As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Brexit, Pursued by a Blair

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Have there been an increase in strikes over there? I remember a railway one a couple of weeks ago.

JoeUser on
  • Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    Not as a direct consequence of Brexit. Current larger-scale strikes have dealt with ongoing issues such as NHS conditions and rail disputes. These aren't new unfortunately and have rumbled on for a while. That's not to say other sectors won't see them though. As additional squeezes on resources increase once inflation bites harder, I'd expect a lot of resistance.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Not seen it mentioned here yet but Enda Kenny is expected to resign after his state visit to America:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/feb/20/ireland-pm-enda-kenny-fine-gael-expected-resign-police-scandal

SharpyVII on
  • Options
    pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    Not seen it mentioned here yet but Enda Kenny is expected to resign after his state visit to America:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/feb/20/ireland-pm-enda-kenny-fine-gael-expected-resign-police-scandal

He could blame it on Trump.

"I just couldn't carry on as a head of government having to deal with the likes of him."

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    pezgen wrote: »
    SharpyVII wrote: »

He could blame it on Trump.

"I just couldn't carry on as a head of government having to deal with the likes of him."

Over here it's pathetically obvious that everyone in the running to take over wants him to go give flowers to a fascist so they don't have to. What a way to finish up your time as Taoiseach.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    It feels like the Tories are running the hunger games when it comes to the NHS nowadays. Will it even still be there by the time I'm elderly?

We need Roujin Z style hospital beds to better equip patients to take on Jeremy Hunt.

• Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    It feels like the Tories are running the hunger games when it comes to the NHS nowadays. Will it even still be there by the time I'm elderly?

I am gonna give the tories the benefit of the doubt on the NHS. Labour tried to just throw money at it and it didn't work and in any case where is the cash going to come from? It already is the second highest line item on the budget (welfare being the first). To spend anymore on it would mean they would have to cut spending in other areas, most of which have already had massive cuts. (The current bugbear, the foreign aid budget would give 32 million a week to the NHS assuming it was all spent on it. this sounds nice but I highly doubt that would happen)

The NHS has not really adapted to modern times and this is slowly destoying it. What it needs is a redesign from the ground up but good luck accomplishing that when there are so many competing interests.

Mc zany on
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    What about the real struggle for power?

Of course I'm talking about the feud between Larry and Palmerston.

• Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    Mc zany wrote: »

I am gonna give the tories the benefit of the doubt on the NHS. Labour tried to just throw money at it and it didn't work and in any case where is the cash going to come from? It already is the second highest line item on the budget (welfare being the first). To spend anymore on it would mean they would have to cut spending in other areas, most of which have already had massive cuts. (The current bugbear, the foreign aid budget would give 32 million a week to the NHS assuming it was all spent on it. this sounds nice but I highly doubt that would happen)

The NHS has not really adapted to modern times and this is slowly destoying it. What it needs is a redesign from the ground up but good luck accomplishing that when there are so many competing interests.

This is crazy but you could you know, raise taxes. We spend less per capita on healthcare than a lot of other countries and are shocked when we have worse/declining outcomes.

Also things are a lot more complex than "labour threw money at it and it didn't work".

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    health-care-spending-percent-gdp.png

EU-14 average spend minus UK is about 10%

we arent even spending on parity and its goin down

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    We need to increase expenditure and especially with our aging population

Another good reason for immigration; immigrants skew younger, and proportionately use the NHS less IIRC

• Options

The NHS has existed since 1948. What exactly do "modern times" have that it hasn't adapted to in the past when it's been at least somewhat properly funded? Baby booms? An ageing population? Mass immigration? Rapid changes in technology? Been there, done that, bought the scrubs, not to mention health services from Germany to Japan dealing with some or all of those things and coping far better.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular

The NHS has existed since 1948. What exactly do "modern times" have that it hasn't adapted to in the past when it's been at least somewhat properly funded? Baby booms? An ageing population? Mass immigration? Rapid changes in technology? Been there, done that, bought the scrubs, not to mention health services from Germany to Japan dealing with some or all of those things and coping far better.

Indeed, admitting the existence of the demographic bubble and budgeting appropriately for it is something that needs to be done. Well, something that should have been done 20 years ago, but, doesn't hurt to start now. The nhs is no more bankrupt and failing than social security is in the U.S. is just that hostile interests have a desire to order it's failure as inevitable.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Bleh. Just posted this in the Foreign Policy thread, but it's confirmed that our Taoiseach and seven other Ministers will be traveling to the US for various functions and events.

Not happy it's going ahead. Bleh.

Meanwhile, Britain will be getting Richard Bruton, the Minister for Education and Skills.

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Got my annual tax summary in the post today and they've got a handy little pie chart and break down on the back on how your tax contributed to public spending. UK contribution to the EU budget is right down there at the bottom at not quite 1.1%. Big savings coming our way! :rotate:

(Also Jesus Christ culture and environment are low spends, both under 2%... :bigfrown: )

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    Have there been an increase in strikes over there? I remember a railway one a couple of weeks ago.

that's going to look nice for khan

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    What is a bit of a worry is the dearth of planning in England full stop.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Shen wrote: »
    Got my annual tax summary in the post today and they've got a handy little pie chart and break down on the back on how your tax contributed to public spending. UK contribution to the EU budget is right down there at the bottom at not quite 1.1%. Big savings coming our way! :rotate:

(Also Jesus Christ culture and environment are low spends, both under 2%... :bigfrown: )

:/
    Glad to see the Aus Tax Receipt is contagious.
    I really don't see the point of the pie chart.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »

In an ideal world, people would look at it and think, "Hmm, maybe my assumptions about how much the UK spends on foreign aid and the EU are erroneous and based on news sources with a clear agenda."

In reality it's ignored in favour of calling up HMRC and asking why they've got a letter and does that mean they are due a tax refund

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular

In an ideal world, people would look at it and think, "Hmm, maybe my assumptions about how much the UK spends on foreign aid and the EU are erroneous and based on news sources with a clear agenda."

In reality it's ignored in favour of calling up HMRC and asking why they've got a letter and does that mean they are due a tax refund

With us, I'm pretty sure people just call up and ask whether they can not pay for a part of the pie chart and get their tax back instead.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular

Having met the general public, I imagine most HMRC queries end with "... does this mean I get a tax refund."

• Options
    pezgenpezgen Registered User regular

Having met the general public, I imagine most HMRC queries end with "... does this mean I get a tax refund."

Having tried to deal with HMRC, I imagine most queries end with an angry shout and the sound of a telephone being hurled across the room.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

And quite often, it does! People don't tend to call the Revenue unless they notice that their tax has gone up (or we've asked them for money).

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options

The latest chapter in the epic saga of "WTF was that fucking referendum even FOR?!"

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Well, it didn't feel like we had sovereignty to some in the Tory party.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

The latest chapter in the epic saga of "WTF was that fucking referendum even FOR?!"
    An end to straight bananas, obv.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-39041596

Whee, has Corbyn joined Trump in being awarded Putin's Special Most Likely to Destabilise the Democracy Award?

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Meanwhile, in Ireland...

Michael Healy-Rae, ladies and gentlemen. Enjoy the full beauty of a Kerryman saying "rhododendron"

• Options
    SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    The Healy-Raes are shady clowns, but in fairness to him rhododendrons are a real problem here.

Broken clocks and all that.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/the-30-years-war-the-fight-against-rhododendron-1.2317249

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • Options

Add it to the list of things that were obvious before the referendum, casually ignored by Leavers during the referendum and then confirmed by Leavers after the referendum.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Why even leave

What is the fucking point

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2017
    It made the worst people in the country feel better for a bit. And it bought this man one step closer to being Prime Minister.

Bogart on
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    It made the worst people in the country feel better for a bit. And it bought this man one step closer to being Prime Minister.

To be fair I'd rather him be acting silly than conducting anything remotely to do with his job meeting foreign leaders.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Why even leave

Eventually we'll give the jobs to british people?

I'm assuming that was the plan.

I mean its a fucking terrible plan with little to no hope for successes but y'know it's a plan. Like jam

• Options
    Solar wrote: »
    Why even leave

I think it's just pride at this point.

How many people out there are ever going to admit they were wrong? It's why Blair, for all his faults, is right when he says the task of remain supporters is to highlight all those lies, half-truths and alternative facts so that people who previously wanted to leave can say "we were lied to!" instead of admitting fault and avoid all the shame.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I'm picturing the whole thing as a teenage Britain getting in a shouting match with MumThe EU:
    "You never let me do what I want!"
    "That's not true, I just think you might be better off if you think a little more carefully about the futur-"
    "I can't take this anymore! You're stifling me! I'm moving out!"
    "Oh really? And where exactly do you think you're going to go?"
    "I can take care of myself!"
    "That's not really an answer-"
    "I've got skills, I can- I can get a job!"
    "Not a very well-paying job, if you don't get-"
    "I can't stand it here!" [SLAM]

We're in the 'marching out the door and slamming it phase', where it's too late for rational thought to kick in, and before the adrenaline wears off and we have to think about where the hell we're going to spend the night.

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    I usually liken Brexit to leaving a girlfriend while still expecting all the benefits but your analogy is much better.

• Options
    The Healy-Raes are shady clowns, but in fairness to him rhododendrons are a real problem here.

Broken clocks and all that.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/the-30-years-war-the-fight-against-rhododendron-1.2317249

Oh no, I completely agree. rhododendrons are causing massive problems in Killarney and the wider Kerry area.

It's just impossible to take it seriously when Michael Healy-Rae talks about it.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Invasive species are a bitch.

• Options
    Yeah, we've been saying that about the British for 800 years now.

I'll see myself out.

This discussion has been closed.