• Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    and now I want it even more.

LewieP on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    All these "blah blah I am a reviewer so I am going to emphasize the flaws more than anything else" is reminding me I still haven't gotten Alone in the Dark.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Was that a positive review?

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    All these "blah blah I am a reviewer so I am going to emphasize the flaws more than anything else" is reminding me I still haven't gotten Alone in the Dark.

To be fair, that looks genuinely shit. The PS3 version is apparently a lot better though, they fixed most of the stupid problems.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    Eight RooksEight Rooks Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hmmm. I definitely want it, though I do think more and more I'm going to agree with a lot of its flaws. I was always prepared for the linearity, and a lot of the faults they bring up probably won't bother me much, but three review sources I pay a lot of attention to think the story's rubbish (1Up, Edge UK, Eurogamer) - I am now severely lowering my expectations. :(

Although
    Faith, the strikingly designed lead, sounds like she's seconds away from offering you a timeshare with her anodyne Californian accent

is the kind of stupid, stupid line that makes me slightly embarrassed to be British. Never had any problems with her voiceovers in what I've seen so far. Not every lead character has to be bursting with "personality", like some cheesy 80s day-glo action movie.

Eight Rooks on
    <AtlusParker> Sorry I'm playing Pokemon and vomiting at the same time so I'm not following the conversation in a linear fashion.

Read my book. (It has a robot in it.)
  • Options
    UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    LewieP wrote: »

Game sucks; go buy it.

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Game sucks; go buy it.

Seven Thumbs Up. :x

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I've always thought of this game as a racing game more than anything else, and a lot of the complaints about this game are irrelevant from this perspective. With few exceptions, racers are linear, and there's a hell of a lot of replay value in them, even if you are just shaving off half a second or so. A racing/platformer game sounds very interesting to me, and story hardly matters in either of those genres.

Also, I really don't understand why they hammer it for being linear. It's not Assassin's Creed or GTA, why does it need a wide open sandbox world? Apart from Burnout Paradise, that's not the way that racing games or platformers work.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Cantido wrote: »

Game sucks; go buy it.

Seven Thumbs Up. :x

I typically like Eurogamer reviews, and the review would probably echo my own sentiments about the game. But it is not a very helpful review. It is a litany of issues they had followed by a lukewarm endorsement despite them. The 8/10 at the end just drives home the cognitive dissonance on display. If it's like Assassin's Creed in that it's an undercooked demonstration of something potentially greater, then their recommendation at the end really should be "Buy it if it interests you, but know well that if you can wait a year or two it's going to be done much better in its sequel".

*And that's my review of the review*

Silly reviews - I know why they're turning out why they are, but $60 is too much money to spend these days on a half-baked experience. Which is probably why I'll end up buying it for $55 or something at newegg anyway :P.

Ultimanecat on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    1up, edge, eurogamer.

I don't trust any of them.

You take as many reviews as possible and average them and then maybe you'll get something worth listening to.

Maybe.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I've always thought of this game as a racing game more than anything else, and a lot of the complaints about this game are irrelevant from this perspective. With few exceptions, racers are linear, and there's a hell of a lot of replay value in them, even if you are just shaving off half a second or so. A racing/platformer game sounds very interesting to me, and story hardly matters in either of those genres.

Also, I really don't understand why they hammer it for being linear. It's not Assassin's Creed or GTA, why does it need a wide open sandbox world? Apart from Burnout Paradise, that's not the way that racing games or platformers work.

But it's not a racing game.

yea, there's a time trial, and I'm sure tons of people are going to have fun shaving points off, but just the same, some people aren't. With a racing game, you're always competing against someone else, even if it just the computer. Plus there's interaction with your competition.

Considering you're seeing/playing the whole game inside a character's head and point of view, I can see why someone would consider the story to be important, or at the very least, wished it was decent.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    noir_blood wrote: »

yea, there's a time trial, and I'm sure tons of people are going to have fun shaving points off, but just the same, some people aren't. With a racing game, you're always competing against someone else, even if it just the computer. Plus there's interaction with your competition.

Considering you're seeing/playing the whole game inside a character's head and point of view, I can see why someone would consider the story to be important, or at the very least, wished it was decent.

Have you never seen rally driving? Or air races?

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    1up, edge, eurogamer.

You take as many reviews as possible and average them and then maybe you'll get something worth listening to.

Maybe.

I... no, I'm not going down this route.

Though I will say (I guess that's obvious, since I just replied to you) that "trust" doesn't come into it, and that I've long been aware I'm in a very small minority as regards the general internet "Every game is brilliant, it's all just your opinion, maaaan" approach to things.

Eight Rooks on
    <AtlusParker> Sorry I'm playing Pokemon and vomiting at the same time so I'm not following the conversation in a linear fashion.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Who cares? We all played the demo so it should be obvious what the decision is.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Blaket wrote: »

You can race against your ghosts as well.

I'm generally not good at racing games, but I got to the point in Burnout 2 where I don't see the competition after the first hundred metres, yet I still enjoy racing it over and over again, against my ghost, trying to get better times. Couple this with the ability to download friends' ghosts, and I'm pretty happy.

If you look at it as a racer, then it seems like a solid, different take on the genre. If you look at it as a platformer, well, let's just say that Mario has never had a good story. People don't play mario for time trials either, but they usually have a lot of replay value. I think that the first person view is causing people to view it as an FPS that's light on shooting, some sort of action/adventure game, and from that perspective, it does have a lot of shortcomings, but I think that's because you're asking it to be something that it's not, something it was never intended to be.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    Doc HollidayDoc Holliday Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Who cares? We all played the demo so it should be obvious what the decision is.

I was going to say this exact thing. I wouldn't mind 8+ hours of gameplay just like the demo, with the added bonus of time trials.

If you hate the demo, and/or you were expecting something besides a linear first person platformer with parkour, then don't buy it. If you like the concept of a first person platformer with parkour, with an interesting visual style and setting, then buy it.

There that's my review!

Doc Holliday on
    PSN & Live: buckwilson
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I played the demo. I liked it. A lot. I'll buy the game.

And I still want/wanted a decent story. You know, since the game is actually being sold as single-player, bold new IP, distinctive design work, setting that was actually thought up in tandem with the basic concept? If it was just "Run very fast across anonymous city rooftops - who are you? Who cares?", sure, I don't think I'd really have much grounds for complaint. But hey, I guess I'll just have to make do with truth, justice and the crusade for individual freedom as brought to you by EATrax. You like treating the game as a pure racer with some ephemeral weird shit going on in the background? Good for you. Some of us were hoping for a little more than that.

Eight Rooks on

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

I'm generally not good at racing games, but I got to the point in Burnout 2 where I don't see the competition after the first hundred metres, yet I still enjoy racing it over and over again, against my ghost, trying to get better times. Couple this with the ability to download friends' ghosts, and I'm pretty happy.

If you look at it as a racer, then it seems like a solid, different take on the genre. If you look at it as a platformer, well, let's just say that Mario has never had a good story. People don't play mario for time trials either, but they usually have a lot of replay value. I think that the first person view is causing people to view it as an FPS that's light on shooting, some sort of action/adventure game, and from that perspective, it does have a lot of shortcomings, but I think that's because you're asking it to be something that it's not, something it was never intended to be.

About the ghosts.

Do you actually see a see through faith running around? or is it something else?

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I played the demo. I liked it. A lot. I'll buy the game.

And I still want/wanted a decent story. You know, since the game is actually being sold as single-player, bold new IP, distinctive design work, setting that was actually thought up in tandem with the basic concept? If it was just "Run very fast across anonymous city rooftops - who are you? Who cares?", sure, I don't think I'd really have much grounds for complaint. But hey, I guess I'll just have to make do with truth, justice and the crusade for individual freedom as brought to you by EATrax. You like treating the game as a pure racer with some ephemeral weird shit going on in the background? Good for you. Some of us were hoping for a little more than that.

I played the demo too and enjoyed it. But if story and gunplay are in the game, it is fair to point them out as being lacking or poorly-implemented, especially when this game seems to take its story pretty seriously. The developer may tell us years from now that they were forced to add those parts to the game and really did just want a pure parkour game, but for now we have to accept that it was their intent all along, and we can judge the game for how well it incorporates them. And honestly, if I wanted a pure parkour game, I'd probably appreciate a more open experience than what this game is offering (more similar to skate or Tony Hawk) instead of a series of linear courses. But of course that's just me.

Ultimanecat on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm not convinced that the story isn't going to be good. It just seems to be understated. I prefer to not have lengthy exposition. What we got from the demo seems to be pretty good. There was an introductory cutscene that adequately conveys the backstory, and we get hints from the person in charge that things ain't quite right. Clearly, the reviewers know something that I don't, but I'm not ready to decry it for having a bad story yet.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008

About the ghosts.

Do you actually see a see through faith running around? or is it something else?

Apparently they have not made 3D models of faith doing her thing, so I don't know.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

About the ghosts.

Apparently they have not made 3D models of faith doing her thing, so I don't know.

Really?

That seems a bit odd since her arms, legs and waist you see while running around. It's strange they didn't model all of her.

Blake T on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I believe it was posted earlier in the thread that they had to kind of mess a few things around to make the perspective actually work, and so it looks right to you from your perspective.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Really?

That seems a bit odd since her arms, legs and waist you see while running around. It's strange they didn't model all of her.

It was brought up earlier in the thread that the model you see from her perspective in the game 1)does not actually resemble a human being and 2) some of the animations were crafted specifically for the perspective and do not look correct outside of it.

Ultimanecat on
  • Options
    McClyMcCly Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Eurogamer gave Fable 2 a 10/10. So, yeah.

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Really?

They have said in interviews that they exaggerated the movements of the player model for the first-person perspective to give the player a better sense of how Faith is moving.

It looks fine in first person but if you were to view it from third-person it would look pretty weird.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    McCly wrote: »

Well to be fair, aside from the bugs (which they might've been lucky enough to miss, who knows) it deserved it.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    darleysam wrote: »

Well to be fair, aside from the bugs (which they might've been lucky enough to miss, who knows) it deserved it.

It was good game, don't get me wrong, but it was an 8 or 9 at most.

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    1up, edge, eurogamer.

Maybe.

Though I will say (I guess that's obvious, since I just replied to you) that "trust" doesn't come into it, and that I've long been aware I'm in a very small minority as regards the general internet "Every game is brilliant, it's all just your opinion, maaaan" approach to things.

I have no idea what you just said but it seemed to work for you.

You really didn't like "trust" though, I gathered that.

Unless you are arguing that researching a potential purchase from many different angles is a bad thing to do?

Because my basic angle there is "Read as many views as possible and make up your own mind."

I can't see how anyone could disagree with that.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The more I play the demo the more I have to draw the comparison to Marble Blast Ultra - and I played that game into the ground.

I love the time trials

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • Options
    PoxPox Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    1up, edge, eurogamer.

Maybe.

Unless you are arguing that researching a potential purchase from many different angles is a bad thing to do?

Because my basic angle there is "Read as many views as possible and make up your own mind."

Well, in a way, if you read a bunch of different perspectives-- yet, you still don't even trust these perspectives/reviews to begin with --wouldn't that mean that, in the end, the conclsuion you reach would be based on opinions you don't even trust to begin with thus making your "product" inconclusive and untrustworthy?

Pox on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I find reading several different reviews to be a good tack. Usually you'll hear a bunch of positive things (that we've been hearing about since media first got their hands on the game at an E3 or whatever), and then a bunch of negatives that are often (not always) individual to the reviewer. Some won't like the interface, some won't enjoy the music, one may experience a gamebreaking bug.

But after reading all these reviews and playing the game, you start to understand that all of the reviewers were "correct", in that the positives and problems they pointed out exist, but their impact on your enjoyment of the game is entirely subjective to you. The best you can glean from reviews is often information about the content of a game and/or its level of polish - its overall quality is, perhaps, best left to metascores and your personal taste.

Case in point: God Hand.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Why does he keep referring to portal when talking about great story? Portal's story is basically "evil robot trapping you oh noes escape!"

edit: eh, scratch that. Apparently I can't read.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Pox wrote: »
    1up, edge, eurogamer.

Maybe.

Well, in a way, if you read a bunch of different perspectives-- yet, you still don't even trust these perspectives/reviews to begin with --wouldn't that mean that, in the end, the conclsuion you reach would be based on opinions you don't even trust to begin with thus making your "product" inconclusive and untrustworthy?

What do you think I mean by trust.

Do you think I believe they lie? Seriously? That way lies madness.

No, it's like chance said above, I don't trust their ability to give a game an ultimately emotionally based overal score without a heavy amount of bias related to their lack of time because of the large amount of games they play.

I don't trust them singularly to apply to me. So I read as many as I can to get an overal impression of how a game functions, and ignore for the most part the emotional slant. They are most definitely not in my situation, so it doesn't apply.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Antihippy wrote: »
    Why does he keep referring to portal when talking about great story? Portal's story is basically "evil robot trapping you oh noes escape!"

the story is simple fine

but if you don't agree that Portal has some of the best writing this side of Chris Avellone

then you have no soul

YaYa on
  • Options
    MoppetMoppet Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    darleysam wrote: »

It was good game, don't get me wrong, but it was an 8 or 9 at most.
    This is exactly why I ignore reviews in general, it's all so subjective. Most game reviewers have become as annoying as political pundits. In that Eurogamer review he spends 95% of his time talking about what's wrong with the game yet ends with an endorsement to buy and an 8/10. Huh?

If it's another typical FPS I expect more because it's all been done before. Put me in a scary house, in space, in a jungle and throw psychos/zombies, aliens, bad guys/soldiers at me and leave stuff lying around to pick up. But this game is innovative and fresh. I wouldn't have thought a first person platformer would work, let alone one that throws in crazy moves and intense speed. But they've proven they can and they've done it amazingly well.

Moppet on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    YaYa wrote: »
    Antihippy wrote: »

the story is simple fine

but if you don't agree that Portal has some of the best writing this side of Chris Avellone

then you have no soul

Yeah, the writing for Glados is pretty good.

I still feel that it's kind of dumb to compare Portal and Mirror's Edge story wise seeing that from what I know of ME it wouldn't work with Portal's style of story-telling.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The demo is good, but it doesn't feature any of the things that seemingly annoy the reviewers; cheap enemy AI, being forced to fight, poor combat, uninteresting indoor environments, terrible plot, etc.

It's fine to say that you don't trust reviewers, but mind the fact that they have played the game to completion, and I'm fairly certain that they want to like the game as well. This is not the first time we've seen a dichotomy between the demo and the final game (hello, Force Unleashed), so I wouldn't naturally dismiss these concerns just because some dude at whatever gaming outlet is relaying them.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Combat is kind of crappy, I have to say.

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg