your complaints are very similar to the ones of my bud (and it's probably why he's so pissed about it--still).
    You're mourning the death of an interesting universe/franchise. But all things must come to an end, and it was one hell of a brave way for them to do it.

Contrast to Starcraft's ending, where they left themselves a nice fat out with the Zerg. There was no final solution there.

I enjoyed the ride--and I don't know how you would resolve the wildly divergent threads they've created between ME1 and ME3 and still make a coherent game that takes place 10 or even 50 years down the line.

The krogan might be resurgent and respected, starting a new bloodbath, or mired in obscurity on Tuchanka. The geth or the quarians might be all but exterminated. Earth itself might be scoured free of life or not. Maybe the galactic fleets won out through superior numbers, or maybe they were slaughtered during the break-in.

And this is ignoring the sillyness of control versus destroy versus synthesis.

Honestly, I'd be just as happy if we didn't see anything else set in the future of the Mass Effect universe, because I can't imagine resolving all of these separate threads in a satisfying way without making something canon, which they've bent over backwards to avoid.

It's just a pity that it all fell flat in the last 5 minutes...

• Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Anyone who thinks the
    relays exploding means end of life in the universe or even close to it have no imagination at all.

Scientists and engineers near Earth (Those who made the crucible, i.e the best and brightest) discover a way to travel long distances again. Survivors at Palaven manage to reconnect with the armada at Earth due to relatively low manual jumping distances between the two systems. Food shortages are solved by Quarian liveship technology and the Geth function as a super-advanced workforce that never sleeps. Before you know it the galactic scene will be re-establishing itself :^:

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Zzulu wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks the
    relays exploding means end of life in the universe or even close to it have no imagination at all.

Scientists and engineers near Earth (Those who made the crucible, i.e the best and brightest) discover a way to travel long distances again. Survivors at Palaven manage to reconnect with the armada at Earth due to relatively low manual jumping distances between the two systems. Food shortages are solved by Quarian liveship technology and the Geth function as a super-advanced workforce that never sleeps. Before you know it the galactic scene will be rebuilding itself :^:
    Billions die from disease and starvation with the planetary infrastructure ruined and all industries disrupted. Happy end!

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    A suicide mission version of the end: http://h9.abload.de/img/jhtqyrqxxg.jpg Spoilers, obviously.

That's pretty good, but I don't like:

How it removes the synthesis ending, and makes destruction of the mass relays contingent on some vague 'mistake' by Shepard if wounded. Relay destruction is part and parcel of using the crucible.

Worse,
    it makes choosing the Geth clearly and unambiguously the wrong action to take.

And it doesn't even take into account shouting both sides down.

I like the general idea of it (and have put it forth before as a "wouldn't it be nice if...")--but the actual execution they're suggesting for a bunch of this is just plain stupid.

• Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Basil wrote: »
    Zzulu wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks the

Scientists and engineers near Earth (Those who made the crucible, i.e the best and brightest) discover a way to travel long distances again. Survivors at Palaven manage to reconnect with the armada at Earth due to relatively low manual jumping distances between the two systems. Food shortages are solved by Quarian liveship technology and the Geth function as a super-advanced workforce that never sleeps. Before you know it the galactic scene will be rebuilding itself :^:
    Billions die from disease and starvation with the planetary infrastructure ruined and all industries disrupted. Happy end!
    Billions were
    already dead though. By the time you're "fighting for Earth" most of the galaxy has been burned to cinders so it was never going to be a superhappy end. We also have no idea how many people would be unable to sustain themselves after the war either so we can't just assume billions will die because they cant travel through a relay. Space travel still exists too, just not through relays

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
This discussion has been closed.