As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mirror's Edge - PSN Demo 30th XBL Demo 31st

• Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited November 2008
    YaYa wrote: »
    outside of inventing a curved TV, how would you suggest they implement peripheral vision in FP games?

A.Sony Glasstron gets an HD version

B. Two cameras, FOV like that of an actual eye, eyelids variable.
    or an anamorphic field of view

but that would be really kind of difficult to play with

bongi on
  • Options
    truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    bongi wrote: »
    outside of inventing a curved TV, how would you suggest they implement peripheral vision in FP games?

Force everyone to get 3 monitors/screens, the center would be exactly the same as the view currently used. Then just add two cameras in game to each side of the head and that would translate to the other 2 screens. I know everyone wants 3 TV's. In my case I'd so have to convince the wife that all 3 need to match so I'd have three 61 inch DLP's. I would be in heaven there.

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    bongi wrote: »

Force everyone to get 3 monitors/screens, the center would be exactly the same as the view currently used. Then just add two cameras in game to each side of the head and that would translate to the other 2 screens. I know everyone wants 3 TV's. In my case I'd so have to convince the wife that all 3 need to match so I'd have three 61 inch DLP's. I would be in heaven there.
    I actually tried to create a dual-camera system so that one circle (with a diameter equal to the height of the screen) is the standard 60-to-90 degree FOV, and the rest of the screen is a 180 degree FOV. On widescreen monitors, this works pretty well in recreating peripheral vision. Unfortunately, it made me nauseous and I had to change it back to normal.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Spoit wrote: »
    holy shit

guys

http://kotaku.com/5078747/heres-your-mirrors-edge-launch-trailer

god-fucking-damn

keep an eye out for the mid-air zipline swap

HD version/ embeded:
    http://www.gametrailers.com/player/42454.html
    Spoit wrote:
    holy shit

god-fucking-damn

I'm trying desperately to keep my hype down, but it's going to be tough for this game to live up to my expectations if I keep watching shit like this.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Rakai wrote: »
    This kind of gameplay is why I still think Breakdown was important for the games industry. FP games should do something different than just 'have gun, kill everything'.

I still don't like FP games much, but that's because I hate not having peripheral vision and an inability to sense how my 'body' is interacting with the environment. And Mirror's Edge does that. And I'm still fucking getting this game!

That's a problem I've had with the first person genre for a while. You don't control a person but rather a box with a camera in front. Backing into an edge or a pole brings you to a total stop. There's zero interaction between the box and its environment. It's just a bunch of collision boxes that stop when they run into each other. ME doesn't solve these issues, not by a long shot, but it is certainly a step in the right direction. And yes, the lack of peripheral vision and having to move the camera around like a crack addict on speed to check your surroundings is very annoying.

Well, if you'll notice, Mirror's Edge has a much wider field of vision than your average FPS game...

Truth. It's about as close to peripheral vision as you can get.

Renzo on
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The demo is up for Silver users. And it is pretty awesome.
    I don't think it's quite clicked with me though, control-wise. I've played through the demo twice now.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    You'll probably have to play it more in order to really get into it, honestly. The game gets more interesting once you're fully aware of what you are and are not capable of.

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • Options
    AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So I got the XBL demo, wonderful stuff, and I eagerly go and order the PC version. It's scheduled to come out 1 March 09 according to Play.com, fuck :x

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    Inglorious CoyoteInglorious Coyote Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Woodroez wrote: »
    You'll probably have to play it more in order to really get into it, honestly. The game gets more interesting once you're fully aware of what you are and are not capable of.
    The very best moments in the game are when you reach an area and think "Hmm, I wonder if I can do this?". And you try it. And it works.

Such an amazing feeling of accomplishment.

Inglorious Coyote on
  • Options
    temperature!temperature! Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I was just thinking, how awesome would it be if this game had a replay editor like skate. You pull of some crazy jump, or take out a guard with a flying kick and then make a nice escape, and want to see it in slow mo, through multiple cameras.

temperature! on
    XBL - Temperature_MD
    PSN - CardboardNine
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Level creator would be nice too. Maybe for a sequel.

LewieP on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Olivaw wrote: »
    I still think it's sort of lame that they called the song Still Alive

I mean I'm sure that the artist just thought it was a good name, it's not like EA was all "call it Still Alive so we can be more like Portal"

Still sorta lame

Why is it sorta lame? Plenty of different songs have the same name. Just don't associate it with Portal.

I dunno

I guess lame is the wrong word

"Weird" seems better

Two big budget video games coming out within two years of each other that have a song called Still Alive as like their main theme

That's weird

Portal was made by 8 full-time programmers, with a development time of 26 months. I think the budget was probably lower than you'd expect.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I was just thinking, how awesome would it be if this game had a replay editor like skate. You pull of some crazy jump, or take out a guard with a flying kick and then make a nice escape, and want to see it in slow mo, through multiple cameras.
    That would be indeed amazing, though they'd need to animate Faith very well. I don't know if they actually have a full-on character model that actually animates.

Level editor I think is just not going to happen. I mean, maybe one of those like ones that technically is a level editor but is balls-hard to use, but not like a simple one that you can drag and drop in or something.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Inglorious CoyoteInglorious Coyote Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I don't know if they actually have a full-on character model that actually animates.
    IIR they don't. On a 1up Show a while ago they talk to the guys at Dice and they mention that if they allowed a 3rd person camera Faith would appear as a weird orb shaped thing with legs and hands.

Inglorious Coyote on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hell yeah, the GameStop in town got an employee that's actually pretty cool.

I went today to get Fallout 3 and pay off my TRU pre-order, and he was all like "Oh, you paid off Mirror's Edge, did you get the time trial code?" and proceeded to pull one out of nowhere, seemingly from his ass.

Can't wait to check this shit out.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    jagermeister73jagermeister73 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Thank god I'm just a silver member so I can't download the demo and see how thoroughly awesome this game is and have to scrounge up another 60$ to buy it.

jagermeister73 on
    jagermeister73.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Thank god I'm just a silver member so I can't download the demo and see how thoroughly awesome this game is and have to scrounge up another 60$ to buy it.

Bad news: The demo is now live for Silver members, apparently.

My condolences.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    jagermeister73jagermeister73 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Lunker wrote: »

My condolences.
    I just cried a little inside. I hope you're happy. Fucking EA and their new lease on life.

jagermeister73 on
    jagermeister73.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    K, so I suck at time trials. The maximum time alloted for the training ground is 2:00:00, and I got it in 2:01:92.

EDIT: 1 Star rating, 1:38:30 on my second go.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

My condolences.

My condolences is right. I just played through the demo an hour ago and was thoroughly impressed. Now I'm really torn: do I give up Gears 2 next month for Mirror's Edge?

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

My condolences.

My condolences is right. I just played through the demo an hour ago and was thoroughly impressed. Now I'm really torn: do I give up Gears 2 next month for Mirror's Edge?

Yes.

Just look at it this way: Gears 2 is a slightly-improved Gears 1. Mirror's Edge is a completely new franchise.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I don't know if they actually have a full-on character model that actually animates.
    IIR they don't. On a 1up Show a while ago they talk to the guys at Dice and they mention that if they allowed a 3rd person camera Faith would appear as a weird orb shaped thing with legs and hands.

it's remarkable how much time and effort is required to animate a character in a game like this, with all the context-sensitive motions and interactions with the environment and various forms of movement. the game would have been delayed a good long time, months at least, if they put in a full replay mode.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

My condolences.

Yes.

Just look at it this way: Gears 2 is a slightly-improved Gears 1. Mirror's Edge is a completely new franchise.

Slightly-improved doesn't seem fair. The level design is supposedly much better and it has a multiplayer mode that me in my non-multiplayer FPSness would actually play (Horde mode). I admit it does seem a little like Gears of War 1.5, but when the original game was such an excellent game to begin with, I'm perfectly fine with a version 1.5.

Hm...maybe Best Buy or some place will have a good doorbuster on Black Friday on one of both of these games and I'll be able to get both. I remember they had The Orange Box & Bioshock for $25 last year (PC versions true, but still).

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

My condolences.

Yes.

I'm kind of sidestepping the question, since Gears 2 and Mirror's Edge are the only two games I'm getting this month and next. I am taking Mirror's Edge over Prince of Persia and Tomb Raider, though. As much as I really want those other games, ME is a very radically different take on somewhat similar mechanics, plus there's the entire concept of flow and momentum that makes ME stand out. The last game to do that well was Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat, and I loved the crap out of that game.

Lunker on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

They said they had to cheat somewhat with the limb animations, so that while it looks great from a first-person perspective it would look pretty odd from a third-person perspective.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Does anyone know when the demo is out on silver XBL?

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    It's available for Silver members today (I just played through it).

And the first review for the full game that I've seen is out now: http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/launchreview.asp?reviewid=976725

Summary:

8/10 Score
    Great graphics & audio.
    Controls well & immersive.
    Story is good, but may be a little too low key for some.
    Game can get to have a little too much trial-and-error.
    Quality of the level design is all over the board with some levels being incredibly well designed experiences and others being so-so.

Their overall opinion seems to be that it's a very good game with some amazing moments, but it's a little lacking in polish. A good start to a new franchise.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008

Define "low key".

"Low key" as in they don't cram everything down your throat and allow the player to fill in the blanks themselves?

That's not low key. That's just good writing.

This thing is slick and the girl may have delicately feathered hair, but I don't want JRPG like dialogue and plot arrangement thankyouverymuch.

Sheep on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Sheep wrote: »

Define "low key".

"Low key" as in they don't cram everything down your throat and allow the player to fill in the blanks themselves?

This thing is slick and the girl may have delicately feathered hair, but I don't want JRPG like dialogue and plot arrangement thankyouverymuch.

Celeste turns out to be the main antagonist. You have to race her for the final 'boss fight'. You have to lap her (smirk and I stab you) 3 times while she transforms into Ultimate Celeste, Hyper Celeste and then Final Celeste.

Also she killed your parents.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I still think it's sort of lame that they called the song Still Alive

I mean I'm sure that the artist just thought it was a good name, it's not like EA was all "call it Still Alive so we can be more like Portal"

Still sorta lame

Why is it sorta lame? Plenty of different songs have the same name. Just don't associate it with Portal.

Yeah, if you do a song name search, the list of acts who have written a song called "Still Alive" is looooong (Joe Jackson and Six Feet Under to name a few.)

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It's available for Silver members today (I just played through it).

And the first review for the full game that I've seen is out now: http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/launchreview.asp?reviewid=976725

Summary:

8/10 Score
    Great graphics & audio.
    Controls well & immersive.
    Game can get to have a little too much trial-and-error.
    Quality of the level design is all over the board with some levels being incredibly well designed experiences and others being so-so.

Their overall opinion seems to be that it's a very good game with some amazing moments, but it's a little lacking in polish. A good start to a new franchise.

That review could have done with a lot less of the Valve fanboyism. A few decent points were raised, but why compare it with HL2? The games are rather different in pretty much every aspect, including design aesthetics, gameplay, interface, plot(unless ME has aliens but I really doubt that,) characters, IT IS A DIFFERENT GENRE, etc. I was forced to scoff every time he mentioned HL2, since I had a completely different opinion of it than the reviewer did.

But it sounds good. I want this game now. Nowwww. Now!

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I think the Half-Life 2 comparison was a fair one. The demo of Mirror's Edge reminded me of an improved version of the first part of HL2 where you're running away from the combine without any way to defend yourself.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    darleysam wrote: »

Define "low key".

Celeste turns out to be the main antagonist. You have to race her for the final 'boss fight'. You have to lap her (smirk and I stab you) 3 times while she transforms into Ultimate Celeste, Hyper Celeste and then Final Celeste.

SHOOT HER IN THE HEAD!

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    MJMJ Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The Review wrote:
    There are some great sequences too: one early example has you go from the top of a skyscraper all the way down to street level, along a road and into the subway before heading back up again all in the one chase.
    Now that sounds Intense. D:

MJ on
    mino_mirror_punch2_sig.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    MJ wrote: »
    The Review wrote:
    There are some great sequences too: one early example has you go from the top of a skyscraper all the way down to street level, along a road and into the subway before heading back up again all in the one chase.
    Now that sounds Intense. D:

Yeah, when I read that part, my desire to buy this game just went up quite a bit.

Another review, this time from Playstation Official Magazine UK. 9/10. No direct link, but here's the blurb from Metacritic:
    You've never played anything like Mirror's Edge. It's a genuine original. When it's good - like when you're soaring between two rooftop cranes, pigeons scattering and traffic thrumming below, or dashing between roaming sniper laser sights, breaking into an enormous needle-shaped skyscraper - it's a total rush. And even when it's not quite so good, when you can't work out how to get through a particularly tricky section, the compulsion to keep trying remains strong.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Cantido wrote: »

Define "low key".

SHOOT HER IN THE HEAD!

Bitch, this ain't a cutscene!

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The very best moments in the game are when you reach an area and think "Hmm, I wonder if I can do this?". And you try it. And it works.

This is an insightful observation on good game design.

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008

Define "low key".

Also, the final fight takes place in a dike and the acrobatics become more difficult on account of how wet it is.
    I regret absolutely nothing.

Monger on
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    At the very least a leaderboard system that tracked times across each action-sequence – similar to the way Burnout Paradise records times between traffic lights - would have inspired greater replayability.

Did he just completely ignore the Time Attack mode?

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    MollifyMollify Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    This may have been mentioned already, but as interesting as this is looking, I'm probably not going to (be able to) play it without a 3rd person mode.

Not just because of the Turok platforming flashbacks, but because it gives me a headache just watching the trailers.

Mollify on