As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Smash Bros. - Final Smash Direct Dec. 15th @ 2pm PST

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    Has anyone got some tips for reaching 90 KOs with Metaknight in Endless Smash? I'm struggling with it since he's pretty much my worst character.

I did it with the same strategy I used for all characters in Endless -- dash attacks. Metaknight (and most other characters) is fast enough to run past Miis, allowing you to hit and insta-KO Miis on the edges without getting yourself boxed in. So, dash back and forth on the bottom, pick off Miis on the edges, take care of the Miis in the middle when there's no one behind you. It'll help if you get a feel for how far Metaknight's sword sticks out so you don't attack while you're directly on top of a Mii (though that can be useful for taking out an entire group of bunched-up Miis at once).

Hope this helps.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Knight_ wrote: »
    And yet, melee at evo was mostly incomprehensible and also took fucking forever to finish. When the bracket almost got reset I wanted to die. Smash is just kinda not great for tournaments.
    There have been so many hype Smash matches at all kinds of tournaments. One of the best fighting games for spectating that I've played. It only took so long this year because we got the infamous Hungrybox vs Armada's Young Link matchup twice. As someone who was actually in the crowd at Evo, I thought that Top 8 was up there with Blaz and Marvel as being the most entertaining (although I admit to getting something to eat when Hungrybox sat down next to Armada the second time).

EDIT: Figure of speech. I don't think he actually sat down.

AshtonDragon on
  • Options
    And yet, melee at evo was mostly incomprehensible and also took fucking forever to finish. When the bracket almost got reset I wanted to die. Smash is just kinda not great for tournaments.
    There have been so many hype Smash matches at all kinds of tournaments. One of the best fighting games for spectating that I've played. It only took so long this year because we got the infamous Hungrybox vs Armada's Young Link matchup twice. As someone who was actually in the crowd at Evo, I thought that Top 8 was up there with Blaz and Marvel as being the most entertaining (although I admit to getting something to eat when Hungrybox sat down next to Armada the second time).

So what did whoever the hell Hungrybox and Armada are do?

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Hungrybox plays Jigglypuff, the most "lame" of all the competitive characters in Melee. Normally her matches still don't take that long because the other characters are so hyper-aggressive, but Armada counterpicks Young Link against him and proceeds to spend 8 minutes per game running away and throwing projectiles. It's fairly mind-numbing.

• Options

Hungrybox plays Jigglypuff, the most "lame" of all the competitive characters in Melee. Normally her matches still don't take that long because the other characters are so hyper-aggressive, but Armada counterpicks Young Link against him and proceeds to spend 8 minutes per game running away and throwing projectiles. It's fairly mind-numbing.

That sounds much more annoying than the minor speed difference between Melee and 4.

• Options

That sounds much more annoying than the minor speed difference between Melee and 4.
    That matchup in particular is certainly more brutal than anything I've seen in 4 so far. But normal competitive Melee matches are not what I would call a "minor" speed difference.

Noting that I really love Smash 4. Not trying to gloat about how much better Melee is, or something. Very, very different games.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    If you'd rather not read my thesis on competitive play, then this video covers similar subjects.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6AM_DsEiwE

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxSqdDn0wH4

Ooh, I like the sound of this.

• Options
    pawa24pawa24 Registered User regular
    McFlynn wrote: »
    pawa24 wrote: »
    I'm so freaking pissed off right now.
    I finally bought an amiibo of the only variety that showed up to the base here in Japan. I go to use it and nothing happens.
    I have tried every single step I can google to make it work.
    My 2 year old son likes to get ahold of the gamepad and has dropped it on multiple occasions, to the point where the corner where the NFC is, is cracked.
    So I'm either faced with a defective amiibo or a NFC that doesn't work on my gamepad.
    I'm pretty sure it's the gamepad and I'm trying to buy a new one and can't find it online or in store anywhere.
    If you guys happen to find one, post me a link please.

Edit: Verified with Nintendo customer support that the game pad is broken.

If I remember right, the only place you can buy new gamepads is Nintendo of Japan's website. But that information is from launch. The only other ways to get another pad is used on ebay or if Nintendo "repairs" your console.

And a new pad is supposed to be around $150. You can buy a refurbished WiiU in the states from Nintendo for 200. I don't know what options are available to you in your situation.

Rofl, I might as well buy a whole new Wii U for that price. Good thing only the bottom corner is chipped and only the NFC is not working. I wonder how much and how long it would take to get it repaired.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    Has anyone got some tips for reaching 90 KOs with Metaknight in Endless Smash? I'm struggling with it since he's pretty much my worst character.

I did it with the same strategy I used for all characters in Endless -- dash attacks. Metaknight (and most other characters) is fast enough to run past Miis, allowing you to hit and insta-KO Miis on the edges without getting yourself boxed in. So, dash back and forth on the bottom, pick off Miis on the edges, take care of the Miis in the middle when there's no one behind you. It'll help if you get a feel for how far Metaknight's sword sticks out so you don't attack while you're directly on top of a Mii (though that can be useful for taking out an entire group of bunched-up Miis at once).

Hope this helps.

That did indeed help, thanks!

Now to work on that Mii Gunner challenge..

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    BlueBlue wrote: »

That's a pretty sweet combo. I would be get pretty hype if I saw someone pull anything like that off in a tournament match, but setting it up would be pretty difficult even for a dedicated MegaMan player. Just not being on an Omega stage would already rule it out.

"...but that's not a real combo, yadda yadda yadda, technical stuff..."
    Outside of being difficult to set up/pull off, it's certainly a real combo. Outside of slightly altering the trajectory they go after getting hit off the ground (in order to try to avoid the footstool), there's nothing the other player can do about this.

I know, I'm just ragging after the big with Dr. Mario vs. the Metal Blade that some people have nitpicked over. ;P

(Sorry, I thought the "yadda" and stuff evoked sarcasm... my bad.)

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Happening in about eight hours.
    uLIu1Oo.png
    Friday, December 19th @ 9:00pm EST
    Signups
    Steam Group
    First Place: A swanky Mega Man miniature helmet, courtesy of @‌maximumzero
    m8-LA9Y9IvtbXT7_LeD1S0w.jpg

Weekly tournaments continue! Nothing special to note except that there is a small prize this week for our winner, and also we've rotated back to Friday so please keep that in mind. If you'd like to donate anything to the tournaments for prizes, then don't hesitate to PM me.
    1. Double Elimination, with regular matches will be best of three 1v1 matches with three stocks. Winner, Loser, and Grand Finals will be best of five. If you have extra rules unlocked, the time should be eight minutes.
    2. The results of Sudden Death are ignored, and the player with the lowest damage percentage when time expires is the winner.
    3. Items, and equipment are banned; Custom Moves are allowed.
    4. Players may switch characters/moves between matches. The winner of the previous match opts to change first (notify your opponent of whom) and then the loser may change their character in turn.
    5. The following are starter stages picked at random when playing the first game of a set: 1. Battlefield, 2. Final Destination (or an identical Ω stage), 3. Duck Hunt, 4. Smashville, 5. Town and City, and 6. Lylat Cruise.
    6. After a match, the winner may ban two stages. Then the loser picks the next stage, and which may be any of the starter stages or the following counterpick stages: Castle Siege, Delfino Plaza, Kongo Jungle, Pokemon Stadium 2, Mario Circuit (Wii U), Pilotwings, and Halberd. The loser may NOT pick a stage they have previously won on in that set.
    7. When a set is finished, report results on Challonge. If you wish, you can also report the scores of each match (how many KOs each player got), but this is optional. If a mistake is made, report it to me and it'll be fixed.
    8. Sets should take thirty minutes to complete. If after five minutes your opponent has not shown up, please contact me and you will win the set by default.
    9. Smasher's Agreement: a player make pick a stage not on this list if both players agree to it.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O97ZVJA/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Little Mac Amiibo up on Amazon right now. Going fast.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
    So, @Bobkins Flymo‌ , a few quick procedural questions now that customs are allowed again:

First, are customs locked in at character selection, or can we change them at other points before the match?

Let's say, for example, that I pick Mega Man w/ Leaf Shield and my opponent counterpicks Robin. Would I then be able to switch out Leaf Shield for Skull Barrier so I can reflect all those projectiles? Or am I stuck with Leaf Shield until the next character select cycle? If I can switch out customs, would I need to inform my opponent that I'm doing this?

Second, should we be reporting our customs loadouts to our opponents? If I report that I'm taking Danger Wrap, for example, and can't change that, then my opponent could counterpick Rosalina knowing that I don't have Crash Bomber, one of Mega Man's best tools for that particular matchup.

I don't plan to futz about with my customs loadout too much, but stuff like this could affect the moves that I take in a few situations here and there.

3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
  • Options
    For right now you can switch loadouts and don't need to tell your opponent. Just when switching character.

Not sure how other tournaments are handling it, but I haven't seen any kind of notification of custom announcements.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I switched loadouts without telling Wyvern specifically to mess up the dodge timing for Ganondorf's forward B

It worked!

Not enough to win any matches but hoo man, that shit was dirty

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    To this day I still have no idea what my problem was with that move. By all logic it should be easier to avoid than the standard one, and yet I got hit by it like fifteen times in a row.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    I think you probably kept spot-dodging, and spot-dodging doesn't work on that move

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    For right now you can switch loadouts and don't need to tell your opponent. Just when switching character.

Not sure how other tournaments are handling it, but I haven't seen any kind of notification of custom announcements.

I think it's a question of counter-counterpicking - you pick a character, they counterpick a character, can you now change your customs to fare better vs their counterpick

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    When the opponents get custom special in classic do they get equipment as well? Does it depend on whether you're playing with customisation on?

I really wish that custom specials and equipment could be enabled separately and that specials could be quickly selected on the character select screen.

With the menus being as bad as they are, I'm probably just not going to bother with what could have been the coolest addition to this game.

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    OK so come christmas I wanna get in on these.
    What is Challonge?
    How do you folks communicate before matches?

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    I am back in OH for holidays. Any able to test my connection before the tourney?

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      ConnConn Registered User regular
      What is Challonge?

Challonge is the in-browser service that we use to manage tournaments by reporting the results of our own matches and having the brackets advance everyone automatically based on that.

A bunch of people use the Steam Chat room, but I personally settle on using the forum's own PM system. The game itself has voice chat for friend lobbies, but not everyone is comfortable with it, plus it's really wonkily implemented.

XBL, PSN, and NNID: "ConnConnor" for all three.
    • Options
      Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
      Peewi wrote: »
      When the opponents get custom special in classic do they get equipment as well? Does it depend on whether you're playing with customisation on?

I really wish that custom specials and equipment could be enabled separately and that specials could be quickly selected on the character select screen.

With the menus being as bad as they are, I'm probably just not going to bother with what could have been the coolest addition to this game.

Enabling custom moves enables equipment as well, but you can immediately see if a character has equipment on by the colour of that little circle next to them. If it's grey, they're not using equipment.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
    • Options
      Glenn565Glenn565 Registered User regular
      TimFiji wrote: »
      I am back in OH for holidays. Any able to test my connection before the tourney?

I can real quick like.

3DS code:4511-0654-1976
      NNID: Glenn565
    • Options
      TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
      Glenn565 wrote: »

I can real quick like.

Won't be back till 7pm est!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
        Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      • Options
        Glenn565Glenn565 Registered User regular
        Glenn565 wrote: »

I can real quick like.

Won't be back till 7pm est!

Ah, I'll be at work then. Too Bad!

3DS code:4511-0654-1976
        NNID: Glenn565
      • Options
        maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
        Happening in about eight hours.
        uLIu1Oo.png
        Friday, December 19th @ 9:00pm EST
        Signups
        Steam Group
        First Place: A swanky Mega Man miniature helmet, courtesy of @‌maximumzero
        m8-LA9Y9IvtbXT7_LeD1S0w.jpg

You never responded to my message so I didn't know if you were interested in offering that as a prize, hah.

FU7kFbw.png
        Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
      • Options
        McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
        I have a (potentially lame) Christmas party at 7 CST but its literally two blocks away. If its bad I'll be back in time. If its actually fun, ill make sure to unregister before 8:45 or so.

• Options
        If you haven't been checking the Wii U thread, Pit, Captain Falcon and Luigi Amiibos are starting to pop up, but two are vanishing nearly instantly. Bet you can guess which ones.

• Options
        BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
        Conn wrote: »
        What is Challonge?

Challonge is the in-browser service that we use to manage tournaments by reporting the results of our own matches and having the brackets advance everyone automatically based on that.

A bunch of people use the Steam Chat room, but I personally settle on using the forum's own PM system.

Chat lest ye be chatted..about

CD World Tour status:
        Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
      • Options
        You never responded to my message so I didn't know if you were interested in offering that as a prize, hah.
        Weird, I swear I did but I guess I never sent the PM?

Let me know if it's a problem.

YL9WnCY.png
      • Options
        Check-ins have begun for the tournament

YL9WnCY.png
      • Options
        http://steamcommunity.com/groups/pasmashbros

Don't forget to enter the chat room, nerds!

dN0T6ur.png
      • Options
        Also what are the odds of Skyloft eventually being a counterpick? The waterfalls are annoying but they're not that bad

dN0T6ur.png
      • Options
        No idea; a person can only read Smash nerds argue over stages for but so long. I'm waiting for the smoke to clear.

YL9WnCY.png
      • Options
        Out with family, celebrating my job loss, so no tourney, but why isn't Bigger Battlefield an option?

• Options
        McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
        I converted EST to my time zone backwards :-/

• Options
        EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
        Taramoor wrote: »
        Out with family, celebrating my job loss, so no tourney, but why isn't Bigger Battlefield an option?

I'd guess the layout makes it too easy for a fast character to run in circles around the place and run out the clock in their favor.

• Options
        @Speed Racer‌ and @McFlynn‌ still need to check in. You have thirty minutes.

Sign-ups are still open for those curious.

YL9WnCY.png
      This discussion has been closed.