As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Smash Bros. - Final Smash Direct Dec. 15th @ 2pm PST

• Options
    ZilikZilik Registered User regular
    I'm down for some games.

Switch : SW-6376-0705-0509
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    All right. I accepted your friend request and will go make a room.

Did yo uwant items on or off?

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Let's keep them off I guess, try to get some practice for the tournament.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    I have my setting on No Items and only the tournaments stages are available for random, just to make it work a little better as practice.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Sorry Zilik, the lag on thatl ast one was way too intense

Good game,s though. Your Robin is beast mode. Your Peach is good too but you don't have that same sense of aggressive confidence with her

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Yeah, I think someone in the family started watching a stream or something near the end there since it wasn't that bad before. Sorry bout that. Good games, don't get to play many Ganondorf's online.

• Options
    ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
    Any of youse guys still around? Gotta get in some practice with Megs

3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
  • Options
    McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    Any of youse guys still around? Gotta get in some practice with Megs

I could play a round or two if you give me a few minutes to get set up. Send me a friend request? McFlynn.

• Options
    Done! I'll set up a room

• Options
    Sweet. I'm gonna try out my possible mains on you and see what I feel more comfortable with. I apologize in advance for not staying too long.

• Options
    Best Wario Waft ever? Best Wario Waft ever.

• Options
    Good God Dave, could you not desecrate my family's honor so gosh darn much?

Thoughts:

* Holy Turd Blossom, I have never played a Mega Man anything like you. Also, my entire plan of action to kill Mega Mans (Mega Men?) is completely voided by that custom move you were using. Bubble Wrap from Mega Man 7? I don't think I've played any played any custom moves, come to think of it.
    * I kept trying to leave but then the round would end so embarrassingly for me. I'd be like, I gotta do one more and be less of a suckfest! But that never happened.
    * I even got a 30 damage turnip with Peach to contact with you in midair and I still couldn't pull off a win.
    * I'm gonna go back to playing random 12-year-olds in For Glory to feel better about myself.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    @Wyborn, it too late in the night for a match?

• Options
    More thoughts:

First I ever played Dr. Mario. Not an immediate fan.

Oh, and besides the fact that you were creaming me, I kept getting dumb thumbs and doing something that wouldn't let me grab the ledge.

• Options
    McFlynn wrote: »

Thoughts:

* Holy Turd Blossom, I have never played a Mega Man anything like you. Also, my entire plan of action to kill Mega Mans (Mega Men?) is completely voided by that custom move you were using. Bubble Wrap from Mega Man 7? I don't think I've played any played any custom moves, come to think of it.
    * I kept trying to leave but then the round would end so embarrassingly for me. I'd be like, I gotta do one more and be less of a suckfest! But that never happened.
    * I even got a 30 damage turnip with Peach to contact with you in midair and I still couldn't pull off a win.
    * I'm gonna go back to playing random 12-year-olds in For Glory to feel better about myself.

Haha! I've put a lot of time into perfecting my Mega Man game. He's a really good character once you figure out how to use his unique traits. I think a lot of people in the competitive community are kind of sleeping on him right now.

And yes, Danger Wrap is probably one of the best custom moves in the entire game. Such sick anti air. So much better than Crash Bomber.

My advice to you is to to start dashing and shielding rather than rolling. MUCH safer approach than trying to roll toward me. Otherwise your approach game is pretty solid -- you did a good job stringing aerials into ground attacks and spacing me so I couldn't easily shield grab you.

Also, Shulk is super fun to play but I'm not at all as good with him as I am with Megs.

• Options
    Going to get back on for a bit if anyone wants to get some games in.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    McFlynn wrote: »

Thoughts:

Haha! I've put a lot of time into perfecting my Mega Man game. He's a really good character once you figure out how to use his unique traits. I think a lot of people in the competitive community are kind of sleeping on him right now.

And yes, Danger Wrap is probably one of the best custom moves in the entire game. Such sick anti air. So much better than Crash Bomber.

My advice to you is to to start dashing and shielding rather than rolling. MUCH safer approach than trying to roll toward me. Otherwise your approach game is pretty solid -- you did a good job stringing aerials into ground attacks and spacing me so I couldn't easily shield grab you.

Also, Shulk is super fun to play but I'm not at all as good with him as I am with Megs.

I have issues fighting Shulk in general. I usually have to disrupt their move with a turnup and slap their shit with Peach, so I wasn't exactly excited when you switched to Shulk.

I've really been working on my air game the last week or so. (I only play a few times a week though.) I would have tried riskier things, but you were always a stock ahead of me, not exactly encouragement to risk suicide.

But thank you for the compliment.

McFlynn on
  • Options
    Glenn565Glenn565 Registered User regular
    Zilik wrote: »
    Going to get back on for a bit if anyone wants to get some games in.

I'm up for some more Smashing.

3DS code:4511-0654-1976
    NNID: Glenn565
  • Options
    Good games again, think I've got enough smash in for the day.

• Options
    Glenn565Glenn565 Registered User regular
    Yeah, those matches were a blast. Your Robin is a monster by the way, and mine pales in comparison.

3DS code:4511-0654-1976
    NNID: Glenn565
  • Options
    Currently Smashing

• Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    So a new technique similar to wave dashing has been discovered in Smash 4, it's called Perfect Pivoting.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vaR4RM-qr0#t=171

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    @Wyborn I two stocked a Bowser on For Glory by killing him with Ganondorf's uptilt and then took his second stock with a warlock punch.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    Ov3rcharge wrote: »
    So a new technique similar to wave dashing has been discovered in Smash 4, it's called Perfect Pivoting.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vaR4RM-qr0#t=171
    Fucking hell. I hope they patch that. I don't want to break my 3DS.

• Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    RockinX wrote: »

I very much hope that they don't. More movement options are exactly what this game needs (although this does look both more difficult and less effective than wavedashing, I'll take what I can get).
    Not that I've actually practiced this, yet. I may change my mind if it's too difficult.

• Options
    Emperor_ZEmperor_Z Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    *Angrily raises fists to the sky*
    Master Fortress!!!

Do I need to do this multiple times for challenges, or do you only need to beat Classic on 9.0 once?

Emperor_Z on
  • Options
    Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
    Hey.

You all know about this project, yes? If not, you do now and should take advantage of it.

Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
    Steam: TimIsOnSteam
    Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
    Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
    PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Emperor_Z wrote: »
    Master Fortress!!!

Do I need to do this multiple times for challenges, or do you only need to beat Classic on 9.0 once?

There actually is no challenge for merely beating it at 9.0.

There is one for beating it without losing a life, one for beating it in under 12 minutes with Marth and one for beating it without customizations.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options

I very much hope that they don't. More movement options are exactly what this game needs (although this does look both more difficult and less effective than wavedashing, I'll take what I can get).
    Not that I've actually practiced this, yet. I may change my mind if it's too difficult.
    The method to perform it looks way more fiddly and abusive to your controller. I'd prefer straight up wave dashing over this.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    It was hard to watch that vid. I'd probably go nuts if someone was flicking the sticks on my controllers like that.

Question about falling speeds. I know you can fast fall buy tapping down on the stick as you are descending, but do characters all have unique fall speeds regardless? Was fighting against my Link amiibo and whenever I managed to launch him really high he has a habit of faking a regular fall, then suddenly fast falling really, really quick to get to the ground fast and smash my face in. I can't seem to drop to the ground as fast with other characters.

• Options
    Yes, characters have their own fall speeds. jigglypuff is very floaty whereas Fox or Dedede are known for falling quickly. This has good and bad properties, as floaty characters are harder to combo and fast fallers are harder to KO

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options

The method to perform it looks way more fiddly and abusive to your controller. I'd prefer straight up wave dashing over this.
    Well, wavedashing is super great, so yeah. Still, this doesn't look like something you'd have to do often. And I found that my old GameCube controllers had their L buttons break well before the stick even with crazy amounts of dash dancing, so I wouldn't worry about the controller. My concern is mainly about whether this is too difficult to reliably do.

• Options
    BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus Pssssssssyyyyyyyy duckRegistered User regular
    I can't play in the tourney this week. But next week I can, and I'd be happy to throw down a 10$ eshop card for a prize

• Options
    edited December 2014

Well, wavedashing is super great, so yeah. Still, this doesn't look like something you'd have to do often. And I found that my old GameCube controllers had their L buttons break well before the stick even with crazy amounts of dash dancing, so I wouldn't worry about the controller. My concern is mainly about whether this is too difficult to reliably do.

I tried doing it on my 3DS at work.

I can do it pretty reliably into the ftilt and pivot throw, but I can't seem to do it into a jab like he does. I can only consistently pull that off at 2/3 speed or lower. Maybe I need more practice, or maybe it'll be easier on the WiiU. I dunno.

I can see how this might be useful for other characters, but it seems kind of situational for Mega Man. His grab range and jab ranges are already very good and he doesn't need to perfect pivot to drop shield and run into a usmash. I guess it could be useful for spacing utilt and bair, but I don't want to have to map tilts to my cstick. Eh.

ETA: Yeah, definitely not a fan. The input for this is super finicky and precise. I can do it maybe 1 out of every 5 tries, and only when moving left. Trying to do it to the right right is just too hard for me it seems. My personal record is 3 times in a row. It also just feels really abusive to the control pad. Count me among those who hope this never becomes an important thing to master, because if it does it will be a huge barrier to entry for the competitive scene.

ChopperDave on
  • Options
    Maz- wrote: »
    Master Fortress!!!

There is one for beating it without losing a life, one for beating it in under 12 minutes with Marth and one for beating it without customizations.

Really? I just assumed, since it seems like a distinct accomplishment and the 3DS version had a 9.0 challenge.

So you never actually need to beat Master Fortress for any reason?

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Master Fortress!!!

Really? I just assumed, since it seems like a distinct accomplishment and the 3DS version had a 9.0 challenge.

In case it wasn't clear: those challenges I listed need to be done at 9.0.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Count me among those who hope this never becomes an important thing to master, because if it does it will be a huge barrier to entry for the competitive scene.
    Yeah, this is my concern. I want more movement options to be figured out so that the game doesn't have to be played so defensively, but they won't help the cause if they are too difficult to learn.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Master Fortress!!!

Oh... fuck

I wouldn't mind so much if the mode didn't eat coins

Emperor_Z on
  • Options
    Wow, I've been doing that with Wii Fit Trainer for a couple weeks now so I can slide into her ftilt and improve her range.

I didn't know that was some special thing.

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    Master Fortress!!!

Oh... fuck

I wouldn't mind so much if the mode didn't eat coins

How many coins - I found that spectator mode is a p good way to get free monies while doing something else - just always bet max on the 0 record 10x multiplier team/player and win streak to riches.
    It will even reuse matches sometimes for free wins

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
This discussion has been closed.