As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fallen London] et al.: Sunless Skies is out!

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: Β»
    I got a will and a townhouse, which I think is what keeps the chart and all my stash, right?

The will lets you keep heirlooms and the house. You save the chart by unclicking "Rival" and re-clicking on "Correspondent" on the new captain page... but you should never do that, because Correspondent is terrible... if you save your chart, it prevents you from getting all that landmark discovery Fragments on your new captain. Basically you critically nerf your own XP gains.

I usually take Rival because there's a very important gun that you can otherwise only make once per game that you can pass along, but if I have Scion and can take two Legacy backgrounds, I go for the Veils or Mirrors ones to pass on half my cash as well.

Correspondent is a good choice if you want to create a captain for trade to build up heirlooms. You see all the ports and can begin making money right away. My merchant captain wasn't very skilled, but he made a huge fortune then died trying to sail up a blood-red river on the Elder Continent.

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Fallen London:

I keep getting stuck / lost on what to do at high levels. I'm not good enough in any one stat to get the secondary effect of being Important (I'm going for either Extraordinary Mind or Legendary Charisma), I don't think there's actually any "story" in Wilmot's End, I forget where I'm at in Jack the Knife investigation... I just feel kinda stuck. Most everything else I'm doing seems to be tied to rare card draws.

Any suggestions / ideas? I've been at Zee for a while too. No clue how to get to the Iron Republic. I'm at the end of my Ambition (Heart's Desire).

*e* Also, ironically, I actually NEED Nightmares for a thing, but I'm having TROUBLE GETTING THEM. Arrrgh.

Lucid_Seraph on
    See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I got a will and a townhouse, which I think is what keeps the chart and all my stash, right?

The will lets you keep heirlooms and the house. You save the chart by unclicking "Rival" and re-clicking on "Correspondent" on the new captain page... but you should never do that, because Correspondent is terrible... if you save your chart, it prevents you from getting all that landmark discovery Fragments on your new captain. Basically you critically nerf your own XP gains.

I usually take Rival because there's a very important gun that you can otherwise only make once per game that you can pass along, but if I have Scion and can take two Legacy backgrounds, I go for the Veils or Mirrors ones to pass on half my cash as well.

Correspondent is a good choice if you want to create a captain for trade to build up heirlooms. You see all the ports and can begin making money right away. My merchant captain wasn't very skilled, but he made a huge fortune then died trying to sail up a blood-red river on the Elder Continent.

The problem with this is that trading is garbage money

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: Β»

The problem with this is that trading is garbage money

Well...
    The main benefit of the map is that you can get a lot out of trading and early quests like the Sphinx Stones and the Blind Bruiser runs if you are able to directly bee-line for destinations without wasting fuel and supplies exploring. Mix that up with port reports, the Last Tour, coffee runs, etc., and you'll find the money builds up at a nice clip by just playing the game. And while its been nerfed, the mirror boxes are still a good option once you've got a mansion to sleep off the wounds.

Where the Correspondent legacy starts to hurt is the endgame, where skill checks get increasingly important. You should be able to get the mansion, will and a full suite of heirlooms before that crunch kicks in, and when it does its time for your captain to put the anarchists or Dawn Machine into ascendance/haul supplies to the Empire of Hands in order to get one of the permanent legacy bonuses that cripple port reports. Then its just a matter of sailing off the maps, hunting Mt. Nomad or pursuing some other suicidal venture before the lack of port report income starts to cut into your fortune.

So long as you die, win, "win" or retire before you need to dip back into the heirloom stash, you'll have put the future legacies in good shape to get to one of the endgames.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    I will concede that there are reasons to take Correspondent, but, unless I have Scion and a LOT of Pages, I will never do it. There's just too much good to be had in keeping the MM between runs.

I will say that I hate starting fresh sometimes because Pages are so hard to come by.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Oh, suuuure, Fallen london. sure. Now that I actually have the items for the brass embassy guest key, you won't give me the card. Thanks.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    I put some serious time into Sunless Sea this weekend after the last patch killed the stuttering bug. Upgraded from the Corvette to the Frigate and holy hell did my food and fuel use jump up. I made the Serpentine engine and got a Milebreaker which helped tame the fuel and feels like it may have improved supply use by just adding enough speed over the 1500 power engine.

I finally found Varchas which I wish I did a while back as they pay much better for some quest reward items that were of little use to me. And now it seems like every other questline wants either a Judgment Egg or Lorn-Fluke core. I took down one Lorn-Fluke very easily but their limited numbers on the map is going to mean multiple trips to zee to get enough.

Money is starting go come in more slowly due to increased fuel and food costs and finishing up some quest lines that doled out lots of rewards. Lifebergs turned out to be disappointing in the reward category so I'm hoping other things I can hunt are more profitable. This captain has the retire in wealth ambition so the money is actually important still.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    I don't understand how you gain the first point of notability. I've been a POSI for 3 weeks but still no visit, and you can't generate the card intentionally without already being notable.

I assume I'm correct in thinking the 'unfinished business' lines in the four starting areas are to generate base level items to upcycle into getting the stuff from the side-streets? Like, right now I'm just hoarding beeswax from unfinished business in ladybones so I can turn them into memories of light and get a whirring contraption for my ship.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    You'll draw the card to get notability eventually. You can spend fate in your lodgings to draw the card if you need it right now.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    In Fallen London, do stats take longer to raise based on how high other stats are? Seems like my Shadowy and Dangerous of ~30 are taking forever to raise. Like, I can spend all 40 actions and get maybe 1.5 points in one. Just wondering if that's because of my modified persuasive of 151.

Aistan on
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I put some serious time into Sunless Sea this weekend after the last patch killed the stuttering bug. Upgraded from the Corvette to the Frigate and holy hell did my food and fuel use jump up. I made the Serpentine engine and got a Milebreaker which helped tame the fuel and feels like it may have improved supply use by just adding enough speed over the 1500 power engine.

I finally found Varchas which I wish I did a while back as they pay much better for some quest reward items that were of little use to me. And now it seems like every other questline wants either a Judgment Egg or Lorn-Fluke core. I took down one Lorn-Fluke very easily but their limited numbers on the map is going to mean multiple trips to zee to get enough.

Money is starting go come in more slowly due to increased fuel and food costs and finishing up some quest lines that doled out lots of rewards. Lifebergs turned out to be disappointing in the reward category so I'm hoping other things I can hunt are more profitable. This captain has the retire in wealth ambition so the money is actually important still.

Lifebergs are probably the most profitable things to hunt that aren't super nasty with guaranteed damage from AoE or rear guns or whatnot. I've gotten up to 3 artifacts and some other stuff in one kill, and making your Mirrors check can essentially result in a full resupply.

If you haven't done it much yet, with the Frigate you can make a literal boatload of cash from a surface run. Just pack your hold with mirrorcatch boxes and cheap coffee from Port Carnalian. Just be aware that sunrunning results in a new Menace that can be nasty if it gets over 100.

Dracomicron on
  • Options

Lifebergs are probably the most profitable things to hunt that aren't super nasty with guaranteed damage from AoE or rear guns or whatnot. I've gotten up to 3 artifacts and some other stuff in one kill, and making your Mirrors check can essentially result in a full resupply.

If you haven't done it much yet, with the Frigate you can make a literal boatload of cash from a surface run. Just pack your hold with mirrorcatch boxes and cheap coffee from Port Carnalian. Just be aware that sunrunning results in a new Menace that can be nasty if it gets over 100.

Lifebergs have generally been much more painful to fight than the enemies that do have a ranged attack. They seem to have a knack of turning at a bad time when I'm lining up everything and forcing me to fight earlier than I intended to after which keeping a forward gun trained on them means getting rammed a few times. Nothing the frigate can't handle but not something to do repeatedly in one trip.

This captain has mostly been in the northern 2/3 of the zee due to how the map laid itself out. I only just got around to Port Carnelian the other day and still am unlikely to make returns visits there for a bit. The bottom half of the map largely got skipped over in terms of islands you want to repeatedly visit early and often.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Lifebergs have generally been much more painful to fight than the enemies that do have a ranged attack. They seem to have a knack of turning at a bad time when I'm lining up everything and forcing me to fight earlier than I intended to after which keeping a forward gun trained on them means getting rammed a few times. Nothing the frigate can't handle but not something to do repeatedly in one trip.

You can kill Lifebergs without getting hit at all. Sneak up on one, get a target lock at maximum range. Get that shot off, turn on your light, and hit reverse. The 'berg will chase you, but, with a Serpentine or similarly powerful engine in your boat, should not be able to catch you while you grind it up with your deck and forward guns. It may turn around and leave your range, but you should have time to switch gears and keep up the attack.

This actually works on most zee beasts. Not Blue Prophets, though, and Lorn Flukes can be serious trouble if you're under half hull.

• Options

You can kill Lifebergs without getting hit at all. Sneak up on one, get a target lock at maximum range. Get that shot off, turn on your light, and hit reverse. The 'berg will chase you, but, with a Serpentine or similarly powerful engine in your boat, should not be able to catch you while you grind it up with your deck and forward guns. It may turn around and leave your range, but you should have time to switch gears and keep up the attack.

This actually works on most zee beasts. Not Blue Prophets, though, and Lorn Flukes can be serious trouble if you're under half hull.

That is my normal approach to zee beasts but Lifebergs were able to catch up to a Frigate with a Serpentine in reverse at least with no other +engine power upgrades. Lorn Flukes and Albino Morays cannot and Bound Sharks usually have trouble getting more than one charge to connect before dying but Lifebergs were definitely catching up. Range may play a factor though as Lifebergs were often dashing closer than I wanted when I was starting the fight.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Aistan wrote: Β»
    In Fallen London, do stats take longer to raise based on how high other stats are? Seems like my Shadowy and Dangerous of ~30 are taking forever to raise. Like, I can spend all 40 actions and get maybe 1.5 points in one. Just wondering if that's because of my modified persuasive of 151.

The way levels of anything work are by Change Points. Up until level 50 for everything but skills, and level 70 for skills, you need a number of Change Points equal to the level you are going to in order to advance; e.g. it takes 4 change points to go from level 3 to 4, or 45 to go from 44 to 45.

So no, your shadowy and dangerous should advance reasonably quickly, since they take less than half the change points of your higher end skills. However, how many change points you get is dependent on what difficulty challenges you are facing, and you can get large windfalls of change points from early "storylines" for each stat, along with your profession.

So, in order to level them more quickly:

Do Chancy challenges at 60% success, or Low-Risk challenges at 90% success. Low-risk gives you a better amount of money and less menace (though at 30 difficulty, you may not get menace from failures) and chancy gets you a good windfall of Change Points.

Change your profession to the dangerous or shadowy one.

Look out for rare, early game opportunity cards that massively boost your stats; I know I saw them, but I honestly can't remember what they are.

Don't just do random things; complete the storylines in Spite and Watchmaker's hill. Non-repeatable storylines usually give a large windfall of stats.

Also, I suppose it's late with your massive persuasive stat, but for others: it helps to keep all your stats pretty on-pace with each other, at least until like 80+ in all stats, because it lets you become a POSI and it gives you far more variety in what specific items you can earn, which is useful because getting even like a 55% value payout on the item you want is more efficient than a 100% value payout on a random item you sell.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options

That is my normal approach to zee beasts but Lifebergs were able to catch up to a Frigate with a Serpentine in reverse at least with no other +engine power upgrades. Lorn Flukes and Albino Morays cannot and Bound Sharks usually have trouble getting more than one charge to connect before dying but Lifebergs were definitely catching up. Range may play a factor though as Lifebergs were often dashing closer than I wanted when I was starting the fight.

Hmm, been awhile since I had a frigate and I know they buffed beast attacks recently, but my corvette, with the starter engine, kills lifebergs without risk.

I think that positioning is key in these fights. If I can't take that first shot from absolute maximum range, I bug out and re-position.

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Shadowy and Dangerous are my main lagging stats as well and it felt like I wasn't seeing as many storylines. I wonder if my opportunity cards are glutted with other possibilities. I'd see the note that a living story will begin soon a number of times, and then it seemed like nothing ever came of it. But hitting 60 in them now seems to have opened up a decent number of new avenues to work on.

akajaybay on
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Check your messages tab? Generally that's where those show up, though I think some things might have been reworked from that system.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Also the game is punishing me for my early game Veilgarden whoring around by giving me the City Vices opportunity cards constantly.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Also the game is punishing me for my early game Veilgarden whoring around by giving me the City Vices opportunity cards constantly.

When you get myrrh soaked roses you'll be very glad you met up with one of them. I have three extra life tokens.

Also those living stories seem to take a week or more to start. Seems like 140 or more change points though so worth the wait.

Not used to rare cards being horrible. Thanks well!

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Arrrgh. I actually NEED Nightmares right now. I even managed to fuck up and click the wrong option in the Carnival last night so I'm going to lose ALL OF THEM.

But I need Nightmares 5! And my Watchful is so high that the toughest challenge I can find WITH A TALKATIVE RAT is at Modest. FJdlasjfdkjf.

*e* I need Nightmares 5 so I can catch a Somnolent Hyena and breed a Corresponding Ocelot, which is one of the very few late game sources of Scholar of the Correspondence. Also, he's an ocelot that writes letters to the editor, why wouldn't you want that?

I lost my first one by breeding T H E O W L. Worth it, because Owl (+5 to all stats and I think +2 Dreaded and Bizarre!)

Lucid_Seraph on
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Arrrgh. I actually NEED Nightmares right now. I even managed to fuck up and click the wrong option in the Carnival last night so I'm going to lose ALL OF THEM.

But I need Nightmares 5! And my Watchful is so high that the toughest challenge I can find WITH A TALKATIVE RAT is at Modest. FJdlasjfdkjf.

*e* I need Nightmares 5 so I can catch a Somnolent Hyena and breed a Corresponding Ocelot, which is one of the very few late game sources of Scholar of the Correspondence. Also, he's an ocelot that writes letters to the editor, why wouldn't you want that?

I lost my first one by breeding T H E O W L. Worth it, because Owl (+5 to all stats and I think +2 Dreaded and Bizarre!)

I'll send you some of mine.

Edit: let me know when you are back.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam

• Options
    After limping from Adam's Way to London with 1 crew and 1 hull on a frigate in Sunless Sea, I am going to suggest that one should not sail off the southern edge of the map on a whim.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    After limping from Adam's Way to London with 1 crew and 1 hull on a frigate in Sunless Sea, I am going to suggest that one should not sail off the southern edge of the map on a whim.

Sailing off any of the map edges is not an advisable action unless you intend to do it for a quest. Zailing past the Dawn Machine would've been pretty much instantly fatal for me, had I not
    prepared the Genial Magician's show to reduce my Terror from 100 down to 75.

Adam's Way is a nasty one, too, and probably the most likely to kill you outright. I did the related quest. Wasn't really worth it.

• Options
    I'm not going to change my profession, I worked hard to get where I am. I'll just suck it up and keep grinding away with this glim dealer, at least it's giving a reward that I had been lacking in. Thanks.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    38thDoe wrote: Β»

I'll send you some of mine.

Edit: let me know when you are back.

I am back now!

*e* Actually yeah. DEAR EVERYONE: DO YOU HAVE NIGHTMARES? GIVE THEM TO lucid_seraph. GIVE ALL OF THEM TO ME. ALLLLL OF THEM. I NEED THEM. Use the social action in your lodgings.

Lucid_Seraph on
  • Options
    man I blew the persuasive check to get paid by Mr. Wines. well I'm glad I gave him all of my wine honey secrets and everything else good times

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    The Decidedly Incautious Approach to Understanding the Correspondence gives me nightmares even when I succeed at it.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    daveNYC wrote: Β»
    The Decidedly Incautious Approach to Understanding the Correspondence gives me nightmares even when I succeed at it.

I don't have that option anymore because I'm too damn Watchful.

• Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    Argh, I fell into Sunless Sea's Correspondent trap with my latest Captain. He inherited townhouse and enough heirlooms/cash to get right into a corvette, and has been able to hammer out missions that normally take a while to complete - but the majority of the map is explored , so getting his skills up to Worth A Damn is going to be agonizing/impossible.

So I think my best bet is to get a Scion and make some quick cash (maybe a couple of heirlooms; I can’t remember how many secrets they require), then die and make better legacy choices next time.

Also, got a giggle last night when I was fighting a Particularly Anguished Bound Shark, and the β€œA Tryst …” box popped up. β€œNow?” I thought. "Like, right now?" Then it disappeared just as the Shark died. I was like, β€œAre you serious? I was a little busy!”

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    Finally had a captain retire in Sunless Sea. It was a wealth game so not the most involved but he retired with over 40k echoes, Iron as high as it can go, and Veils at around 145. His scion is getting a pretty hefty starting bonus from all that.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Well hey, pouring all that Glim into the Keen Eyed Lapidary paid off with a +4 Persuasion weapon

• Options
    Boy it sure would be nice if these City Vices cards stopped showing up all the freaking time. A persuasive 30 card that leads to nothing is of no use to me anymore.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    All of the city vices cards are useful later on I think. They let you raise connections/making waves which is very important by the time you are a POSI. Actually there's pretty much never a bad time to be raising connections, especially society/bohemian. You'll need a lot of it eventually.

I finally got the damn visit from slowcakes so I have some notability at last, too bad I need another point for a profession upgrade.

Also the requirements for my yacht are just... Holy shit.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Specifically "a Plea from an Old Friend" and "an Entanglement with an Old Friend", which don't give anything except quirks and stats.

• Options
    Contemplating going for the tomb of the seven. Have 42 supplies, that sound reasonable?

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    Contemplating going for the tomb of the seven. Have 42 supplies, that sound reasonable?

It needs 30, right? That should be fine. I think I managed it with a similar amount.

• Options
    Sunless Sea

I just finished the Kingdom ending with a frigate, mansion, scion, 17 heirlooms, and 15K echoes (would've had 19K, but I got unlucky and had to re-buy some stuff for the final skill check). All from scratch since my last run wiped everything out.

Kindom ending is... thematically cool, but kinda dumb in implementation.
    You need a Dread Surmise to even start the quest chain, and that's one of those things you generally pick up at the endgame because the easiest way to get it cuts off some opportunities. I also went UN THE SUN THE SUN THE S to get the gear for the Kingdom, so I couldn't turn in my port reports anymore.

The Kingdom math works like this: You need 100 Kingdom points in order to set up your fancy pad at Aestival. Some turn-ins are worth 2-3 points (Example: 10 bags of coffee = 2 points, Captivating Treasure = 3 points), but you can only do them 5 times each. 10 units of Supplies are only worth 1 point, but you can endlessly repeat the turn-in.

You also choose one of your officers to be your viceroy. I almost panicked when the Disillusioned Doctor was my only choice (the Genial Magician hadn't upgraded yet, and the Brisk Campaigner had pretty much keeled over immediately, presumably because I only found her late-game). Fuck the Disillusioned Doctor, I remembered how to upgrade the Magician and used him. Anyway, the Magician was worth 8 points.

No matter what you do, you end up grinding Supplies, and you don't even get the treats you get from the Zeppelin turn-ins. The only reason I managed to get through it in a reasonable timeframe is because I stumbled upon the lifeberg mating grounds behind Frostfound. I don't know if it was a glitch or what, but every time I killed a Lifeberg in that area, 2 more would show up like some sort of frozen HYDRA, until I had 8+ of the fuckers just floating around grinding against each other. They were easy pickings, because my Veils was high enough that I could shoot and draw off one and the pack wouldn't follow. Sometimes one would be trying to get at me but one of his family members, who didn't see me, was in the way.

I must have ground several hundred Supplies and dozens of Artefacts out of these guys before the weird multi-spawning just stopped. Sucked because I still had maybe 20 points to go and had to round up those supplies the expensive way.

I think I'm done with SS, at least until the zubmarine expansion comes out. When it does, I'll be pretty well set to get right into that content with 7500 Legacy echoes and 17 heirlooms on my new captain.

• Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular

Yeah, I just did it with 37.

The main trick is that I had the Follow the Sign or whatever event trigger three times, and that gives you like 4-5 progress without consuming supplies or apparently giving rival's a chance to search. Combine that with running interference on them a bit (I think Virginia might be a little more interested in me than the Correspondence Stones) and you should be good.

User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    Is there any easy way to lower Suspicion? I could swear there was an option to give rats to orphans but I can't find it, or anything else, anywhere.

This discussion has been closed.