As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

All-New, All-Different [Superhero Thread]: Howard the Duck gets a new hat!

Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
edited June 2015 in Social Entropy++
So Marvel is going to be spilling the beans on their upcoming, post-Secret Wars relaunch in an "All-New, All-Different Marvel Previews" print magazine set to arrive in comic shops on July 1, but in the meantime they've been releasing info and promos.  The biggest thing they've emphasized is that it is not a reboot.

So far they've put out some images of prominent characters from the relaunch  The first is fairly predictable, and seems to be building off the pre-Secret Wars status quo
5571d408cc355.jpg
(Left to Right: Spider-Gwen, Spider-Man, Vision, Ultimate Spider-Man, Coulson, Spider-Woman, Black Panther, Captain America (Sam Wilson), Steve Rogers (Still Old), Iron Man, new Thor, Ant-Man, Ms. Marvel and Red Wolf.)

The Second is a LOT more interesting
5571d44e88fbe.jpg]
(Left to Right: Dr. Spectrum (Last surviving member of the Justice League analog known as the Great Society), Rocket Raccoon, Hyperion (likely the Hyperion from Hickman's Avengers run), Daredevil, Dr. Strange (Battle Axe!!), Citizen V (Most known for being Baron Zemo's secret identity when he created the Thunderbolts), the Thing (sporting Guardians of the Galaxy duds), Karnak (of the Inhumans; Not Doom), Inferno (from the recent Inhumans ongoing), Iron Man again, Medusa, Wolverine (X-23), Star-Lord and Old Man Logan.

Also they recently spilled the beans about the new Invincible Iron Man; it'll be written by Bendis and drawn by Marquez, and the person taking up the armor will be
Tony Stark.
Invincible-Iron-Man-1-Cover-88069.jpg

More updates to come, including a new Hulk and more about the mutants.

Also, DC is doing some stuff and Superhero movies are coming out, whatever. I can't sleep and I need to leave for work in three hours. :razz:

Undead Scottsman on

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    Catching up on agents of SHIELD. Up to episode 9 of season 2.
    I am predicting that this is how they introduce Inhumans. The blue alien that makes the serum, I called as a Kree before the reveal, and by the time they figure out they are looking for a city, it totally makes sense that Reina and the Chinese lady that stays young are possibly the first Inhumans. Maybe Skye as well.

Blake does not agree, but I am absolutely willing to bet I'm right. It's kinda awesome knowing there's an Inhumans movie in the works and it looks like this show is setting up for it in a big way.

If there ANYTHING MISTY AT ALL that appears in the next few episodes I am going to squee. And accuse Blake of benig a fake geek guy.

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    So Talking About Comics, a site I have literally never heard of before, says the new Hulk is going to be
    Amadeus Cho and the reason people are gonna freak out when his silhouette is because he's not gonna be all muscle-y and huge, he will remain scrawny and his solo book will be by Greg Pak and Frank Cho.

I am incredibly skeptical and probably wouldn't buy it because I don't want to support Frank Cho but that sounds interesting

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Man, I was sold right up until the end of that sentence when you mentioned Frank Cho

• Options
    Exactly my reaction

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH I WAS RIGHT

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Hey, remember Age of Ultron?

It just occurred to me that I don't, really

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Man, I was sold right up until the end of that sentence when you mentioned Frank Cho

That writer writing that character sells me 100% it would not matter who is drawing.

And while Cho is an asshat I also think he draws good so I will be totally ok.

Besides Cho will be off that book after 4 issues for someone who can keep a schedule.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Balefuego wrote: »

That writer writing that character sells me 100% it would not matter who is drawing.

Besides Cho will be off that book after 4 issues for someone who can keep a schedule.
    I look forward to buying it after he leaves

I agree he is talented artist and Pak is a wonderful writer but I don't want to support Frank Cho at all after his horrible horrible response during the whole bullshit with his sketches

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Hey, remember Age of Ultron?

It just occurred to me that I don't, really

The film or the event

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    I remember the movie just fine, it was fun! Not as groundbreaking and long-lasting in prominence as Avengers but pretty good

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    I remember age of ultron, i really loved it.

• Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Balefuego wrote: »

I look forward to buying it after he leaves

I agree he is talented artist and Pak is a wonderful writer but I don't want to support Frank Cho at all after his horrible horrible response during the whole bullshit with his sketches

Fair, but to me supporting Pak and that character not to mention
    an all Asian American creative team launching what will now be Marvel's most prominent Asian American character ever

far far outweighs that

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    So I've been reading Chris Sim's articles of the IDW Transformers books and he just recently finished reading Vol 4 of More than Meets the Eye.

It's so great seeing people new to the series genuinely enjoy the books as much as I do. Can't wait to see what he thinks of vol 5.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Heatwave wrote: »
    So I've been reading Chris Sim's articles of the IDW Transformers books and he just recently finished reading Vol 4 of More than Meets the Eye.

It's so great seeing people new to the series genuinely enjoy the books as much as I do. Can't wait to see what he thinks of vol 5.

also great: noted Transformers scholar Antimatter gets namedropped in that article

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Speaking of Transformers, images of Hasbro's SDCC 2015 exclusive Devastator were released in late May

pkV8pRh.jpg

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    Man

That is a cool devastator

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    I love when the new TF toys look exactly like they stepped off the pages of MTMTE

the Voyager-Class Springer toy is incredible in that regard

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Heatwave wrote: »

also great: noted Transformers scholar Antimatter gets namedropped in that article
    Admittedly I have not read all her Transformer articles, but I have read that the one mentioned in the article and her interview with Alex Milne where he talked about his support of female transformer.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    The fact that Rachel's gotten to the tier of ascended superfan is pretty awesome

• Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    Not to mention she's a great writer!

• Options
    I am incredibly happy for anti to have become successful doing something she loves to do

That's super rad and she deserves it

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Man, so sad that Devastator can't be ordered online. One day I'll make it to San Diego Comic Con, but not for a few more years.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Speaking of which, my 2 year old insisted on sitting in my lap and having me read The Trial of Jean Grey to him because he saw me reading it. A young comic book fan is in the making! Note, I made up words as I read along because it's a little too heavy for a 2 year old.

On that note, any suggestions for young kids?

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Speaking of which, my 2 year old insisted on sitting in my lap and having me read The Trial of Jean Grey to him because he saw me reading it. A young comic book fan is in the making! Note, I made up words as I read along because it's a little too heavy for a 2 year old.

Tiny Titans

• Options
    Keith wrote: »

Tiny Titans

Yay, got this on hold at my library. Any more? Because my library is crazy good about having trades in stock and ordering them if I request them.

• Options
    I also plowed through the first two trades of SAGA. Why did no one ever tell me how good this series was?

• Options
    Bone would be a good thing to read together when he's a bit older

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    hailtothekalehailtothekale Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Owly is great for very young kids. The lack of actual dialogue means you can tailor the story to how the child will best understand it, and then as they get older they can piece it together themselves.

Art and Franco's run on Magic of Shazam with Mike Norton is also one of my favorite kids titles, but I don't think their entire run was collected.

hailtothekale on
  • Options
    And my library had all of those. Reserved!

• Options
    Bone is one of the best self contained comics ever written, and is totally ok for.. I dunno, 8 year olds up?

• Options
    Yeah, I think Bone's a bit too old yet, but I will read it with him some day.

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Bone is the best comic ever.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    @DoctorArch the first trade of She-Hulk might be fun to read together! Not 100% sure how it would hold up for a two year old, but the art is colorful and simplistic and the story mostly features her beating up doombots, there's very little scary violence.
    Also a monkey!

I would not refer the second trade to a two year old, though!

• Options
    Rainfall wrote: »
    DoctorArch the first trade of She-Hulk might be fun to read together! Not 100% sure how it would hold up for a two year old, but the art is colorful and simplistic and the story mostly features her beating up doombots, there's very little scary violence.
    Also a monkey!

Wait, new She-Hulk by Charles Soule or old She-Hulk by Dan Slott?

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Rainfall wrote: »
    DoctorArch the first trade of She-Hulk might be fun to read together! Not 100% sure how it would hold up for a two year old, but the art is colorful and simplistic and the story mostly features her beating up doombots, there's very little scary violence.
    Also a monkey!

Wait, new She-Hulk by Charles Soule or old She-Hulk by Dan Slott?

New Soule She-Hulk.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

Look for stuff branded Marvel Adventures. That was a really good line of all-ages comics Marvel put out for a while in the mid-late 2000s.

There was also a series of Power Pack miniseries for kids around that time that are good stuff.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    So Talking About Comics, a site I have literally never heard of before, says the new Hulk is going to be
    Amadeus Cho and the reason people are gonna freak out when his silhouette is because he's not gonna be all muscle-y and huge, he will remain scrawny and his solo book will be by Greg Pak and Frank Cho.

I am incredibly skeptical and probably wouldn't buy it because I don't want to support Frank Cho but that sounds interesting

I'd be 110% behind him as the new iron man, but as the new hulk? eeeeeeeeh

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Also, by the same guys who did Tiny Titans and The Magic of SHAZAM, Superman Family Adventures.

Also G-Man, by Chris Giarrusso.

• Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    @DoctorArch I'd say Mouse Guard is pretty awesome too

• Options
    manjimanji Registered User regular
    Seconding superman family adventures. I may shoot for reading my kids some of my usagi yojimbo trades in the near future too.

This discussion has been closed.