As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DC Movies] Go post in the new thread

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I remember her being pretty bad in First Class. January Jones as Emma Frost, though. Woooof. She was turrible. "I wouldn't call it a 'war' - that suggests both sides have an equal chance of winning"

:I

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Forgive me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the article declaring Jaden Smith as Static Shock say it will be a digital series, not a movie?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    TexiKen wrote: »
    oh, he'll play both Miles and Static because his dad will have sunk the family fortune into Disney stock.

Willow Smith will be Spider-Gwen.

Dakota Johnson will be MJ.

The Doomsday clock moves to 11:59.

The latest Sony movies had great casting, and Marvel has no interest in participating in Will Smith egotism. They need get Zoe Kravitz in a role, she's awesome.

What's she been awesome in?

Californication, Mad Max: Fury Road, and did fantastic with her lousy role in X-men: First Class.

She didn't do fantastic at that role. Not her fault, no one could. There was nothing there to be fantastic as.

I was really excited to know where the character would go in the opening school segments. In that way, I thought she was fantastic.

But, anyway, DC thread.

DC.

DC...

Right, Jaden Smith is rumored to be Static? Fuck that. I retract the nice things I've said about Pursuit of Happyness.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I feel really bad for Jaden. We all know child stars get treated pretty badly, and I just have this feeling all this pressure is going to lead to bad things.

That being said, didn't he do well in the Karate Kid "remake" that only borrowed the name for marketing purposes?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    I feel really bad for Jaden. We all know child stars get treated pretty badly, and I just have this feeling all this pressure is going to lead to bad things.

That being said, didn't he do well in the Karate Kid "remake" that only borrowed the name for marketing purposes?

Litterally anyone else would have done just as well as him.

Also: Jaden can sit on his ass and never work a day of his or his childrens lives without ever having to worry about money thanks to his father.

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Yeah, I remember her being pretty bad in First Class. January Jones as Emma Frost, though. Woooof. She was turrible. "I wouldn't call it a 'war' - that suggests both sides have an equal chance of winning"

I still think it's criminal how they treated that character. And January should be perfect for it. But they gave her nothing to do and killed her off-screen. Emma Frost deserves better.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

I still think it's criminal how they treated that character. And January should be perfect for it. But they gave her nothing to do and killed her off-screen. Emma Frost deserves better.

You'd think that wouldn't be the case when she's sleeping with the director, but nope. Emma does deserve better, January had more to work with than Zoe did and turned in the worst performance in the movie. It wasn't just that she had a bad script, she didn't bother to put any effort into the role at all.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Might have been bad directing. Maybe they thought she should be emotionless or something.

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Might have been bad directing. Maybe they thought she should be emotionless or something.

Just play her as Betty Draper with superpowers! How hard is that?

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/05/25/arrow-had-to-halt-harley-quinn-storyline-plans

screw you DC.

next thing you'll know they want to cancel Arrow and Flash because of movies.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    I guess I haven't seen the Graham Norton show in a while. That is a magnificent beard.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/05/25/arrow-had-to-halt-harley-quinn-storyline-plans

screw you DC.

next thing you'll know they want to cancel Arrow and Flash because of movies.

That's too bad. Green Arrow and Harley had good chemistry in the Injustice comics.
    PzsSyYD.jpg

• Options
    ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »

Yeah, but no-one was seeing the Karate/Kung Fu Kid for Jaden. It was sold on "Jackie Chan as Chinese Mr Miyagi".

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I have no problem with Jaden. He seems to do serviceable in good films, and bad in bad films.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Uncle PKUncle PK Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Will Smith seems to care more about getting his son into acting than Jaden does

EDIT: I'm reminded of this article from The Onion

http://www.theonion.com/blogpost/perhaps-the-gimmick-of-my-father-and-me-starring-i-32649

Uncle PK on
  • Options
    RavelleRavelle Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Finally got around to watching Man of Steel.

I really liked this calm and collected Superman, action and fight scenes were pretty awesome.

The only thing that bothers me is that they went out of their way to tell us that Clark likes saving people but when he's fighting Zod he never tries to take the fight elsewhere, away from the city. He smashes Zod through buildings as if he's playing squash and is smashed through buildings himself as well, probably killing people in the process, then he's sad because he killed Zod forgetting the destruction he's caused.

Ravelle on
    D083uBC.jpg
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    You haven't read the thread have you?

I think half the pages in this thread alone and a third of the marvel thread is people bitching about how shitty the MoS ending battle was.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    I've heard enough about the ending through osmosis, I didn't expect the plot to be so contradicting though.

D083uBC.jpg
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Ravelle wrote: »
    Finally got around to watching Man of Steel.

I really liked this calm and collected Superman, action and fight scenes were pretty awesome.

The only thing that bothers me is that they went out of their way to tell us that Clark likes saving people but when he's fighting Zod he never tries to take the fight elsewhere, away from the city. He smashes Zod through buildings as if he's playing squash and is smashed through buildings himself as well, probably killing people in the process, then he's sad because he killed Zod forgetting the destruction he's caused.

I'm still reminded of the fight between Supes and Doomsday where they leveled buildings and shit. They had to not have "lights" on in the buildings so viewers didn't think people were in there (in the commentary). Similar to MOS, none of those buildings had people in it. They even fought right in a middle of a completely empty office building. But they definitely fought in the city and damaged buildings with people in Superman vs Doomsday.

Though they did a much better job of showing Superman giving a shit about people there. Helicopters, subway train, the little girl boy that was about to be smashed as he struggled to stand was when Superman was like "holy shit I need to kill this fucker."

Even if in MOS he didn't direct the fight out of Metropolis, a little care about the people he was saving except in the final scene would have went a long way to set the acceptable level for Zod's death. He's new to it, sure, maybe he couldn't get Zod out (Zod said he wouldn't be able to stop him from killing people), but at least try. And then, after saving a few people, snuff Zod.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6hqC5Z9was

Seriously, there's no way people didn't die in those buildings he leveled.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I have no problem with Jaden. He seems to do serviceable in good films, and bad in bad films.

I have no problem with Jaden. I do have a problem with his dad manipulating things behind-the-scenes so that Jaden gets potentially huge acting gigs ahead of potentially more talented young actors. Virgil from Static Shock is a complicated character, and it's a rare talent of that age that can pull it off. Phil LaMarr, who voiced Static in the cartoon, was over 30 at the time, and already a veteran actor.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    If the army can't stop an alien monster on the way into Metropolis, I'm sure they'd evacuate the city.

All buildings were empty. That subway train was empty. All those people in the streets were androids.

• Options
    emnmnme wrote: »
    If the army can't stop an alien monster on the way into Metropolis, I'm sure they'd evacuate the city.

All buildings were empty. That subway train was empty. All those people in the streets were androids.

I've decided to believe that the final fight of Man of Steel was all a dream, created by Kryptonian technology and Jonathan Kent's ghost (Kal-El downloaded Pa Kent into the crystals or whatever so they could be bros). The dream was supposed to teach Clark that Killing is Awesome and that humans are only important if they've been given names in the script.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular

I've decided to believe that the final fight of Man of Steel was all a dream, created by Kryptonian technology and Jonathan Kent's ghost (Kal-El downloaded Pa Kent into the crystals or whatever so they could be bros). The dream was supposed to teach Clark that Killing is Awesome and that humans are only important if they've been given names in the script.

I think they did that on purpose to set up Batman vs Superman, i.e. Superman's fighting caused so much collateral damage and loss of human life that there's this huge backlash against him, calling him a false god, etc., that leads Batman to want to take him out. I'm not defending it, just saying

• Options
    Zavian wrote: »

I think they did that on purpose to set up Batman vs Superman, i.e. Superman's fighting caused so much collateral damage and loss of human life that there's this huge backlash against him, calling him a false god, etc., that leads Batman to want to take him out. I'm not defending it, just saying

Naaah, rather Batman vs Superman is a reaction to the criticism they got. They can try and own it, but I really doubt there's any DC master plan at work.

Oh brilliant
  • Options

To think that Warner Brothers is doing anything other than rolling with the punches, you're not thinking about their history with the franchise.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

To think that Warner Brothers is doing anything other than rolling with the punches, you're not thinking about their history with the franchise.

I'm not even convinced it's a reaction. Could just be a way to make everything all grimdark, because the Goyer Batman films were dark and made loads of money.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    no, I mean literally it's part of the plot. It's all been pretty much confirmed by set leaks set post-MoS:
    Apparently showing Bruce Wayne in a devastated Metropolis. Bruce Wayne loses a Wayne International building, possibly along with someone close to him or some such during the Battle of Metropolis and takes it personally

Zavian on
  • Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    no, I mean literally it's part of the plot. It's all been pretty much confirmed by set leaks showing Bruce Wayne in a devastated Metropolis post-MoS. Apparently
    Bruce Wayne loses a Wayne International building, possibly along with someone close to him or some such during the Battle of Metropolis and takes it personally
    It was his parents.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Mego Thor wrote: »
    no, I mean literally it's part of the plot. It's all been pretty much confirmed by set leaks showing Bruce Wayne in a devastated Metropolis post-MoS. Apparently
    Bruce Wayne loses a Wayne International building, possibly along with someone close to him or some such during the Battle of Metropolis and takes it personally
    It was his parents.

Wait
    does that mean that Bruce Wayne's parents are deeeaaaaddddd?

• Options
    no, I mean literally it's part of the plot. It's all been pretty much confirmed by set leaks set post-MoS:
    Apparently showing Bruce Wayne in a devastated Metropolis. Bruce Wayne loses a Wayne International building, possibly along with someone close to him or some such during the Battle of Metropolis and takes it personally

Right! But they weren't thinking of that when they made Man of Steel. I'm not even sure they'd decided Batman was gonna be in it at that point. It's reactionary, and that's fine - it's a logical progression from what they did. But I don't give em points for setup. ;P

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

I'm not even convinced it's a reaction. Could just be a way to make everything all grimdark, because the Goyer Batman films were dark and made loads of money.

I just want to point this out because I don't want anyone mistakenly thinking Goyer made anything good in recent memory. He had almost nothing to do with Nolan's Batman trilogy. He wrote the initial script, which was replaced when Nolan was brought on board. However, because of weird rules, Goyer got a writing credit on all three movies.

• Options
    The satellite they thrashed had the name "Wayne" on it, just like they had Luthor Corps on the trucks. They must have had something in mind.

D083uBC.jpg
  • Options
    The satellite they thrashed had the name "Wayne" on it, just like they had Luthor Corps on the trucks. They must have had something in mind.

Those were shout-outs to fans. Didn't have to mean anything.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular

you got your chocolate in my peanut butter
    and you got your satellite in my truck

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    If the whole movie is about backlash against Superman and his actions in the last movie then I'm curious why there's even a statue of him in the first place.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

I think that thought was something like "See? We're totally cool like Marvel and shared universe and synergy and please give us that Avengers money!

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Given how trailers mislead a hell of a lot more these days, I wouldn't be surprised for the statue to not even be in the film.

And the plot leak about Bruce makes sense if Jimmy
    apparently loses his legs in the battle, so he has fake robo legs, yet he still is happy and go lucky and loves Superman. So Batman's all broody his building/someone presumably close to him died, but Jimmy, who lost body parts, still maintains love for the guy. Hell, they might have Jimmy confront Batman/Bruce about it too.

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    Mego Thor wrote: »
    It was his parents.

Wait
    does that mean that Bruce Wayne's parents are deeeaaaaddddd?

Thanks to the film geniuses at WB, the beloved meme will finally make it's long awaited silver screen appearance.
    2943940581_9f81a1c70d.jpg

SPOILER ALERT; Robin is also, somehow, in the movie.

kyrcl.png
This discussion has been closed.