As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX East 2014 Coin Thread (Second Run Orders Open) Updated April 5th

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I wasn't aware of the reference myself, but a quick Google search shows that they're quite adorable and apparently a known part of Boston history, so I wouldn't have any complaints if they ended up on the challenge coin.

Also, gotta say the 7 dice on the 2011 coin are amazing. I've been meaning to go to PAX (particularly the East edition since it'd be a lot closer) for ages, and am pondering possibly 2014 or 2015, depending on a few factors, so I guess now I need to keep an eye out on this forum once in a while.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    cadmiacadmia Registered User regular
    I don't understand the back story of the ducklings either (I will Google it at some point!), but as others have stated, not everyone knows every landmark in their non-native city. I think they are adorbs and we should totally have ducklings on the coin :)

• Options
    KoalaBro2KoalaBro2 Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    Also, gotta say the 7 dice on the 2011 coin are amazing. I've been meaning to go to PAX (particularly the East edition since it'd be a lot closer) for ages, and am pondering possibly 2014 or 2015, depending on a few factors, so I guess now I need to keep an eye out on this forum once in a while.

Yeah, 2011 does have the best design on the gaming side. Part of that is just having an artist working on the project. The gaming side, especially, looks great or mediocre depending largely on whether someone with artistic talent works on the design :)

• Options
    TopherRocksTopherRocks Rockstar Beard Grower Kent, OH or Long Island, NYRegistered User regular
    I can't say I know the Duckling statue but I'm all for it!

• Options
    flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    Ducklings is very possible, we will have to see how it looks on a proof.

We need some ideas for the gaming side though. Surely we have a slightly-bored artist in our midst?

East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
  • Options
    Hyperion098Hyperion098 Registered User regular
    I would love for the pax side of the coin to be like a keyboard a controller and a handheld all connected or something along the theme of We are all gamers it dosnt mater if you play on the pc the consoles handhelds if you are the casual or teh hardcorez 1337s. we are all gamers, Hell I would love for that to be a huge theme at pax all the silly infighting among gamers makes me sad =(

• Options
    Arithon32Arithon32 Member of the Pinquisition Registered User regular
    I like the Ducklings for the Boston side as well.

vru37z14gk5j.png

• Options
    SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    For a manufacturer, I would suggest sticking with Phoenix Challenge Coins. He is by no means perfect, but he has provided us with very nice products & we know his schedule. He also could have made life very difficult when the Prime coins went missing, but he replaced them without any issues.
    I would suggest we always pay for insurance going forward, which we have to specify at the time of ordering.

I would also like to point out we the challenge coin has a wiki page here: http://wiki.paxcommunity.net/paxwiki/Challenge_Coin

SkeleVader on
    IhtGIyi.png
  • Options
    00Fayt0000Fayt00 Registered User regular
    flatline wrote: »
    Ducklings is very possible, we will have to see how it looks on a proof.

We need some ideas for the gaming side though. Surely we have a slightly-bored artist in our midst?

If you mean super overworked Graphic Artist that would probably be able to help out if we are talking Photoshop or more likely Illustrator designs...I could definitely help I'm sure. Haha.

For my help though I'd need concept and at least a sketch as I work about 70 hrs a week and that would be the easiest to work in my schedule(with having those...I don't have time to just come up with concept drawings and such).

Let me know. :)

• Options
    JimmyWildJimmyWild Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    I think the ducks are funny. It would be a unique coin. Still open to other ideas though.

As for game side, i'll thinking out loud. We've been pretty retro game oriented in the East coins. Maybe we should try something current. As pointed out earlier, the new console generation might be a good idea. Of course they're boring designs, so maybe not.

I'd also like to explore crowdsourced games. For me specifically Kickstarter games are big. Just look at Broken Age, Torment, and Star Citizen. If we could somehow create an image to show the collaboration of dev and gamers that might be cool. So yeah, that's not hard at all lol.

Ok, so these are bad ideas. But i took the time to type them, so i'm posting them. Maybe they'll spur some other ideas in someone and it wont be a waste of time lol. :)

• Options
    rascrushrascrush Registered User regular
    how about something from bioshock they devolope the games in boston i believe or the main guy is from there would be a cool throwback to him.

• Options
    flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    rascrush wrote: »
    how about something from bioshock they devolope the games in boston i believe or the main guy is from there would be a cool throwback to him.

I admit that a big daddy would look cool on a coin, but you'd have to ask someone smarter than me if we can actually use a trademarked character like that. Typically we try to stick to generic designs to stay safe (I do know for a fact that we can't use official PAX or Penny Arcade logos).

East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
  • Options
    rascrushrascrush Registered User regular
    ya idk if it is legal or not but i dont see why it wouldnt be but idk. I just think it would look bad ass and go really good with my big daddy tat i just got lol.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I generally would lean towards not using a trademarked character.

• Options
    aBByNormaLaBByNormaL Registered User regular
    you are probably right, if it was on an item where no monies were being exchanged you might be able to get permission to use it (fan art, fair dealing, etc.) but where this is on an item to be purchased they might have an issue with that (unless there was some kind of royalty payment).

PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
  • Options
    SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    I was contacted by Eric with PCC today. He told me he was doing inventory of his coins and found he had 90 of the Pax East 2012 coins from an order that never went through. He wants to know if we want them? If not he is putting them up for sale on his online store.

IhtGIyi.png
  • Options
    I assume that "if we want them" means "pay full price for the lot"?

• Options
    edited October 2013
    zerzhul wrote: »
    I assume that "if we want them" means "pay full price for the lot"?
    I just asked Eric, and he gave me a quote of $3.90 per coin plus $40 handling fee. So $391 for the 90 coins.
    So after shipping and fees it would cost about $5 per coin and $6 for shipping.

Or Eric has them for $15 on his site right now, which includes shipping (He actually quoted me $12 in the E-mail so there is a small chance that would be the price Just confirmed the $15 price).
    It might be worth it to just let people buy from him if they want the coin rather than going through the hassle of seeing who wants the old coin.

As they are East coins I would ask either @KoalaBro2, @flatline, or another community member to take the lead. I am still dealing with the shipment of the prime coins and pins.

SkeleVader on
    IhtGIyi.png
  • Options
    Jake CappsJake Capps Patrick Space Force Base, FloridaRegistered User regular
    nsane wrote: »
    BinaryTB wrote: »
    Just reiterating, the Ducklings are relatively well known as a "Boston thing". . .

I've never heard of it before this thread and it made no sense why something so random would be on the coin. My first assumption was that something happened involving ducklings at an earlier PAX.

I have never heard of it before either. I'm sure there are a lot of things that go in Boston that I don't know about though. Memphis Tennessee has famous ducks as well but I wouldn't call them a "Memphis thing". I will also acknowledge that I don't have a better idea. Are we at least over the Boston Strong logo NOT being on the coin?

X4hAlPn.png

My Pinny Pal's Lanyard

"Players are artists who create their own reality within the game." - Shigeru Miyamoto
  • Options
    AylaviereAylaviere Overlord Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2023
    [Deleted]

Aylaviere on
    East 2015: Hostel/Hotel [✓] Time Off [✓] 3 Day Pass [✓] Pokecrawl [ ]
  • Options
    sirmrejsirmrej Seattle areaRegistered User regular
    Make Way For Ducklings is a very very big known thing for all of Massachusetts. It is definitely a landmark in the city. Trust us :)

I like that suggestion (Ducklings), but I have an alternate suggestion. What about the T? Not everyone takes the subway when they come to PAX East, but I bet a bunch of people do. It's something everyone knows. Sure, other cities have subways too, but I bet there's something we could do that looked Bostonish. (Or maybe this just stems from me missing T tokens. RIP T tokens).

• Options
    KoalaBro2KoalaBro2 Registered User regular
    I would suggest that, especially given the extremely limited quantity, anyone who wants the 2012 coins should just buy directly from Eric off of the Phoenix Challenge Coin website. The direct link is here. As SkeleVader notes, once you factor in shipping, you only save a couple bucks per coin by having one of us take delivery of the lot, and you introduce a lot more work and possibility of errors.

I agree the T is definitely a great Boston thing, but as you say, it's not particularly visually distinctive from other cities' mass transit systems. That sort of a design would likely require someone with artistic talent to come up with a more stylized design of some kind.

• Options
    TripleozeroTripleozero Registered User regular
    Erm, I'm no artist, but are two quick and dirty designs for inspiration.

coin1.png

coin3.png

• Options
    nsanensane That guy with the face. Registered User regular
    Jake Capps wrote: »
    I have never heard of it before either. I'm sure there are a lot of things that go in Boston that I don't know about though. Memphis Tennessee has famous ducks as well but I wouldn't call them a "Memphis thing". I will also acknowledge that I don't have a better idea. Are we at least over the Boston Strong logo NOT being on the coin?

Sorry if I was misunderstood, I didn't mean to imply that I think that they shouldn't be used. To be honest, as long as the design is good, I don't really have much of a preference as to what is on it.

wK2XwhV.png
    PAX East 2018: Passes [X], Hotel [X], Airfare [], coin []
  • Options
    KorvasKorvas Registered User regular
    I'm in! I have all the coins so far and would hate to miss this one! one of my many favorite parts of pax! I love the duck idea. and I feel we need some console or pc love for the backs gaming side.. it seems we got everything else covered so far right?

• Options
    Jake CappsJake Capps Patrick Space Force Base, FloridaRegistered User regular
    nsane wrote: »
    To be honest, as long as the design is good, I don't really have much of a preference as to what is on it.

Agreed.

X4hAlPn.png

My Pinny Pal's Lanyard

"Players are artists who create their own reality within the game." - Shigeru Miyamoto
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Gaming wise, someone mentioned Irrational since it was Boston-based.
    In a related idea, how about plastic instruments or the Guitar Hero/Rock Band note track in honor of Harmonix? Rock Band is a big part of PAX and there's a huge pre-PAX RB night that Harmonix puts on every year.

• Options
    DelaneyDelaney Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Gaming wise, someone mentioned Irrational since it was Boston-based.
    In a related idea, how about plastic instruments or the Guitar Hero/Rock Band note track in honor of Harmonix? Rock Band is a big part of PAX and there's a huge pre-PAX RB night that Harmonix puts on every year.

I don't know what others think, but I tend to shy away from the idea of singling out any one gaming company or title. (Though if it was a popular idea, then I would have to suggest Turbine for LotRO, DDO, AC, etc.) I would like to see PC gaming in general somehow get the nod this year, though. Prime has represented it, but East hasn't yet.

"I will participate in the game. It's a wonderful, wonderful opera, except that it hurts." - Joseph Campbell

Steam: delaney_a

• Options
    KomiKomi Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Just slinging gaming side ideas out here, but what about something in relation to MMO's? The idea of the gaming side representing a genre that's heavily based on the community aspect seems neat to me. Can't say I have any ideas on how to actually turn that into... well, a graphic. We did do a design around the idea of local co-op last year, so this could be an interesting follow up, or it could be an idea for another year. Regardless, it's an idea!

Komi on
    -PAX Prime 2014-
    [x]In awe that my 30 minute badge window prediction was pretty close to accurate.
    [x]Badge (HOLYCRAPIGOTA4DAY!)
    [x]Hotel
    [ ]Airfare
    [ ]Buttoneering Buttons
    [ ]Challenge Coin
  • Options
    KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    PC with an exclamation point over it?

Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

• Options
    vttymvttym Ardent Gamer Northern NJRegistered User regular
    Ducks, Fenway Park, Boston Common and Quincy Market are all good and fairly well known (some more than others) Boston landmarks.

• Options
    KomiKomi Registered User regular
    Khadour wrote: »
    PC with an exclamation point over it?
    Ohhh! A quest marker would be cool, and that'd actually work really well on a round coin.

-PAX Prime 2014-
    [x]In awe that my 30 minute badge window prediction was pretty close to accurate.
    [x]Badge (HOLYCRAPIGOTA4DAY!)
    [x]Hotel
    [ ]Airfare
    [ ]Buttoneering Buttons
    [ ]Challenge Coin
  • Options
    KaladinKaladin Western NYRegistered User regular
    I like the ducks for the Boston side. It's a little quirky, but that's what makes it stand out to me.

As for the gaming side, a computer for the PC gamers would be pretty fair looking at the past designs. I'd probably personally end up voting for somthing a little more old school though, since most of my gaming isn't electronic. How about a board game set up, with a kind of generic Monopoly lay out (square/rectangle board, game pieces around the edge)? Or somthing like a D&D screen set up, with books, pencils and dice in front of it?

• Options
    lauren42lauren42 Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Make Way for Ducklings is pretty darn well known in the Boston area, they're even on postcards! I'd love a card-based game on the other side.

• Options
    eloelo That guy over there... Smoke stack central, NJRegistered User regular
    Make Way for Ducklings would be pretty good on there. I cant think of much else we havent done yet though for Boston.

Too bad that we probably can't use Jerry in the big Fruit Fucker costume he wore on stage last year because of the Kickstarter for DLC for the PAX side. I would assume the FF is PA property.

0j92muX.png
  • Options
    Kaladin wrote: »
    How about a board game set up, with a kind of generic Monopoly lay out (square/rectangle board, game pieces around the edge)? Or somthing like a D&D screen set up, with books, pencils and dice in front of it?

+1 vote to these, or hexagonal tiles that may or may not look like Catan? Or a design that includes a meeple?

• Options
    We actually just did essentially that exact thing, @lauren42, for the prime 2013 coin.

• Options
    zerzhul wrote: »
    We actually just did essentially that exact thing, @lauren42, for the prime 2013 coin.

Whoops, sorry about that. Haven't ever been able to attend PAX Prime. What else has been done for the game side by them?

• Options
    sirmrejsirmrej Seattle areaRegistered User regular
    I wouldn't do the Duck rides - they're in lots of other cities. Make Way For Ducklings is still my favorite.