As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Smash Bros. - Final Smash Direct Dec. 15th @ 2pm PST

• Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    I want to buy a GameCube controller adapter for Wii U. I don't have one, but a friend does, and I'm forced to use the 3DS as a controller because I absolutely can't get used to the Wii U gamepad or the Pro Controller (I guess I'd need more time with, but playing slowly and losing constantly because of it is incredibly disheartening).

Which one do you guys recommend? The Mayflash adapter seems to be the most popular, but one guy says there's an input delay when playing online (if I buy a Wii U in the future, I'll most likely want to play with the adapter).

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    Mayflash is fine from what I hear - everyone has input lag online, it's kind of a weird thing to point out about a controller adapter since it's not like it's the adapter interfering with your wifi's ping

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    I figured as much. I just wanted to be sure. I did think it was weird, too.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Yeah, there are tests somewhere that show that the Mayflash adapter is damn close to the Nintendo brand. I'd say if you're lucky enough to get a Nintendo adapter get one, but if you need one immediately the Mayflash one is practically the same.

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    I finally got around to adding everyone to my Wii U friends list, so if you get an invite from a DarkMecha83, that'd be me.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    RockinX wrote: »
    I want to buy a GameCube controller adapter for Wii U. I don't have one, but a friend does, and I'm forced to use the 3DS as a controller because I absolutely can't get used to the Wii U gamepad or the Pro Controller (I guess I'd need more time with, but playing slowly and losing constantly because of it is incredibly disheartening).

Which one do you guys recommend? The Mayflash adapter seems to be the most popular, but one guy says there's an input delay when playing online (if I buy a Wii U in the future, I'll most likely want to play with the adapter).

Input delay online is just a thing. Even with the official adapter i've had it. I also have a mayflash adapter, and as far as i can tell, there is not any more lag the official one. I even had some friends of mine play on it, and they said they couldn't tell a difference.

I still would like to get a couple turbo controllers to hook to it to do some test with it, but overall, i'd say you cant really go wrong with it. It also has good PC support, which might be a plus for some.

Also, if you REALLY want the nintendo one, since the 3rd parties have stepped out and seem to be performing on par with the official adapter, the prices for the nintendo one have come down. i've seen them for ~35-40, which is only about 2x what the mayflash is worth, so it shouldn't be super difficult to get a hold of if you really want it.

Just to really make sure, as for some reason I read some reviews saying the mayflashed worked fine off line, but lagged online, I hopped on for a couple tests. thankfully i found a few opponents who opted to stay around for a while, so i had both adapters plugged up and was switching between every couple of matches. One match, it did MAYBE feel like i got a bit more lag on one than the other, but the connection was not all there, and the guy wasn't exactly pressuring me to due super good. The next one the games were good enough that I didn't even swap off the Mayflash. I think the lesson here is: online can vary.

TBH, I'd pick up a mayflash if i were you, since you can get them for less than 20$ on amazon, and if you have prime its free 2-day shipping. You pretty much have nothing to lose. And if you find it isn't working well for you (make sure you at least test it online with someone who you KNOW you have a good connection to), you can always send it back at no cost to you, because amazon is awesome that way.

dav3yb on
    PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • Options
    dav3yb wrote: »
    RockinX wrote: »

Input delay online is just a thing. Even with the official adapter i've had it. I also have a mayflash adapter, and as far as i can tell, there is not any more lag the official one. I even had some friends of mine play on it, and they said they couldn't tell a difference.

I still would like to get a couple turbo controllers to hook to it to do some test with it, but overall, i'd say you cant really go wrong with it. It also has good PC support, which might be a plus for some.

Also, if you REALLY want the nintendo one, since the 3rd parties have stepped out and seem to be performing on par with the official adapter, the prices for the nintendo one have come down. i've seen them for ~35-40, which is only about 2x what the mayflash is worth, so it shouldn't be super difficult to get a hold of if you really want it.

Just to really make sure, as for some reason I read some reviews saying the mayflashed worked fine off line, but lagged online, I hopped on for a couple tests. thankfully i found a few opponents who opted to stay around for a while, so i had both adapters plugged up and was switching between every couple of matches. One match, it did MAYBE feel like i got a bit more lag on one than the other, but the connection was not all there, and the guy wasn't exactly pressuring me to due super good. The next one the games were good enough that I didn't even swap off the Mayflash. I think the lesson here is: online can vary.

TBH, I'd pick up a mayflash if i were you, since you can get them for less than 20$ on amazon, and if you have prime its free 2-day shipping. You pretty much have nothing to lose. And if you find it isn't working well for you (make sure you at least test it online with someone who you KNOW you have a good connection to), you can always send it back at no cost to you, because amazon is awesome that way.

Thanks for the elaborate reply! I went with Mayflash in the end. I don't have enough funds to justify paying the $35-40 range they ask for the official ones, and since Mayflash is nearly identical, I can't go wrong with it. You just made me feel even more sure that I made the right choice :)

• Options
    Well that was a weird glitch: I had trouble connecting to a game twice in a row, then when I got in I couldn't choose a character or control profile, but it said the usual press start to whatever so I did and my Wii U instantly locked hard with a repeating tone.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Heeey, any of you nerds got a spare 3DS code? I'm kinda curious to see if I can get in on this Mewtwo DLC offer despite my region difference (I got Wii U Smash on my UK account, just bought a US 3DS) - it probably won't add up to equal the DLC if I do get a code, but it'd be nice if it did! ;P

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caAUenQdX0o

Tournaments will resume soonish. I'm a bit busy these days.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Well, good a reason as any to stay in practice.

Finally got my win loss ratio above 40% online, and more importantly, I think I'm finally closing some of my weaknesses.

My air game is improving!

• Options
    So in the melee realms... 20XX tournament edition. seems interesting. Mod for melee, similar to project m a bit, in that it changes some of the levels (freezes certain ones so they dont change) and adds some additional ability to the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCGOMFNnbX8

hope this isn't against the rules or anything, seeing as how you need an actual copy of the game for the mod to work.

and speaking of melee. if anyone happens to have old copies lying around that they dont intend to use any more, feel free to shoot me a message. i might want to buy it.

PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • Options
    As the mod doesn't give the base game away (without the publisher's blessing) then it's fine.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Glad to hear the tournaments will be coming back, I might actually have time to participate in them now! With the thread slowing way down I was beginning to think people got bored and moved on or something.

• Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    I assume things will pick up again when Mewtwo is released

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    I assume things will pick up again when Mewtwo is released

And then those of us who stayed in practice will reap the rewards. Mewtwo after Mewtwo on For Glory with no idea how to handle things.

Oh, had a pretty good match on For Glory tonight. First time against Wii Fit Trainer that I can remember in that, and definitely the first time I went against male Wii Fit Trainer. Spent the first life getting my ass thoroughly kicked. Guy dodged right through everything I had. Only got a couple hits, and he was healing those off by saluting the sun and breathing deep. But after I died, I started to to actually land hits, eventually got a kill and started getting ahead on percents. Survived to sudden death.

Robin is really good at sudden death, assuming the other person isn't just holding shield and hoping they get lucky with the bob-omb drops.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    hmmmm, so I can't seem to find my Wii U Smash Bros case, which means I can't register it for a free Mewtwo.

That is quite sad :(

I'll put one last attempt into finding it, but if not, does anyone here happen to have an extra key they don't plan on registering, and wouldn't mind sharing? Please let me know, if so.

If not, then I guess.... @Dark Raven X, if no one else has come to you, I may end up having an extra 3DS code I won't be needing.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    @kime I did actually get a 3DS code... but it didn't work in my EU Club Nintendo account. If yours is EU, I'd gladly take it off yer hands!

If you're in NA... I'm planning on going to GameStop in a bit, asking if I could take a few of the codes, since they'll be expiring tomorrow. If they say no, maybe I can at least surreptitiously sneak a Wii U code for you. >:D

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    hmmmm, so I can't seem to find my Wii U Smash Bros case, which means I can't register it for a free Mewtwo.

That is quite sad :(

I'll put one last attempt into finding it, but if not, does anyone here happen to have an extra key they don't plan on registering, and wouldn't mind sharing? Please let me know, if so.

If not, then I guess.... @Dark Raven X, if no one else has come to you, I may end up having an extra 3DS code I won't be needing.

Yo I've got your back.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    kime I did actually get a 3DS code... but it didn't work in my EU Club Nintendo account. If yours is EU, I'd gladly take it off yer hands!

If you're in NA... I'm planning on going to GameStop in a bit, asking if I could take a few of the codes, since they'll be expiring tomorrow. If they say no, maybe I can at least surreptitiously sneak a Wii U code for you. >:D

Mine's NA too, so that wouldn't work :(

But it looks like @Rainfall would be so awesome to make it moot anyways :D. Thanks! I'm still hoping I'm going to come home and find it right under my nose this whole time, so I wouldn't need yours, but I'm not super hopeful. Chugging it back and forth to and from work/home appears to have caused a casualty :(

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    And once again, in the realm of smash modding. Project M 3.6 trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcJHZCuaG84

This is looking really damn good.

• Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular

I've always wondered how companies handle mods like this. It looks like they've ripped assets from other games, unless all those graphics/textures/sounds were already included on the Brawl disc or they made it themselves (like Roy's sounds, was that on the Brawl disc or did they rip it from Melee?). I know, for example, Generations for Quake 2 was shut down by id software because they were including a bunch of assets from their other games and essentially giving away that content for free.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    ChaosandQuietChaosandQuiet Registered User regular
    Does anyone have a NA wii u code anymore? Figured I would ask since the last chance to use the things is almost upon us. Hoping to be able to use Mewtwo.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 5456-0772-1797
  • Options
    McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    People who follow Smash communities:

Has Falco gotten popular recently? I've played a few rounds this last week so I'm not completely rusty when Mewtwo drops and all but two of then were Falco.

Weird coincidence or is he a new tier favorite?

• Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    McFlynn wrote: »

Has Falco gotten popular recently? I've played a few rounds this last week so I'm not completely rusty when Mewtwo drops and all but two of then were Falco.

Sounds like a weird coincidence to me. I haven't seen anyone using him or heard anyone talking about him around here, nor have I seen him in any recent tournament videos (not that I keep up on that as much as I used to).

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Nintendo Direct tomorrow / the day after tomorrow, so get ready for the Mewtwo trailer and maybe possibly hopefully even the release of Mewtwo.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    I guess there was some rumor of a leak saying he'd be out on I think the 9th

Ah here it was: http://mynintendonews.com/2015/03/30/rumour-nintendo-direct-on-april-1st/

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    I guess there was some rumor of a leak saying he'd be out on I think the 9th

Ah here it was: http://mynintendonews.com/2015/03/30/rumour-nintendo-direct-on-april-1st/

The guy who's responsible for that "leak" has stated that it's fake.

Nonetheless, Mewtwo is pretty much guaranteed to be part of the Direct. Sakurai recently said that he's all but finished and today is the last day to claim the DLC. The timing just fits.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Let's see, what all have we been promised... Mewtwo, tournament mode and the Miiverse stage.

A part of me is holding out hope for other new surprises but I'm trying hard not to get my hopes up.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    Dunno about you guys, but I'm pretty psyched for anything Smash related in tomorrow's direct, even if it is just Mewtwo footage and a release date.

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Cokomon wrote: »
    Dunno about you guys, but I'm pretty psyched for anything Smash related in tomorrow's direct, even if it is just Mewtwo footage and a release date.

I'm hoping for an announcement that the DLC will be available immediately after the direct.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options

I've always seen him in For Glory as one of the regulars. I mean, he's not necessarily the most popular, but he's always been up there.

Mostly, they're not that good. Block or dodge their first charge, and you can quickly take control of the match.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

I've always seen him in For Glory as one of the regulars. I mean, he's not necessarily the most popular, but he's always been up there.

Mostly, they're not that good. Block or dodge their first charge, and you can quickly take control of the match.

I almost never saw him before I took a break from Smash. Weirdness all around.

McFlynn on
  • Options
    ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
    I've been running into a ton of Villager players on For Glory lately. I'm not sure where his popularity spurt is coming from. Maybe the projectile spammers are getting tired of playing Link?

3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
  • Options
    I've been running into a ton of Villager players on For Glory lately. I'm not sure where his popularity spurt is coming from. Maybe the projectile spammers are getting tired of playing Link?

I doubt it. Projectile Villagers tend to have to move around more than Projectile Links. Too much effort.

• Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular

These guys are putting Sakurai and his team to shame

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Ov3rcharge wrote: »

Eh, that's debatable.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

Eh, that's debatable.

Yeah I'm about as big of a fan of Project M as they come, and I wouldn't go that far. That said, their April Fools video is pretty impressive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOuXKCvhTvw

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

Eh, that's debatable.

For the sake of everyone's sanity, no, it's not.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    LUCAS IS BACK

YL9WnCY.png
This discussion has been closed.