As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Smash Bros. - Final Smash Direct Dec. 15th @ 2pm PST

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Wyborn, it too late in the night for a match?

@chiasaur11 I was asleep when you said this, so yes. But! We can do it tonight whenever you get on.
    @Wyborn I two stocked a Bowser on For Glory by killing him with Ganondorf's uptilt and then took his second stock with a warlock punch.

That's a Ganon FG Hat Trick; you are now inducted into the hall of fame

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    I think someone did that to me in one of these tournaments - agoaj?

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    I try to use Up Tilt to edgeguard anyone who is coming in low. The timing is too tight for me to pull it off reliably, but when that shit happens it is hilarious

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    It was basically that followed by blocking like 2 ftilts -> shield break -> reverse wpunch

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    That was me, then. I think. I remember the shield break into the RWP

If that's happened more than once in these tourneys that would be delightful, though

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Emperor_Z wrote: »
    Maz- wrote: »
    Maz- wrote: »
    *Angrily raises fists to the sky*
    Master Fortress!!!

Do I need to do this multiple times for challenges, or do you only need to beat Classic on 9.0 once?

There actually is no challenge for merely beating it at 9.0.

There is one for beating it without losing a life, one for beating it in under 12 minutes with Marth and one for beating it without customizations.

Really? I just assumed, since it seems like a distinct accomplishment and the 3DS version had a 9.0 challenge.

So you never actually need to beat Master Fortress for any reason?

In case it wasn't clear: those challenges I listed need to be done at 9.0.

Oh... fuck

I wouldn't mind so much if the mode didn't eat coins

You'll also need to beat Master Fortress three times at 8.0 (or higher) for both Master Fortress theme CDs.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Wyborn wrote: »
    I try to use Up Tilt to edgeguard anyone who is coming in low. The timing is too tight for me to pull it off reliably, but when that shit happens it is hilarious
    The uptilt is great against people who overestimate edge grab invulnerability.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Wyborn, it too late in the night for a match?

@chiasaur11 I was asleep when you said this, so yes. But! We can do it tonight whenever you get on.

Won't be on long tonight, but that sounds good. Should be playing for a bit in a little over six hours.

• Options
    The uptilt is great against people who overestimate edge grab invulnerability.

Ganondorf actually has a few surprising options for this stuff. In particular, his dash attack will hit enemies who are hanging off the edge, which no one ever expects!

Nothing as good as the UTilt, though, and the range on it is a lot longer than it appears

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    RockinX wrote: »
    Ov3rcharge wrote: »
    So a new technique similar to wave dashing has been discovered in Smash 4, it's called Perfect Pivoting.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vaR4RM-qr0#t=171
    Fucking hell. I hope they patch that. I don't want to break my 3DS.

I disagree, this option may very well save the game's competitive scene from going the way of Brawl.

• Options
    So a new technique similar to wave dashing has been discovered in Smash 4, it's called Perfect Pivoting.

I disagree, this option may very well save the game's competitive scene from going the way of Brawl.

...just curious, how does having a difficult to pull off glitch that most people will never ever figure out somehow make a fighting game competitive?

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

...just curious, how does having a difficult to pull off glitch that most people will never ever figure out somehow make a fighting game competitive?

It speeds up the game, bringing it closer to Melee, which is the most important thing for the tournament scene.

• Options
    Wavedashing was not the thing that broke Brawl. It was changes to hitstun and overall changes to game speed.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Taramoor wrote: »

It speeds up the game, bringing it closer to Melee, which is the most important thing for the tournament scene.

In other words, the competitive scene will reject anything that isn't 100% Melee.

• Options

In other words, the competitive scene will reject anything that isn't 100% Melee.

It'll reject overly defensive games that are boring to spectate, which melee wasn't and brawl was

CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    That was me, then. I think. I remember the shield break into the RWP

If that's happened more than once in these tourneys that would be delightful, though

It makes sense for it to have been you - if it was on lylat then it deffo was

CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    edited December 2014

I wouldn't and won't say that, even if I think it from time to time, but usually for a game to be successful from a tournament perspective it needs to be fun to play AND fun to watch. Not necessarily for the layman, although that helps, but at the very least for people who know what they're watching. A faster game means less running away and less safety on moves (due to the increased range) mean less waiting around. It creates a situation where you can force your opponent to make a mistake rather than wait for them to do so.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
    I didn't mind wavedashing, because it wasn't THAT hard to do and wasn't even necessary for some characters. I mained Peach in Melee, and for her Float Cancelling was and (I think still is) way more important than wavedashing.

Perfect pivoting annoys me though because I find it very difficult to do consistently. It literally requires a 1-frame input, which for those of you following at home is 1/60th of a second. If your input lasts 2 frames or more you'll fuck it up and your character will spaz out.

Some of is just don't have the reflexes to do that shit. I'm fine with finding advanced mechanics that create new and exciting gameplay options, but this seems like a little much, so I hope it remains an extremely situational gimmick.

3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
  • Options
    Wow, Nintendo must have pissed Amazon off again something fierce. Can't find the Amiibos on there anymore.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Wow, Nintendo must have pissed Amazon off again something fierce. Can't find the Amiibos on there anymore.

?

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Enlong wrote: »

?

Weird, I search for Amiibo and I get 25 results, none of them Amiibo.

EDIT: Oh, I see, it's auto-filtering to "Wii U Accessories". Remove the filter and they show up again.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »

?

Weird, I search for Amiibo and I get 25 results, none of them Amiibo.

EDIT: Oh, I see, it's auto-filtering to "Wii U Accessories". Remove the filter and they show up again.

A couple retailers have Amiibos under Wii U accessories. I wonder if maybe Amazon changed their mind, but half-assed the change.

• Options
    CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    Sometimes I wonder if I'm playing the same game as everyone else.

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    I definitely, but I still have fun.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
      Never buy Nintendo stuff on Amazon

Their relationship is so weird and it's the only time Amazon feels shady

6F32U1X.png
    • Options
      have they not come through in some instance or something

CD World Tour status:
    • Options
      Time for Smashing.

• Options
      Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
      Has anyone got some tips for reaching 90 KOs with Metaknight in Endless Smash? I'm struggling with it since he's pretty much my worst character.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
    • Options
      AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
      BlueBlue wrote: »

That's a pretty sweet combo. I would be get pretty hype if I saw someone pull anything like that off in a tournament match, but setting it up would be pretty difficult even for a dedicated MegaMan player. Just not being on an Omega stage would already rule it out.

• Options

That's a pretty sweet combo. I would be get pretty hype if I saw someone pull anything like that off in a tournament match, but setting it up would be pretty difficult even for a dedicated MegaMan player. Just not being on an Omega stage would already rule it out.

Yeah, you have to footstool a standing opponent with a Metal Blade in hand in order to start the combo. Considering that you can't footstool someone if he is doing any action aside from standing, walking, running, or jumping, that's... unlikely to be achieved against a real person.

Someone over on the Mega Man boards at Smashboards has a similar combo that begins with using Leaf Shield to stun the opponent, allowing him to footstool. That's only slightly more practical, consisting how rare it is to get a Metal Blade in hand, have a Leaf Shield up, and be within jumping distance of a standing opponent. He claims to have executed the combo against humans, mostly when they stand up from ledge.

• Options

Yeah, you have to footstool a standing opponent with a Metal Blade in hand in order to start the combo. Considering that you can't footstool someone if he is doing any action aside from standing, walking, running, or jumping, that's... unlikely to be achieved against a real person.

Someone over on the Mega Man boards at Smashboards has a similar combo that begins with using Leaf Shield to stun the opponent, allowing him to footstool. That's only slightly more practical, consisting how rare it is to get a Metal Blade in hand, have a Leaf Shield up, and be within jumping distance of a standing opponent. He claims to have executed the combo against humans, mostly when they stand up from ledge.
      I could imagine it being possible to set up, although I am pretty skeptical to believe a random Smashboards poster who doesn't have any proof. Still, I'm always happy to see some new MegaMan tech. I would be very happy if he actually winded up being good.

• Options
      NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
      have they not come through in some instance or something

they have a disagreement on how to handle returns of hardware, going back to the cracked hinges of the DS. its why nintendo doesn't directly sell hardware through amazon anymore.

there's nothing skeevy about buying anything nintendo on amazon, just be aware which seller you're actually buying things from.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    • Options
      LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular

"...but that's not a real combo, yadda yadda yadda, technical stuff..."

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
      Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    • Options

"...but that's not a real combo, yadda yadda yadda, technical stuff..."
      Outside of being difficult to set up/pull off, it's certainly a real combo. Outside of slightly altering the trajectory they go after getting hit off the ground (in order to try to avoid the footstool), there's nothing the other player can do about this.

• Options
      edited December 2014
      All I know is that if I was twelve and my friend pulled that crap on me I'd beat the ever living piss out of him. (Because this is 1999 and you're not playing online in this scenario.)

More power to you if you can do that though.

McFlynn on
    • Options
      edited December 2014

I could imagine it being possible to set up, although I am pretty skeptical to believe a random Smashboards poster who doesn't have any proof. Still, I'm always happy to see some new MegaMan tech. I would be very happy if he actually winded up being good.

We should play a few matches sometime. I main Mega Man and like to think I'm pretty good with him.

In general I think the competitive community is kind of sleeping on the newcomer characters, with the exception of Rosalina and maybe Shulk and Robin. Some characters, like Mega Man and Pacman and Wii Fit Trainer, seem like they could have some serious potential if/when their metas develop.

ChopperDave on
    • Options
      Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular

I wouldn't and won't say that, even if I think it from time to time, but usually for a game to be successful from a tournament perspective it needs to be fun to play AND fun to watch. Not necessarily for the layman, although that helps, but at the very least for people who know what they're watching. A faster game means less running away and less safety on moves (due to the increased range) mean less waiting around. It creates a situation where you can force your opponent to make a mistake rather than wait for them to do so.

And yet, melee at evo was mostly incomprehensible and also took fucking forever to finish. When the bracket almost got reset I wanted to die. Smash is just kinda not great for tournaments.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    • Options
      edited December 2014
      You don't get to complain about long tournaments if you haven't sat through moba tournaments.

Chinese dota teams are infamous for conservative play where matches can take over ninety minutes.

Sterica on
      YL9WnCY.png
    • Options
      EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
      edited December 2014
      Well, Mobas also operate on a longer per-match time frame than fighting games, just in general, right?

Enlong on
    This discussion has been closed.