As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Godzilla and other, less important Kaiju

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    And just toku in general!
    Oh speaking of which: Tsubaraya filed a patent for Ultraman Zeed so expect that to launch in the fall, with the now-standard simultaneous English subs on Crunchyroll

This is good news because I had heard Orb hadn't done very well on crunchy roll, which is a shame because Orb is excellent.

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Also Kong stuff

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »
    Also Kong stuff

The son of Godzilla and Cherno Alpha is clearly the Dragonzord

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »
    Oh speaking of which: Tsubaraya filed a patent for Ultraman Zeed so expect that to launch in the fall, with the now-standard simultaneous English subs on Crunchyroll

This is good news because I had heard Orb hadn't done very well on crunchy roll, which is a shame because Orb is excellent.

I think that x did well so expectations were high for orb

• Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    So Kong was OK but man, I really wanted to see
    one of those ants

Fakefaux on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

I hear they're planning a big crossover. It's gonna be a guddam bloodbath.

Zeed's going to be the only one to make it out alive.

• Options
    KlendyKlendy Goomy GoomyGoomyRegistered User regular
    i cannot wait for the kong x zilla x rim crossover in 2024

goomyisall400.jpg

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Aw, I just learned the awesome looking Evangelion Robo Godzilla designed by Yoji Shinkawa is not in fact a model kit, just a pre built statue. And the colour choices are... eeeh. It looked like such a promising gunpla! :<

31380809555_73c46c398f_z.jpg

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Aw, I just learned the awesome looking Evangelion Robo Godzilla designed by Yoji Shinkawa is not in fact a model kit, just a pre built statue. And the colour choices are... eeeh. It looked like such a promising gunpla! :<

31380809555_73c46c398f_z.jpg

That's a Zilla-esque jaw

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Aside from the colors on the finished statue, I really like that design.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Kong was basically everything I hoped for, I might just go see that again before it leaves theaters.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Yeah I woulda gone with more blue for that, less green and orange.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    You know that scene in Ratatouille where the food critic tastes the food and immediately flashes back to his childhood?

That was me at the Kong post credit scene.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Shit I don't know if I watched the post credits scene

I think I left after
    the guy meets his family and has his hotdog and beer

edit yup just watched a video explaining it and I definitely didnt, whoops

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Shit I don't know if I watched the post credits scene

I think I left after
    the guy meets his family and has his hotdog and beer

Yeah it was at the very end.
    Tom Hiddleston and Brie Larson are briefed on another King after being enlisted in Monarch. Cut to cave paintings of Godzilla. Then Rodan. Then Mothra. Then King Ghidora. Then all of them beating the piss out of each other.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    What a fool I was

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Gustav wrote: »
    You know that scene in Ratatouille where the food critic tastes the food and immediately flashes back to his childhood?

That was me at the Kong post credit scene.

That roar.
    I literally threw my hands in the air.
    I LOVE MONSTERS SO DAMN MUCH

GR_Zombie on
    04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    As someone who complain incessantly about cinematic universes, I am more than happy to call myself an utter hypocrite in this regard.

If Godzilla and Kong: Skull Island are indicators of quality bring me a god damn million of them.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    I'm just super glad
    It looked like the classic two legs no arms three heads look, I was afraid they'd do what a lot of the recent Toho things did and give him four legs for some reason.

• Options
    As someone who complain incessantly about cinematic universes, I am more than happy to call myself an utter hypocrite in this regard.

If Godzilla and Kong: Skull Island are indicators of quality bring me a god damn million of them.

It helps that King Kong Vs Godzilla invented cinematic universes. So it feels right.

• Options
    It's one of the earliest cinematic universes, but I would argue that Universal beat Toho to the punch with Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman and House of Frankenstein.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Also on Universal Monsters, I found out this weekend I am doing some officially sanctioned art for a gallery show of The Mummy. So I'm getting paid to draw Boris Karloff and it's rad.

yes i asked if I could do the Brendan Fraser one. I really wanted to get paid to draw Brendan Fraser.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    It's one of the earliest cinematic universes, but I would argue that Universal beat Toho to the punch with Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman and House of Frankenstein.

Your right, though I guess there's an argument about the difference between crossovers and "cinematic universes".

Still Toho really lent into it.

It also crazy to think that were the Kong rights not so expensive then Godzilla would have been lost to time and Kong would be king of the monsters.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Plot synopsis and poster for Godzilla: Monster Planet:
    godzilla-monster-planet-poster.png?auto=format&cs=tinysrgb&q=20&w=450&h=636&fit=crop&dpr=1.5
    The last summer of the 20th Century. That day, the human beings learn that they are not the only ruler of the planet Earth.

The appearance of the giant living creatures “Kaiju’s” and the ultimate existence that destroys all monsters: Godzilla. Through the battle against kaiju’s that lasted for half a century, human beings have experienced continuous defeat, and finally plan to escape from the Earth. And in 2048, only those who were selected by the A.I. managed under the central government boarded the inter-sidereal emigrant spaceship “Aratrum” to head for “Tau Cetus e”, the planet beyond the distance of 11.9 light-year. However, the environmental condition differences between that of the Earth and Tau e, which they finally arrived after 20 years were far beyond the predicted numbers, and was not an environment considered to be habitable by human beings.

The young man on the emigrant ship: Haruo, who saw his parents killed by Godzilla in front of his eyes when he was 4 years old, had only one thing in his mind for 20 years: to return to the Earth and defeat Godzilla. Shut out from the possibility of emigration, as the living environment in the ship deteriorates, the group of “Earth Returnists” led by Haruo became the majority, and determines to head back to Earth through a dangerous long-distance hyperspace navigation. However, the Earth they have returned has already passed the time of 20,000 years, and has become an unknown world with the ecosystem reigned by Godzilla.

At the end, will human beings win back the Earth? And what will Haruo see beyond his fate?

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Is that an honest-to-god Godzilla cartoon, possibly with a budget

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Is that an honest-to-god Godzilla cartoon, possibly with a budget
    It's a full-on theatrical release movie

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I absolutely love Godzilla enough to watch an anime in theaters.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    I can't help but wonder if that's a story they were pitching that was getting no traction until they put Godzilla in it.

I mean it looks very cool and I'm looking forward to it, it's just such a weird departure.

• Options
    It's like someone read Half-Century War and thought pfffft 50 years is baby shit

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    It actually feels like it kind of ties into the Legendary Godzilla universe, where Godzilla's whole thing is acting as a check on other monsters who get out of control by predating on them

The concept of a Godzilla that might grow and change for 20,000 years is pretty cool

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Though low key pissed, because I was going to use that title and some semblance of that idea for a story in my comic.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    I wonder how urobuchi will work a woman dying into the motivation for the protagonist

• Options
    I wonder how urobuchi will work a woman dying into the motivation for the protagonist

I mean, the synopsis says he's motivated by the death of his parents, so...

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    His mom was Mothra

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    It's like someone read Half-Century War and thought pfffft 50 years is baby shit

Man. MAN.

An animated adaptation of Half Century War using Stokoe's style is now something I want so bad it hurts.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options

Yeah but it's not an urobuchi work if a woman doesn't blatantly sacrifice herself for a man

• Options

Yeah but it's not an urobuchi work if a woman doesn't blatantly sacrifice herself for a man

Hmm, I was gonna say we don't know the specifics of how his mother dies, but it's when he was a kid so that wouldn't quite fit anyway. Nevermind.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    I must Kill Godzilla and take back the Earth, 20,000 years after Humanity was kicked off it!

Sounds like a dope premise!

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    Oh man. Given that Shin Godzilla had the worst audience I've ever shared a theater with,

adding anime is not going to help is it?

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Hyperdrive into the planet, towards Godzilla.
    Humanity can't have Earth- No one can!

VayBJ4e.png