As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dishonored 2 | Choke a bro | Billie Lurk Standalone DLC Coming Sept 15

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular

This right here is some Good Internet. Even if somehow you were in the Dishonored thread with no interest in the game at all, the link contains reference to an amazing sounding book called 'A Burglar's Guide to the City' AND a blog with lots of cool city stuff in it. People take note.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Burglars take note.

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Man that was some pretty underwhelming gameplay to show. Some awkward blocking and sliding and repeat drop kills on robots that don't seem very threatening? It's cool that they take more than one, though.

Are you invisible when doing the shadow spider thing, or just harder to detect?

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    That trailer was made by having a youtube-guy messing around for a while and putting some moments together. https://www.reddit.com/r/dishonored/comments/4y5ey9/dishonored_2_gamescom_stream_including_new/d6lohv9

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    I don't care if that guy was just dinking around, I am so hyped for this game.

It could honestly be exactly the same as the first with just a story for her and I am still sold.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Playing the original Dishonored without using blink, no powers or charms was so great. It was amazing to see how they designed levels so well, you can get around them without blink in some surprising and amazing ways. It was actually quite interesting just how much they thought about "What if the player doesn't have blink to get here?". Only two places in the entire game even require blink to get through them: During the ascent up the watergate and to escape from the vat you get thrown into later.

I'm super excited for Dishonored 2, because you can explicitly tell the outsider to go fuck himself. That's exactly what Corvo is going to do when I play it through again as him - naturally my first playthrough will be as Emily. Because <3 Emily.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Now, if only I could tell the Outsider to stop being coy and give me everything.

• Options
    Also, I am so happy they are continuing on the story from the excellent DLC they released for Dishonored. SO EXCITED.

That final way you can solve the Brigmore Witches without killing anyone was great. It's also essential if you want a ghost rating for that mission in the DLC as well.

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    I'm hoping the story is noticeably (not hugely) different for both characters, but even with just a different set of powers that's great replay, considering I did three runs minimum in the first game.
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Only two places in the entire game even require blink to get through them: During the ascent up the watergate and to escape from the vat you get thrown into later.

Not a counterpoint since it's still a magic power, but you can also get out of the vat by possessing a rat. A vat rat, if you will.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    I had no powers or charms, with the goal not to even use blink ever. Unfortunately, I could not get out of there any other way than using blink.

Also apparently Dishonored 2 has more nuance in its chaos system. Certain enemies and even NPCs will have more/less chaos associated with their murder. For example, a guard might be in your way but he's actually doing some public good on the side like donating to the poor or just being a solid citizen. He contributes much more to chaos, than the guard who's side hobby is being bastard man to everyone he knows. This was done in response to players using the heart on NPCs, then deciding who to murder based on what the heart says about them. So if you want a "Who does the heart feel deserves to die playthrough?" you absolutely can do that! The game will also react appropriately, because genuine assholes don't affect chaos as much if you kill them. I also read there is a "Very High" chaos ending, which has me intrigued as to what kind of bastard you need to be to get that.

Plus there are more than a binary High/Low chaos ending, with Very High Chaos, Chaos, Neutral and Low Chaos (I don't know if there are permutations between any of those). I'm curious how that will work out in the actual game.

• Options
    They said that the ending is made up of four? mixed and matched parts.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure I made it up the watergate without blink, but that was back around release, so I'm not 100% on that. I definitely remember having to use blink to escape the vat, though.

• Options
    I'm pretty sure I made it up the watergate without blink, but that was back around release, so I'm not 100% on that. I definitely remember having to use blink to escape the vat, though.

You cannot get up the vat without blink on a no powers run. You CAN get up the watergate without using blink if you have agility, because the jump height allows you to get to the ledge in question. But without agility, you must use blink. I tried for about an hour to do so, then I looked up other no powers runs (AKA Mostly Flesh and Steel achievement/trophy runs) to discover that you do absolutely have to use blink to get up there.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I had no powers or charms, with the goal not to even use blink ever. Unfortunately, I could not get out of there any other way than using blink.

Also apparently Dishonored 2 has more nuance in its chaos system. Certain enemies and even NPCs will have more/less chaos associated with their murder. For example, a guard might be in your way but he's actually doing some public good on the side like donating to the poor or just being a solid citizen. He contributes much more to chaos, than the guard who's side hobby is being bastard man to everyone he knows. This was done in response to players using the heart on NPCs, then deciding who to murder based on what the heart says about them. So if you want a "Who does the heart feel deserves to die playthrough?" you absolutely can do that! The game will also react appropriately, because genuine assholes don't affect chaos as much if you kill them. I also read there is a "Very High" chaos ending, which has me intrigued as to what kind of bastard you need to be to get that.

Plus there are more than a binary High/Low chaos ending, with Very High Chaos, Chaos, Neutral and Low Chaos (I don't know if there are permutations between any of those). I'm curious how that will work out in the actual game.

I totally killed or spared people based the judgement of a heart reanimated by otherworldly magic given to me by an extradimensional being on a whim for his own entertainment.

In retrospect, perhaps I should have exercised a bit more personal judgement.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I kind of liked the more prosaic chaos system of the first game. More corpses > more rats > more disease > more chaos. But if the new system means more heart investigation then I'm all for it. I won't be killing anybody anyway.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    I always found it kind of funny that the alternate solutions to just straight up stabbing a target to death was like...waaaaaaayy worse in hilariously dark ways.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Isn't Delilah the antagonist from the first games DLC?

• Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Yep!

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    And the rumors of her death/banishment were greatly exaggerated, it seems.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    Old Outsider voice was better.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Frei wrote: »

Or she made a deal. Which means we may be screwed

• Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Ungh, fucking Garrett, man! I could watch that trailer over and over.

Also, originally I wasn't sure what people were talking about with the Outsider's voice being different, because I had only seen the announcement trailer, which Billy Lush did. This was the first one I've seen with the new voice and ugh, yeah the old one was definitely better. No idea why they bothered changing it, especially after getting him to do the announcement trailer.

Also, I'm sure everyone noticed the "Her Majesty Delilah Kaldwin" banner. I wonder what that's about... I mean, that is kind of related to her original plan in the DLC, except she was going to just inhabit Emily's body, so presumably she'd still be 'Emily Kaldwin'. So I wonder how she apparently gets proper succession in this... timeline? Interesting anyway.

I still need to do my Brigmore Witches High Chaos run I think. I should probably do that at some point prior to November.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    Frei wrote: »

Villains can always come back from banishment.

As far as I know, both the DLC and main game are assumed to be finished (canonically) in low chaos - so not murdering everyone. So there are a lot of potential DLC characters coming into Dishonored 2.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    "There's no place for monsters like you in this world."

*brutally murders the fuck out of a million people*

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Dranyth wrote: »
    Also, originally I wasn't sure what people were talking about with the Outsider's voice being different, because I had only seen the announcement trailer, which Billy Lush did. This was the first one I've seen with the new voice and ugh, yeah the old one was definitely better. No idea why they bothered changing it, especially after getting him to do the announcement trailer.

A comment on the video claims that Lush made a transphobic comment/joke. But, that's a YouTube comment, so who knows?

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    PSA: there are some pretty nice free Dishonored 2 dynamic themes up on PSN right now.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Giant Bomb has a pre release gameplay video up,

https://youtu.be/HTWestnoMQk

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular

I totally killed or spared people based the judgement of a heart reanimated by otherworldly magic given to me by an extradimensional being on a whim for his own entertainment.

In retrospect, perhaps I should have exercised a bit more personal judgement.

Quote from the grave but, anyways, if you use the Heart often enough on any random person (anyone but targets or major characters) it will actually run through its entire random dialogue lines. I was planning on doing the whole "listen to the heart and then decide" run but that ended quick when it used every possible description on the first guard I analyzed.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

Yeeeeessssssss the heart was the best part of the first game. Still my absolute favorite moment of any game, ever, is using the heart on a guard fighting with his maid wife early on and hearing "if he survives this night, he will kill two more before ending his own life." Fucking awesome.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Just finished up the first game and I'm gonna go back and do a murder run after doing the order thing. The high order approach does have some satisfying endings for the targets, but man, I don't get to use any bombs or traps or rats or anything.

Plus things move a lot faster when you taking things slow so the sneaking goes just right.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    I was sort of hoping the dark vision skill would be gone in Dishonored 2. I'm soooooo over special vision modes in games. Ah well. =p

As far as the heart goes - and I'm a bit rusty on the story - but...
    didn't it end up being the Empress' voice we were hearing? Did they ever flesh out anything more about it? It's been years since my initial playthrough.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    vamen wrote: »
    I was sort of hoping the dark vision skill would be gone in Dishonored 2. I'm soooooo over special vision modes in games. Ah well. =p

As far as the heart goes - and I'm a bit rusty on the story - but...
    didn't it end up being the Empress' voice we were hearing? Did they ever flesh out anything more about it? It's been years since my initial playthrough.
    It's her heart, and her spirit imprisoned in the heart, yes.

• Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    I don't know why they bother with all those powers when all I'm going to do is carry my dead lover's tortured heart around and devour people with demon rats.

Also, did they bring kicking back? Messiah was such an amazing game.

• Options
    CromartyCromarty Danielle Registered User regular
    Carnarvon wrote: »
    I don't know why they bother with all those powers when all I'm going to do is carry my dead lover's tortured heart around and devour people with demon rats.

Also, did they bring kicking back? Messiah was such an amazing game.
    The mighty boot was so good in that game.

Now I'm imagining a Dishonored where you can grab a guy, teleport up to a roof, and then kick him off of it.
    Just being able to teleport other people would probably be even more broken than the boot was in Dark Messiah, though.