As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect: Andromeda] Ryders on the Tempest

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Man, trying to replay ME2 (and eventually 3) to get hyped for Andromeda, but it's like pulling teeth getting it to run on this PC. Don't know if it's Windows 10 or the fact that my PC is way overpowered or what, but I've had a half dozen crashes and a bunch of annoying bugs and I'm not even a third of the way through the game yet.

Kinda tempted to drop it and see how ME3 plays.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Sorce wrote: »
    Really needing those system requirements BioWare...
    MEA is Frostbite 3, like Star Wars: Battlefront, Battlefield 1, and Mirror's Edge: Catalyst. Best guess?

(speculation) Minimum:
    Core i5 6600K / AMD FX-6350
    8GB RAM
    64-bit Windows 7+
    GTX 660 / Radeon HD 7850 w/ 2GB VRAM

(speculation) Recommended:
    Core i7 4790 / AMD FX 8350 Wraith
    16GB RAM
    64-bit Windows 10
    AMD Radeon RX 480 4GB / nVidia GeForce GTX 1060 3GB

Star Wars: Battlefront and Mirror's Edge: Catalyst were a step down from there, but were either released in 2015 or (probably? Didn't play ME:C) didn't have as much of a "bombastic FPS" vibe as MEA probably will.

jdarksun on
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Even though I quit playing it almost immediately, Battlefield 1 run perfectly on my i7 2600(non k) and GTX 970 at 1080p, so I'm hoping the same magic will happen again with Andromeda.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    WolveSightWolveSight Registered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Man, trying to replay ME2 (and eventually 3) to get hyped for Andromeda, but it's like pulling teeth getting it to run on this PC. Don't know if it's Windows 10 or the fact that my PC is way overpowered or what, but I've had a half dozen crashes and a bunch of annoying bugs and I'm not even a third of the way through the game yet.

Kinda tempted to drop it and see how ME3 plays.

run the game(s) in windows 7 compatibility mode and with admin turned on.

253J736.png
  • Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    MEA is Frostbite 3, like Star Wars: Battlefront, Battlefield 1, and Mirror's Edge: Catalyst. Best guess?

(speculation) Minimum:
    8GB RAM
    64-bit Windows 7+

16GB RAM
    64-bit Windows 10

Star Wars: Battlefront and Mirror's Edge: Catalyst were a step down from there, but were either released in 2015 or (probably? Didn't play ME:C) didn't have as much of a "bombastic FPS" vibe as MEA probably will.

No way is that the minimum, that chip came out last year and is comparable in performance to the 4790. Maybe an i5-2600k?

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I've got theories as to what processor the game needs/wants too, but the hard numbers are what I'm after. I'm not buying anything until those are released, which I'm hoping is pretty soon.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Worse case scenario for me is that I'll be pulling another Dragon Age Inquisition-like purchase again, where I bought the game before upgrading my GPU and end up never playing it once I get the upgrade. And then once the GOTY is on sale I buy it again and still never play it.

I am the worst kind of gamer.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    It's right there in the title.

(2019 or so at the earliest most like)

The 21st of next month.

Next Sunday AD.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Isn't recommended usually about 5 years or so behind? I think 1060 is still too new. Heck, I think 970 is still too new.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Those are literally the minimum system requirements listed for Battlefield 1. Came out about six months before MEA will release, same platform (Frostbite 3), probably a decent guess at an analog.

• Options
    Those are literally the minimum system requirements listed for Battlefield 1. Came out about six months before MEA will release, same platform (Frostbite 3), probably a decent guess at an analog.

Yeah but that's got to be wrong, because

1. Tons of people with much older processors are playing BF1 without issue
    2. It's nonsense, because a 6600k is going to beat a 4790 in gaming 90% of the time. Why would the "recommended" specs be equal to/lower than the "minimum" specs? What's more, the 6600k smokes the FX-6350; they're not even in the same league.
    3. If it needed a 6600k to be playable, it would not run on Xbone or PS4.

They must have meant 2600k or something else, or whoever came up with the minimum requirements for BF1 didn't know what he or she was talking about.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Yeah that minspec processor on the Intel side is waaaay out of sync with the AMD one, so there's definitely an error there. A 2500k or so is much more like it.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular

2. It's nonsense, because a 6600k is going to beat a 4790 in gaming 90% of the time. Why would the "recommended" specs be equal to/lower than the "minimum" specs? What's more, the 6600k smokes the FX-6350; they're not even in the same league.

They must have meant 2600k or something else, or whoever came up with the minimum requirements for BF1 didn't know what he or she was talking about.

That's not actually true. Because Consoles are hardlocked to specs, you can do a crazy amount of more optimization with them then you can with PCs. It can make up for a significant power disadvantage. PC copies, meanwhile, tend to get little to no optimization these days and specs that are just about brute forcing something to work. Shitty programming can suck up a lot of resources that don't actually do anything, even if two products are using the same engine underneath.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    As it's also frostbite 3, the specs for battlefield 1 should be pretty close.
    The minimum spec:

Processor (AMD): AMD FX-6350
    Processor (Intel): Core i5 6600K
    Memory: 8GB RAM
    Graphics card (AMD): AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB
    Graphics card (Nvidia): Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 2GB
    DirectX: 11.0 Compatible video card or equivalent
    Online Connection Requirements: 512 KBPS or faster Internet connection
    Hard-drive space: 50GB

The recommended spec:

Processor (AMD): AMD FX 8350 Wraith
    Processor (Intel): Intel Core i7 4790 or equivalent
    Memory: 16GB RAM
    Graphics card (AMD): AMD Radeon RX 480 4GB
    Graphics card (Nvidia): Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
    DirectX: 11.1 Compatible video card or equivalent
    Online Connection Requirements: 512 KBPS or faster Internet connection
    Available Disk Space: 50GB

6600k is minimum spec, too, but once you're not cpu bound anymore, anything above would basically be bells and whistles, anyways, wouldn't it?

Edit: the 6600k is around 15% faster all in all (and probably more in game performance..)than the also minimum AMD FX 8350

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    AspectVoid wrote: »

That's not actually true. Because Consoles are hardlocked to specs, you can do a crazy amount of more optimization with them then you can with PCs. It can make up for a significant power disadvantage. PC copies, meanwhile, tend to get little to no optimization these days and specs that are just about brute forcing something to work. Shitty programming can suck up a lot of resources that don't actually do anything, even if two products are using the same engine underneath.

Usually, the AAA games that are multi platform are in some sort of multi platform framework - meaning these usually do get pretty well optimized for PC after a while.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    ValiantheartValiantheart Registered User regular
    So is the only way to get the Deluxe version to buy it through Origin? Looks like Green Man/Amazon only have the standard.

PSN: Valiant_heart PC: Valiantheart99
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    So is the only way to get the Deluxe version to buy it through Origin? Looks like Green Man/Amazon only have the standard.
    Yup. BioWare has said that there's going to be an upgrade path for the Deluxe version though.

sig.gif
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    There's no way to tell the minimum until the game comes out and like 6 months have passed. All specs are "best guesses" with those guesses being pretty crap sometimes. And then they patch to improve them once the game is out and they can finish it...

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular

(speculation) Minimum:
    8GB RAM
    64-bit Windows 7+

16GB RAM
    64-bit Windows 10

I guess my GTX 560Ti isn't going to cut it, lol.

• Options
    ValiantheartValiantheart Registered User regular
    Yup. BioWare has said that there's going to be an upgrade path for the Deluxe version though.

Like an upgrade cost or in game activities?

PSN: Valiant_heart PC: Valiantheart99
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    The jump jet will revolutionize being a space asshole in ways Shepard could only dream of.

Rocket punching a reporter. Lets do this.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    The jump jet will revolutionize being a space asshole in ways Shepard could only dream of.

Only if Ryder screams "ROCK-ET PUUUUUUNCH!" when it happens.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    RYDERRRRR KICK!

• Options
    MasterOfPupetsMasterOfPupets Registered User regular

I'd bet money they mean a cost, not a reward for in game activities

XBL = MoP54
    PSN = PessimistMaximus
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MasterOfPupetsMasterOfPupets Registered User regular
    So, now that most of the skills have been released, what are some build you guys are thing of trying? I'm definitely thinking my primary build will be charge/nova/shield with plenty of points boosting melee and shotgun damage

XBL = MoP54
    PSN = PessimistMaximus
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular

I'd bet money they mean a cost, not a reward for in game activities

Both ME3 and DA:I had a bit of DLC to upgrade a standard edition to a digital deluxe, that's what's been talked about and 99% confirmed to be coming

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    So, now that most of the skills have been released, what are some build you guys are thing of trying? I'm definitely thinking my primary build will be charge/nova/shield with plenty of points boosting melee and shotgun damage

If the turret's any good I'll be an adept floating people in to the air as my turret gets target practice.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Axen wrote: »

Only if Ryder screams "ROCK-ET PUUUUUUNCH!" when it happens.

Excuse me, it's

ROCKETO PAAAANNNNCH

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options

Like I said earlier, pretty sure I'm going for assault rifle with a heavy reliance on tech powers. Either that or two weapons with one being a grenade launcher like the Falcon from ME3. Either way, the plan is to be the "big guns," standing in the back and blasting away at everything in sight while I let my teammates meat shield for me.

Played a few rounds of ME3 multi yesterday and ho boy did I have a blast with Human Engineer packing the Harrier. So yeah pretty much just recreating that. Incinerate, Overload, Turret, plus whatever's fun (Invasion maybe? Looked neat in the trailer)

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    My vangod build is going to use a giant fuck off hammer and tech skills, like the flamer, for combo explosions. I'll probably have a weapons centric build for testing all the guns out and stealth sniper/katana build because that's always fun. The new class system seems like a really good idea. I finally get to try out multiple play styles without committing to multiple playthroughs.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    I hope they didn't add all these melee weapons and keep sync kills. Worst design decision of ME3 was instakill bullshit.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I'm honestly not sure what sort of ability combos I'm going to roll with. My canon Shep was an Infiltrator and my Insanity playthrough Shep was a Vanguard, but every class had stuff I liked about it... although Soldier and Engineer were my least-favorite.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    If slow mo headshots with sniper rifles are a still thing, I'm going heavy on infiltrator and sniping again for sure.

Those turrets are probably going to get thrown into the mix.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular
    I wonder if a fully stealth build with sword shenanigans will work. It could be fun to be a non douchey Kai Lang.

BNet: ElMucho#1392
    Origin: theRealElMucho
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I'm honestly not sure what sort of ability combos I'm going to roll with. My canon Shep was an Infiltrator and my Insanity playthrough Shep was a Vanguard, but every class had stuff I liked about it... although Soldier and Engineer were my least-favorite.

I really enjoyed my 'main' as an Engineer, but I've always liked 'pet classes'. Necromancer in D2, Witch Doctor in D3, whatever that pet class was in Hellgate London, etc.

Crowd control and let the minions do the heavy lifting, collect loot, repeat.

Not sure I'll keep with that pattern this time. The ME3 MP really showed me some great new ways to play.

... as a Vangod.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    annihilation field throw charge shotgun spec complete

Elendil on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    Shep was a vanguard. Period. Partly because charge and the associated benefits were just the absolute shit, partly because I love shotguns and vanguard rocks the shit out of them, partly because boiotics were incredible.

• Options
    Apparently the remnant are some sort of alien race?

They just looked like humans in space suits to me.

• Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    Skills: Remnant V.I., Assault Turret, Tactical Cloak

Melee: Omni-tool

Guns: nope

Playstyle: Deploy constructs, hide, repeat.

• Options
    NartwakNartwak Registered User regular
    Apparently the remnant are some sort of alien race?
    Turns out it's just the Protheans again.