Options

JRPG Thread: Suikoden is fun to say.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    One of the things I like so much about Bersaria is that it manages to take characters that by all rights should be pretty flat and 1-dimensional and make them feel like pretty rounded characters by adding just enough besides their "main" characteristics to make them seem more like real people

General Character spoilers for Eizen
    Eizen is a Malak (elemental spirit) who's been cursed to always have bad luck. Originally he's shown to just be a pouty emo brooder boy, but eventually its shown he is obsessed with making his own destiny and not letting the curse 'beat' him... so he does shit like have a two headed coin made so he can't land on tails. He also tries to buck his 'destiny' in other ways, like he is an Earth Malak, meaning he is basically an earth bender... so he decides to become a pirate because fuck my birthright telling me what to do.

Then he also has other strong traits like he is goofily obsessed with history and absolutely loves lecturing his teammates on the history of the technique used to make this ancient pottery really its just SO COOL you guys

They do a great job subverting your idea of "ok so he's the brooder", even though he does do that, by making him into a person, and they do that with pretty much everyone

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    So, two weeks to kill before Breath of the Wild lands

SilverWind's going to be gone for most/all of next week, and we haven't been really apart (with me by myself) since we were in university, so that's gonna be weird

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtGsrvd0pGE

Luckily the Best RPG of Its Generation is coming to Wii U's VC tomorrow, and it is big enough to fill up a two week slot nicely. And then some. I don't know if I'll be able to finish it.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    dawg you are crazy if you consider that the best rpg of it's generation

quit being a crazy person

• Options
    I mean I admit I got a narrow experience of the PS1's library but I do like it quite a bit more than any of the PS1 Final Fantasies, or FFT

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    It's not even the best ogre battle game of the generation

• Options
    ff9 is my favorite, but I can get prefering it to other finfans

but like

legend of mana, system shock 2, diablo 2, xenogears, paper mario, suikoden 2, baldurs gate 2

all came out within a year of TO64

now don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic game, but that's some stiff goddamn competition

• Options
    There were no other Ogre Battle games that generation, making it automatically the best

I'd also put it over what I've played of Paper Mario (which isn't much but doesn't seem quite on par with TTYD)

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Wyborn wrote: »
    There were no other Ogre Battle games that generation, making it automatically the best

I'd also put it over what I've played of Paper Mario (which isn't much but doesn't seem quite on par with TTYD)

original paper mario is not as good as ttyd, but I mean ttyd is a legitimate masterpiece

also fucking deus ex and vagrant story too

• Options
    I also prefer it to the 5-8 hours I've played of VS, though that's a heavy hitter

Also this is not an effective list war if your goal is to change my mind

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    it's real weird comparing jurpy jurps and stuff like diablo 2 and deus ex.

like yea they're all technically rpgs but rpg is maybe the widest term in video games because so is everything.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I think the widest term in video games is either RPG or action

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I meant Jurps, though I was not specific enough when I said the thing I said

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    I can recognize that Ogre Battle is very good, but the pace feels so plodding to me.

Which is a problem I have with most turn-based tactics RPGs. They usually just aren't my style.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options

Let Us Cling Together came out in 1998 on the ps1

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    ff9 is my favorite, but I can get prefering it to other finfans

but like

legend of mana, system shock 2, diablo 2, xenogears, paper mario, suikoden 2, baldurs gate 2

all came out within a year of TO64

now don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic game, but that's some stiff goddamn competition

PS1 era Square was releasing flat out awesome games at such an incredible pace. Like at least 3 legitimately great rpgs a year. It was insane creative output that I wish they could've maintained into the next generation, but they were so focused on the latest tech that I feel like they lost sight of what made them so incredibly dominant in the late 90s.

• Options
    edited February 2017

Tactics Ogre isn't Ogre Battle!
    Stilts wrote: »
    I can recognize that Ogre Battle is very good, but the pace feels so plodding to me.

Which is a problem I have with most turn-based tactics RPGs. They usually just aren't my style.

Ogre Battle isn't really turn-based, though its pacing is pretty slow

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Yes it is

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together is the second mainline Ogre Battle game, in between Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen and Ogre Battle 64

Because JRPGs are Stupid, they are of course the fifth sixth and seventh part of an ongoing saga, the other parts of which have not been released

The other two titles, Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis and Legend of Ogre Battle Gaiden: Prince of Zenobia, are not part of the overall saga and are considered spinoffs

WeedLordVegeta on
  • Options

Yes it is

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together is the second mainline Ogre Battle game, in between Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen and Ogee Battle 64

Because JRPGs are Stupid, they are of course the fifth sixth and seventh part of an ongoing saga, the other parts of which have not been released

The other two titles, Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis and Legend of Ogre Battle Gaiden: Prince of Zenobia, are not part of the overall saga and are considered spinoffs

I mean that they are not mechanically the same game or even that similar in genre. Tactics Ogre is a tactics game, the progenitor of FFT, while Ogre Battle is... sort of like a console-ized RTS/RPG hybrid, where your primary input in battle comes down to unit composition? You don't have control outside of over-arching commands (attack enemy with highest HP, attack unit leader, etc.) and being able to use certain magic spells

They're extremely different to play

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Mechanical differences don't disqualify them from being in the same series

And Let Us Cling Together is the best game ever made in its genre, period

• Options
    I didn't discount them as being part of the same series—or, at least, I did not mean to. I apologize if I was not clear in this respect. They're very much part of the same ongoing (ha) saga, but they're mechanically different from each other to such a degree that directly comparing them is imprecise at best.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    final fantasy 13-2 and 13-3 are not in the final fantasy 13 series

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I'm just skimming around these posts and so I can only assume Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together is some kind of ogre dating game and I don't want to find out that its something else

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options

Yes it is

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together is the second mainline Ogre Battle game, in between Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen and Ogee Battle 64

I mean that they are not mechanically the same game or even that similar in genre. Tactics Ogre is a tactics game, the progenitor of FFT, while Ogre Battle is... sort of like a console-ized RTS/RPG hybrid, where your primary input in battle comes down to unit composition? You don't have control outside of over-arching commands (attack enemy with highest HP, attack unit leader, etc.) and being able to use certain magic spells

So are a lot of jrpgs of that era but you said ob64 was better than all of them

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    That first Chaos/Law choice in LuCT is the realest shit in any JRPG

• Options
    Maddoc wrote: »

LuCT makes you feel dirty no matter how well intentioned you are

• Options
    edited February 2017

Yes it is

So are a lot of jrpgs of that era but you said ob64 was better than all of them

I apologize for being contrary
    final fantasy 13-2 and 13-3 are not in the final fantasy 13 series

I legitimately didn't mean anything like that; was just being flippant about the differences between the games in a way that I hoped would be taken humorously. The original tone of the entire conversation was supposed to be flippant, not a staging ground for an actual argument about what the best RPG of that generation was; I was just trying to express my enthusiasm at getting to play the game again

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    tactics ogre games are a real super way to feel depressed

• Options
    ...Also didn't LUCT originally come out in like '94 on the SNES

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    tactics ogre games are a real super way to feel depressed

Still less depressing than Department Heaven and Valkyrie Profile games.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    CromartyCromarty Danielle Registered User regular
    Sounds like I should play LuCT. I really liked OB64; couldn't get into the first one though.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    are there any other games out there which use FF13's take on the ATB system or at least are kinda similar

in general I don't like atb but I thought ff13 did a good job by requiring much less granular control

I dunno if it would be as fun in a game that wasn't as gosh dang pretty as FF13 but who knows

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    Still loving Berseria so much wish I had more free time after work to get through it quicker. That said I have a confession to make. Despite the vast breadth of JRPGs I've played and loved, I have never played a single Persona game... anyone care to convince me to do so? >.>

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Still loving Berseria so much wish I had more free time after work to get through it quicker. That said I have a confession to make. Despite the vast breadth of JRPGs I've played and loved, I have never played a single Persona game... anyone care to convince me to do so? >.>

Do you want to play a decent turn based JRPG with solid characters? Then play P3/4/5.

I mean that's 'bout it honestly.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

Well, Persona 5 is coming out in about two months and Amazon has a lovely return policy if you don't like it.

• Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    What's unique about it though, decent characters and turn based are things that work plenty well for me but is there a particular hook to the series?

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    If Tactics Ogre really is pretty different, I suppose I'll give Lordly Caliber a shot.

Anything I should know about the systems going in?

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    What's unique about it though, decent characters and turn based are things that work plenty well for me but is there a particular hook to the series?

They tend to have really good stories that focus heavily on the psychological aspects of humanity. The cast have things called Personas, which are essentially their "true" selves when humans all wear different kinds of masks. They use these Personas to fight against the various kinds of threats. However, they also tend to have some hangups associated with their human masks. Things like not being able to let go of a toxic relationship, refusing to understand an essential truth, or even just being made aware that they path they're walking is not a good one. When they're confronted with these trials and overcome them their Personas become even stronger, sometimes evolving into more powerful forms. This is why most characters can only have one Persona.

However, in recent games there's been the main character who is kind of a blank slate in terms of his "true" self. This tends to get him the power of the Wild Card, enabling him to swap Personas when no one else can. The Wild Card ties even further into the deep Persona lore, because there's a source of Personas and reasons why they're given.

Madican on
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular

in addition the game plays out day to day, over the course of a year. so the gameplay loop is something like, ok its tuesday so you go to school. stuff will happen at school, maybe you'll be approached to hang out later, stuff like that. after school you make decisions on what to do with your time, whether hang out with party members or other people to raise social links and see their storylines, whether to go shopping or to work a part time job, or whether to take a day and go dungeon diving with your team. then there is usually stuff to do at night also, and then the next day happens.

• Options
    MidniteMidnite Registered User regular
    ...Also didn't LUCT originally come out in like '94 on the SNES

'95 actually, although the PSX version is a port of the Saturn remake that was released in '96.
    Cromarty wrote: »
    Sounds like I should play LuCT. I really liked OB64; couldn't get into the first one though.

LUCT has you playing as a child solider member of a minority group in the process of being ethnically cleansed. It deals with some shit.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »

LuCT makes you feel dirty no matter how well intentioned you are

REALLY BIG LUCT SPOILERS
    IIRC, the only really unambiguously good ending could only be obtained by murdering your sister and then raising your rep with all three major ethnicities to the point where nobody sends an assassin after you in the ending.

I could be wrong, but I think all of the endings with Kachua still alive have some caveat to them

This discussion has been closed.