As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

OLD THREAD.

• Options
    arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    I can tell, but I try not to worry about those types of things anymore. Star Wars has been worth more to the fans than it has been to the creators for years now.

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    subl1mesubl1me Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Was 100% happy until I read that there's going to be a novel that will 'enhance the game. More backstory'.

He's an interesting idea: Tell the whole story in the damn game!

I am shocked that Lucas would endorse such a blatantly money-gouging maneuver!

I doubt it has the slightest thing to do with George Lucas. Oh, and the Mass Effect guys did this too. Fuck Bioware, right? Or not? Because it's not cool to hate them? Oh.

Obvious joke not obvious enough for you there, buddy?

Yeah, Bioware did the same thing with Mass Effect. It bothered me then, too. It's just so unnecessary.

And who said fuck anybody? I'm just a little less jazzed than I was.

You people gotta learn to relax once in a while.

STAR WARS!!!!

Well with the main protagonist being male, there goes any chance for lesbian romance a la Jade Empire or lesbian alien sex a la Mass Effect.

So...

FUCK YOU BIOWARE!!!!!!

Or not.

subl1me on
    subliminate.php
  • Options
    Sunday_AssassinSunday_Assassin Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    With the amazing power of the force he can make anything happen. So I wouldn't rule it out.

Force rub.

Sunday_Assassin on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Drool wrote: »
    I'm watching the first video, and I want to play that goddman wookie game. Fuck brown haired action game guy. I'd rather play a growling wookie than another guy with issues any day. Unless that guy with issues is Batman.

BatWookie

You know you want it.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    If you're able to tell the specific make of a star destroyer and evaluate its capabilities for atomospheric flight at a glance it could be time to reevaluate your life.

Well it's in the atmosphere.

And the Impstars can't fly in atmosphere. Everyone knows that!

And it's really easy, the bridge area is entirely different on the two.

Also I have a stupidly good memory for random trivia.

Khavall on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Why are we killing Stormtroopers if you are Vaders apprentice?

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »

Because you're Vader's secret apprentice?

Khavall on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008

"Secret Apprentice." As I see it, no one knows you exist. To the Stormtroopers you're just some guy trying to get into areas they're told not to let you into. As such, you throw them through panes of glass. Seems reasonalble.

EDIT: Wow, beat'd... by three minutes. I'm slow.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008

I was thinking that was our big clue that your character will, at some point, see the "error of his ways" and start to turn from the dark side.

Vargas Prime on
  • Options
    Vash108Vash108 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

I was thinking that was our big clue that your character will, at some point, see the "error of his ways" and start to turn from the dark side.

Or he is trying to over throw the Empire and become the Sith Lord. Also he could be doing it for Vader so that Vader will overthrow the Empire.

Vash108 on
    Vash10830042743.jpg
  • Options
    UltaruneUltarune Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I will emphasize the hope that there will be a pc version, I tried playing Jedi Academy with a friend on the X-box and got pretty frustrated with the controls, especially cycling through force powers.

Also, light-tonfas? Really?

Ultarune on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2008
    subl1me wrote: »
    Was 100% happy until I read that there's going to be a novel that will 'enhance the game. More backstory'.

I doubt it has the slightest thing to do with George Lucas. Oh, and the Mass Effect guys did this too. Fuck Bioware, right? Or not? Because it's not cool to hate them? Oh.

Yeah, Bioware did the same thing with Mass Effect. It bothered me then, too. It's just so unnecessary.

STAR WARS!!!!

Well with the main protagonist being male, there goes any chance for lesbian romance a la Jade Empire or lesbian alien sex a la Mass Effect.

So...

FUCK YOU BIOWARE!!!!!!

Or not.

How did Biowares good name get dragged into the Force Unleashed protagonist being male?

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    apotheos wrote: »
    subl1me wrote: »

STAR WARS!!!!

So...

FUCK YOU BIOWARE!!!!!!

Or not.

How did Biowares good name get dragged into the Force Unleashed protagonist being male?

Hey, don't blame them, it looks like you started it. It was a strange chain of events that unfolded once you uttered their name.

Vargas Prime on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Hey, don't blame them, it looks like you started it. It was a strange chain of events that unfolded once you uttered their name.

This just in! Indeed, apotheos and Tube are not the same person! More at eleven.

Fig-D on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Fig-D wrote: »

This just in! Indeed, apotheos and Tube are not the same person! More at eleven.

LIES!

Khavall on
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Ultarune wrote: »
    I will emphasize the hope that there will be a pc version, I tried playing Jedi Academy with a friend on the X-box and got pretty frustrated with the controls, especially cycling through force powers.

Hopefully if it's designed for the Xbox it will be ok to control. Ported PC games always seem to have horrific console controls. Jedi Academy on the Xbox was really awkward compared to the PC one.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Woops!

Uhh... I mean, that's what you think.

:whistle:

Vargas Prime on
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    <insert standard response about how I'm not a fan of the 'XXXtreme lolz!" feature creep in force powers>

That said, I'm still buying this ASAP.

I suspect that Crashdown will initially be Vader's little bitch/attack dog/whatever , but then have a "crisis of conscience" and learn from that General Vota or whoever and start working for the Rebellion, or at the very least, work for himself.

or

Vader sics him after some renegade faction of the Empire, thus explaining the continued use of stormtroopers as fodder.

or

combine that and once again you get the light side/dark side choice.

VoodooV on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    VoodooV wrote: »
    <insert standard response about how I'm not a fan of the 'XXXtreme lolz!" feature creep in force powers>

That said, I'm still buying this ASAP.

I suspect that Crashdown will initially be Vader's little bitch/attack dog/whatever , but then have a "crisis of conscience" and learn from that General Vota or whoever and start working for the Rebellion, or at the very least, work for himself.

or

Vader sics him after some renegade faction of the Empire, thus explaining the continued use of stormtroopers as fodder.

or

combine that and once again you get the light side/dark side choice.

Well, when the head writer says that above all else The Force Unleashed is a story of redemption, you kinda know where it's headed.

Fig-D on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2008
    Ultarune wrote: »

We have come a long way from the old skool of lousy console ports of PC games.

Well maybe not a long way. But some way.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I don't think this game is going to play anything like Jedi Academy.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Well, those looking for info about the Wii version can head over to the new IGN story on it here. Screen shots are included.

Fig-D on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Yeah, not to spoil too much, but the last few pages of the thread...
    we confirmed earlier in the thread that the stormtrooper fighting is because Vader orders you to because they know too much.

And Nintendo Power confirmed that you eventually see the error of your ways.

EDIT: That doesn't look/sound too bad, but once again the motion control sounds pretty dang tacked on. :(

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    New tech video up:

http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/17252

Ok, that's impressive.

Meiz on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Meiz wrote: »
    New tech video up:

Ok, that's impressive.

Yeah, I've got it in the OP. Hell, it was after seeing that video that I made the OP. The first few seconds where the lighter saber is being tossed through the trees and my jaw hit the floor.

Fig-D on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    New tech video up:

Ok, that's impressive.

Yeah, I've got it in the OP. Hell, it was after seeing that video that I made the OP. The first few seconds where the lighter saber is being tossed through the trees and my jaw hit the floor.

Sorry, I just scanned the urls and looked at the ids to see if it was up there.

I don't think "fucking sick" is a strong enough term. See, this is what you're supposed to do with a license.

Meiz on
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Its been awhile since we had a good star wars game , hopefully this one will be awesome.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Well, those looking for info about the Wii version can head over to the new IGN story on it here. Screen shots are included.

I think this actually looks worse (graphically) then Jedi Knight 2.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    New tech video up:

Ok, that's impressive.

I don't think "fucking sick" is a strong enough term. See, this is what you're supposed to do with a license.

Yeah I haven't been this impressed with a game video in a long long time.

corin7 on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    TelMarine wrote: »

I think this actually looks worse (graphically) then Jedi Knight 2.

Yeah... note my total lack of enthusiasm in that post lol. God damnit. I hope against hope that a multi-console Wii game won't look like a cheap PS2 port (or PSP port in some cases) and I am often utterly disappointed. Like I said before, lack of effort. Krome made their own physics engine for the game? What the hell is wrong with Havok? They can't give me some bullshit about processing power of the Wii or some garbage because some PS2 games were running a version of Havok. Ugh, God almighty, I wanna hurt some people.

Fig-D on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I hope there's ewoks and jawas in this game. Or oooh, sand people.

This is more like pulling the wings off a fly kind of a deal, only you have the force, and they can shoot back.

Meiz on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    corin7 wrote: »
    New tech video up:

Ok, that's impressive.

Yeah I haven't been this impressed with a game video in a long long time.

Euphoria I dont give a shit about. Havok is still balls as ever.

Its the molecular physics thing. that shit needs to become standard.

Like seriously, just make that middleware and license it to everyone for a fuckton of cash. That seems like as much of a generational leap in physics as Half Life 2 was (which seems almost prehistoric in comparison)

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm just pissed we'll never see a game where the player is a rampaging wookie because George Lucas can't wrap his head around the idea of telling a Star Wars story not about a Jedi finding redemption with the help of a love interest and a wacky robot sidekick (enough already).

Let alone a main character that doesn't speak non regional American English. I just want to grab his big ears and yell, "Gordon Freeman doesn't speak at all you mother fucker."

Drool on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Wow, I was just like "Why the fuck would you want EWOKS in the... oh. Riiiight. I have seen the light, and I second this decision."

Fig-D on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I'm just pissed we'll never see a game where the player is a rampaging wookie because George Lucas can't wrap his head around the idea of telling a Star Wars story not about a Jedi finding redemption with the help of a love interest and a wacky robot sidekick (enough already).

Let alone a main character that doesn't speak non regional American English. I just want to grab his big ears and yell, "Gordon Freeman doesn't speak at all you mother fucker."

Star Wars: Force Unleashed makes me excited for the next Prince of Persia game, cause lucasarts have set up a monopoly on generic rage maybe the Prince can make an adequate successor to Sands of Time.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    I also wish the Wii version wouldn't be cats balls.
    I find your lack of faith disturbing.
    46172056_baf1e036cc.jpg

No More Heroes shows what can be done with a Jedi game on the Wii, provided sufficient imagination.

GungHo on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008

I am fairly certain that Lucas has very little to do with this game.

Also Rogue Squadron and Bounty Hunter had no redemption with Jedi and love interests. Ditto with Republic Commando.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Bloods End wrote: »
    I am fairly certain that Lucas has very little to do with this game.

Watch the first video in the OP. Lucas had to approve the story. He shot down an idea about a game where the PC is a badass wookie. I.E. the best idea for a video game ever.
    Bloods End wrote: »
    Also Rogue Squadron and Bounty Hunter had no redemption with Jedi and love interests. Ditto with Republic Commando.

Well fine, but you get my point.

Drool on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I just want to see some actual gameplay. How does an encounter with some enemies play out? If you can force push 10 stormtroopers at a time, then where's the challenge? There has to be some enemy type or something that they're not showing. Or you literally face off against hundreds of stormtroopers at a time. I'd be cool with that. Wading through massive armies of enemies like Sauron with a lightsaber.

By the way, the reverse grip the main character uses is awesome.

Renzo on
  • Options
    HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I imagine to keep things interesting, theres going to be some ridiculous boss encounters.

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__