As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Canadian Politics]: New Liberal Cabinet Sworn In

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Disco11 wrote: »
    The topic os sex ed was being discussed earlier. My Daughter was in 6th grade last year and had a class size of about 30 kids. In Alberta you can be excused from sex ed class if your parents object for any reason. 23 of the 30 of them took that option.

Every male student left. This thought scares the hell out of me as a father.

Luckily, we have a smart kid and have doubled down on discussions about sexuality and responsibility at home.

Parents are the worst. DOWN WITH MOTHER'S DAY! And with @Disco11!

Nova_C wrote: »
    El Skid wrote: »
    Aegis wrote: »
    Harper government continues to provide endless work for constitutional lawyers and political science junkies, this time via: Ottawa Threatening Hate Charges Against Those who Boycott Israel
    The government's intention was made clear in a response to inquiries from CBC News about statements by federal ministers of a "zero tolerance" approach to groups participating in a loose coalition called Boycott, Divest and Sanction (BDS), which was begun in 2006 at the request of Palestinian non-governmental organizations.

Asked to explain what zero tolerance means, and what is being done to enforce it, a spokesperson for Public Safety Minister Steven Blaney replied, four days later, with a detailed list of Canada's updated hate laws, noting that Canada has one of the most comprehensive sets of such laws "anywhere in the world."

"I can tell you that Canada has one of the most comprehensive sets of laws against hate crime anywhere in the world," wrote Sirois.

She highlighted what she termed "hate propaganda" provisions in the Criminal Code criminalizing the promotion of hatred against an identifiable group, and further noted that "identifiable group" now includes any section of the public distinguished by "among other characteristics, religion or national or ethnic origin."

She also referred to Criminal Code provisions requiring that a judge consider hate, bias or prejudice when sentencing an offender.

"We will not allow hate crimes to undermine our way of life, which is based on diversity and inclusion," she concluded.

There's effectively no way that such a policy survives a Charter challenge on the basis of freedom of expression.

Does....does this mean the government is guilty of a hate crime for sanctioning Iran?

I think the intent is that the government would be guilty of a hate crime for sanctioning Israel. Iran is fair game, because Iran

Well, yes, but they are specifying national origin. So if you can't say anything critical of Israel, then it can be successfully argued that you can't say anything critical of Iran.

Obviously this would never hold up in court, but on the face of it, the government is saying themselves that they are committing a hate crime.

I hate Conservatives. (Also, parents: see above.)

Come get me, Harper.

hippofant on
  • Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Careful, he's a big PA fan, reads the site and will likely address you in the house of commons.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    She highlighted what she termed "hate propaganda" provisions in the Criminal Code criminalizing the promotion of hatred against an identifiable group, and further noted that "identifiable group" now includes any section of the public distinguished by "among other characteristics, religion or national or ethnic origin."

How would Israel be considered a "section of the public"? I would say that would encompass Israelis in Canada, but the government or state?

In any case, section 318 deals only with genocide and advocacy of killing the target group. That's not going to fly
    319 (2) is the broadest, but has a defense in "(3)(c) if the statements were relevant to any subject of public interest, the discussion of which was for the public benefit, and if on reasonable grounds he believed them to be true; or" which shouldn't be too hard to argue, which leaves only "319. (1) Every one who, by communicating statements in any public place, incites hatred against any identifiable group where such incitement is likely to lead to a breach of the peace" - but as has been demonstrated, these protests do not lead to a breach of the peace

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Does anybody know where Harper's support of Israel to frankly insane levels comes from? It's something I've always been curious about. That's not a necessary or even usual part of global conservative agendas as far as I know. Does it come from close political allies or personal friends of his or something?

I mean, I know there's a segment of the population that believes you're anti-Semetic if you don't rubber-stamp approve of all actions taken by the state of Israel, but Harper is an apocalyptic evangelical Christian. What the what?

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Evangelical Christians are often very pro-Israel, at least here in the USA.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    No see, the new hate speech thing is step one, step two is Harper declaring himself part of Israel and now it's illegal to insult him

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Phyphor wrote: »

How would Israel be considered a "section of the public"? I would say that would encompass Israelis in Canada, but the government or state?

In any case, section 318 deals only with genocide and advocacy of killing the target group. That's not going to fly
    319 (2) is the broadest, but has a defense in "(3)(c) if the statements were relevant to any subject of public interest, the discussion of which was for the public benefit, and if on reasonable grounds he believed them to be true; or" which shouldn't be too hard to argue, which leaves only "319. (1) Every one who, by communicating statements in any public place, incites hatred against any identifiable group where such incitement is likely to lead to a breach of the peace" - but as has been demonstrated, these protests do not lead to a breach of the peace

Your error is that you expected our government to actually read its own laws.

Does anybody know where Harper's support of Israel to frankly insane levels comes from? It's something I've always been curious about. That's not a necessary or even usual part of global conservative agendas as far as I know. Does it come from close political allies or personal friends of his or something?

I mean, I know there's a segment of the population that believes you're anti-Semetic if you don't rubber-stamp approve of all actions taken by the state of Israel, but Harper is an apocalyptic evangelical Christian. What the what?

The Jewish vote is a major demographic in several urban and suburban seats in the Toronto and Montreal metropolitan areas. My riding, Thornhill, basically goes for whichever party is most pro-Israel.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Harper is a republican. It comes from the same place.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular

As a matter of fact, the dominionist types are the ones most likely to be frothing-at-the-mouth supporters of Israel, because Israel must exist as a nation if it's to play its part in the final battle. They don't give a shit about the actual Israelis probably getting damned as a result if their belief system is true, they just see Israel's existence as being on a checklist that needs to be marked off before the end begins.

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »

As a matter of fact, the dominionist types are the ones most likely to be frothing-at-the-mouth supporters of Israel, because Israel must exist as a nation if it's to play its part in the final battle. They don't give a shit about the actual Israelis probably getting damned as a result if their belief system is true, they just see Israel's existence as being on a checklist that needs to be marked off before the end begins.

You're right, that makes sense.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    I am happy to say that in some local Canadian politics, my lady love, Jeneva Touchie, was elected as a member of legislature of the Ucluelet First Nation - Yuułuʔiłʔatḥ Government.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    https://ca.news.yahoo.com/albertans-surprised-hopeful-vaulting-ndp-142730577.html

This is the part that interested me the most:
    Support for the Progressive Conservative Party collapsed, with more than half of those who voted PC in the last vote abandoning the party — 31 per cent to the NDP and 17 per cent to the Wildrose Party, the poll suggests.

That's a hell of a collapse, and shows that a lot of the votes for the provincial PCs were habit more than anything. Not nearly as many ideologues as some (*cough*Richy*cough) thought.
    I'm just playin', Richy! <3

Nova_C on
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    https://ca.news.yahoo.com/albertans-surprised-hopeful-vaulting-ndp-142730577.html

This is the part that interested me the most:
    Support for the Progressive Conservative Party collapsed, with more than half of those who voted PC in the last vote abandoning the party — 31 per cent to the NDP and 17 per cent to the Wildrose Party, the poll suggests.

That's a hell of a collapse, and shows that a lot of the votes for the provincial PCs were habit more than anything. Not nearly as many ideologues as some (*cough*Richy*cough) thought.
    I'm just playin', Richy! <3

I think the PC's under redford garnered a lot of ill will with their entitled and arrogant attitude. Albertans have some faults but lazy is not one of them and when they are told that they need to look in the mirror by a party that clearly is ripping people off, they tend to react.

The NDP did a wonderful job of cutting off fear mongering at the pass also.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    Here's my prediction, though:

Oil prices continue to remain 'low' (Quotes because the price is back to the same level it was just a few years ago, so it's not low, it's just not crazy high) and Alberta's economy is cooling. The PCs budget for 2015 had a big deficit and tax increases. That budget is already passed. My prediction is that there's going to be a bunch of people saying the low oil prices and tax increases are the NDP's fault.

Gonna have to get my ammo belt of facts ready because I am ready for war when it comes to revisionism of that kind.

• Options
    CorporateGoonCorporateGoon Registered User regular

Oil prices continue to remain 'low' (Quotes because the price is back to the same level it was just a few years ago, so it's not low, it's just not crazy high) and Alberta's economy is cooling. The PCs budget for 2015 had a big deficit and tax increases. That budget is already passed. My prediction is that there's going to be a bunch of people saying the low oil prices and tax increases are the NDP's fault.

Gonna have to get my ammo belt of facts ready because I am ready for war when it comes to revisionism of that kind.

The PCs' budget didn't pass. They presented it on March 26, then the Assembly immediately adjourned and never came back.

• Options
    DiorinixDiorinix Registered User regular

The PCs' budget didn't pass. They presented it on March 26, then the Assembly immediately adjourned and never came back.

Exactly. In fact, because the budget wasn't passed and only presented, school districts were going to be forced to finalize their own budgets by June 1st based on the not-passed funding allocation. Fortunately, Notley put an end to that nonsense, and extended their deadline by a month to accommodate the delay caused by the election, swearing in a new cabinet, and passing a new budget .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mmmmm....toasty.
  • Options
    Ohhhh. The article I read made it sound like the budget had passed.

Well, then it won't be long before we find out what the NDP plan to do.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Man wins lawsuit against Toronto police board after 'carding' incident

K. Can we just stop now, please, thanks?

Advising resistance to police’s carding efforts grows more tempting: James:
    Ask them to arrest you or leave you alone.

That’s the advice I’ve contemplated giving to young black men who are the target of discriminatory police practice of carding.

You are not a criminal. You have done nothing wrong — except Walking While Black. The approaching officer does not accuse you of a crime. The officer doesn’t inform you of an investigation or that you are a suspect?

Don’t stop. Don’t talk.

My sons talked me out of it.

“You’ll get these kids shot,” my law-graduate son argued, already cynical.

:cry:

hippofant on
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    I'm really glad that the PCs called an election so soon after the Budget.

1. Because it didn't get actually get passed, so now the new govt isn't stuck with it
    2. Calling an election right after a budget pushed some votes away from the PCs, because no one ever likes the budget. It's impossible to not have people mad at you after a new budget.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    Bruce%2005%2015%20RGB%202015_0.jpg

Harper was in Truro, Nova Scotia yesterday, stumping for the MP there. Some accounts are saying the number of anti-Harper protesters present outnumbered supporters at the rally.

Why was he there? Basically, the MP there used to be a guy named Bill Casey. He was an MP for the Cons, but voted against a Conservative bill that he considered harmful to the region. Harper didn't like that, and kicked him out of the caucus. Bill remained in parliament as an Independent, and was then re-elected as such. Then he retired, and last election, the riding went back to the CPC. Now, Bill is probably going to run for the Liberals in that riding, and by many accounts, he'll win. Hence Harper's "totally not campaigning" stop there.

I think Peter McKay is going to be very lonely in a sea of Red and Orange out this way come October (and as far as I can tell, people in that riding are mostly just voting for him because his dad was a popular MP there decades ago).

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Sometimes I think the CBC is a bit more careful than they need to be when they're selecting the stories to cover. The first three stories on the news today were:
    1. Waco, Texas on lockdown after biker gangs got into a brawl that escalated into shootings.
    2. Barack Obama stops US police from using hand grenades, .50+ caliber bullets, and tanks to enforce the law.
    3. Meanwhile, in Alberta, a guy was arrested for driving a golf cart down the road while drunk. But he was super drunk, seriously, they took his license away for three days and everything.

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Sometimes I think the CBC is a bit more careful than they need to be when they're selecting the stories to cover. The first three stories on the news today were:
    1. Waco, Texas on lockdown after biker gangs got into a brawl that escalated into shootings.
    2. Barack Obama stops US police from using hand grenades, .50+ caliber bullets, and tanks to enforce the law.
    3. Meanwhile, in Alberta, a guy was arrested for driving a golf cart down the road while drunk. But he was super drunk, seriously, they took his license away for three days and everything.

In regards to number 3, Jim Prentice has very good reasons to drown out his sorrows nowadays.

• Options
    1505154rchr.jpg

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    I would be ammused to no ends if the NDP actually pivoted into a minority government with the liberals as opposition while the conservatives got to eat shit.

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    I would be ammused to no ends if the NDP actually pivoted into a minority government with the liberals as opposition while the conservatives got to eat shit.

Given the FPTP system thats unlikely.

One of the reasons the NDP did so well in Alberta is they were a single Left wing party against two right wing parties. The Wildeose and PCs split the right vote to an extent (though there was obviously more going on then that).

The Federal conservatives get the benefit of that vote splitting, unfortunately, as NDP and Liberals split left wimg votes federally.

Not that its impossible for the PCs to come third..,,Just difficult to pull off.

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    So I haven't heard much about it since the last federal election but how have the new NDP people been working out in Quebec? There was a lot of news about the young people, some non French speakers, etc. and I was wondering if it is just business as usual now or if anyone has managed to stick their foot in it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    No-one's stuck their foot up their asses yet.
    I don't foresee major changes, especially after the PQ was destroyed in the provincial election.

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Oh PEI, your elections still remains just so adorable

• Options
    quovadis13 wrote: »

How do ties get resolved in other provinces/federally? Re-vote?

• Options
    Oh, they have their ways;
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yukon_general_election,_1996
    Because of the tie vote, Robert Bruce was declared elected after his name was drawn from a hat.

Also, yeah, everything about PEI's election managed to be just so delightful. They know exactly what's up.

• Options
    quovadis13 wrote: »

any time anyone ever questions if their single vote means anything, link them this

• Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    I'm sorry.

I couldn't make it all the way through that.

I was too angry and disgusted.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    Federal polling analysis from EKOS: A New Normal

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    I hope I hope I hope this trend holds until October.

sig.gif
  • Options
    hippofant wrote: »

I know they probably have their reasons, but I still don't really understand why people would vote for the Green party. Great to see the NDP doing so well though.

• Options

I know they probably have their reasons, but I still don't really understand why people would vote for the Green party.

It's political hipsterism.

• Options
    Gaddez wrote: »

I know they probably have their reasons, but I still don't really understand why people would vote for the Green party.

It's political hipsterism.

This would be funnier if it wasn't true. B.C. has a ton of it, that whole Cascadia movement.

• Options
    Like really, it's 70% of the reason why people support the green party; they feel that the other parties are long in the tooth/all the same and think that voting for the green's (who have never held any signifignt influence anywhere) are some sort of pure ideal.

15% Are super eco dudes who think we need to only think about how things effect nature; you will know them by the amount of GORP stuck in their teeth)

10% are doing it as a protest vote because no one remembers the rhino party.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    I was thinking that, but I didn't want to sound too dickish. But yeah, that does honestly seem like it's the case most of the time.

If even just a few of those people actually end up voting NDP or Liberal, which is certainly possible, then that poll gets even more interesting (which I guess also shows up in the CPC dropping from 39% to 28%).

TubularLuggage on