As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

We've got to slow down, in the [Terrace House]

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Episode 25:
    Holy crap is Triendl thirsty for Handa, and here I thought Natsumi was bad.

Also I really hope Hikaru shaves soon.

• Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    Episode 25:
    Holy crap is Triendl thirsty for Handa, and here I thought Natsumi was bad.

Also I really hope Hikaru shaves soon.
    The fact that Hikaru was growing facial hair that mimicked Arman's was what sold him as an ok guy in my book.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    I went to the 88 Tees website for fun, and Avian is all over it. Not surprised, but still amusing.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    okay, Yuya is on a fast track to fuckboytown

(early episode 3)
    "And Yusuke's a virgin." out of nowhere in the middle of a conversation about surfing?

Fuck entirely off, dude.

Yeah, i just saw this scene, and what a goddamn shitlord that kid is. You can tell he's just hella insecure about Yusuke having a very apparent talent while he's just some kid under the delusion that if he could only learn English he'll be a Hollywood star.

EDIT: The commentary crew bit regarding Torichan's absence was too good.

metaghost on
  • Options
    bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    I just came here to ask when new episodes dump, as I watched all of the Hawaii episodes in one day. The new cast is really good again.
    End of Boys and Girls in the City spoiler:
    The 29 year old chef (Terashima) who said he likes them pure and immediately went for they youngest girl (Riko-pin) set off all my danger alarms. He was a total chump.

The shots they choose to use in some scenes are really great, like the slow shot of an empty chair during a catfish dinner. I understand everyone's viewpoints, but want to yell at my screen sometimes.

akirasig.jpg
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    God the peanut gallery is so fucking good. Curmudgeon and pervy aunt and uncle especially.

Seriously the best part of the show.

Other reality shows need to take notice.

• Options
    I can't tell if it's the editing or what, but every time Yusuke plays his guitar it basically sounds like those "So-and-so shreds!" parody videos.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Is there no way to see the first series with subtitles yet?

• Options
    StasisStasis Registered User regular
    B&GITC Episode 44:
    Jeez, was I right to be uncomfortable with Hayato. Wow.

And the end of this episode was the Armanest Arman moment ever.

"You're pretty cool, wanna be my girlfriend?"
    "Kind of, but [AIRPLANE ROARS BY] aren't you going back to Hawaii?"
    "Eh, y'know. Whatever."
    "OK."

Aaaahhh, so refreshing after how tortured all of the other relationships have been.

Oh, and DUDE GOT HIT BY A CAR, ON A SKATEBOARD, LIKE IT'S NO BIG THING. "It's my first time being run over by a car and having someone cook for me."

Yamasato is hilarious, but every time he put down my boy The People's Boy Arman, those were fighting words.

• Options
    Aloha State part 1 spoilers
    I like a lot of the people this season in isolation, but they don't really mesh very well. It really does feel a lot more like people just living together and not as much like people WANTING to live together.

Part of it I think is the cultural difficulty for Naomi and Yuya, part of it is that Lauren and Yusuke are kind of shy loner creative types. Which is fine! But look at how fucking alive the place was when Seina showed up. I think three 18 year olds at the VERY beginning was a mistake too.

I hope whoever replaces Naomi has more chemistry with everyone else. Which sucks because even though she was great nobody in the house seemed to appreciate her at all.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    rhylith wrote: »
    Aloha State part 1 spoilers
    I like a lot of the people this season in isolation, but they don't really mesh very well. It really does feel a lot more like people just living together and not as much like people WANTING to live together.

Part of it I think is the cultural difficulty for Naomi and Yuya, part of it is that Lauren and Yusuke are kind of shy loner creative types. Which is fine! But look at how fucking alive the place was when Seina showed up. I think three 18 year olds at the VERY beginning was a mistake too.

I hope whoever replaces Naomi has more chemistry with everyone else. Which sucks because even though she was great nobody in the house seemed to appreciate her at all.

AS Spoilers
    I hadn't really given it much thought, but I completely agree that starting with two shy loner types probably is part of the issue. They definitely needed more outgoing and age differentiated people to start. I felt super bad for Naomi because she did feel like the odd person out quite often despite seeming like an awesome person.

With that said, I still really enjoyed the first 8 episodes and it did have some nice moments. The multiple people helping Naomi in her job search and application process, the water balloon fight that was mostly just Yuya hitting Naomi in the small of the back, Seina's visit and just the supporting of attended each other's events and concerts come to mind. However, the greatest thing so far was probably the commentators going wild for two episodes without the 6th one keeping them in check. That banana discussion...

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure they thought they'd put Lauren and Yusuke in and their creative drive and ridiculous talent would make them fall in love immediately.

But turns out he's incredibly shy and she likes being alone and isn't looking for a relationship.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Something interesting about Aloha State is in episode 2 when they're driving in the mustang you can see all the cameras mounted all over the car. I wonder how visible the cameras are inside the house.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    also lauren's artwork is so good

• Options
    Just finished B&GITC.
    AAAAAAHHHH! Hansan and Nacchan visited! I almost jumped out of my seat. Way to go, Misaki, for bringing them in for a reunion before the end.

The commentators playing Terrace House in the opening was fantastic.

Even though Hayato completely deserved what he got, I still felt awful for him getting ditched. It's hard to see someone go through that even when it's the bed they made for themselves.

I was surprisingly OK at the end! Of course I didn't want it to end, but honestly, it was the perfect time to draw it to a close, with two happy couples and closure for the other two members.

Starting Aloha State now!
    metaghost wrote: »
    I can't tell if it's the editing or what, but every time Yusuke plays his guitar it basically sounds like those "So-and-so shreds!" parody videos.
    AS episode 1
    I saw this post before I started watching, and with his whole timid personality, I was expecting to cringe when he started playing, but then he belted out this fingerstyle virtuoso piece and blew my mind.

• Options
    Stasis wrote: »
    metaghost wrote: »
    AS episode 1
    I saw this post before I started watching, and with his whole timid personality, I was expecting to cringe when he started playing, but then he belted out this fingerstyle virtuoso piece and blew my mind.

Make no mistake, he's exceptionally talented. I was just making a comment on how it's not clear that he's written any songs, but rather he just shreds with abandon and does his best Kaki King impersonation.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I somehow missed that Hikaru and Arman had much of a friendship so when there's all this heartfelt stuff between them right before H leaves I'm like, where the hell is this coming from?

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I somehow missed that Hikaru and Arman had much of a friendship so when there's all this heartfelt stuff between them right before H leaves I'm like, where the hell is this coming from?

I wish they'd give some time to the friendships besides the romance, 'cause yeah, we didn't really see any of that.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Just finished AS ep3
    Man, they really blew their nice boy budget on Yusuke, didn't they? That's why they had to fill out the other two spots with chumps?

Edit: ep4
    Jesus Christ, Eric. You were a jerkass and hurt her feelings, and then you ask her to stop what she's doing and come over to you for the honour of an apology? Fuck off, you thoughtless, arrogant tool. You're like the anti-Hansan.

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    Finished Part 1 of Aloha State and I must say that these people are, for the most part, bland as fuck. The peanut gallery is at the top of their game, but it's arguable that they realized they needed to come with something extra to make this entertaining.

Ep 6 - 8 spoilers:
    So much time was wasted on Yusuke's bewildered puppy lusting after Lauren, who literally chastises the gang for encouraging Yusuke knowing full well that Lauren isn't interested in the slightest. And that could be something dramatic, but instead it's just some ho-hum "yeah, you're right — we all just want to be so nice!"

At least they inspired plenty of jokes about Yusuke's "ukulele".

• Options
    Aloha State post-episode 8 thoughts:
    I have to agree that this group of housemates is considerably less enjoyable than any group on Boys & Girls In the City. I like Yusuke and Lauren's artistic abilities, and Yuya seems alright if a bit emotionally ignorant, but nobody seems to be meshing that well, and Eric just seems kinda... not invested. We saw how hard the entire situation was for Naomi, so I'm sad things didn't really seem to get better for her before she decided to leave, but I hope whoever takes her place can help mix things up a bit.

I felt sheer dread for Yusuke when Lauren told Avian she wasn't interested in him, because I have been Yusuke before. Except for the brilliant guitar skills. I was 22 or 23, very shy, never had a girlfriend, and had only ever been on one date with no chemistry whatsoever. Then I met a girl and crushed on her for way too long before I worked up the courage to ask her out, and she basically agreed just to see what would happen, even though she didn't see me as anything other than a friend. One awkward date and I gave up. This gave me vivid flashbacks.

I'm rooting for Yusuke to gain some self confidence as some sort of proxy victory, but that's not something that happens in a few weeks, so I don't know where he'll go from here.

• Options
    Whoaaaaa hey Masako
    How you livin'?

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Whoaaaaa hey Masako
    How you livin'?

Right?

Also for anyone feeling bad for the first person to leave Aloha State, looking at Instagram they've been adopted by the Boys & Girls in The City crew, found a picture of them hanging out with Uchi, Masako, Riko, and Momoka

• Options
    Super not cool with Riko's swimsuit photo shoot

• Options
    Super not cool with Riko's swimsuit photo shoot

Yeah, that was

uncomfortable.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    Episode 43/44
    Holy shit this Riko and Hayato reveal is amazing

• Options
    ARMAN
    MY DUDE
    THE LAST MINUTE WIN

• Options
    ARMAN
    MY DUDE
    THE LAST MINUTE WIN
    Near as I can tell from social media they're the only couple still together, too

• Options
    All according to keikaku

• Options
    Aloha State really is the Lauren Show with special guests everyone else.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Boys and Girls in the City ep 35:
    Wow was that turn around from Handa leaving to new member insane.
    I'd say I wish I had 1/10th the drive Handa does but I guess I rather enjoy not pulling all nighters and chain smoking too.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    I finished Boys and Girls in the City and am on episode 4 of Aloha State now.

B&GITC:
    Everything that happened with Riko and Hayato was like the most crazy drama the entire season. When he was waiting for her at the restaurant it was heartbreaking, I didn't know people actually did that outside of my Japanese animes. I dunno if it's just the fact that it took place over like a year or more or that I had to take a break for PAX but near the end something the couch crew said reminded me of Tap and it just felt like ages ago.

Aloha ep1-3:
    I miss the old house, this one isn't as open so it doesn't flow as well but can't beat that view I guess.
    Also Eric is a giant dick, not just for the surfing incident but how he keeps bringing up Yusuke is a virgin. The couch crew just getting so nasty without Torichan around was pretty hilarious though.

Lasbrook on
  • Options
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    I finished Boys and Girls in the City and am on episode 4 of Aloha State now.

B&GITC:
    Everything that happened with Riko and Hayato was like the most crazy drama the entire season. When he was waiting for her at the restaurant it was heartbreaking, I didn't know people actually did that outside of my Japanese animes. I dunno if it's just the fact that it took place over like a year or more or that I had to take a break for PAX but near the end something the couch crew said reminded me of Tap and it just felt like ages ago.

Aloha ep1-3:
    I miss the old house, this one isn't as open so it doesn't flow as well but can't beat that view I guess.
    Also Eric is a giant dick, not just for the surfing incident but how he keeps bringing up Yusuke is a virgin. The couch crew just getting so nasty without Torichan around was pretty hilarious though.

I'm pretty sure you're mixing up who is saying what with your second point about Eric, it's mostly/entirely Yuya saying that stuff.

• Options
    TulabelleTulabelle Registered User regular
    I think the hosts mentioned this about Yuya, but it's been awhile.
    When he is with Eric (or the group) he is kind of a jerk, when he has a one-on-one with someone he is much cooler and even gives pretty good advice.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Tulabelle wrote: »
    I think the hosts mentioned this about Yuya, but it's been awhile.
    When he is with Eric (or the group) he is kind of a jerk, when he has a one-on-one with someone he is much cooler and even gives pretty good advice.

Yeah Yuya has younger brother syndrome with Eric pretty bad

• Options
    Wow the girl from the old show who shows up is really irritating huh

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    I thought she was great.

• Options
    Artereis wrote: »
    I thought she was great.

She was a little annoying but this group really, really needed for her to show up.

• Options
    She was a whirlwind. She was fun for the short time she was there, but I'm pretty sure she'd get real tiring real fast.

I wonder how much the peanut gallery knows in advance since Yamasato was like "It would be crazy if she showed up, right?!" and then she did.

• Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    Terrace House: Aloha State Part 2 now on Netflix.

Yeeeeeees!

PAD ID - 328,762,218