Options

[PSN] Dynasty Warriors: Godseekers and Digimon World: Next Order

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    fuck the XMB
    original 360 Blades for life!!!

Well, the blades were definitely better than the ad-riddled mess the NXE became.

Dirty on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    The XMB didn't have any scalability issues when you used Folders.

That only did so much for save files. Plus, even my game folders were giant messes by the end thanks to a 1TB HDD, an 8 year long gen and PS+.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    You kids and your fancy smancy folders and UIs. Why in my day you had to shelves or shoeboxes to sort your Atari cartridges. Want a sports game? Go find the Puma box in the corner.

On a related note. Those who bought the Bioshock disc version. How much HDD space does the entire collection take up after any patches?

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    You kids and your fancy smancy folders and UIs. Why in my day you had to shelves or shoeboxes to sort your Atari cartridges. Want a sports game? Go find the Puma box in the corner.

On a related note. Those who bought the Bioshock disc version. How much HDD space does the entire collection take up after any patches?

I could be wrong, but I'm fairly certain having a physical disc doesn't actually save you any HDD space. It still installs the whole thing. Digitally, it's close to 60 gigs, all told. Bioshock 1 & 2 take up around 28, and Infinite also takes up around 28-29. Infinite is its own game file.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited September 2016

That only did so much for save files. Plus, even my game folders were giant messes by the end thanks to a 1TB HDD, an 8 year long gen and PS+.

Not for save files sure. But for games you could create as many custom named folders as you wanted, which were all ordered alphabetically. And if you wanted stuff in front, just put symbols in front of it.

All my PS3 folders start with / or // or /// depending. Heh.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options

Not for save files sure. But for games you could create as many custom named folders as you wanted, which were all ordered alphabetically. And if you wanted stuff in front, just put symbols in front of it.

All my PS3 folders start with / or // or /// depending. Heh.

I know, I did it too, though I used numbers in front of them instead. But I wasn't going to make 3 or 4 different backlog folders and I shouldn't have to in the first place.

Folders aren't great at scaling on the DM either, I'd like to see Sony improve them at some point (maybe make all folders like the Media one, where there's rows and columns) but at least I can manually sort them and the Library is right there if I need it.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »

I could be wrong, but I'm fairly certain having a physical disc doesn't actually save you any HDD space. It still installs the whole thing. Digitally, it's close to 60 gigs, all told. Bioshock 1 & 2 take up around 28, and Infinite also takes up around 28-29. Infinite is its own game file.

Nope, you're right. Imagine my surprise when I came home with a GTAV disc, stuck it in the machine, and it yelled at me to free 60 gigs of space.

I know what it's doing, and I know it's objectively a good thing. Was still a shock for this old school gamer. "No, you can't play this disc, go away". :)

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    The bunker looks real neat. Gonna pick that up to play with my wife.

• Options
    We've all seen this, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv1e4p0dQcI

• Options

Yeah I was worrying that is the case. Thanks for the size info, looks like I really need to buy a bigger HDD one of these days since my stock drive size is getting annoying playing the uninstall game before playing a game.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    Here's the Store Update for this week.
    Playstation Plus

PlayStation Plus Discounts

Platform Product Name PS Plus Price Original Price

PS4 100FT ROBOT GOLF $17.99 $19.99
    PS4 AFLOAT IN THE GREAT WAVE OFF KANAGAWA PIXELS $1.49 $1.99
    PS4 ART CLASSICS DAILY PHOTO PART 2 – DYNAMIC THEME $1.50 $2.99
    PS4 AT THE CROSS – THEMES AND AVATARS BUNDLE $2.99 $3.99
    PS4 DEMON GHOST AVATAR $1.49 $1.99
    PS4 EMPIRE – ANDRE LYON GOLD AVATAR $0.89 $0.99
    PS4 EMPIRE – COOKIE LYON GOLD AVATAR $0.89 $0.99
    PS4 EMPIRE – DYNAMIC THEME $2.99 $3.99
    PS4 EMPIRE – DYNAMIC THEME AND GOLDEN AVATARS BUNDLE $5.99 $7.99
    PS4 EMPIRE – GOLD ‘E’ ICON AVATAR $0.89 $0.99
    PS4 EMPIRE – GOLD ‘LUCIOUS LYON’ ICON AVATAR $0.89 $0.99
    PS4 EMPIRE – GOLD ‘LYON DYNASTY’ ICON AVATAR $0.89 $0.99
    PS4 EMPIRE – GOLDEN AVATARS BUNDLE $3.99 $4.99
    PS4 EMPIRE – JAMAL LYON GOLD AVATAR $0.89 $0.99
    PS4 EMPIRE – LUCIOUS LYON GOLD AVATAR 1 $0.89 $0.99
    PS4 EMPIRE – LUCIOUS LYON GOLD AVATAR 2 $0.89 $0.99
    PS4 EPIC BAY PANORAMA HIQ DYNAMIC THEME $2.24 $2.99
    PS4 EVIL LAUGH EMOTICON HIQ AVATAR $1.00 $1.99
    PS4 LOTUS IN THE POND THEME $1.00 $1.99
    PS4 SEASCAPE SUNSET THEME $1.49 $1.99
    PS4 SLAIN: BACK FROM HELL $13.49 $14.99
    PS4 THE BUNKER $15.99 $19.99
    PS4 ZEALOT FOR THE PAST $1.49 $1.99
    Sales
    Platform Product Name Sale Price Original Price

PS4 AMAZING LAVENDER FIELD THEME $0.99 $1.99
    PS4 ASSASSIN’S CREED 4 BLACK FLAG GOLD EDITION $17.49 $49.99
    PS4 ASSASSIN’S CREED CHRONICLES TRILOGY $12.49 $24.99
    PS4 ASSASSIN’S CREED CHRONICLES: CHINA $4.99 $9.99
    PS4 ASSASSIN’S CREED CHRONICLES: INDIA $4.99 $9.99
    PS4 ASSASSIN’S CREED CHRONICLES: RUSSIA $4.99 $9.99
    PS4 ASSASSIN’S CREED FREEDOM CRY $5.99 $14.99
    PS4 ASSASSIN’S CREED IV BLACK FLAG $11.99 $29.99
    PS4 ASSASSIN’S CREED SYNDICATE $19.79 $59.99
    PS4 ASSASSIN’S CREED SYNDICATE GOLD EDITION $29.69 $89.99
    PS4 ASSASSIN’S CREED UNITY $11.99 $29.99
    PS4 DEAR ESTHER: LANDMARK EDITION $7.99 $9.99
    PS4 EVIL BUFFALO SKULL HIQ THEME $0.99 $1.99
    PS4 EXTREME GAMER WARNING AVATAR $0.99 $1.99
    PS4 GAMERS DON’T DIE AVATAR $0.99 $1.99
    PS4 HELL FIRE GOAT HIQ AVATAR $0.99 $1.99
    PS4 HORNED DEVIL HIQ AVATAR $0.99 $1.99
    PS4 HORROR HOCKEY MASK HIQ AVATAR $0.99 $1.99
    PS4 JAZZPUNK: DIRECTOR’S CUT $11.99 $14.99
    PS4 LASTFIGHT $13.49 $14.99
    PS4 LIGHTNING STORM THEME $1.49 $2.99
    PS4 SAVANNA LION HIQ THEME $0.99 $1.99
    PS4 STAR WARS BATTLEFRONT $19.49 $29.99
    PS4 STAR WARS BATTLEFRONT DELUXE EDITION $25.99 $39.99
    PS4 WORLDS OF MAGIC: PLANAR CONQUEST $24.64 $28.99
    PS3 ASSASSIN’S CREED FREEDOM CRY $5.99 $14.99
    PS3 ASSASSIN’S CREED III $7.99 $19.99
    PS3 ASSASSIN’S CREED ROGUE $11.99 $29.99
    PS3 ASSASSIN’S CREED IV BLACK FLAG $7.99 $19.99
    PS VITA ASSASSIN’S CREED CHRONICLES TRILOGY $12.49 $24.99
    PS VITA ASSASSIN’S CREED III LIBERATION $6.74 $26.99

-(PS4) DEAR ESTHER: LANDMARK EDITION $9.99
    -(PS4) Destiny: Rise of Iron $29.99
    -(PS4) Destiny: The Collection $59.99
    -(PS4) JAZZPUNK: DIRECTOR’S CUT $14.99
    -(PS4) LASTFIGHT $14.99
    -(PS4) SLAIN: BACK FROM HELL $14.99
    -(PS4) Star Wars Battlefront: Death Star Free for Season Pass
    -(PS4) THE BUNKER $19.99
    -(PS4) TOKYO TWILIGHT GHOST HUNTERS DAYBREAK: SPECIAL GIGS $49.99
    -(PS4) WORLDS OF MAGIC: PLANAR CONQUEST $28.99
    -(PS4) ZENITH $19.99

-(PS3) TOKYO TWILIGHT GHOST HUNTERS DAYBREAK: SPECIAL GIGS $39.99

-(Vita) SKYLIGHT FREERANGE 2: GACHDUINE $14.99
    -(Vita) TOKYO TWILIGHT GHOST HUNTERS DAYBREAK SPECIAL GIGS $39.99

-(Bundles) PS4 DESTINY – THE COLLECTION $59.99
    -(Bundles) PS4 DESTINY – THE COLLECTION UPGRADE $39.99
    -(Bundles) PS4 TROPICO 5 – COMPLETE COLLECTION UPGRADE PACK $29.99

No real surprises. There's an Assassin's Creed sale again and a week one discount for Dear Esther: Landmark Edition if you're looking to grab that. Aside from that, it's kinda as advertised. Perhaps there'll be a flash sale this weekend but who knows.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    Just want to put out there that the Death Star DLC is the best new playmode in Battlefront yet. Lots of fun. If any of y'all still play that game, you should hop on. They improved a whole lot of stuff with the latest patch that applies to everyone (no more helmetless stormtroopers!).

• Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    Just want to put out there that the Death Star DLC is the best new playmode in Battlefront yet. Lots of fun. If any of y'all still play that game, you should hop on. They improved a whole lot of stuff with the latest patch that applies to everyone (no more helmetless stormtroopers!).

Can I just buy the latest DLC, or do you have to buy all of it?

• Options

Death Star will be out in 2 weeks for general purchase (at I think $15). Season Pass owners got it yesterday.

• Options

Death Star will be out in 2 weeks for general purchase (at I think $15). Season Pass owners got it yesterday.

Ugh, if the season pass wasn't the cost of a full game I'd jump back in. I'll continue to pretend I never bought that game I guess.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Last night I started creating a folder, then got decision paralysis about how to order my games, then gave up

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options

Ugh, if the season pass wasn't the cost of a full game I'd jump back in. I'll continue to pretend I never bought that game I guess.

I completely understand and agree with the valid complaints people have against that game's dumb business model
    It's still my GOTY from last year oh god I love it so much I know I'm crazy

• Options
    edited September 2016
    @chuck steak

Speak of the devil, Battlefront season pass on sale for $32.

Ceno on
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Last night I started creating a folder, then got decision paralysis about how to order my games, then gave up

I just have "finished" "active" and "chaff"

Last folder is mostly full of the usual suspects.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular

I like doing "Backlog", "Complete", and "Multi-player" for obvious reasons. Then "PlayStation+" for the games I'm not sure about yet. That pretty much covers everything. I could break it down by genre instead, but that would take a lot more time, and I'd end up with folders containing only 2 games unless I combined genres.

• Options
    @chuck steak

Well damn, I would have considered that if I didn't buy Overwatch right after my last post. Hopefully it'll go for 50% off before long.

• Options
    chris: waffle kingchris: waffle king whiskey-fueled crank Osaka's OverbellyRegistered User regular
    So, back in Aug., i picked up Gravity Rush in my "In the US shopping spree," yeah. It's sat on the shelf since i got back, muscled out of the way by other games. Figured, hell, i've got it, i'll play it whenever i get around to it.

Poking around the Jside ps+ last night, noticed it being one of this month's free games. Wah, waaah. Well, at least Journey was up too, so i can have that back. Do they add free stuff/deals throughout the month, then? i'd have sworn i hadn't seen either of those when i grabbed BB: Really Long Title.

Aside, but apparently i've only got 100some gig empty on a 500gb drive...the hell? i don't have that many games. If you delete something, and DL (or put it back on from disc) later, will you lose your progress, then?

steam_sig.png
    時計仕掛けの子の丸々太った磁器の顔に表情は無いが、転がりながら、口がカチッと開閉して、腕が上下に動い た。

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
    Wanna watch a gaijin butcher monsters and the Japanese Language all at once? Sure you do, and now you can!
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Oxenfree fans, check out Alone With You (PS4/Vita cross-buy, though sadly with no cross-save). I only started it yesterday, so I'm not too far into it, but it has a really interesting premise, great art style and I believe it has multiple endings.

Oh and Shu's in it!

@chris: waffle king I think Sony announced Gravity Rush Remastered would go on PS+ at their TGS conference.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »

I like doing "Backlog", "Complete", and "Multi-player" for obvious reasons. Then "PlayStation+" for the games I'm not sure about yet. That pretty much covers everything. I could break it down by genre instead, but that would take a lot more time, and I'd end up with folders containing only 2 games unless I combined genres.

I have "Indies", "KOEI", "Squeenix" and "PS2" because that's really the majority of what I have installed at the moment.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    Sony just gave me quite a scare.

I just received an email that 49.99 was added to my wallet from my credit card this afternoon. No additional details. Turns out it was PS Plus automatic renewal but for a few minutes I thought someone had stolen my account info and bought a game.

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    chris: waffle kingchris: waffle king whiskey-fueled crank Osaka's OverbellyRegistered User regular

@chris: waffle king I think Sony announced Gravity Rush Remastered would go on PS+ at their TGS conference.

Ahhh...the timing wouldn't have saved me the 30bucks, but that's alright; it got spent 'cause i had it to spend.

Was thinking about deleting games to free up drive space. It occurred to me i prolly don't need both the US and Jside versions of LBP3 on there. Then i realized if i deleted the Jside one, i'd probably (maybe?) lose all the dlc i've picked up over the years, since SonyJapan isn't supporting it any more. If i'm right, that kind of sucks.

steam_sig.png
    時計仕掛けの子の丸々太った磁器の顔に表情は無いが、転がりながら、口がカチッと開閉して、腕が上下に動い た。

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
    Wanna watch a gaijin butcher monsters and the Japanese Language all at once? Sure you do, and now you can!
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Fireflash wrote: »

I just received an email that 49.99 was added to my wallet from my credit card this afternoon. No additional details. Turns out it was PS Plus automatic renewal but for a few minutes I thought someone had stolen my account info and bought a game.

Good thing for you it happened now, because it goes up to $60 tomorrow.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Any suggestions for a PS4 HDD upgrade? I was thinking about finally biting the bullet and getting 2TB.

Fancy you should ask this question! Newegg's daily flash deal includes a Seagate 2tb laptop HDD for 48% off: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178872

EDIT - figured I should probably highlight @Dirty in this response.

I will admit, I'm not well-versed in computer hardware. Anyone use this particular drive in their PS4?

I'm about to (put in my order last night right after I made that post). Now, granted, it is a 5400RPM drive (which is the rotation speed of the default drives in both the PS4 and XB1)...but, from what I've been able to find, data transfer speeds are going to be bottlenecked by the PS4's wireless-N adapter rather than the drive itself. Ultimately, the reviews I've been able to find only bemoan the fact that the drive doesn't perform as well as an SSD :?

Personally, I'll try to do a time trial comparison on loading into Destiny and The Division (and maybe toss in a few rounds of BF4/Hardline to the highly unscientific benchmarks) between my current drive (HGST Travelstar 7200 1tb drive) and the Seagate.

I think you mean the SATA II interface, which is limited to just a 3 Gb/s transfer rate, not the wireless adapter. I don't think 7200RPM drives are fast enough for this to make a difference for them but it definitely slows down SSHDs and SSDs. I can understand why Sony (and Microsoft) didn't bother going with SATA III interfaces though, as it'd be an extra cost for the tiny number of people who'd bother installing SSDs into consoles.

Anywho, I just bought Gravity Rush Remastered while it's on sale on the PAL PSN because it's at a pretty great price and it's not going to get any cheaper before Gravity Rush 2 comes out. Now I just need to find the time to play it.

Wait, seriously? It uses SATA II? Damn...then yeah, I don't think there will be an appreciable drop in performance going from my current 7200rpm drive to the new 5400rpm one.

I just wanted to rewind a bit and revisit this series of posts:

That 2tb Seagate drive showed up and I've had it installed for a few days now (well...couple days: the first day got completely consumed with downloading most of my games to the drive). Compared to the 1tb 7200RPM drive I had in there before, there isn't much of a difference for in-game loading. Destiny still takes forever and a half when loading into the Tower...but it was doing that already with the 7200RPM drive. Everything else doesn't feel like it's taken a performance hit.

However, I did want to comment on one thing that Unco-ordinated said about it making sense not going with SATA III because of the tiny number of people who would put SSDs into console: SATA III doesn't just benefit SSD/SSHDs. Sure, SSDs get the most benefit from the expanded bandwidth, but it should bear mentioning that even external, platter-based HDDs benefit from an expanded bandwidth as well. Compared to the SATA II connection in the PS4 (using Destiny as the benchmark), an external HDD connected via USB3 will have Destiny load the Tower nearly instantly (we're talking over a minute of loading time on PS4 on initial loading vs. ~15 seconds on XB1 for the same scenario over said external HDD over USB3). To take out any wireless shenanigans, I basically set up an ideal situation for the PS4 and a less-than-ideal situation for my XB1 (PS4 is hardwired into my router via CAT6 cable, XB1 is wireless over a 5ghz wireless-N connection (~80% signal strength).

So, to recap the salient points: the 2tb Seagate 5400RPM drive works just fine (so far); and more than just enthusiasts slapping SSDs into their PS4s would have benefited with a SATA III connection instead of SATA II (which, seriously, still blows my mind that anybody still uses that in modern machines).

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Fireflash wrote: »

Good thing for you it happened now, because it goes up to $60 tomorrow.

Oh, right.

*looks at date*

...shit.

• Options
    Commodore75Commodore75 gothenburg.seRegistered User regular
    @chuck steak

Well damn, I would have considered that if I didn't buy Overwatch right after my last post. Hopefully it'll go for 50% off before long.

the Swedish shop says the 40% is until "29/9/2016 12:59 a.m." Doesn't specify time zone, but I'm in CEST (GMT +2, due to summer time).

• Options
    Any suggestions for a PS4 HDD upgrade? I was thinking about finally biting the bullet and getting 2TB.

Fancy you should ask this question! Newegg's daily flash deal includes a Seagate 2tb laptop HDD for 48% off: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178872

I will admit, I'm not well-versed in computer hardware. Anyone use this particular drive in their PS4?

I'm about to (put in my order last night right after I made that post). Now, granted, it is a 5400RPM drive (which is the rotation speed of the default drives in both the PS4 and XB1)...but, from what I've been able to find, data transfer speeds are going to be bottlenecked by the PS4's wireless-N adapter rather than the drive itself. Ultimately, the reviews I've been able to find only bemoan the fact that the drive doesn't perform as well as an SSD :?

Personally, I'll try to do a time trial comparison on loading into Destiny and The Division (and maybe toss in a few rounds of BF4/Hardline to the highly unscientific benchmarks) between my current drive (HGST Travelstar 7200 1tb drive) and the Seagate.

I think you mean the SATA II interface, which is limited to just a 3 Gb/s transfer rate, not the wireless adapter. I don't think 7200RPM drives are fast enough for this to make a difference for them but it definitely slows down SSHDs and SSDs. I can understand why Sony (and Microsoft) didn't bother going with SATA III interfaces though, as it'd be an extra cost for the tiny number of people who'd bother installing SSDs into consoles.

Anywho, I just bought Gravity Rush Remastered while it's on sale on the PAL PSN because it's at a pretty great price and it's not going to get any cheaper before Gravity Rush 2 comes out. Now I just need to find the time to play it.

Wait, seriously? It uses SATA II? Damn...then yeah, I don't think there will be an appreciable drop in performance going from my current 7200rpm drive to the new 5400rpm one.

That 2tb Seagate drive showed up and I've had it installed for a few days now (well...couple days: the first day got completely consumed with downloading most of my games to the drive). Compared to the 1tb 7200RPM drive I had in there before, there isn't much of a difference for in-game loading. Destiny still takes forever and a half when loading into the Tower...but it was doing that already with the 7200RPM drive. Everything else doesn't feel like it's taken a performance hit.

However, I did want to comment on one thing that Unco-ordinated said about it making sense not going with SATA III because of the tiny number of people who would put SSDs into console: SATA III doesn't just benefit SSD/SSHDs. Sure, SSDs get the most benefit from the expanded bandwidth, but it should bear mentioning that even external, platter-based HDDs benefit from an expanded bandwidth as well. Compared to the SATA II connection in the PS4 (using Destiny as the benchmark), an external HDD connected via USB3 will have Destiny load the Tower nearly instantly (we're talking over a minute of loading time on PS4 on initial loading vs. ~15 seconds on XB1 for the same scenario over said external HDD over USB3). To take out any wireless shenanigans, I basically set up an ideal situation for the PS4 and a less-than-ideal situation for my XB1 (PS4 is hardwired into my router via CAT6 cable, XB1 is wireless over a 5ghz wireless-N connection (~80% signal strength).

So, to recap the salient points: the 2tb Seagate 5400RPM drive works just fine (so far); and more than just enthusiasts slapping SSDs into their PS4s would have benefited with a SATA III connection instead of SATA II (which, seriously, still blows my mind that anybody still uses that in modern machines).

No offence but this is nonsense. There's so many other factors involved in this comparison (different hardware, different operating systems, different versions of the game, internal vs external, PSN/XBL and Destiny's servers) that I have no idea how you could possibly narrow the problem down to the SATA II interface. If you want to actually prove that, go and find a scientific test of SATA II vs SATA III using a mechanical drive and post that, because everything I have read over the years has told me that mechanical drives (whether they're 5400rpm or 7200rpm) can't even saturate a SATA II interface's bandwidth, let alone need SATA III.

Both the PS4 and Xbone use SATA II interfaces, so if both Sony and Microsoft came to the same conclusion, maybe it's not really as mind blowing as you think.

• Options

No offence but this is nonsense. There's so many other factors involved in this comparison (different hardware, different operating systems, different versions of the game, internal vs external, PSN/XBL and Destiny's servers) that I have no idea how you could possibly narrow the problem down to the SATA II interface. If you want to actually prove that, go and find a scientific test of SATA II vs SATA III using a mechanical drive and post that, because everything I have read over the years has told me that mechanical drives (whether they're 5400rpm or 7200rpm) can't even saturate a SATA II interface's bandwidth, let alone need SATA III.

Both the PS4 and Xbone use SATA II interfaces, so if both Sony and Microsoft came to the same conclusion, maybe it's not really as mind blowing as you think.

No offence taken...this is entirely subjective so far. I will admit that I can't find any publications that goes into detail comparing RPMs (5400 vs 7200) and across SATA versions (II vs. III). I also fully admit that, technically, there shouldn't be a difference (since the technical specifications indicate that neither 5400RPM nor 7200RPM drives would be bottlenecked by the interface type)...but, from entirely subjective observations, there seems to be a difference.

However, since this is venturing beyond the scope of the thread, care to take this to PMs instead? I have a quick little spot test in mind that I can run that should be a bit more balanced than comparing between two different consoles running on two different online services.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    See, what you should do is order 2 same model ps4sand 2 s same model hdds with different rpms and then run the test. If you're gonna do it, go all the way!
    God, please don't do that.

In other news I'm waiting on Battlefront to go on sale before VR hits so I can very in on the sweet sweet Star Wars VR thing that they plan on releasing for free.

• Options
    Big Classy wrote: »
    See, what you should do is order 2 same model ps4sand 2 s same model hdds with different rpms and then run the test. If you're gonna do it, go all the way!

In other news I'm waiting on Battlefront to go on sale before VR hits so I can very in on the sweet sweet Star Wars VR thing that they plan on releasing for free.

Actually, the funny thing with that is that that's not all that difficult to do (just a little time consuming) because the PS4 lets you swap hard drives. I already have a 1tb 7200RPM drive, I'd just need to get the 5400RPM version of the same brand and run game loading benchmarks (i.e. me sitting on my bed with a stopwatch and my PS4 controller).

Depending on if my company gets a couple environmental contracts or not, I *might* just have the time to do something like that in the Autumn/Winter months. :P

• Options
    Big Classy wrote: »

Everytime I read about the free VR part I die a little inside because it makes me want to preorder a VR that much more.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Everything I read on PS4 hard drives, speeds, loading, and even SSD options was that there's enough of a difference as to be measurable, but not enough of a measurable difference to be worth it. Short load times are still short, and long load times are still long. Maybe you save 5 seconds on the long ones, but when it's already 40 seconds long, it's not that big a difference. There's no massive paradigm speed change to be had.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options

No offence taken...this is entirely subjective so far. I will admit that I can't find any publications that goes into detail comparing RPMs (5400 vs 7200) and across SATA versions (II vs. III). I also fully admit that, technically, there shouldn't be a difference (since the technical specifications indicate that neither 5400RPM nor 7200RPM drives would be bottlenecked by the interface type)...but, from entirely subjective observations, there seems to be a difference.

However, since this is venturing beyond the scope of the thread, care to take this to PMs instead? I have a quick little spot test in mind that I can run that should be a bit more balanced than comparing between two different consoles running on two different online services.

If you want, sure. I'm guessing you're going to try running Destiny on the Xbone's internal drive and compare those results? I still think there's too many factors to make a call but if you want to do it, go ahead. Just remember that the game isn't the only thing running off the internal drive, the operating system is too.
    Everything I read on PS4 hard drives, speeds, loading, and even SSD options was that there's enough of a difference as to be measurable, but not enough of a measurable difference to be worth it. Short load times are still short, and long load times are still long. Maybe you save 5 seconds on the long ones, but when it's already 40 seconds long, it's not that big a difference. There's no massive paradigm speed change to be had.

Pretty much. I went with a SSHD because it gives you a decent little speed boost for a fairly cheap price. The only real problem with it is that there's no 2TB 2.5" SSHDs yet but like I said a few pages ago, I delete enough games that I never fill up 1TB anyway.

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Can you get external USB3 SSDs ? I'm getting short of space on my Xbox One, and will soon be thinking about an external drive.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    Can you get external USB3 SSDs ? I'm getting short of space on my Xbox One, and will soon be thinking about an external drive.

I....I actually didn't think about it (even though I most likely saw them in the Newegg newsletter I keep getting). But yes. You can either get a DIY set (just need an external enclosure + the SSD) or could get one of these snazzy dealies: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4P03VK2870

EDIT - and looking at the two, the price is pretty similar between the two options ($305-$310 for the SSD, $10-$20 for the enclosure)

Erlkönig on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Picked up Dear Esther and Virginia because why not, I'll set aside time this weekend and have a walking simulator marathon

Also I just now realized in MLB 16 that you can import music from a USB drive and mark specific sections for situational cues, such as walk-on music, home runs and way more. Naturally the first way I tried it out was setting it to play the hook from Britney Spears' "I Wanna Go" whenever the Rays hit a homer, but now I'm actually thinking about all the ways I can edit it to make it more authentic to the spirit of the stadium (I tend to hear MIA's "Double Bubble Trouble" every time I go to a game, for example, so I can add that in as break music somewhere). What an awesome feature, and I'm sad games have kind of gotten away from it. It was great in Burnout Paradise as well

This discussion has been closed.