Options

[Sunset Overdrive] Free on GWG starting April 15! Mohawks for everyone!

• Options
    Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Prohass wrote: »
    Ahhhhh? The reviewers have been pretty much universally positive, ranging from "it's pretty good" to "its dang fantastic"

There are a few 6s and 7s both yeah still mostly positive.

Metacritic has an average of an 82 for it. That seems really really low for this game, it's the best game I've played this year easy I'd say. Hope they get their due and it sells well for them.

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    i think the game will do pretty well sales-wise, and it's already off to a great start in the UK at least. 2 days on sale put it 2nd in the software charts behind FIFA and the white Xbox One SO bundle was the top selling SKU as well.

http://www.chart-track.co.uk/index.jsp?c=p/software/uk/latest/index_test.jsp&ct=110032

i'm sure MS will consider it worth the investment, if they don't already.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Well Microsoft definitely cornered the market on crazy city exploration zombie games with this and dead rising 3.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Well Microsoft definitely cornered the market on crazy city exploration zombie games with this and dead rising 3.

and it's such a jam-packed, hard to crack genre too. :P actually, it's pretty amazing just how different SO and DR3 are despite how similar they first appear.

• Options
    Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    Before I turned the game off last night I had climbed atop one of the buildings and was just looking out over the city. I noticed blocks and blocks away from me there was a fight going on between the OD and Scabs. They were way too far away to shoot, so just sat back and watched it for a little bit. I was really impressed with how much is going on in the city.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »

and it's such a jam-packed, hard to crack genre too. :P actually, it's pretty amazing just how different SO and DR3 are despite how similar they first appear.

DR3 was much more satisfying in terms of wading into a crowd of zombies and committing war crimes against them.

SO, however, scratches the itch that City of Heroes opened in terms of flying/zipping around cityscapes and traveling to interesting places.

I wish they had more/taller buildings that were challenging to scale. Some of my favorite missions so far are the ones that are climbing puzzles.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited November 2014

This just in: SR5 is now an Xbox platform exclusive. lol...

edit: forgot there was 4th one of those already, ha.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    edited November 2014

This just in: SR5 is now an Xbox platform exclusive. lol...

edit: forgot there was 4th one of those already, ha.

There was, and it was glorious.

Honestly mid-high 80s-low 90s seems about right. Solid A-, maybe B+, on the edge depending on what I was just doing. Some of the controls get obnoxious at times, "crazy platforming" doesn't always fit with a need to use high-damage single shot weapons on big guys, especially when your animations lock out aiming/gunfire, and it can get frustrating when you have multiple template-dropping mobs with knockdowns in the same engagement, such as a bunch of goopers and a herker. (If there's a way to traverse and not be hit by a template other than "just don't be near it", I may take that back, like when I found out that undergrinds let you ignore winger lasers.) Oh, and the character outfits are just... Sloppy. The hats are literally floating over your head, for instance.

But man, when it's on, it's on; destroying mobs of OD is very satisfying, the traversal is amazing when you start nailing sequences, and the weapons are generally enjoyable-to-great, even leaving aside the whole "and now my gun makes nukes" modding side of things.

dporowski on
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Guys, you gotta remember how the game review scale is weighted. 10 is great, 9 is decent, 8 and below are complete garbage.

Anyways, I finished this on Saturday, and it sucked having to let it go, but I had to return my friend's XBO. I probably would have enjoyed this over the period of a few weeks otherwise. I don't think this one game is enough to make me get a One, but I will say that I think SO is the best game I've played so far this gen.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Regarding the floating hats, I imagine it's so they work with all hairstyles. It is weird though since bald players look goofy as hell with the hats.

• Options
    Regarding the floating hats, I imagine it's so they work with all hairstyles. It is weird though since bald players look goofy as hell with the hats.

Yeah, it's just sloppy; my hairstyle (default half-shave on the female mid-body type) actually clips through some headwear, too. Points to them for trying, for sure, though, and it's almost unfair comparing it to SR, since that franchise has 4 iterations of practice at making it all fit properly. Hell, one of the tops (suspenders/shirt) is literally suspenders painted on the shirt model, and seriously this is the most petty complaint I may have ever typed.

• Options
    edited November 2014

Yeah, it's that. It's not the only game with clipping issues though... SR models have clipping issues too. Trying to think of a game with customizable options where no piece of clothing or armor or hair clips or is unnaturally removed and drew a blank.

Even in Destiny, the jackobyte "helmet" both clipped through certain helmets in third person view (along with one of my toon's hairstyles), and was visible in first person view during some animations (along with other clipping that happened), so... yeah. If anything clipping is a "sloppy" thing that is largely universal to games that feature complex 3d structures.

tastydonuts on
  • Options

Yeah, it's that. It's not the only game with clipping issues though... SR models have clipping issues too. Trying to think of a game with customizable options where no piece of clothing or armor or hair clips or is unnaturally removed and drew a blank.

Even in Destiny, the jackobyte "helmet" both clipped through certain helmets in third person view (along with one of my toon's hairstyles), and was visible in first person view during some animations (along with other clipping that happened), so... yeah. If anything clipping is a "sloppy" thing that is largely universal to games that feature complex 3d structures.

Well I mean there's "clipping" then there's "the entire mohawk side of it is sticking through the hat..."

Needs more tattoo options though. Nothing to spend all this cash on.

• Options
    I didn't find many outfits clipping on my female character, Maybe my copy is just awesome like that.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I often only pay attention when it's something super noticeable like the floating hats.

I kinda wish they showed a timeline of your character's visual progression kinda like Fable 3. I changed looks so many times it would be interesting to see how it evolved over time. My character always looked like a super hero or something.

• Options
    I often only pay attention when it's something super noticeable like the floating hats.

I kinda wish they showed a timeline of your character's visual progression kinda like Fable 3. I changed looks so many times it would be interesting to see how it evolved over time. My character always looked like a super hero or something.

I want to crazy it up, but I just can't find anything I like more than my current "fairly normal". Not through the game yet, so might get more options later. I do have my eye on some of the animal hats...

• Options
    I did like the superhero outfit complete with walkman. I actually took more clothes off as I went along, if only to show off them tats.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I know there are some hats that override your hairstyle in the Saints Row games. Probably preferable over some of that ridiculous clipping. But still, it's very easy to make cool and unique looking characters, so I was willing to overlook it. (I'll be honest, I rolled as the box-art guy most of the time.)

• Options
    Dirty wrote: »
    I know there are some hats that override your hairstyle in the Saints Row games. Probably preferable over some of that ridiculous clipping. But still, it's very easy to make cool and unique looking characters, so I was willing to overlook it. (I'll be honest, I rolled as the box-art guy most of the time.)

Eh, there's hats in this game that override portions of your hairstyle. I know this because I have big hair and sometimes the top half vanishes.

If there's a particular combo that does it, then I guess they may have missed that one permuation out of many, but by and large the hair clipping in this game isn't that big of a deal.

It's funny, I remember thinking when looking at the masks "some people are probably going to complain that they don't perfectly hug your face." AND HERE WE ARE. :P

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    My Character started out in jeans and a tee now he's wearing a tiger striped jacket with a top hat and star pants.

• Options
    haha, the only real changes I've made at this point are I started wearing oxfords and an infinity scarf.

btw where are like, the faction clothing options?

• Options
    haha, the only real changes I've made at this point are I started wearing oxfords and an infinity scarf.

btw where are like, the faction clothing options?

Isn't that stuff like the scout shirt, etc? I assumed anyway.

Where'd you get the oxfords? I haven't found anything I've liked more than motorcycle boots, but don't think I've seen the oxfords yet.

Infinity scarf sounds good, wouldn't fit the hawaiian shirt + undershirt combo, but if I get a jacket and the dress shirt instead...

• Options
    They may not call them oxfords in the game due to their being an oxford faction. Will check when I get home.

• Options
    Faction stuff is usually for sale after you have done stuff for that faction. That's where I got all the fargathia stuff, though side missions tend to also have it.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    NinjabearNinjabear Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Just beat the game earlier today. Favorite mission was:
    When you forge a sword in a nuclear reactor and absorb the souls of 99 robots with it.

BTW, is there anyway to start the story mode over?

Ninjabear on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me!!! Friend Code: 2981-7429-8364
  • Options
    Ninjabear wrote: »
    When you forge a sword in a nuclear reactor and absorb the souls of 99 robots with it.

You can do any story mission from your log book.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

If the entire rest of the game had been with that thingie, I woulda been a happy man.

• Options
    Started with lucha mask, undershirt, hawaiian shirt, skinny jeans, and slip on vans.
    Now I have normal jeans, a holster, and fingerless gloves; everything else is the same.

Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    dporowski wrote: »

If the entire rest of the game had been with that thingie, I woulda been a happy man.

Sadly no, though you do get to do a weapon challenge with it. Which for me broke the first time.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    @dporowski: the oxford shoes are called.... wait for it... Dress Shoes

• Options
    @dporowski: the oxford shoes are called.... wait for it... Dress Shoes

Well no WONDER man who would ever name something that is just SO OBSCURE I'm totally blaming the pants or something for covering my feet.

Thanks much. Man I feel brilliant.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    These guys are weirdly hypnotic to watch, with the rod going in out of the Gorilla's butt:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGdyFZfmwUY

And wouldn't it have been awesome if you could actually play all those arcade games?

• Options
    So does the new personal challenge go up today?

Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Finished up the main story, and side missions over the weekend. Definitely gonna go back for all the challenges and stuff.

I'm pretty sure this is going to end up my GOTY.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Ken O wrote: »
    So does the new personal challenge go up today?

I imagine the new challenge would pop whenever they release the next episode of their TV show?

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Finished up the main story, and side missions over the weekend. Definitely gonna go back for all the challenges and stuff.

I'm pretty sure this is going to end up my GOTY.

I would have say this but I have yet to play Dragon Age or Bayonetta 2.

It'll probably be a solid third unless Unity or FarCry 4 manage to wow me though.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Ken O wrote: »
    Started with lucha mask, undershirt, hawaiian shirt, skinny jeans, and slip on vans.
    Now I have normal jeans, a holster, and fingerless gloves; everything else is the same.

I started with the green sweater vest/carlton shirt and hot pants.. and red horned rim glasses. Now it's all the same except for instead of hot pants I'm wearing skeleton themed leggings and sandals.

my dude is weird looking.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    I'm currently running around with the samurai pants and sandals and the rib bandages.

I was using the dress pants and vest with the shorty shotty, but after I got Excalamune, I went back to the afro-ronin get up.

• Options
    This week's Sunset TV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2VuXmX86i0

Personal Challenge this week is to get 10 gold ratings on any 10 challenges (you can repeat challenges you got gold on previously).

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Wait wait how does he pronounce LEGO?

aeNqQM9.jpg