Options

The [Final Fantasy] Thread: FF XV on Siesta, Partake in the Fiesta.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Didn't Enix purchase Square?

• Options
    bssbss Brostoyevsky Madison, WIRegistered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »

Financially, yes, but it's a weird situation because in the end, Wada became president of Square Enix and I want to say some overwhelming number of SE's staff were Square employees, immediately following the merger.

3DS: 2466-2307-8384 PSN: bssteph Steam: bsstephan Twitch: bsstephan
    Tabletop:13th Age (mm-mmm), D&D 4e
    Occasional words about games: my site
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    I'll buck the trend and say I'm pretty fucking excited about Type-0 on PS4. I've already got the system, and based on the maybe 30 minutes I played of the PSP version, the game itself seems awesome and dark and exactly like the kind of thing I'll be eager to dig into on a real console.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    There is no way any game will live up to the huge dev cycle we've seen for both Type-0 and XV.

And for Type-0, I've played it for over 100 hours (in English!) so I can comfortably say: Temper your expectations.

It's good, but it's not the end-all-be-all of PSP games, and the PS4 version shouldn't be much different. It does not "save" Final Fantasy or anything like that. It's also WAY MORE focused on action than anything else, including plot, character development, and so on.

It has some bizarre gameplay systems too. I'd even say that if it didn't have the FF name, nobody would say, "Hey isn't this kind of like a Final Fantasy game?"

So expect something very different than what you're used to from FF.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Really...I'm not even hyping myself up that much.

I just want a "complete" FF. Its hard to explain but like while I enjoyed FF13 and 13-2(didn't play 13-3) they both felt lacking in some areas. So, it was kind of like I enjoyed them in spite of their flaws.

And I just think it'd be nice to get back to having a "full" feeling game again.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    There is no way any game will live up to the huge dev cycle we've seen for both Type-0 and XV.

And for Type-0, I've played it for over 100 hours (in English!) so I can comfortably say: Temper your expectations.

It's good, but it's not the end-all-be-all of PSP games, and the PS4 version shouldn't be much different. It does not "save" Final Fantasy or anything like that. It's also WAY MORE focused on action than anything else, including plot, character development, and so on.

It has some bizarre gameplay systems too. I'd even say that if it didn't have the FF name, nobody would say, "Hey isn't this kind of like a Final Fantasy game?"

So expect something very different than what you're used to from FF.

The Ps4 Version will almost certainly have better controls (3D action with one analog stick is never a great recipe) and a firmer framerate (I'm just gonna guess this is an issue with the PSP version). There's also the chance they'll do "International version" type upgrades for the game with new bosses and updated character growth paths (just speculation, haven't heard one way or the other).

• Options
    Aside from difficulty modes because many people though the PSP game was too hard, there are no gameplay additions.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    So....

(singular clap)

Final Fantasy XV.

Think it'll show at TGS?

• Options
    hahahaha.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    bss wrote: »
    Aside from difficulty modes because many people though the PSP game was too hard, there are no gameplay additions.

They've announced this? Or is it out already in Japan?

• Options

They've announced this? Or is it out already in Japan?

It's from the Kotaku article on the previous page where Jason Schreier talked to Hajime Tabata from SE.
    7) Are they adding any new content that wasn't in the PSP version?

Nope. No new story or challenge modes or anything like that. The three main differences are A) high-definition graphics; B) new controls for traditional controllers; and C) difficulty modes, because a lot of Japanese fans told Square Enix that Type-0 was just too hard.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I want a new final fantasy legends game.

Yes, I know they were actually SaGa games. Don't care.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

As long as they wouldn't bring back the breaking weapons, I'm right there with you.

• Options

As long as they wouldn't bring back the breaking weapons, I'm right there with you.

Oh man, I loved getting the unbreakable sword in the first one. Even if it was only temporary. I'd use that time to power up a monster.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular

I want more SaGa games.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    With all due respect to others' hype, seeing another reel of FFXV is the least exciting thing that could happen at SCEJA. Just release the damn game already.

• Options
    A lengthy trailer that actually showed new areas and characters would be quite welcome.

An extended play session with someone sitting down with a controller for 30 minutes would be even better.

A motherfucking release date would be like water in the desert.

• Options
    A lengthy trailer that actually showed new areas and characters would be quite welcome.

An extended play session with someone sitting down with a controller for 30 minutes would be even better.

A motherfucking release date would be like water in the desert.

In that you're almost certainly not going to find it?

• Options
    The water in the desert part is pretty much the thing. Right now anything else is just like a mirage. We've been told countless times that it's still being worked on and it's coming eventually. We've even been told to please be excited for the next time where we'll be told that it's still being worked on and it's coming. It's to the point that unless they have something concrete like a release date, please just stop wasting conference time; we know, it's coming eventually.

I relate it to how Sony has been smart enough not to waste conference time with DriveClub (recently, anyway) or The Last Guardian --- until they have real news, they don't need to do "yup, still a thing" to death.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    There have also been rumors that FFXV is at a state where the team has started work on a new console game to follow it.

it all sounds farfetched, but...

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    So that one will come out in 2021, then?

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    So that one will come out in 2021, then?

He said "to follow" XV, so why would it come out first?

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Seeing that Dragon Quest Heroes title makes it rather obvious we'll one day see a Final Fantasy Musou next.

Musou games tend to be made rather quickly, but having Final Fantasy in the title would probably delay it a few extra years.

So, that would theoretically also come out before FFXV.

• Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited September 2014

Yes. They called it a merger to save face, but Enix was in far better financial shape and Square's stock was absorbed by Enix outright. And then they screwed the pooch and let Wada take over and run the company into the ground (again).

Dragon Quest Heroes is a goddamned travesty, but hopefully this means we won't be seeing DQ11 PS4, since if they had DQ11 PS4 to show, they likely would have. No FF15 / KH3 was a bit of a pisser, but I think SE has their own show coming up?

KiTA on
  • Options
    KiTA wrote: »
    Dragon Quest Heroes is a goddamned travesty

It actually looks quite rad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvVo-TBFsos

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    FFXV is dead guys. It's never coming out.

• Options
    In my opinion all musou is a travesty but to each their own. Personally my "oh shit this is DQ" hype deflated immediately when I saw the crowds. Anyway I called the No FFXV so I feel vindicated or something.

• Options
    At least Dragon Quest Musou should sell well in Japan.

• Options

Doesn't SE have their own TGS show coming up?

• Options

Fair enough. It could show in two weeks.

I'm just setting my expectations at rock bottom.

• Options

Fair enough. It could show in two weeks.

I'm just setting my expectations at rock bottom.

It's Square Enix. If your expectations are at rock bottom, you still have a ways to go.

I expect them to accidentally light their own stage on fire at their event, and announce the bold new game that they think everyone wants is going to be Lightning's Dance Explosion, where you earn Fashion Materia through rhythm game playing. The last boss is Lightning singing the entire FF6 Opera while you try not to gouge out your own ears with a spoon.

• Options
    I expect them to accidentally light their own stage on fire at their event, and announce the bold new game that they think everyone wants is going to be Lightning's Dance Explosion, where you earn Fashion Materia through rhythm game playing. The last boss is Lightning singing the entire FF6 Opera while you try not to gouge out your own ears with a spoon.

I... I'd rather have that than FFXV...

• Options

Yes. They called it a merger to save face, but Enix was in far better financial shape and Square's stock was absorbed by Enix outright. And then they screwed the pooch and let Wada take over and run the company into the ground (again).

Enix was in better financial shape but owned pretty much nothing of worth. They were decently successful as a publisher in Japan but had 0 presence anywhere else and didn't really own any IPs worth a damn so their growth was stalled.

Hell at this point it was still a huge mistake though. SE is barely worth more now then it was as a standalone entity of Square back in the day.

Oh hey but FFXV

Lulzy? Or just sad. You decide!

I can see this. It is funny.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Is the Android version of ffiv that is based on the 3ds remake worth buying? Or should I go after it on the psn for the vita? I know the ffv Android version is supposed to be good.

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    I personally greatly prefer the GBA/PSP version (the PSP version has the..."bonus" of having After Years as well), but other people swear by the DS version so I guess you can't really go wrong.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    FFIV is on basically every platform known to man and not a single one of the available options are particularly bad*. 100% preference.

The US GBA version is actually a bit buggy, particularly in how the ATB system is implemented.
    The Android/iOS versions (obviously) have touchscreen controls, which might bother you.
    The SNES/Virtual Console version has... well, not a great translation and is extremely easy.
    The PSX version is actually pretty okay, mostly because unlike Chrono Trigger and FFVI PSX the entire game can fit into RAM so it doesn't have any major loading times.
    The PSP version has graphical "enhancements" that are similar to, but not quite as sloppy as the changes that were done to the other "remastered" 2D Final Fantasy games. It also is the only version of the game that has every possible bit of bonus content that's been offered for FFIV except the DS system changes. Unfortunately, they are not very good so this isn't a huge selling point.
    The DS version (and the tablet versions, which are based on this) is a pretty radical re-imagining of a lot of the game's systems, which if you want to go on a nostalgia trip might not provide what you're looking for.
    I don't have any experience with the WonderSwan Color version of the game, but as I understand it is similar to the GBA version.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular

Enix was in better financial shape but owned pretty much nothing of worth. They were decently successful as a publisher in Japan but had 0 presence anywhere else and didn't really own any IPs worth a damn so their growth was stalled.

Hell at this point it was still a huge mistake though. SE is barely worth more now then it was as a standalone entity of Square back in the day.

Oh hey but FFXV

Lulzy? Or just sad. You decide!

I can see this. It is funny.

Not that I kept up to date one the goings on of video game companies back in the 90's, but wasn't Enix just a publisher? Square on the other hand being a dev house that self published?

Not that I am arguing with anything you said, as I do agree with you. I just want to make sure I'm not crazy and remembering Enix wrong.

Also, in the wiki for Square was this nugget:
    In an interview with GIA.com in 2001, when asked "Are you ever worried that Square will become too heavily dependent on the Final Fantasy name?" Hironobu Sakaguchi responded that "Avoiding that has actually been one of Square's goals for a long time. It is our aim to try and develop a few more major franchises for the company; that has always been on our minds."

Hm, that goal didn't live too long, eh? :P

At this point I don't even care about XV, just give me a new (real) Front Mission game S-E!

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    http://thegia.com/archive/features/f011004.html

Here's that full interview. It becomes a bit clearer in context:
    GIA: While Final Fantasy recently had both a movie and multiple new games, other popular Square series such as Parasite Eve and Seiken Densetsu have been quiet. When can we expect to hear from them?

HS: There are certainly possibilities there. There is especially a possibility of turning Parasite Eve into a feature film. It could be on the horizon.

GIA: Are you ever worried that Square will become too heavily dependent on the Final Fantasy name?

HS: Avoiding that has actually been one of Square's goals for a long time. It is our aim to try and develop a few more major franchises for the company; that has always been on our minds.

But I do think we have variety. We have other titles that have sold a million copies or more, like Parasite Eve. Those are quite a success on their own, but Final Fantasy just gets all the publicity because of the sheer scale of it and all the copies it sells.

GIA: At E3 2001, Square said that Kingdom Hearts had the potential to be a bigger franchise than even Final Fantasy. What other plans are there for such a high-profile partnership with Disney?

HS: We definitely see further things, there is a possibility of that going into our next major project, PlayOnline. We have been exploring working with a number of partners and content delivering services. For instance, on PlayOnline, we have a significant deal with Japan's largest magazine publisher [Shueisha, publishers of Weekly Jump].

Obviously the PE movie idea died once they realized just what a huge waste of money making movies was (the interview was after TSW went to theaters, but before the DVD release), but they seemed to have some ideas of what they wanted to do to bolster their offerings. Just didn't work out, and so the Enix "merger".

• Options
    Well thats why the merger was even more goofy. They only went through with it after FFX and KH were successful and Square was on basically the road to recovery.

It was like.. Derp?

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.