Options

Mario Kart 8: Animal Crossing DLC April 23rd, with 200cc coming for free!

• Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    Oh... it's 16 races.

I ducked out at 10 or 12 to get dinner. Thought I was done!!

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    I could have come in maybe not last in some of those.

I really need to learn the course shortcuts. Only placed 2nd once and the rest was 5-12th.

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I feel good if I get first at least once. Haven't been doing so hot at that lately. Feeling pretty good about my racing tonight though! Helps that Catrine had to bail, I can admit that.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    ConnConn Registered User regular
    I feel good if I get first at least once. Haven't been doing so hot at that lately. Feeling pretty good about my racing tonight though! Helps that Catrine had to bail, I can admit that.

You did pretty good tonight, I noticed. I think you and I split our placings ahead of each other like roughly halfway, maybe? You placed higher than me a whole bunch, at least.

XBL, PSN, and NNID: "ConnConnor" for all three.
  • Options
    MiserableMirthMiserableMirth Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    You know, I don't really enjoy playing Sunday Drivers anymore. Not because I keep getting my ass handed to me; I'm fine with losing. It's the fact that I can't understand why. I don't know what you all are doing differently than me. I don't understand how nothing I do, no changes to my kart or my lines, have any effect on the outcome.

What set-up do you use?

No one runs perfect lines. Everyone can improve in that area.

If you upload a time trial, I could give you some pointers.

• Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Wow top ten!

Craziness. In our lobby though it was maybe 4-5 people at a time and the rest were computers... and the computers were being dicks. It was weird to see them place ahead of folks in our lobby since I'm sure none of us have trouble against the computer in a normal race. If the computer ramps up its skill level based on the skill of the drivers that might be part of it since we ran some fairly tight races with crazy maneuvering.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    My turn to share highlights!

A real-life intervention from an overaffectionate lap cat sends Catrine off course, gift-wrapping a victory for me on N64 Rainbow Road:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeFbggIeXTE

The two winners of the previous 7 championships shit the bed on Thwomp Ruins, while Mr. Blarney gets his time in the spotlight:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pxodqBN3rE

Catrine gets payback for my fluke win on N64 Rainbow Road, as a late blue shell opens up the lead and victory for her on Twisted Mansion:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeChjB6C0os

DK Jungle turns out to be turbulent for everyone involved, with AbsoluteZero slipping in front with a mushroom for the win:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr-Lp5hQWiA

Houn comes up big at Mario Kart Stadium:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7fGGXsDWw8

Less than a full second separates the top three at Rainbow Road:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_uSYaX5EJc

Doug wins by a mile at Yoshi Valley:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwuCkLAEkco

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Love seeing these races from a different perspective. So much you don't realize is going on elsewhere on the track!

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Say, I wonder if you guys could help me with something. There's a piece of music from this game that I cannot find in the game itself.

Does anyone know where exactly this turns up?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I54qjq3iSLY&index=33&list=PL7z4hndyaGDXRaXkD76rekmI-6ejIAQPU

This is driving me nuts.

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Hmm, I don't think I've heard that music in game, and there's no 'options menu' as such. Maybe during the tournament set-up screen?

Regardless, sorry for bailing, very disappointing 'cos I rather enjoy our little sunday night racing.
    Thanks for not putting my scores in the tracking @AbsoluteZero I appreciate it.
    Next week I guess I shall seclude the cat somewhere, provide everyone in the house with earplugs and attempt to be present for more than like 5 races.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Conn wrote: »
    Say, I wonder if you guys could help me with something. There's a piece of music from this game that I cannot find in the game itself.

Does anyone know where exactly this turns up?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I54qjq3iSLY&index=33&list=PL7z4hndyaGDXRaXkD76rekmI-6ejIAQPU

This is driving me nuts.

Posted May 6th; game released May 29th in Japan. Uploader notes in the comments that he did his best to remove the "flicking" SFX from it, which indicates it was a gameplay capture. Perhaps an early version and the song is unused in the final product?

• Options
    That doesn't even sound like it would be in the game. It completely clashes with the rest of the game's sound track.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Mblackwell wrote: »
    Wow top ten!

Craziness. In our lobby though it was maybe 4-5 people at a time and the rest were computers... and the computers were being dicks. It was weird to see them place ahead of folks in our lobby since I'm sure none of us have trouble against the computer in a normal race. If the computer ramps up its skill level based on the skill of the drivers that might be part of it since we ran some fairly tight races with crazy maneuvering.

Eh, that's just Hard CPUs, they are pretty tough on that level. But yeah, that Pink Gold Peach was a bitch.

Anyway, DLC info! Yaaaaay

http://nintendoeverything.com/b-dasher-from-mario-kart-ds-coming-to-mario-kart-8-via-first-dlc-pack/

scOAHkU.jpg
    Some new details have emerged regarding Mario Kart 8’s first DLC pack, which is set to release in November. The pack includes 4 extra vehicles that can be used and we now know what one of those vehicles will be – Mario Kart DS’s B Dasher. Here’s the release from Miiverse:

Mario Kart DS’s popular vehicle, “B Dasher” will be available on DLC Pack 1. 4 vehicles will be included in the DLC Pack 1, and “B Dasher” will be one of them. “B Dasher” is a top speed oriented vehicle for circuit. Have fun!

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Too bad it's only info on one of the karts :P Honestly the part of the DLC I care the least about :)

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Too bad it's only info on one of the karts :P Honestly the part of the DLC I care the least about :)

Isn't top speed the biggest problem with light characters though? Surely a potential fix is a good thing?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    "Top speed oriented vehicle" sounds like the B Dasher is going to be a re-skin of the Mach 8/Circuit Special/Sports Coupe karts. I'm thinking they're not going to introduce any karts with new stats, just re-skins of the existing vehicle group types.

• Options
    I hope we get a new sport bike.

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    The B Dasher was one of my favorites back in the day, so I am pretty stoked.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    I hope we get a new sport bike.

Indeed. I'm perplexed why there isn't a Gold Bike.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Thanks for not putting my scores in the tracking @AbsoluteZero I appreciate it.

Indeed, I appreciate you doing that as well A-0. For some reason I got the times confused with the Wednesday tournament and though I had until 9:00 pm.

No idea why I would get that in my head, I've only been doing the Sunday tournament consistently for several weeks now! :P

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Isn't top speed the biggest problem with light characters though? Surely a potential fix is a good thing?

Imagine the backlash if the DLC karts are actually superior to the base parts in stats. If they want to make something to help counter light characters weaknesses, they'll have to do it in a free update unless they want to get a ton of grief about it.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »

Imagine the backlash if the DLC karts are actually superior to the base parts in stats. If they want to make something to help counter light characters weaknesses, they'll have to do it in a free update unless they want to get a ton of grief about it.

Best of both worlds; free program update released simultaneously with DLC makes the built-in speed karts speedier and the DLC karts are merely in line with the new paradigm?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    What is this sorcery?

http://youtu.be/oakjrG27uw8

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Well. That was something.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    I soft drift. It's only applicable for some turns. It's more useful to karts I think.

If you use the Sport Bike or any variation, practice it on the first turn of GBA Mario Circuit. If you do it right, you should get a red spark without going off your line.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    What's even worse, while looking up that Softdrifting (which I still don't understand, why would holding at a 45deg angle increase the speed that the orange comes out), I found some evidence that using Motion Controls always gives you a maxed Traction stat, regardless of your actual setup.

So basically, Motion Controls are, in fact, cheating.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Polls are now open for PA G&T SundayDrivers Week 17 tournament race settings. If you are planning to participate this Sunday, I highly encourage you to vote! I will be cutting off the votes at some arbitrary time on Friday or Saturday. Probably.

CLICK HERE TO VOTE

CLICK HERE TO SEE CURRENT RESULTS

Check out current tournament standings and various stats here.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Houn wrote: »

So basically, Motion Controls are, in fact, cheating.

So if I use the power gaming character/kart combo combined with my motion controls I can finally beat Conn?!?!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
      So midweek tourney in half an hour?

Nintendo Console Codes
      Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
      PM Me if you add me!
      HAIL HYDRA
    • Options
      plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
      klemming wrote: »

Best of both worlds; free program update released simultaneously with DLC makes the built-in speed karts speedier and the DLC karts are merely in line with the new paradigm?

They could also release another round of free karts/bikes around the same time to match the better stat ones. Maybe even a few weeks later to give DLC guys a few weeks with the advantage.

With B dasher and Blue Falcon known, I've been wondering what the other two karts will be. I'm expecting either two bikes or a bike and a ATV, and given the Blue Falcon is in there as well as an F-Zero stage, perhaps we'd get an Excite Bike (sicne there is an excite bike stage)? Bonus points if it's a 3D representation of the original NES sprite, like that DLC sword and sheild for Link in Hyrule Warriors.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
      steam_sig.png
    • Options
      Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
      Big Dookie wrote: »
      REMINDER:

Mid-week tournament is happening tonight as usual from 9:00 - 11:00 PM Central. I'm currently in San Francisco without my dearest Mario Kart, but hopefully you guys will have fun karting it up in my absence.

Rules are Normal Items, 150cc, Normal CPU, etc. It'll probably stay this way for a couple more weeks until we get moved into our new house.

Have fun!

EDIT - Forgot to post the tourney code for newcomers:

1304-1276-5545

LATE REMINDER:

Mid-week tourney starts in 20 minutes! Normal rules again tonight.

Steam | Twitch
      Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
    • Options
      Awww yeah! Its going to be on like that gorilla character you play.

I made sure to clock out from work with haste this time.

• Options
      Lightening striking me on both jumps!?

You bastards!! :P

• Options
      KaimakaKaimaka Registered User regular
      I'm the worst at Mario Kart.

2bas2j6qpsiv.gif
      Switch Friend Code: SW-3349-7357-2013
      3DS Friend code: 3093 8504 2352
    • Options
      Good races so far tonight!

Steam | Twitch
    • Options
      Big Dookie wrote: »
      Good races so far tonight!

Yeah, that Moo Moo Farm finish was quite tense.

• Options
      Who is this other Donkey Kong? IMPOSTER!

Steam | Twitch
    • Options
      TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
      Woo, piranha plant of doom!

• Options
      Haha, two red shells and a blue shell to finish me off.

This discussion has been closed.