As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

OLD THREAD.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Oddjob187 wrote: »
    subedii wrote: »
    I just watched part 2 of those LA making of documentary things for this game.

I didn't realise that George Lucas actually specified that there had to be a comedic sidekick character. Man I feel sorry for the devs on that one. Even the Jedi Knight series never had a commedy sidekick.

Yea I winced when I heard that. Great way to shit up a game is to demand it has to have a love interest and a comedian side kick. All a star wars game needs is light sabers, force powers, and a story that involves the death of thousands of people. Preferably millions. We can live without another bloody wookie/jarjar/c3p0 fucking spin off George you dick.

Also, make a damned X-wing game.

THey could make a HK sidekick. Hes not a tard like Jar Jar. But yeah George, haven't you learned yet that you lost the touch nearly 3 decades ago? You didn't really have it then, you lucked out.

/urge to post youtube video of Transformers song rising

shryke on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Why are you guys listing awesome star wars games without listing Republic Commando?

What is wrong with you people?

Edit: I am slow at making post.

Right now I'll just have to say this game is maybe a rental at best. It looks like it will get repetitive fast. Plus I think the character seems far too brooding and "eXtreme". Let me hold my lightsaber behind me for shits and giggles, wee!

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Sunday_AssassinSunday_Assassin Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I didn't pick up Republic Commando until very late on. Don't think I paid more than £5 for it. New.

It took me two days to finish it, and was fantastic.

To be honest I can't remember many of the details, but whenever I play a game with squad mechanics I am always unimpressed. Republic Commando got it right.

I would not say no to a sequel. A version with a squad of Jedi would also be acceptable.

Sunday_Assassin on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I didn't pick up Republic Commando until very late on. Don't think I paid more than £5 for it. New.

It took me two days to finish it, and was fantastic.

To be honest I can't remember many of the details, but whenever I play a game with squad mechanics I am always unimpressed. Republic Commando got it right.

I would not say no to a sequel. A version with a squad of Jedi would also be acceptable.

I always wanted a sequel. The last Mission could have Order 66 called right in the middle of it. Then you've gotta take down your Jedi allies who've been helping you the whole time.

shryke on
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This...

This looks fantastic.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    no lightsaber mechanics: no buy

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    2008020132a0d5aro4.jpg

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This will most likely be the game that gets me to buy a 360.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So I also was kind of taken aback by the insane use of Force powers and stuff when this thing was announced.

Then I rationalized it as: this guy is somehow tapping into the raw power unleashed by the slaughter of all those Jedi. And maybe he's genetically engineered like Anakin or some shit. Or maybe he's one of the Emperor's clones given his own mind.

So now I am totally hot for this game and the only thing I have against it is that it isn't TIE Fighter 2 or Empire Commando.

EDIT: Of course, we all know TIE Fighter 2 will never happen because the spaceflight sim genre is dead because of the ubiquity of consoles.

I do have the hope that Lucasarts will sack up and make Empire Commando, but I have this sinking feeling it might be mostly third-person console action game for the rest of forever.

august on
  • Options
    HaterotHaterot Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The technology for this game is loads of awesome. The story looks meh. And was anyone thinking "Jesus is this guy Overpowered or what!!?" I mean he looks more OP that a warlock!

Haterot on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    How does the woman with the light-tonfas not cut off her own arm?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    ZevverlithZevverlith Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    subl1me wrote: »
    Was 100% happy until I read that there's going to be a novel that will 'enhance the game. More backstory'.

He's an interesting idea: Tell the whole story in the damn game!

I am shocked that Lucas would endorse such a blatantly money-gouging maneuver!

I doubt it has the slightest thing to do with George Lucas. Oh, and the Mass Effect guys did this too. Fuck Bioware, right? Or not? Because it's not cool to hate them? Oh.

Obvious joke not obvious enough for you there, buddy?

Yeah, Bioware did the same thing with Mass Effect. It bothered me then, too. It's just so unnecessary.

And who said fuck anybody? I'm just a little less jazzed than I was.

You people gotta learn to relax once in a while.

STAR WARS!!!!

Well with the main protagonist being male, there goes any chance for lesbian romance a la Jade Empire or lesbian alien sex a la Mass Effect.

So...

FUCK YOU BIOWARE!!!!!!

Or not.

What is this lesbian sex everyone keeps talking about in Mass Effect, I mean where exactly is it in the game?

Zevverlith on
    Cake or Death?
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Zevverlith wrote: »
    subl1me wrote: »
    Was 100% happy until I read that there's going to be a novel that will 'enhance the game. More backstory'.

He's an interesting idea: Tell the whole story in the damn game!

I am shocked that Lucas would endorse such a blatantly money-gouging maneuver!

I doubt it has the slightest thing to do with George Lucas. Oh, and the Mass Effect guys did this too. Fuck Bioware, right? Or not? Because it's not cool to hate them? Oh.

Obvious joke not obvious enough for you there, buddy?

Yeah, Bioware did the same thing with Mass Effect. It bothered me then, too. It's just so unnecessary.

And who said fuck anybody? I'm just a little less jazzed than I was.

You people gotta learn to relax once in a while.

STAR WARS!!!!

Well with the main protagonist being male, there goes any chance for lesbian romance a la Jade Empire or lesbian alien sex a la Mass Effect.

So...

FUCK YOU BIOWARE!!!!!!

Or not.

What is this lesbian sex everyone keeps talking about in Mass Effect, I mean where exactly is it in the game?

Possibly NSFW, and according to Fox News the spawn of Satan himself: The Mass Effect human/alien lesbian "sex" scene.

But back to Star Wars, anyone who's not sure the story will be any good should probably wait it out before passing judgement. The lead story/direction guy on this project knows what he's doing.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    Something WittySomething Witty Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm sceptical, the idea sounds good but I don't like it being set in the 20 year period between Episode 3 and 4. It would have been cooler if it was set in the Old Republic or something. I also have a problem with a Sith apprentice demonstrating more power than you could see in any of the movies. I think it would have been easier to accept if you were playing a sith lord or something earlier in the timeline. Also the time periods around the films are kind of over saturated with stuff at this point, why can't people move on? I get that clone troopers are cool but so are mandolorians.

Anyway I'll still be checking this out, does it have MP? I love the idea of an epic 16 player light saber fight and there are precious few games that let you do that kind of thing. I never played any of the Jedi Knight games but I heard that Jedi Academy had MP, how was that?

Something Witty on
    IMWithDentToo.png
  • Options
    rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm sceptical, the idea sounds good but I don't like it being set in the 20 year period between Episode 3 and 4. It would have been cooler if it was set in the Old Republic or something. I also have a problem with a Sith apprentice demonstrating more power than you could see in any of the movies. I think it would have been easier to accept if you were playing a sith lord or something earlier in the timeline. Also the time periods around the films are kind of over saturated with stuff at this point, why can't people move on? I get that clone troopers are cool but so are mandolorians.

Anyway I'll still be checking this out, does it have MP? I love the idea of an epic 16 player light saber fight and there are precious few games that let you do that kind of thing. I never played any of the Jedi Knight games but I heard that Jedi Academy had MP, how was that?
    I used to have Jedi Outcast and that game was fucking BADASS for multiplayer. You could make your character half light/half dark for the fast speed into an immediate chokehold from the dark force.

Check it out. i used to love the game until i lost it :(

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I also have a problem with a Sith apprentice demonstrating more power than you could see in any of the movies.

Just to clarify, the game and the other "Unleashed" products have a over-the-top vision of the Force. The Apprentice is not displaying greater powers than Darth Vader as far as the "Unleashed" branding is concerned, as Vader could probably level a large city in this "Unleashed" vision. As people have said, compare "Unleashed" to the animated Clone Wars series. Now compare the Apprentice to the animated Clone Wars Mace Windu. That should give you a more appropriate idea of the Apprentice's level of control over his body and the Force.

Fig-D on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

I used to have Jedi Outcast and that game was fucking BADASS for multiplayer. You could make your character half light/half dark for the fast speed into an immediate chokehold from the dark force.

Yeah, Jedi Outcast MP was awesome. IIRC most of the remaining players are on the JO++ mod, or whatever the heck it's called (left before that community really started going).

Favourite was Capture the Flag. It's like most people never realised how powerful Force Persuasion could be, they'd always go for the more offensive stuff. For me it was just, Persuade, sneak into flag room, wait until it's clear, backstab the guy guarding the flag, and Force Speed it the heck out of there. Bonus points if you picked up a portable shield generator on the way, just choose the right section to run through (not too wide, preferably with a low ceiling so they can't force-jump over it) and dump it as you run through. That crowd that was chasing you has to waste valuable seconds hacking away whilst you make a clean gettaway. I had so many caps that way, it was awesome.

Heck, it's one of the few games where even though there was always plenty of plenty of deathmatch action to be going around, there were also loads of people queuing up for the 1-on-1 duel servers.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Fig-D wrote: »
    I also have a problem with a Sith apprentice demonstrating more power than you could see in any of the movies.

Just to clarify, the game and the other "Unleashed" products have a over-the-top vision of the Force. The Apprentice is not displaying greater powers than Darth Vader as far as the "Unleashed" branding is concerned, as Vader could probably level a large city in this "Unleashed" vision. As people have said, compare "Unleashed" to the animated Clone Wars series. Now compare the Apprentice to the animated Clone Wars Mace Windu. That should give you a more appropriate idea of the Apprentice's level of control over his body and the Force.

Unfortunately being unleashed does not guarantee being as cool as Mace Windu in Clone Wars.

Man, I still can't understand how Genddy Tartakovsky could make everything so awesome, and the Geroge Lucas could take that and thoroughly destroy it (General Grievous, I'm looking at you!)

subedii on
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Yeah, Jedi Outcast MP was awesome. IIRC most of the remaining players are on the JO++ mod, or whatever the heck it's called (left before that community really started going).

Favourite was Capture the Flag. It's like most people never realised how powerful Force Persuasion could be, they'd always go for the more offensive stuff. For me it was just, Persuade, sneak into flag room, wait until it's clear, backstab the guy guarding the flag, and Force Speed it the heck out of there. Bonus points if you picked up a portable shield generator on the way, just choose the right section to run through (not too wide, preferably with a low ceiling so they can't force-jump over it) and dump it as you run through. That crowd that was chasing you has to waste valuable seconds hacking away whilst you make a clean gettaway. I had so many caps that way, it was awesome.

Heck, it's one of the few games where even though there was always plenty of plenty of deathmatch action to be going around, there were also loads of people queuing up for the 1-on-1 duel servers.

problem i had with jedi outcast was all the guns were pretty much horrible and all the saber only crap. Yeah yeah light sabers are cool, but in Jedi Knight 1 the guns were also pretty damn sweet. I couldn't believe how they nerfed the crap out of the concussion rifle and completely removed the rail gun.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    TelMarine wrote: »

problem i had with jedi outcast was all the guns were pretty much horrible and all the saber only crap. Yeah yeah light sabers are cool, but in Jedi Knight 1 the guns were also pretty damn sweet. I couldn't believe how they nerfed the crap out of the concussion rifle and completely removed the rail gun.

Things like Blasters were pretty useless since they were usually deflected, but area affect attacks like the alt-fire on the repeater usually netted me a few kills. Also, didn't the laser / sniper rifle (forget it's name) still work?

I remember one time, this guy came up to me with a blaster in a narrow corridor. Shot me a few times, no good, blocked every shot. Then he tries to cheese his way through by using force push? Nope, Force pull? Still doesn't work. Finally, he takes out his lightsabre, and is all "face me now in honourable combat." So I 'forget' honour, take out my repeater and blast him to bits. See, this is why the Sith are so awesome compared to Jedi. :mrgreen:

subedii on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Unfortunately being unleashed does not guarantee being as cool as Mace Windu in Clone Wars.

Man, I still can't understand how Genddy Tartakovsky could make everything so awesome, and the Geroge Lucas could take that and thoroughly destroy it (General Grievous, I'm looking at you!)

I don't really know much about him but it seems like George Lucas just really loves to take massive shits all over the Extended Universe. I guess that's and exageration but one of my chief dissapointments with Epidode III was what they did to Grievous. The Ep III novelisation and the Clone Wars cartoon really got my hopes up and Lucas just crushed those hopes.

Something Witty on
    IMWithDentToo.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008

I don't really know much about him but it seems like George Lucas just really loves to take massive shits all over the Extended Universe. I guess that's and exageration but one of my chief dissapointments with Epidode III was what they did to Grievous. The Ep III novelisation and the Clone Wars cartoon really got my hopes up and Lucas just crushed those hopes.

Well to be fair, the concept of Grievous was given to Genddy Tartakovsky by Lucas. They just implemented him that way in Clone Wars according to how they felt this big bad Jedi slayer ought to be (and it was glorious ). Then GL does what he does in Episode 3, and Season 2 of Clone Wars has to do a Retcon just to explain why General Grievous has suddenly become so pathetic. And even then after having built him up so much, they still don't quite manage it.

Really you can't take any of the extended universe as canon, It's the movies that define the canon, everything else is subject to change should the movies change it. Unless George Lucas says it is, then it's not a "permanent" (for want of a better word) part of the universe, irrespective of how much backstory it draws on. Hey, it's his right, after all it's his property.

But I still wish he had just looked at Clone Wars, thought "You know what, this Grievous dude is awesome, let's keep him the way he is." and left it at that.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Really you can't take any of the extended universe as canon, It's the movies that define the canon, everything else is subject to change should the movies change it. Unless George Lucas says it is, then it's not a "permanent" (for want of a better word) part of the universe, irrespective of how much backstory it draws on. Hey, it's his right, after all it's his property.

I know, I just don't like it because George Lucas is an evil, evil man. Alot of stuff in the EU is flat out better than anything GL has done in recent years, why must this continue? Agh.

Something Witty on
    IMWithDentToo.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I pretty much came to the conclusion a long time ago that I love the Star Wars setting except for the movies. Really, it is a pretty awesome setting, with plenty of room for all sorts of cool stuff to happen, and plenty of timeline to play around with (as KotoR showed especially well). Just pick and choose the better fiction to come from that setting. :P

subedii on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited February 2008
    We are not having an EU versus canon debate in here, or a "george lucas suxxors lol" circlejerk. No. NO NO NO. There are more than enough places on the internet to do that. Get over it. This thread is about the game. Besides, anyone that likes the EU materials is a potential rapist.

Tube on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

I know, I just don't like it because George Lucas is an evil, evil man. Alot of stuff in the EU is flat out better than anything GL has done in recent years, why must this continue? Agh.

The EU content tends to be too depressing for my tastes.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited February 2008
    What did I just say?

Tube on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Back to the game then, and is there any word on what (if any) form the multiplayer will take?

Or even the sabre combat? The sabre combat in the PC-Games was fairly free-flowing, but I can't really see that working on a controller, except maybe the Wiimote.

EDIT: Tube, he posted like a minute after you, and probably before he saw your post as a result. No need to go crazy. :mrgreen:

subedii on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Back to the game then, and is there any word on what (if any) form the multiplayer will take?

Or even the sabre combat? The sabre combat in the PC-Games was fairly free-flowing, but I can't really see that working on a controller, except maybe the Wiimote.

As far as I know multiplayer has been discussed for the Wii (and PS2 I think?) version(s) only. As far as saber combat is concerned, I'm fairly certain that it will be pretty simple as the main focus is on over-the-top Force powers. Saber combat will be there because it has to be, but probably won't have much purpose beyond having something to kill your foes with while your "Force meter," or whatever they're going with, recharges.

Fig-D on
  • Options
    rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    What did I just say?
    You said to stop the talking about it, yet you stated your own opinion of the matter?

:/

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    TelMarine wrote: »
    Too bad the Penny Arcade Mod died.
    Another mod I was expecting to lament was the Dark Forces Total Conversion, though it looks like they are actually making some slow progress and just put up a 6 level pack

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    edited February 2008

As far as I know multiplayer has been discussed for the Wii (and PS2 I think?) version(s) only. As far as saber combat is concerned, I'm fairly certain that it will be pretty simple as the main focus is on over-the-top Force powers. Saber combat will be there because it has to be, but probably won't have much purpose beyond having something to kill your foes with while your "Force meter," or whatever they're going with, recharges.

Yeah, their going for Brute Force over Finesse. And I think the Lightsaber definitely qualifies as a finesse weapon. The guy you play probably hasn't trained in it much anyway. You'll probably get a few, brute force slashes and stuff. Nothing fancy.

On that note, we want another Jedi Knight game motherfuckers.

shryke on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    shryke wrote: »

Yeah, their going for Brute Force over Finesse. And I think the Lightsaber definitely qualifies as a finesse weapon. The guy you play probably hasn't trained in it much anyway. You'll probably get a few, brute force slashes and stuff. Nothing fancy.

Doesn;t the way he holds his blade lend itself to assassinations and quick kills over actual fighting?

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Doesn;t the way he holds his blade lend itself to assassinations and quick kills over actual fighting?

I think it lends itself more to getting shot in the face.

He's holding the fucking thing behind him in a backwards grip.

shryke on
  • Options
    meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Okay...maybe this is flippantly obvious but...if that guy's Darth Vader's apprentice, why is he killing storm troopers in all those screenies?

I mean I guess if you're Vader's apprentice you can kill whoever the fuck you want, but those guys are on his side. It made sense in all the previous games because in those you were a Jedi.

Seriously...what am I missing here?

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    meatflower wrote: »
    Okay...maybe this is flippantly obvious but...if that guy's Darth Vader's apprentice, why is he killing storm troopers in all those screenies?

I mean I guess if you're Vader's apprentice you can kill whoever the fuck you want, but those guys are on his side. It made sense in all the previous games because in those you were a Jedi.

Wasn't he always acting against the Emperor for power? Though not as much in the movies.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Basic, SECRET APPRENTICE, and Vader decided that those Storm Troopers knew too much for their own good.

Fig-D on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Basic, SECRET APPRENTICE, and Vader decided that those Storm Troopers knew too much for their own good.

Yeah really like it's the first time we've seen Vader kill his own men. :D
    What did I just say?

Sorry about that when I hit reply your post hadn't shown up yet.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    edited February 2008

I think it lends itself more to getting shot in the face.

subedii on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008

Man can we put giant like, shiny neon letters on the word SECRET in the OP or something?

Stormies in the empire are seen as worth nothing, because there are a billion. If one of them sees some dude who isn't supposed to exist flinging other homosexual stormies around you really think the guy'll say "Meh, no need to be overly aggressive! They probably won't tell anyone that I was here and that there's a reason all the other stormies are dead"?

No he'll say nothing because he'll be too busy slamming them against bulkheads.

Khavall on