As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Christmas music is Good

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Yeah
    The best Christmas music is as close to original Ukrainian folk melodies as possible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhzsPtAAd4c

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    Extremely
    Sorce wrote: »
    Wait, what's wrong with Pentatonix? This is the first I've ever heard of someone not liking them.

They're bad and annoying and they beatbox and ruin Imogen heap songs.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Nah
    I used to have a pretty serious twitch when it came to Christmas music. Most of that was because I worked briefly for two of the largest Macy's stores in the country and had to experience their October-New Year's Christmas blitz.

I will still try to do anything I can to avoid listening to "Santa Baby", as I had to listen to that 4-5 times a day for 3 months straight.
    One of those months was spent also nursing a Mono infection.

That said, one of the ways I'm recovering from my humbugitis is through listening to remixed holiday jams.

I haven't booted it up yet, but my professional dj buddy dj BC makes a holiday mashup album every year and puts it out for free.

Check it out here:
    aibs6dpm.jpg

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Extremely
    Best Christmas song

https://youtu.be/OR07r0ZMFb8

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    OMG I Forgot all about that. Classic DMC!

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    Extremely
    The AV Club did a "Video Game Music - Winter Mix" list last year.

There's a bunch of good ones, but this one always makes me winter-nostalgic really hard.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g67Th8Eej8M

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Nah
    Wait, what's wrong with Pentatonix? This is the first I've ever heard of someone not liking them.

They're bad. They're like actively bad. Their harmonic arrangement is flavourless and boring and the beatboxing is fucking embarrassing. And they approach this inherently goofy thing with such over-the-top forced seriousness.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Yeah
    My favorite Christmas tune will always be the White Christmas cover by The Drifters, that I first heard in Home Alone as a kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfZPtkqXQIA

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    Yeah
    i've recently decided i think this might be my favorite christmas song, so much that i've actually a sweater with a design inspired by it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLrvpoJnfNw

UmPiq.png
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Nah
    #pipe wrote: »

They're bad. They're like actively bad. Their harmonic arrangement is flavourless and boring and the beatboxing is fucking embarrassing. And they approach this inherently goofy thing with such over-the-top forced seriousness.

They're interesting because they're a mass-market (semi-)acapella group that gained a following alongside Lindsay Sterling on YouTube. Now that they've been around awhile the gimmick has worn off and is being judged by its more technical merits.

• Options
    Extremely
    god help us all, Lindsey Stirling
    the Pentatonix of violinists

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    Nah
    but she's playing violin in a skyrim costume

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Nah
    And "dancing"

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    Nah
    while in the forest

• Options
    Yeah
    Stirling's music is fine, and her videos are pretty well made, but her dancing is terrible.

• Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Extremely
    don't forget everyone

this holiday season, make sure greet that special someone with a warm embrace, a loving kiss

and then whisper in their ear "that one was for burl ives"

• Options
    Yeah
    Also, here's a thing.

• Options
    LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    I'm currently putting together a Christmas song playlist made up entirely of singers and musicians who have died in 2016, partly because I think it'll make for a nice end-of-year tribute, and partly because I like torturing myself like that.

We'll see how it turns out/if I turn into a blubbering mess by the end of it.

ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Nah
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Also, here's a thing.

Fuck what you heard, it's what you're hearing

https://youtu.be/TPXWZxtDooY

(the original, that is)

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Nah
    Ladai wrote: »
    I'm currently putting together a Christmas song playlist made up entirely of singers and musicians who have died in 2016, partly because I think it'll make for a nice end-of-year tribute, and partly because I like torturing myself like that.

Little Drummer Boy by Bing Crosby and David Bowie is all you need for that.

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Nah
    Christmas music sucks.

Especially when Paul McCartney is involved.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    My favorite Christmas song of all time is (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding.

But if I had to pick a song that was actually written with Christmas in mind it'd be this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIO3KvvgCqA

Ladai on
    ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Nah

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    Yeah
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Also, here's a thing.

This is maybe the first version of Rudolph that has ever brought me joy

• Options
    Nah
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Ladai wrote: »

Little Drummer Boy by Bing Crosby and David Bowie is all you need for that.

Oh hell, that song made me sob already, I hadn't considered how much harder it's going to hit this year

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    Nah

This is pretty ridiculous given the dreck that people have tried to pass off as quality in this thread. I would take Pentatonix over just about everything posted here (except like...trans-siberian orchestra, and other actual musicians). At least Pentatonix attempts harmony, and has some skilled technical singers to be able to pull it off.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Extremely
    Sooo who falls into your definition of actual musicians, here? Out of curiosity?

Also I'm with pipe, I've always kind of grimaced and nodded when people talked about loving Pentatonix and LIndsay Sterling. I find it baffling personally, but there's no accounting for taste.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DTwLqR071M

:rotate:

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    CorporateRedCorporateRed Wooooooo! Registered User regular
    Extremely
    Even if every other Christmas song was a steaming pile of garbage, the pure brilliance of Dominic The Donkey would still pull the genre up to pretty good.

Christmas music is pretty great.

Steam ID: Corporate Red
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Yeah

Nah, they're fine.

At worst, they're mediocre.

Goatmon on

• Options
    Extremely
    Opinions!

• Options
    Yeah
    NO

ONLY I GET TO BE CORRECT ABOUT THINGS

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Yeah
    I swear, each year I get more and more pissed off at 'baby it's cold outside'. Why in this day and age is a song about a creepy guy guilt tripping/drugging a chick to stay the night with him?

I mean, I enjoy the music, and the overlapping singing, but the lyrics.....

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjaPXihbORk
    The only good Christmas song is Father Christmas by The Kinks

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Yeah
    I tend to be very feminist with media, but Baby It's Cold Outside gets more flak these days than it should, because the lyrics (like "What's in this drink") are very era specific, and have pretty different meanings these days.

Also, the tone of the song is less a lack of interest, and more a concern about being judged by her neighbors and family for spending the night with another man she isn't married to, because that was absolutely considered scandalous at the time.

Goatmon on

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Nah
    Working even one service industry job is enough to disabuse one of liking most Christmas music

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Nah
    Christmas is good.

Music is good.

Combining the two? Not so good.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    My favourite novelty Christmas album is the Christopher Lee heavy metal Christmas album.
    Whether or not it's actually good is irrelevant in the face of it actually existing.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TnFIDKyX50&list=PLLF2tbWYJ3xChmLA1U08pk9-W55nPzrnT

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."