As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Engadget "confirms" black Xbox 360 Elite, w/ 120 GB and HDMI

• Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    LewieP wrote: »
    I think Carnivore means with regards to how much 1080p sets cost in Europe. So few people will own 1080p capable sets this generation that it won't be a major factor in purchasing decisions.
    He's probably talking about how PAL television formats are higher resolution than NTSC, so the jump to HD isn't as big.

Which is kind of dumb, because it is still a big jump, especially to 1080p.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    CarnivoreCarnivore Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I think Carnivore means with regards to how much 1080p sets cost in Europe. So few people will own 1080p capable sets this generation that it won't be a major factor in purchasing decisions.

This is true.

HD just isn't around in Europe.

I mean we have HD sets in stores.

But HD TV isnt big (I think only Sky offers a small selection of channels atm) and HDDVD players are pretty new.

So for someone buying a console, the PS3 is less attractive because the Blu Ray drive is irrelevant.

Also, can I start (or continue) a FOUR HUNDRED SEVENTY NINE YOU ESS DOLLARS thing up in here?

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The 360 really should have been black in the first place.

Zek on
  • Options
    RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I think it looks ugly in black.

Ranced on
  • Options
    HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Recoil42 wrote: »
    Well, I would have gone for "Xbox 360 Black Edition" "Xbox 360 Platinum" or something like that, but whatever.
    Considering that platinum is a white metal, I'd say that wasn't really an option. :P

But seriously, this sounds like a great upgrade. I was waiting for a 360 price drop, now I guess I'm waiting for a 360 upgrade. Not the black one, though.

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I weep for the motherland. Seriously, you toil through the dark ages, invade the holy land (a few times), muck about with colonizing a larger part of the planet, spawn the industrial revolution, drive the technological revolution and stave off the very genesis of Godwin's law and what do you get?

No bloody HD.

It's criminal, that is. :D

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Threepio wrote: »
    I weep for the motherland. Seriously, you toil through the dark ages, invade the holy land (a few times), muck about with colonizing a larger part of the planet, spawn the industrial revolution, drive the technological revolution and stave off the very genesis of Godwin's law and what do you get?

No bloody HD.

BBC in SD > American TV in 1080p
    ;p

LewieP on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Lunker wrote: »
    Moar liek 360 l337!

I'm betting that was the idea, though.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    You know, this doesn't sound like they confirmed it. It sounds like they just took all of the rumors about it and compiled it into a list. Don't get me wrong, I think it's fairly likely to happen, but this is far from a confirmation.

Invisible on
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Engadget wrote:
    * There are no current plans to integrate WiFi into the Elite or future Premiums (although that can always change).
    :(

FreddyD on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    FreddyD wrote: »
    Engadget wrote:
    * There are no current plans to integrate WiFi into the Elite or future Premiums (although that can always change).
    ;-)

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Hurm... If I had a 360, I might be pissed. But as a future buyer, this makes me rather happy. By the time I can afford a 360 the 120GB version should be the Premium.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    chickenmaniachickenmania Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Well, I would have gone for "Xbox 360 Black Edition" "Xbox 360 Platinum" or something like that, but whatever.
    Considering that platinum is a white metal, I'd say that wasn't really an option. :P

Xbox Charcoal

chickenmania on
    Nerds.
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

No bloody HD.

;p

:^:

ben0207 on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    ben0207 wrote: »

No bloody HD.

;p

hi5 8-)

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    capable heartcapable heart Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    deleted

capable heart on
  • Options
    BladeofTheImmortalBladeofTheImmortal __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Carnivore wrote: »
    FreddyD wrote: »
    Engadget wrote:
    ;-)

Yay, you'd get to rebuy buying it...sorry, i don't see why you are winking really.

BladeofTheImmortal on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Xbox 360: "Fixing Our Mistakes Edition."

To fix one of their biggest mistakes, they'd have to go back in time and prevent the HD-less Core system from being released. :x

HarshLanguage on
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Xbox 360: "Fixing Our Mistakes Edition."

To fix one of their biggest mistakes, they'd have to go back in time and prevent the HD-less Core system from being released. :x

What are you talking about? There is no Core System. Microsoft discarded that as a retarded idea after a guy with a time machine came to our time and told them that.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Gotcha ForceGotcha Force Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The pioneer elite series are well regarded. In the hifi world no one thinks of "elite" as "1337" or whatever the hell you guys seem to be referring to.

they definitely chose an okay name for those who probably care to buy one of these.

Gotcha Force on
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Carnivore wrote: »
    ben0207 wrote: »

No bloody HD.

;p

hi5 8-)

Too true :) I was pleasantly surprised to see Christopher Ecclestone show up on Heroes. I keep expecting him to pop out with "Nice to meet you Rose, I'm the Doctah, RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!"

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So whats the deal on the new chipsets? The integration of it are on top of my list on when to get a 360.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So basically they confirmed it by reading the new Game Informer...

which there was a thread about this same thing several days ago about.

ManetherenWolf on
  • Options
    chomamadogchomamadog Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    "Microsoft never did or nor does not currently have plans to put an HD DVD drive in the 360."

I just had to point this out real quick, WHAT?

edit: I meant this more in jest at the triple(?) negative.

chomamadog on
    OnFriday.png
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    basically, they realized they screwed up in supporting HD over Bluray (which is outselling it by quite a large margin).

ManetherenWolf on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    SirToons wrote: »

Regardless, this brings up the point that now, we have, for $30 cheaper than the cheapest PS3, a system with SIX TIMES the capacity, a far greater game base, HD cables included in the package, a headset....

For $130 less than the 'real' ps3, you're getting a system with twice the HDD capacity, more games, better HDTV support, HD cables included in the package, as well as a headset, etc. etc. etc.

That's just nuts. I mean, to the regular consumer? That's a no-fucking-brainer right there.

This reeeeeallly makes me worry for the ps3.

At this point, it's pretty much got three advantages, period. MGS4, free online, and blu-ray. Two of those are relatively easy for Microsoft to counteract in a trillion ways, and one is arguably just trivial, until blu-ray is declared the sure winner.
    But.... it lacks playing HD disc formats.
    The average consumer doesn't care, since nobody's going to start buying either of the new disc formats until either there's only one of them or dual-format players are widely available. See also: SACD vs. DVD-Audio.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    KarfKarf The Past Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    basically, they realized they screwed up in supporting HD over Bluray (which is outselling it by quite a large margin).
    That isn't what they are saying. They want it to be optional, and not jack the price up for everyone because of it.

Karf on
    sig9.gif
  • Options
    Chris FOMChris FOM Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    They just don't get it. This version of the 360 will do absolutely nothing to spur uptake of the system by the mass market. It will appeal strictly the the hardest of the hardcore who haven't yet bought one yet, which is a damned narrow demographic.

Chris FOM on
  • Options
    temperature!temperature! Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    this kind of makes me mad. I planned on buying a 360 this friday, and bought Oblivion ahead of time, and that makes me not want to wait. I also feel like I should though, because it seems this new one will be fixed from all the problems I read about.

What are the chances I get a crappy 360 if I buy one now, and how is the lifespan so far?

temperature! on
    XBL - Temperature_MD
    PSN - CardboardNine
  • Options
    Robo BeatRobo Beat Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    360 Elite? I think I'd buy one if it said "Wort wort wort!" when you turned it on.

Robo Beat on
    This is not the greatest sig in the world.
    This is just a tribute.
  • Options
    RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Chris FOM wrote: »
    They just don't get it. This version of the 360 will do absolutely nothing to spur uptake of the system by the mass market. It will appeal strictly the the hardest of the hardcore who haven't yet bought one yet, which is a damned narrow demographic.

So, they don't get what?

The premium isn't going anywhere.

Ranced on
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    the xbox 360 xtreme would be a better name
    outa helicopters

see, i knew i shouldnt have bought one right after christmas, angry me :(

Barcardi on
  • Options
    DockenDocken Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Robo Beat wrote: »
    360 Elite? I think I'd buy one if it said "Wort wort wort!" when you turned it on.

And have its own personal shield so that it wouldn't eat games when you knocked it accidently...

Docken on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    a) They'll undoubtedly fix their DVD drive/firmware/piracy mistakes in the new model. A good incentive for them to get it out.
    b) The 120gb (or whatever size, I'm too lazy to read up) harddrive will be aimed at those whom want to download these new spangly HD shows that they have for download.
    c) Being that no games come on HD-DVD I can see why they've excluded that.

So with that in mind, I can't see it doing great or even being released in Europe any time soon. HDMI is pretty much a non issue here, sure it's handy but pretty much all sets can only do 720p/1080i unless you shell out £1k+. HD sets are taking much longer to set off here due to the lack of ANY HD content (about 5 channels on sky). Broadcast quality is only ever going to be 1080i or 720p for the forseeable future. 1080p is too bandwidth intensive to come along for a number of years yet.

On top of that, unless I've just NOT seen it, we don't have the option to download tv shows or much HD content at all. What exactly are we going to fill that harddrive up with? Even if you go mad with demos it's going to take you a while to fill the 20gb up.

The ps3 is out in 2 days and, if early order indications are anything to go by (I'm kind of limited on this speculation having only one friend in one, admittedly popular, gaming shop) the PS3 isn't in too high a demand.

The other issue is it's all good and well you lot getting your price point in dollars, what do we get when/if it's released over here. We always get shafted with higher prices.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    If it really is a limited edition than any firmware anti-piracy updates really won't help them.

And nobody's gotten around the 360's hypervisor yet so the only cheating 360 owners have to deal with is standbying. It's still mod-free, thank god.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    If it really is a limited edition than any firmware anti-piracy updates really won't help them.

Well, the black version will be limited. It would make sense to fold a white version into the Premium spot, as mentioned.

HarshLanguage on
    > turn on light

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

And nobody's gotten around the 360's hypervisor yet so the only cheating 360 owners have to deal with is standbying. It's still mod-free, thank god.

Wrongo.

I can't link to the site(s) but providing the console hasn't been updated since a certain dashboard version then there's a linux distro which can connect via a make shift serial port. It's now perfectly possible (albeit only on about 5% of xbox 360's!) to boot unsigned code.

Ok, for now it's utterly impossible to connect to live or even run games but I imagine it won't take long now to find gaps in the more recent dashboard versions. Don't get me wrong, I'm all against piracy, I am, however, all for homebrew. A version of xbmc running on the 360 would be yummy.

In fact as I hear it, the makeshift serial port is no longer needed.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Halo 3 had better be fucking watertight against any sort of cheating.

I think just taking out any sort of ranking system and keeping it hidden should work.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »

Wrongo.

I can't link to the site(s) but providing the console hasn't been updated since a certain dashboard version then there's a linux distro which can connect via a make shift serial port. It's now perfectly possible (albeit only on about 5% of xbox 360's!) to boot unsigned code.

Ok, for now it's utterly impossible to connect to live or even run games but I imagine it won't take long now to find gaps in the more recent dashboard versions. Don't get me wrong, I'm all against piracy, I am, however, all for homebrew. A version of xbmc running on the 360 would be yummy.

In fact as I hear it, the makeshift serial port is no longer needed.

Uh, yeah, there's only possibly a few thousand Xboxes that have that specific exploit (you updated your 360 in November, but didn't update it since then. It's impossible to update a new 360 to this specific update), and it still doesn't let you get on Live with modified content. That was my point. People can run Linux all they want, they can run unsigned code all they want, but they're not gonna get on Xbox Live or know how to make signed code without MS. And that's all I want.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    So, for $479 bucks you get a system with HDMI and a 120GB HD. And you could pick up a PS3 for $20 more. Didn't Microsoft do quite a bit or ripping on Sony for releasing a console at sich a high price? I wonder how that's going to work in the store when a consumer who is interested in picking up a 360 Xtreem Edition notices that he can get a PS3 for a measly twenty bucks more. Will the average consumer trade the awesomeness that is the current 360 lineup and Live Arcade for the awesomeness that is free online play, the promise of MGS4, user-replaceable hard drives, and Blu-Ray games/movies?

But Jesus fuck, how many different 360s are we gonna see? Barely more than a year and we've damn near confirmed three separate SKUs. And now your $400 Premium is the new 'Tard Pack because for $80 more, you can get HDMI, a cooler running system, and a hard drive large enough to actually store shit on.

gg Microsoft.

They'd be much better off phasing out the Core (the original 'Tard Pack... like the Fairy TardFather or something), dropping the price on the Premium to something reasonable like $349, and then launching the Elite at $449.

Einhander on