Options

[2016 Presidential Election] Vote Early, Vote Often

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Honestly, I think Trump genuinely admires Putin. He looks at Putin and sees a man with the power and fear that he wants to command.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Well I decided that as much as I like the energy of voting on election day, I have a busy week then so I took advantage of early voting. So +1 Hillary in WI. And almost more importantly Feingold. If you people in IN, NH, MO, PA, NC, FL, and NV don't come thru for the Senate, a 100 year curse of skunky beer and moldy cheese be upon you.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Gyral wrote: »
    Even Clarence Thomas thinks obstructing SC nominees is a bad idea.
    Thomas told the Heritage Foundation that the obstruction of Garland’s appointment to the court is undermining confidence in the United States judicial system.

“I don’t think [obstruction]’s going to work in a republic or a civil society. At some point, we have got to recognize that we’re destroying our institutions and undermining our institutions,” Thomas said.

Then Clarance Thomas should do something about it. Say "I will vote exactly how Ginsberg does on all cases until a new nominee is approved". Just saying "You're ruining everything!" and not doing anything about it when you trivially can is an embarrassment. At least if he had said nothing he could have pretended he was part of the '8 is enough' crowd.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I just fucking couldn't take it anymore from my family, so I sent them this email tonight, with the title "Donations for Hillary"
    I just wanted to let you guys know something of which you are probably not aware and might help me get less emails if you were made aware of it.

Every time you goad me about Hillary, or say something legitimately insane about Hillary, or talk with serious earnestness about something that is clearly an easily disproved lie about Hillary, I send her another donation. I gave her another $5 tonight.

Hopefully this will curb the enthusiasm towards emails aimed at annoying me, but who knows. Maybe it will actually create more emails. /shrug

God bless the future Madam President

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    wrong thread.

honovere on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Gyral wrote: »
    It's probably something as boring as Trump wants to expand into Russia and Putin's people told him that to do so, he has to get the sanctions on Russia lifted.

Also given the connections between his advisors and Russian interests, he's likely got alot of people around him telling him to believe good things about Putin and Russia.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Like any bully, Trump fears and admires anyone stronger or more powerful than himself. It's also clear that he probably has a lot of business ties in Russia, as they seem to be one of the few places still willing to work with him and lend him money.

But mostly I think it's brothers in authoritarianism.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Aaaaaand as sort-of expected from my clan, one of my sisters decided to goad me about Hillary. I thanked her for Hillary's second $5 donation from me and asked if she wanted to make it $15.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Less than 2 weeks until you reap the harvest of sweet, sweet schadenfreude. Don't forget to compile a list to send out to all of them showing who contributed how much. Spin this right, and you can turn them against each other in a welter of recrimination and accusations of insufficient faith in the Dear Leader while you watch from the sidelines.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    She did indeed go for the $15, because she couldn't help herself, apparently. Free magnet for me this time around!
    V1m wrote: »
    Less than 2 weeks until you reap the harvest of sweet, sweet schadenfreude. Don't forget to compile a list to send out to all of them showing who contributed how much. Spin this right, and you can turn them against each other in a welter of recrimination and accusations of insufficient faith in the Dear Leader while you watch from the sidelines.

I'm not quite sure I could go that far, but the real goal here is to make them stop trying to talk to me about politics so we'll see.

Cambiata on
  • Options
    I've seen the chat logs you post in the job thread. You can easily do this.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    “And just thinking to myself right now, we should just cancel the election and just give it to Trump, right? What are we even having it for? What are we having it for?”

Asking rhetorical questions about abolishing democracy in the third person. Always something new, Donald, always something I didn't expect.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Biden being considered for Sec.State in a Clinton admin.

If I remember correctly, Biden was much less interventionist than Clinton was in the Obama admin. Perhaps a sop to those who see Secretary Clinton as too hawkish?

Or, this early, just mindless speculation. Its not like there's a huge universe of potential Secretaries of States out there.

The sourcing on that seemed pretty self serving in my opinion tbh. His history in the Senate was mostly more hawkish than Clinton's and when he's thinking of running articles that said he gave Obama his good ideas and opposed the bad with hindsight ones but we're overruled by Hillary were very common

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Bogart wrote: »
    “And just thinking to myself right now, we should just cancel the election and just give it to Trump, right? What are we even having it for? What are we having it for?”

Asking rhetorical questions about abolishing democracy in the third person. Always something new, Donald, always something I didn't expect.

Yeah I mean give the fellow credit, maintaining a flow of new material for this long is amazing.

• Options
    JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
    If Joe Biden is secretary of state that means the onion doesen't have to retire Diamond Joe.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Jeedan wrote: »
    If Joe Biden is secretary of state that means the onion doesen't have to retire Diamond Joe.

I can't wait to read about Diamond Joe trying to sell weed to a Russian named Vlad, and Obama refusing to answer his calls.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    She did indeed go for the $15, because she couldn't help herself, apparently. Free magnet for me this time around!

This makes me think of the Georgia courtroom thing that the Rick and Morty people did an animatic of (and fully voiced).

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    The ABC tracking poll is now at Clinton +4, with +12 after the third debate. Meanwhile, IBD/TIPP tracker now has her +3.

Polls are being weird and as the Polandball would say, I am not of liking.

Absalon on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    The kind of stuff I'm interested in. 8->

Trumpchant in B Flat
    Maybe the repeated performance of the same phrases in rally after rally is developing a chant-like groove.

Or is that chanted monotone meant to invoke some familiar pattern? A one-man demonstration chant? A really plain sort of plainchant? Some kind of magical incantation or Tony-Robbins-like affirmation? None of those really fit. Is there a model that I've never heard or am not thinking of?

Since YouTube has Trump rally recordings going back several years — and whatever happens on November 8, I'm sure we'll hear from Mr. Trump again — there's an opportunity here to study the evolution of a unique rhetorical style. It seems to work for him, though I think that any other politicians who spoke that way would be mercilessly ridiculed.

Interpreters say it’s nearly “impossible” to translate Donald Trump’s rhetoric into other languages
    Much has been made of Trump’s comments in a surfaced Access Hollywood video about making advances on a woman without her consent. Trump dismissed the comments as “locker talk,” but foreign language translations of the lewd banter have only made the remarks sound worse.

According to Victor Mair, a professor of Chinese at the University of Pennsylvania, the sentence, “I moved on her like a bitch, and I could not get there, and she was married,” became “Wǒ xiàng zhuī biǎozi yīyàng zhuī tā, dàn méi néng chénggōng,” on people.cn, which means: “I pursued her like a whore / prostitute / harlot / strumpet, but I couldn’t succeed.”

Another news site translated the sentence into, “Wǒ xiàng duìdài dàngfù yīyàng kàojìn tā,” or “I treated her like a slut to get close to her,” Mair wrote on the blog Language Log.

Trump talks like a woman
    Jennifer Jones, a doctoral candidate of political psychology at the University of California at Irvine, has combined these statistics into an index capturing the ratio of “feminine” to “masculine” words, and applied it to the language of 35 political candidates over the past decade. Hillary Clinton’s language falls above the average on this index—more feminine than George W. Bush’s, but less so than Barack Obama’s.

But Donald Trump is a stunning outlier. His linguistic style is startlingly feminine, so much so that the chasm between Trump and the next most feminine speaker, Ben Carson, is about as great as the difference between Carson and the least feminine candidate, Jim Webb. And Trump earns his ranking not just because he talks a lot about himself or avoids big words (both of which are true); according to Jones, he also shows feminine patterns on the more subtle measures, such as his use of prepositions and articles. The key then is not what Trump talks about—making Mexico pay for the wall or bombing the hell out of ISIL—but rather how he says it.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Absalon wrote: »
    The ABC tracking poll is now at Clinton +4, with +12 after the third debate. Meanwhile, IBD/TIPP tracker now has her +3.

The +12 polls felt to me like they were probably outliers. They talked about this on Maddow the other night, if you take the polls where she is ahead by 12 or only up by 3 and just average them out you get Hilldog to a lead of about 6-7, which is pretty consistent with a majority of polls.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular

Lots of assumptions that this thing is already over.

Well, it isn't.

If you've got one last holdout in your circle--a BernieBro, a JohnsonFellow, whatever--don't let up. All votes matter.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    Biden deserves a break.

I'm imagining Biden will leave Washington and ride Amtrak around the country, righting wrongs and kicking ass along the way, much like some bad '90s syndicated action-adventure TV show.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Biden does deserve a break but what if he doesn't want one? Some people just live for their job and diamond Joe is a pretty tough dude.

Ludious on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

Lots of assumptions that this thing is already over.

Well, it isn't.

If you've got one last holdout in your circle--a BernieBro, a JohnsonFellow, whatever--don't let up. All votes matter.

exactly. thats why we need to make sure that every motivated johnsonfellow gets out their johnson and votes!!!!!!!!!!!!

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular

I'm not quite sure I could go that far, but the real goal here is to make them stop trying to talk to me about politics so we'll see.

You should gift-wrap all the Hillary stuff you bought with those family-induced donations and give it back to your family as Christmas presents in two months.

sig.gif
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

Reversion to the mean. She's typically been leading by 3-4% throughout, with hills and valleys. The debates and pussy grabbing moved her up another hill, but it is inevitably fading. Hopefully to a now higher plateau (probably 5-6%), but she wasn't likely to win by double digits. She should. But there is no justice as we've recently seen.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    This isn't just reversion to the mean. This is mostly Republicans who left Trump after the tape and accusations now saying, "Sure, he admitted to sexually assaulting women, but that was like three weeks ago. What has he done to me lately?" It's not math. It's unconscionable.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    And we are also getting near the finish line and a lot of people who were never trumping are probably holding their nose to vote for him and same for hillary and we will likely wind up with a pretty similar spread as we have seen the last few election cycles one way or the other.

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Much has been made of Trump’s comments in a surfaced Access Hollywood video about making advances on a woman without her consent. Trump dismissed the comments as “locker talk,” but foreign language translations of the lewd banter have only made the remarks sound worse.

According to Victor Mair, a professor of Chinese at the University of Pennsylvania, the sentence, “I moved on her like a bitch, and I could not get there, and she was married,” became “Wǒ xiàng zhuī biǎozi yīyàng zhuī tā, dàn méi néng chénggōng,” on people.cn, which means: “I pursued her like a whore / prostitute / harlot / strumpet, but I couldn’t succeed.”

Another news site translated the sentence into, “Wǒ xiàng duìdài dàngfù yīyàng kàojìn tā,” or “I treated her like a slut to get close to her,” Mair wrote on the blog Language Log.
    As an aside, I feel like Trump was referring to himself as a bitch. Because having to try and persuade someone (and especially failing) is weakness to him, as opposed to having them fling themselves at you (or, more likely in his case, forcing yourself upon them). And I think he would use bitch to denote weakness (because sexism etc.) rather than promiscuity.

(I find alternate readings of stuff really interesting.)

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    MrTLicious wrote: »
    Pumpkins are ready. Time to indoctrinate the children.
    m25AEZ7.jpg

It's gonna get smashed.

So am I on election night *wink* haha.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

Reversion to the mean. She's typically been leading by 3-4% throughout, with hills and valleys. The debates and pussy grabbing moved her up another hill, but it is inevitably fading. Hopefully to a now higher plateau (probably 5-6%), but she wasn't likely to win by double digits. She should. But there is no justice as we've recently seen.

It being close is just inexplicable to me. There have to be SOME Republicans who won't vote for this absurd idiot. Even if it's only like 5% of them that should lead to an obliteration of Trump. There are less Republicans than Democrats anyway.

Sad to say, it must mean that a lot of Democrats really hate Hilary. I'll be glad to see her in officerror, but I wish we could have run someone with a little less baggage.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    The kind of stuff I'm interested in. 8->

Trumpchant in B Flat
    Maybe the repeated performance of the same phrases in rally after rally is developing a chant-like groove.

Or is that chanted monotone meant to invoke some familiar pattern? A one-man demonstration chant? A really plain sort of plainchant? Some kind of magical incantation or Tony-Robbins-like affirmation? None of those really fit. Is there a model that I've never heard or am not thinking of?

Since YouTube has Trump rally recordings going back several years — and whatever happens on November 8, I'm sure we'll hear from Mr. Trump again — there's an opportunity here to study the evolution of a unique rhetorical style. It seems to work for him, though I think that any other politicians who spoke that way would be mercilessly ridiculed.

Interpreters say it’s nearly “impossible” to translate Donald Trump’s rhetoric into other languages

Trump talks like a woman
    Jennifer Jones, a doctoral candidate of political psychology at the University of California at Irvine, has combined these statistics into an index capturing the ratio of “feminine” to “masculine” words, and applied it to the language of 35 political candidates over the past decade. Hillary Clinton’s language falls above the average on this index—more feminine than George W. Bush’s, but less so than Barack Obama’s.

But Donald Trump is a stunning outlier. His linguistic style is startlingly feminine, so much so that the chasm between Trump and the next most feminine speaker, Ben Carson, is about as great as the difference between Carson and the least feminine candidate, Jim Webb. And Trump earns his ranking not just because he talks a lot about himself or avoids big words (both of which are true); according to Jones, he also shows feminine patterns on the more subtle measures, such as his use of prepositions and articles. The key then is not what Trump talks about—making Mexico pay for the wall or bombing the hell out of ISIL—but rather how he says it.

I don't see Trump reacting well to this. Somebody make sure he sees it.

• Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    Biden does deserve a break but what if he doesn't want one? Some people just live for their job and diamond Joe is a pretty tough dude.

The reason he didn't run for President is because his heart isn't in it any more. He has said as much on tv before the primaries. After the death of his son i think he just wants to quietly fade away into the background and mourn by himself.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    This isn't just reversion to the mean. This is mostly Republicans who left Trump after the tape and accusations now saying, "Sure, he admitted to sexually assaulting women, but that was like three weeks ago. What has he done to me lately?" It's not math. It's unconscionable.

Welcome to the Republican Party, a debased bunch of extremists with no morals, principles, or concrete objectives other than "fuck liberals!"

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    TheDrifter wrote: »
    Biden being considered for Sec.State in a Clinton admin.

If I remember correctly, Biden was much less interventionist than Clinton was in the Obama admin. Perhaps a sop to those who see Secretary Clinton as too hawkish?

Or, this early, just mindless speculation. Its not like there's a huge universe of potential Secretaries of States out there.

Onion Joe probably doesnt truck with no email, or anything else the man could use to come down on his distro ring.

In four year's we'll be six Congressional investigations deep into the quest to uncover the 33,000 missing cans of Natty Light

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    This is an actual ad the Trump campaign is running on Hindi TV stations. I'm guessing Tim & Eric are his new marketing directors

https://youtu.be/1PG2V0YnokM

FYI, Trump is polling around 6% with Indian-American voters, themselves an already fairly small voting bloc.

This is what it must be like living in the Twilight Zone.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Ninjeff wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »

The reason he didn't run for President is because his heart isn't in it any more. He has said as much on tv before the primaries. After the death of his son i think he just wants to quietly fade away into the background and mourn by himself.

I think his heart wasn't in it for running for pres, as he knows what that takes. I do think his heart still aligns with Government service, as that's been his entire life.

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    I've seen the chat logs you post in the job thread. You can easily do this.

Job thread?

(Wants new job.)

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Aaaaaand as sort-of expected from my clan, one of my sisters decided to goad me about Hillary. I thanked her for Hillary's second $5 donation from me and asked if she wanted to make it $15.

Is this Paragon or Renegade Cambiata? I can't tell.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.