As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Starbound] Has actually released!

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    Darmak wrote: »
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Kick_04 wrote: »
    Is there anyway to get back into Erchius Horror?

I missed 1 piece of the spacesuit outfit and was hoping to go back in there and snag it. I think it was the pants I missed.

Like, after beating it? No idea.

You should report that as a bug either way, so they can give people a way back in... or put the suit for sale somewhere later on.

You can, there should be a tab or something when talking to your SAIL that will let you replay old missions and boss fights.
    Wait, you can't do that anymore?

I just said you could, in the post you quoted

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Kick_04Kick_04 Registered User regular
    Yeah I went last night and was able to get back into the mission and find the pair of pants I was missing for the whole suit.

I just got the radioactive suit and need to find Solarium.

PSN id - kickyoass1
    PaD id - 346,240,298
    Marvel FF - Lil bill12
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Kick_04 wrote: »
    Is there anyway to get back into Erchius Horror?

I missed 1 piece of the spacesuit outfit and was hoping to go back in there and snag it. I think it was the pants I missed.

Like, after beating it? No idea.

You should report that as a bug either way, so they can give people a way back in... or put the suit for sale somewhere later on.

You can, there should be a tab or something when talking to your SAIL that will let you replay old missions and boss fights.
    Wait, you can't do that anymore?

I just said you could, in the post you quoted
    Oh, whoops, kinda skimmed over the "you can" I guess which made the rest of it sound like you were saying it was a thing you wanted in the game

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    so am i the only one who crashes a LOT on the PA server?

• Options
    NackmatholnNackmatholn Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »

The server is currently on a VPS, which is a virtual server hosted along side other servers. At times this works wonderfully, but other times the other virtual servers on our server blade go crazy (likely bitcoin mining, or something else against TOS) so it causes performance issues across the server blade. We (me and @DiannaoChong ) are open to suggestions for different server options, the main reason we have stuck with this one is the cost to get it out there was really low. I had thought about hosting from home in the past, but now that I work from home, I wouldn't be able to allow my bandwidth to be tied up with a gaming server :(

camo_sig2.png PSN - Nackmatholn
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Speaking from experience of the home server running a minecraft box for us on mediocre hardware, it destroys your bandwidth during primetime to where you can't play or really do anything internet wise. I had to start limiting player count (to like... 4) on my WoW raid nights and I think that pretty much killed the server. Netflix was off the table during these periods too :(

Good VPS/dedicated hosting is like wanting all three but picking 2:
    speed
    quality
    price

Right now we got speed and price, the quality on the reliability side is garbage. But the alternative to the current $40/year VPS is ~$100/month dedicated server. There are cheaper professional starbound hosts, however they get weird whenever you want to tinker like we are going to want to come 1.0. But if someone wants to go that route I wouldnt stand in their way either :D

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    So I need uranium to upgrade my ship. Then I can get more outpost quests.

Uranium is found on radioactive planets. I can't go to radioactive planets without radiation shielding.

Apparently I get radiation shielding from...a later outpost quest. Which I can't get, because I can't upgrade my ship, because I can't go to a radioactive planet without dying.

Am I missing something here?

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    The suit techs aren't tied to ship upgrade sidequests, unless something broke you should have some quests to get you there.

(I know this because my first run through I made it through all the existing 'story' content before realizing ship upgrades were tied to doing sidequests)

:edit: Though I suppose that was still on the first unstable update, it could be they changed it up before going Stable.

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    I did the first set of quests, beat the horror after like eight tries (well, seven, but after I beat it the game crashed and I had to do the whole thing again), then gave the penguin bay guy the diamonds for the license. I'm not getting any more quests aside from Dreadwing and I kinda wanted to get a new gun first before facing him. The best I've got is a cheapo revolver from the mining base.

• Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    I did the first set of quests, beat the horror after like eight tries (well, seven, but after I beat it the game crashed and I had to do the whole thing again), then gave the penguin bay guy the diamonds for the license. I'm not getting any more quests aside from Dreadwing and I kinda wanted to get a new gun first before facing him. The best I've got is a cheapo revolver from the mining base.

Yeah, you have to kill Dreadwing to open up the next set of Outpost quests (and subsequently the Radiation Protection). Don't worry about getting better weapons or anything, Dreadwing's a joke.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    The outpost is crazy hard for where it is in the game. None of the other bosses will give you quite the difficulty spike as that one so don't sweat it too much.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    Dreadwing is down, radiation suit is on, and ship is expanded. Thanks! (And thanks doubly for being way more helpful than the SE++ thread.)

• Options
    AtaxrxesAtaxrxes Hellnation Cursed EarthRegistered User regular
    A couple questions. I got the mission to unlock interstellar travel, but it says I have to equip the suit so I can breathe. Well, nothing I do actually seems to let me equip that suit, I have blank tech cards but I can't seem to do anything with them. However, when I get to the mission, I seem to be breathing just fine? I dunno. Also, how do you designate a structure you build as yours or your home base or whatever? I thought I read something about rebuilding the background tiles but I haven't figured out what manipulates them yet. In Terarria it was the axe but I don't see any of those here?

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    IIRC the suit techs don't need blank tech cards to unlock, you just select one from your tech screen.

As for structure designation, I'm not sure I follow the question, but for manipulating background tiles rightclick with your matter manipulator.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    home planet can be changed in the navigation interface

tech can be equipped via SAIL, there will be a tab for it

Seriously on
  • Options
    Ataxrxes wrote: »
    A couple questions. I got the mission to unlock interstellar travel, but it says I have to equip the suit so I can breathe. Well, nothing I do actually seems to let me equip that suit, I have blank tech cards but I can't seem to do anything with them. However, when I get to the mission, I seem to be breathing just fine? I dunno. Also, how do you designate a structure you build as yours or your home base or whatever? I thought I read something about rebuilding the background tiles but I haven't figured out what manipulates them yet. In Terarria it was the axe but I don't see any of those here?

Home base is a planet you choose from your ship, not a specific building on a planet.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Boy, there... still really isn't an awful lot to do in Starbound is there?

I think I've exhausted most of what's been added in a year in like... a week of not-very-intensive play.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    yeah I'm at the point where, unfortunately, I am doubting if starbound will ever reach its potential

maybe they did that whole early release thing.... too early?

• Options
    They very much did the early release too early. Partly because the internet became aware of them years before they were ready, and partly because they kept making overoptimistic release estimates and finally ended up with one they couldn't just nudge back again.

• Options
    I'm really wondering if the overall theme of the game has kind of hamstrung them a bit. Having a large galaxy of discrete planets leads to a bunch of worlds you go to just to plunder for resources, and the expandable ship means that you have no practical reason to actually build a surface base on a home world.

The randomly-cobbled-together enemies with no personality don't help much either.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    It also doesn't help that to get any appreciable quantity of most of the building materials in this game would require an absurd amount of grinding, further discouraging one from trying to build something.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    korodullin wrote: »
    I'm really wondering if the overall theme of the game has kind of hamstrung them a bit. Having a large galaxy of discrete planets leads to a bunch of worlds you go to just to plunder for resources, and the expandable ship means that you have no practical reason to actually build a surface base on a home world.

The randomly-cobbled-together enemies with no personality don't help much either.

Nor does a single biome planet. Too much looks the same. Even just having some planets turn dramatically different past a certain strata would add variety.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Casual wrote: »

The server is currently on a VPS, which is a virtual server hosted along side other servers. At times this works wonderfully, but other times the other virtual servers on our server blade go crazy (likely bitcoin mining, or something else against TOS) so it causes performance issues across the server blade. We (me and DiannaoChong ) are open to suggestions for different server options, the main reason we have stuck with this one is the cost to get it out there was really low. I had thought about hosting from home in the past, but now that I work from home, I wouldn't be able to allow my bandwidth to be tied up with a gaming server :(

ah that sucks, i was worried it was an issue on my side

one more reason to hate bitcoins though

• Options
    well i think i've reached the end again

i have a tier 8 ship and all the fancy stuff but nothing really to do with any of it

i like the stuff they've added but i'm looking forward to real endgame content

• Options
    Where do I find wild bananas? I've searched forest, jungle, and the tiny floating islands of oceans looking for bananas so I can get seeds so I can have my own grove and complete all those recipes, but I haven't found them anywhere. The only ones I've come across were hideously expensive fruit (no seeds) for sale in one Apex city.

• Options
    Where do I find wild bananas? I've searched forest, jungle, and the tiny floating islands of oceans looking for bananas so I can get seeds so I can have my own grove and complete all those recipes, but I haven't found them anywhere. The only ones I've come across were hideously expensive fruit (no seeds) for sale in one Apex city.

On islands in ocean worlds

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options

On islands in ocean worlds
    (you have to cut down the trees)

• Options
    Bananas! I explored a few ocean planets without luck, but one more thanks to your suggestion and I found bananas!

(Also cutting down trees there is how you get coconuts - I already figured that one out, but thanks.)

• Options
    The coconut quest is the only one I have available now. Guess I need to do that one to unlock more quests.

PSN id - kickyoass1
    PaD id - 346,240,298
    Marvel FF - Lil bill12
  • Options
    Whoa what. If you make another single-player character, you pop into the same universe and starter planet as all your first character? That's both kind of neat and really kind of shitty. Is there some way around that if you want to start fresh?

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Should be able to delete the world file for that specific world.

I am not in front of my computer atm to double check, that is the way it was in the past. Each world had its own seperate file after you visited it once.

Kick_04 on
    PSN id - kickyoass1
    PaD id - 346,240,298
    Marvel FF - Lil bill12
  • Options
    So...with the new build, did they remove tentacle planets? I kinda wanted to go to one and trash it in revenge for Earth, even though I'm playing an Avian.

• Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    I think so yeah

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    They're definitely coming back at some point. Someone was commenting on the subreddit that they liked one of the new biomes, and a dev replied "Wait until you see what we've turned tentacle planets into :)"

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    "Most beds allow players to sleep more comfortably, without armor "

What game do they think they are making now? We have to spend time in order to get a time saver with healing. what?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NackmatholnNackmatholn Registered User regular

What game do they think they are making now? We have to spend time in order to get a time saver with healing. what?

The dev's want you naked @DiannaoChong

camo_sig2.png PSN - Nackmatholn
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular

I think I have an idea of where Dean "Rocket" Hall from DayZ ended up. :razz:

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options

I think they mean when you sleep in a bed it will display you without your armor on.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Armored beds are uncomfortable.

• Options
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    They're definitely coming back at some point. Someone was commenting on the subreddit that they liked one of the new biomes, and a dev replied "Wait until you see what we've turned tentacle planets into :)"

Doesn't help me now though. Welp.

Anyway, is the server still up, and would I be able to trade stuff from my single-player game with people on the server and vice-versa, or is it like Minecraft where there are separate SP and MP games? I need boneboo seeds (and crystal seeds if they still exist - there seems to be debate on that) in order to complete my crop collection, and I don't want to dig around on random desert planets until I somehow come across tar with plants.