Options

Mario Kart 8: Animal Crossing DLC April 23rd, with 200cc coming for free!

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    PA G&T SundayDrivers Tournament -- Week 16

START YOUR ENGINES! Week 16 races begin SUNDAY September 21st from 6 PM to 8 PM CST (7 PM to 9 PM Eastern, 4 PM to 6 PM Pacific). Come get your race on against fellow Penny-Arcaders!

Based on this week's poll results, here are the race settings:

zlCfzSdqjj8brSDUGb

To join the tournament, simply use Search by Code on the Mario Kart 8 tournament menu, and enter the code 6987-9166-8350. You will only need to do this once -- the tournament will be saved in your favorites after you first join it. Once you have joined, you will also have access to this tournament's own Miiverse community.

Points are accumulated based on race performances during tournament hours. Everyone is capped at a maximum of 16 races each Sunday, so you won't be able to cheese your way to the top of the standings by simply doing more races than everyone else. After each tournament, I will post the standings here. This tournament will stay open until everyone gets sick of it and stops playing.

Check out the current LTD tournament standings, plus a weekly points breakdown here.

If you join the tournament outside of the designated race hours, you will be able to race against anyone else who is in the tournament lobby at the time, but your points will not count towards the official tournament standings.

There is no friend list requirement for the tournament. You can race against anybody who joins the tournament, whether they are on your friends list or not!

The tournament lasts for 2 hours, and everyone is capped at 16 races. Opponent shuffling is off. We are using All Items item settings this week. CPU opponents have been activated at Hard difficulty. This will help fill out the races when the room isn't full, and allow you the same point potential in every race.

As always this tournament is open to future changes -- There is a weekly poll for everyone to vote on basic race settings. If you would like to see changes that are not available via the poll, please post your suggestions in this thread.

See you on the track!!

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    At some point we really should do a motion controls only tournament.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    Huzzah!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
      TimFiji wrote: »
      Huzzah!

If you don't win that one I'm gonna be real disappointed in you.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
    • Options
      Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
      I used to be pretty killer at the motion steering in MKWii, but I suspect a motion-control tourney in MK8 would destroy me.

• Options
      TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
      Motion controls in Mario Kart 8 are a lot easier, so don't discount yourself immediately. I've been meaning to make the switch from gamepad to motion just for shits and giggles, but right now my gamepad screen is nicer than my TV, so...I probably won't for a while.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
      Let's Plays of Japanese Games
    • Options
      skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
      I used to be pretty killer at the motion steering in MKWii, but I suspect a motion-control tourney in MK8 would destroy me.

Hmm... maybe we should do it then.

But then again, I'm not great at motion either.

Conflicted!

Nintendo Console Codes
      Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
      PM Me if you add me!
      HAIL HYDRA
    • Options
      BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
      Is there any difference in the motion controls between using the gamepad or wii remote. Or even between a regular wii remote versus one with motion plus?

• Options
      TimFiji wrote: »
      Huzzah!

If you don't win that one I'm gonna be real disappointed in you.

Because I am the only steering wheel in the charts when we race?! Thanks for putting the pressure on, Maz!

• Options
        MiserableMirthMiserableMirth Registered User regular
        Is there any difference in the motion controls between using the gamepad or wii remote. Or even between a regular wii remote versus one with motion plus?

If there is, you can't tell the difference.

• Options
        ConnConn Registered User regular
        How many other people have the Gold Glider unlocked? No one else gonna run full gold with me today?

XBL, PSN, and NNID: "ConnConnor" for all three.
      • Options
        Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
        Unfortunately I think I'm still a couple of hundred coins away from the gold glider.

• Options
        AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
        Still no gold glider for me. I think I need another couple thousand coins yet.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
      • Options
        OH NO CATRIIIIINE

I SAW THE WHOLE THING

• Options
        I was spectating that Rainbow Road 64 race and saw Catrine go from first to eighth. Ouch!

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
      • Options
        Damn the competition this week seems rough.

Nintendo Console Codes
        PM Me if you add me!
        HAIL HYDRA
      • Options
        Thwomp Ruins was fucking debacle. That wasn't my worst placing I've had, but it sure felt like the worst personal performance.

• Options
        Aww miss you guys. Wish I could play!

• Options
          There's little more frustrating in Mario Kart than getting clobbered and stuck behind a damn wall.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
        • Options
          KibromanKibroman Registered User regular
          Bleh, should have gave me anything other than a coin on that last item box.

WiiU: Kibroman
        • Options
          I don't know who had that lightning bolt, but thank you! That was perfectly timed for me to retake the lead!

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
        • Options
          Someone came off a jump and landed directly on my head with a Crazy 8. Blew my ass up and gave me the star!

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
        • Options
          Conn wrote: »
          OH NO CATRIIIIINE

I SAW THE WHOLE THING

A cat jumped on me at an inopportune moment...

Although apparently the light buzzing of the WiiU in another room was too loud for folks trying to sleep so I've had to turn it off with some reluctance.

Catch you all next week I guess...

• Options
          So tired of getting nothing but mushrooms on Rainbow Road...

Nintendo Console Codes
          PM Me if you add me!
          HAIL HYDRA
        • Options
          No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
          I am having the worst luck I've ever had tonight

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
          sirtoons.png
        • Options
          Conn wrote: »
          OH NO CATRIIIIINE

I SAW THE WHOLE THING

A cat jumped on me at an inopportune moment...

Although apparently the light buzzing of the WiiU in another room was too loud for folks trying to sleep so I've had to turn it off with some reluctance.

Catch you all next week I guess...

Shucks, I was wondering what happened.

You should put a pea under their mattress, as an experiment.

• Options
          No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
          Why didge.... why fly out of your way to just hit me on your way past with the star at the finish line. You monster.

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
          sirtoons.png
        • Options
          Great. Grumble Volcano. What a way to end a pretty bad night.

Nintendo Console Codes
          PM Me if you add me!
          HAIL HYDRA
        • Options
          RehabRehab Registered User regular
          Damn, completely lost track of the time tonight!

Are there still a lot of people playing or would I be skewing results pretty bad if I started playing now?

NNID: Rehab0
        • Options
          HounHoun Registered User regular
          You know, I don't really enjoy playing Sunday Drivers anymore. Not because I keep getting my ass handed to me; I'm fine with losing. It's the fact that I can't understand why. I don't know what you all are doing differently than me. I don't understand how nothing I do, no changes to my kart or my lines, have any effect on the outcome.

And I'm also really, really tired of getting chain-smacked on every. Single. Course. Sitting in one place for 5-10s while you go from 2-3rd to 12th with 0 coins by shell after star after shell is the absolute worst.

Ok, salty rant over. Good games, everyone.

Except @AbsoluteZero‌, that banana right in front of me at the shortcut on Rainbow Road can never be forgiven. Never.
          <3

• Options
          DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
          Why didge.... why fly out of your way to just hit me on your way past with the star at the finish line. You monster.

Ha ha, that was more 'careening out of control' than deliberately hitting you, but I'm sorry for starmanning you. If it makes you feel any better, Karma dictated that I was hit by roughly 5 of those starmans during subsequent races, and veered straight into several walls whilst trying to avoid others. I'm starting to develop a twitch whenever I hear that tell-tale music...

• Options
          DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
          Hmmm? What's that I hear?

N-

NO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZm06ZObCy8

*veers into wall and then gets hit by the starman anyway*

• Options
          RehabRehab Registered User regular
          Shoot, everyone dispersed.

Don't count me in the standings tonight. I will be back next week!

NNID: Rehab0
        • Options
          MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
          Good games, y'all! Man... I thought I did better this week than last week (even snatching away a 1st place victory on Thwomp Ruins) but ended up with only five more points overall. Then again, most of the time, I was wobbling between either being at the back of the pack at 11th or at the front of the peloton in 4th - no chance of catching you three leaders in the group!

I guess I am getting back into the swing of things, but Sunday Drivers being the only time I really play Mario Kart, it's hard for my skills to catch up with the rest of you folks. There seem to be two things that I really need to hone in on for the big 12-player matches, and that's to learn how to draft behind players, and to anticipate which item boxes to take. All too often, the box I was aiming for was taken by someone else close by - not having items makes it quite difficult to advance.

4463rwiq7r47.png
        • Options
          MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
          AAAARGH!

Toddler handicap!

Screaming, throwing things, blocking the television, playing with breakable items, and grabbing Hilary's arms and pulling her skirt (she uses tilt controls)...

Still managed an alright race though somehow. @AbsoluteZero‌ Hilary's final score was 138.

Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
          TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
          Tried joining in for tonight and it kept on delivering me to an empty lobby. Probably something to do with the internet connection here, which is less than stellar. I hope everyone had a great time tonight!

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
          Let's Plays of Japanese Games
        • Options
          BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
          It feels like not hammering the item button and letting the item roulette finish on its own gets you better items. And lets me drive better since I'm not mashing the L button like a madman. Or makes me prematurely use a mushroom that sends me into walls...

• Options
          Houn wrote: »
          You know, I don't really enjoy playing Sunday Drivers anymore. Not because I keep getting my ass handed to me; I'm fine with losing. It's the fact that I can't understand why. I don't know what you all are doing differently than me. I don't understand how nothing I do, no changes to my kart or my lines, have any effect on the outcome.

And I'm also really, really tired of getting chain-smacked on every. Single. Course. Sitting in one place for 5-10s while you go from 2-3rd to 12th with 0 coins by shell after star after shell is the absolute worst.

Ok, salty rant over. Good games, everyone.

Except @AbsoluteZero‌, that banana right in front of me at the shortcut on Rainbow Road can never be forgiven. Never.
          <3

To be fair, I was hoping to catch @Conn with that peel when he came around on the next lap. Every single time he got taken out, and I could have taken first place, some stupid thing gave me an unwanted boost that sent me careening off the course and unable to capitalize. Speaking of which, I really hate getting that damn Piranha Plant item.

I was really disappointed @Halos Nach Tariff had to drop. Seems like I can never get a full set of races against her.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
        • Options
          Penny-Arcade G&T Sunday Drivers Week 16 Results

6aifkyvcug3y.png

zlCfzSd5eJQCrP-bFi
          zlCfzSd5cUUnQQ28Wv

25da948ttugz.png
          fla9mvs7o3mz.png
          6r19iyk2t3rl.png

You can find some more granular information at this link.

Thanks to all who participated in today's races. See you again next SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY.

**Note: I did not include Catrine's or Rehab's scores in the tracking since they only completed a couple races tonight.**

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
        • Options
          Highlights HO!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7Yonq66obc
          Doug reigns victorious in falls to the walls action!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6prw0HeFPB8
          Conn escapes the ravages of Toad's Turnpike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHBHahwvozM
          Absolute-0 snatches victory thanks to a conveniently timed lightning bolt!

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
        This discussion has been closed.