As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect]: Victory & Commendation Packs out! Mark ALL spoilers or BANSHEES!!

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    tehkensai wrote: »
    they actually do kind of hint that this is possible, but the connection to the ending scenario is never made explicit (or even really implicit)
    javik has a conversation where he talks about how the protheans could transfer feelings/knowledge by touch; they eventually incorporated it into their technology (the beacons.) When shepard doesn't get it, javik says it's because 'communication is still primitive in this cycle.'

obviously the reapers also have the ability to transfer/influence consciousness in this way (indoctrination.)

but aside from in 1-2 conversations with javik, the game doesn't explore it again really ever.
    Yeah, but there's a pretty big step between 'communication' and 'matter rewriting, fundamentally rebuilding an organism/robot's body in a new configuration instantly the second a wave of colorful energy washes over them.' The second one is pure sorcery.
    Dude, no, it's not sorcery, it's just technology we don't understand.

PS. For some reason, reading your posts in Keith David's voice is just hilarious.

About that...
    While yes, you could say that its just tech we don't understand-Its way too far out from what he have seen in the game/series for us to really apply a decent suspension of belief for it. Its so far out of left field and in the last 5 minutes that it just comes of as hokey as midichlorians. If it had a decent explanation or some actual build up to the possibility it would have been more acceptable. But in its current state is, essentially, just space magic. Oh, yeah, and its also why we can accept things like traynor's mass effect tooth brush.
    The crazy thing is, after Tuchanka,
    when Cerberus assaults the Citadel, there's a datapad next to the Talon that says someone snuck in an eezo core for a weapon in a hollowed-out version of that model of toothbrush.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    More ending stuff:
    I don't really believe the inferred holocaust, because despite all my problems with the ending that one has a simple solution. The nerve center of the relays plausibly has a way to deactivate and destroy relays without nuking everything and they just couldn't express it very well since the endings are a big garbled mess, and they needed to show a relay's destruction not merely it's turning off. It even fires the center energy down the rails before exploding, whereas in Arrival that energy was released and nova'ed.

Also, manwiththemachinegun, you should probably put the Endor bit in the tags, too. Relays are a pretty obvious candidate for exploding and it wouldn't take much to put the two together. I got spoiled on the relay thing before beating thanks to Scarab characteristically talking at length outside of tags about mass relay explosion theory in the midst of furious ending chatter.
    sure, but it's no more sorcery than
    reapers creating gestalt consciousness from melted-down organic bodies. If they can do that (and the prothean beacons work the way we observe) it could be that ranged transmission is just a matter of bandwidth and signal strength (i.e. the catalyst.)
    It's more than just transmitting consciousness (and I'm not sure the reapers are reliable narrators to begin with), it's performing massive surgery and fundamentally rebuilding an organism/synthetic into some new class in a second. A colorful corona passes over and suddenly plants have circuitry all over them and everyone's eyes glow. That's downright

we uh, don't actually see that happen, do we?
    I only youtubed the synthesis ending and I may not have paid the most attention to it.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    That world record thing doesn't surprise me at all.

Jennifer Hale is goddamn everywhere.

Her and Steven Jay Blum.

I swear to god one or both of them are in every game I play.

RT800 on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Solo entire wave by yourself.

Die in the first 10 seconds of next wave to Banshee.

• Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    was able to get through Reaper/Silver with a party I didn't know. yay!

now onto Brute hunting

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    About to assault TIM at his HQ. Is the SABER good? You get it literally at the end of that mission. WTF?

• Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    That world record thing doesn't surprise me at all.

Jennifer Hale is goddamn everywhere.

Her and Steven Jay Blum.

I swear to god one or both of them are in every game I play.

Troy Baker will soon join their ranks in the video game world.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    joshgotro wrote: »
    About to assault TIM at his HQ. Is the SABER good? You get it literally at the end of that mission. WTF?

I hear the Saber is basically the Mantis with a higher RoF. So yeah.

• Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    joshgotro wrote: »

I hear the Saber is basically the Mantis with a higher RoF. So yeah.
    It's an AR though. It's so massive. That alone wins in my book.

• Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    Tuchanka:
    I made up my mind to keep the Genophage going. Krogan multiply way too fast, Wrex isn't going to be in charge forever and even he was getting all gung-ho about a new empire. But man if the game didn't make me feel bad for following through. Mordin crawling for the console, saying "not yet..." and dying before he got there. Man.

Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    It's one of the "hybrid" guns. Like the Locust was a SMG/AR in ME2. It's a Sniper/AR.

• Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    Heisenberg wrote: »

Speaking of voice actrors, it's time to post this again;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfSp-ws4w0A&list
    I totally missed that Freddie prinze jr was in this

t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    It's one of the "hybrid" guns. Like the Locust was a SMG/AR in ME2. It's a Sniper/AR.

So the AR/Sniper to the Raptor? I have both equip obviously.

• Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    Got Krogan Sentinel to 20 and promoted him. He earned it, his head is stained with the parts of thousands of enemies. KROGAN HEADSMASH indeed!

Going with Drell Adept now, any tips?
    i'm pretty in love with him already, he is super fast compared to the Krogan.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Klyka wrote: »
    Got Krogan Sentinel to 20 and promoted him. He earned it, his head is stained with the parts of thousands of enemies. KROGAN HEADSMASH indeed!

Just stay behind the other Krogan and you should be good.

joshgotro on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    I'm sitting at 92% Galaxy at War readiness, and two of my last three multiplayer matches failed at Wave 10 and my console FROZE in the second half. Ugghh.

• Options
    I specced Reave for Damage Resistance myself.

And I spec Cluster Grenade for damage. But I mostly use it for biotic explosions and I hear that Biotic explosion aren't effected by the damage a move does so much as its rank so not sure if that was the right choice.

I only put three ranks into Pull because I wanted to level up my Fitness. That being said if you don't mind being a glass cannon you could probably put more points into pull.

As for his spec stuff I stopped at rank 5. You really don't need the weight reduction since you can probably do 200% by yourself.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Zzulu wrote: »
    Heisenberg wrote: »

Speaking of voice actrors, it's time to post this again;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfSp-ws4w0A&list
    I totally missed that Freddie prinze jr was in this

I knew he was Vega, and I was expecting him to suck. I was pleasantly surprised.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    Klyka wrote: »

Pull, Reave
    Reave, Grenade
    top of scoreboard

• Options
    Black_HeartBlack_Heart Registered User regular
    God I love the Multiplayer in this game even though its so simple, if only Bioware would improve it and make it more robust with more game modes, higher levels, more characters and customizations more things to work towards and levels of gear, maps, and objectives it could be a stand-alone game on its own that I would subscribe to.

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    God I love the Multiplayer in this game even though its so simple, if only Bioware would improve it and make it more robust with more game modes, higher levels, more characters and customizations more things to work towards and levels of gear, maps, and objectives it could be a stand-alone game on its own that I would subscribe to.

I'm sure they have DLc planned for it. Game has been out for like two weeks.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Lux wrote: »
    I'm sitting at 92% Galaxy at War readiness, and two of my last three multiplayer matches failed at Wave 10 and my console FROZE in the second half. Ugghh.

How many matches did you play to get that high? I want to start increasing that as I get closer to the end of the game. Speaking of which (this doesn't involve the ending of the game but mid-game stuff):
    I guessed Kai Leng was one of those expanded universe style characters, so I figured "eh" the first time he's in the game... but what happens with him in Thessia counted as the stupidest sequence in the game for me so far. From "hey these people's throats were slit derp" to the bit with the Asari councilor after. So ham-handed.

Javik and Liara's interactions were pretty cool on Thessia. But just... meh.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Is there any way to reset your points in MP? I'd like to think I'm doing a decent job spending them, but then again I'm an idiot. If there's a way to fuck it up, I'll find it.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    Is there any way to reset your points in MP? I'd like to think I'm doing a decent job spending them, but then again I'm an idiot. If there's a way to fuck it up, I'll find it.

You can get a respec thingy in a crate

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    By the time you hit max level (20) you will have enough points to max out 4 of the 5 skill bars and no more.

Once you hit 20, you can "promote" that character, which adds 75 points to your singleplayer war assets, bumps your N7 rank 10 points, and resets that entire multiplayer class to level 1.

Alternately, you can luck out and get a respec card. A Gold-level drop that only comes from Veteran or Spectre packs, with a crazy low drop rate.

• Options
    Oedipus_RexOedipus_Rex We aren't.. related right?Registered User regular
    anybody gonna get on 360 multi? GT OedipusRex22

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    So ME3 MP was originally going to be a separate team-based FPS:
    Mass_Effect_Team_Assault_gameplay.png

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    ThatSwedishGuyThatSwedishGuy SwedenRegistered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    By the time you hit max level (20) you will have enough points to max out 4 of the 5 skill bars and no more.

Once you hit 20, you can "promote" that character, which adds 75 points to your singleplayer war assets, bumps your N7 rank 10 points, and resets that entire multiplayer class to level 1.

Alternately, you can luck out and get a respec card. A Gold-level drop that only comes from Veteran or Spectre packs, with a crazy low drop rate.

Which just goes to show how shitty these random drops are, 'cause I got two of those things.

• Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    So ME3 MP was originally going to be a separate team-based FPS:

I'm glad they decided against it

I find coop modes so much more fun

• Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    wilting wrote: »
    Glancing through the BSN forums, the PA comic had a better point than I previously thought.
    I don't understand people complaining about the ending not being happy enough at all, anyone who thinks that completely fails to understand the nature of the fiction.

Shepard dying makes sense, the relays being destroyed makes sense, fucktons of people dying makes sense.

I'm much more irritated by the reaction to the ending than the ending itself at this stage, and I'm a little sad the hysteria has infected the PA forums.
    Yeah it's almost like the Ending is being recoeved with universal disgust or something.

(it is)

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    I've had three respec cards so far, used one to lose the garbage point in Turian Sentinel's tech armour and another to put three ranks in decoy for my Salarian engineer. I don't see myself ever promoting any characters, levelling up in bronze is so boring and pubbing gold isn't especially bad; even the bad ones manage wave 3, and usually up to wave 6 (and provided it's not a hack the terminal objective I can usually complete them solo).

Favourite classes are Salarian Engineer, Asari Adept, Salarian Infiltrator and Turian Sentinel in that order. I'm pretty much vanguarded out from single player and the demo multi, and I'm still waiting on Krogan Soldier and his glorious Carnage.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    So I guess I may just have to go 15 hours back. That is irritating.

• Options
    stormbringerstormbringer Registered User regular
    All I can say is my ending was perfect.

Now I can finally read some spoilers

All three games I have not min/maxed paragon/renagade. Ended up with a Fem-shep that never held anything back, yelled at people who slacked or deserved it, did the kind thing when able without killing the cause. And was rewarded by going out with a bang, sacrificing myself to pull the reapers back from earth and by extension the war. Just like I asked everyone else to do along the way.

Also I shot TIM which was great, and kept Anderson alive for a bit more. Given my love for Legion and EDI, (I design robotics for a real living) and destroying the Quarians it felt good to not wipe out the synthetics which at least in my run had more humanity then the actual people. Plus those sneaky quarians never once showed sympathy to the Geth after all the crap they did so they can fry.

Garris got sent to the big bar in the sky though on our way to the beam, which shook me up a bit. So did EDI's body.

• Options
    JucJuc EdmontonRegistered User regular
    Matrias wrote: »
    wilting wrote: »
    Glancing through the BSN forums, the PA comic had a better point than I previously thought.
    I don't understand people complaining about the ending not being happy enough at all, anyone who thinks that completely fails to understand the nature of the fiction.

Shepard dying makes sense, the relays being destroyed makes sense, fucktons of people dying makes sense.

I'm much more irritated by the reaction to the ending than the ending itself at this stage, and I'm a little sad the hysteria has infected the PA forums.
    Yeah it's almost like the Ending is universally disgusting or something.

(it is)

I don't think of it as universally disgusting.
    I just think it doesn't make sense, changes how the game mechanics work
    via forced interupts
    , and hell I could go on and on, but it's not ALL bad ... just mostly bad.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Is multiplayer down?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Kai Leng spoiler

How many matches did you play to get that high? I want to start increasing that as I get closer to the end of the game. Speaking of which (this doesn't involve the ending of the game but mid-game stuff):
    I guessed Kai Leng was one of those expanded universe style characters, so I figured "eh" the first time he's in the game... but what happens with him in Thessia counted as the stupidest sequence in the game for me so far. From "hey these people's throats were slit derp" to the bit with the Asari councilor after. So ham-handed.

Kai Leng spoiler
    See now if people were raging about that encounter? I'd get the rage. I was actively fuming when not only did his plot armor let him absorb cloaked headshot after headshot it let him escape.

I was pissed off enough that I skipped though all the post mission talky talk with Hackett while muttering "Fuck off Hackett I'm not in the fucking mood"

Of course then I read the email he sends you and realized I'd just been trolled by Bioware hard.

• Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    Kai Lang is a dumb character whose use in the game is mostly dumb.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Kai Leng spoiler

Kai Leng spoiler
    See now if people were raging about that encounter? I'd get the rage. I was actively fuming when not only did his plot armor let him absorb cloaked headshot after headshot it let him escape.

I was pissed off enough that I skipped though all the post mission talky talk with Hackett while muttering "Fuck off Hackett I'm not in the fucking mood"

Of course then I read the email he sends you and realized I'd just been trolled by Bioware hard.

Kai Leng eats another person's cereal. 8-)

• Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    Kai Leng spoiler

Kai Leng spoiler

I thought Kai Leng was pretty well done
    made me wonder if the latest Mass effect book had in fact done its job perfectly

established him as the master troll of Cerberus

"YOU'RE TOO SLOW SHEPARD" he says as I'm punching his face in

This discussion has been closed.