As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DnD4e] - Mining Rites - OOC Thread

HayasaHayasa Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Critical Failures
This is a Play-By-Post adventure for up to 5 players. Applications are to be made in this thread. Rolls to be made on Invisible Castle, character sheets through myth-weavers.com.

The In-Character thread for this game is here!

Applications closed!

Saurfang - Agar Deadeye (Orc Rogue)
hjparcins - Merombo, the Iron Bear (Shifter Shaman)
Rius - Sariela "The Tigress" (Shifter Druid)
Hermenegilde - Grumzog, Lightning Fury (Goblin Sorcerer)
cytorak - Carric (Elf Bard)

Brief History of the Conflict
It would be nice to say that, before the invaders came, the world Tuan was a utopia of civility, with all races at peace and working for the betterment of all, but sadly this was not the case. With no great unifying empires, tribe regularly fought tribe over issues of territory and honour.

Thirty years ago, the first invaders arrived. With a bright, purple flash of light, and thunderous vibrations that rocked the stones below through many miles of woodland, a huge fortress replaced a significant portion of the tribal lands of the Uinitak elves; this was the first stronghold of The Second Talithain. Within a month of the arrival of the Eladrin, the Uinitak had been enslaved or eliminated, with their tribal lands converted into an otherworldly mix of towns, farmland and industry.

In coming years, more tiefs arrived, scattered across the landscape of Tuan; each tief a deathknell for the sanctity of the natives nearby. Vast tracts of land have been surrendered to the invaders, as their power and resources dwarf that of the unallied and disorganised native tribes. As time goes by, the borders of Reian civilization creep deeper and deeper into the tribal heartland.

So we arrive in the current day. Forced by necessity, scattered tribes of different races have reached an uneasy truce, having agreed to share resources and their best and brightest in a last stand to save everything that they hold dear from destruction. In their desperation, they have even turned to escapees from the Reian slave castes for assistance; the bastard half-elves born of rapacious Esten will, and the blood-cursed tieflings; wretches warped at birth by their proximity to the tiefs and outcast by their own families and people.

Tuan's only hope now are the glorious warriors of the Resistance. You are those glorious warriors.

The Invaders

The Second Talithain (Eladrin)
The Eladrin are the masters of arcano-artifice, and in the fields of textile production, are the most technically advanced race known on either Reia or Tuan. Their servant race, the so-called `warforged' serve them and assist in their efforts to turn this new world into a new old world. Native forests are torn down to be turned into paper and their land strip-mined, or if they are very fortunate, turned into one of the landscaped gardens of plants and `wildlife' brought from Reia

The Trust of Grendor (Dwarves)
When it comes to munitions and mining, the dwarves are the most technically advanced race. This has served them well in their ongoing battle agains the peaceful and deeply religious sea giants, whose sacred homeland was the destination of a number of the dwarven tiefs. The native orcs of the Kekapilanan coast have suffered greatly at the hands of dwarves, and only a few tribes stand strong.

The Esten Compact (Humans & Halflings)
Long-term allies, the humans and halflings of the Esten Compact are among the most innovating and entrepreneurial of all races; their ability to adapt existing technology in ways that transform everyday activities is exceptional. Unfortunately, their focus on the advance of Reian and `New World' culture sees them having very little compassion for Tuan's native races. Where the other invaders may treat the enslaved as nothing more than workhorses, the Esten Compact take glee in mocking their barbaric practices, heathen ways and subhuman understanding of technology.

The Bloodscored Sultanate (Hobgoblins)
Of all the invaders, the Bloodscored were the most fortunate in the placement of their tiefs. While they have fierce foes among the native dragonborn and goliaths, they are resident above the most lucrative mining resources known on Tuan; a wealth of gold, platinum and even the rare naturally-occuring residuum is within their grasp. To assist them in their quest for the domination of finance, the hobgoblins of the Sultanate swore a number of the native goblin and bugbear tribes into their service; they are known as `serfs', a rank whose sole status appears to be `slightly better than a captured slave'.

The Hook

Each in your own way, you are among the most powerful and influential members of Tuan's resistance. The unofficial strategist of the Tuan resistance, the gnome warlord known as Rkwast, has requested that you attend upon him by the Stone Oak of Inan; a sacred site now near the borderlands of the Second Talithain and with the domain of the elven tribal coalition. You and your kin have been honored by this invitation; like most gnomes, Rkwast is notoriously reclusive, so would not wish to meet with you were the matter not of the utmost importance, and your stature significant.

Character Creation
Starting Level: 13
Stats: 22 point buy
Equipment: Standard (Level 14 item, Level 13 item, Level 12 item, cash/gear equal to one Level 12 item)

NEW EQUIPMENT RULE

You each have 64,000 gold. With that gold you must each purchase at least three non-consumable magic items of at least 12th level and no higher than 14th level. Whatever you do with your remaining money is your own concern.

Allowed Races: Bugbear, Dragonborn, Elf, Gnome, Goblin, Goliath, Half-elf, Orc, Shifter, Tiefling.
Allowed Classes: Barbarian, Bard, Druid, Fighter, Ranger, Shaman, Sorcerer, Warden, Warlord
Backgrounds: PHB2 only.
Origin: Like backgrounds, kind of. Choose Slave or Native. I will settle on the (minor) bonuses granted by these tomorrow.

Of Note
* Orcs can use half-orc stats instead of orc stats. You'll still be an orc.
* While the above listed are the only allowed primary classes, characters with Slave background may multiclass into other classes, but will need a good explanation.
* I will probably allow a maximum of two bugbears in the party.
* Tieflings and Half-elves cannot have Native origin.
* Characters of Slave origin can take Rogue as a primary class

ORIGINS
Native - +1 Nature, +2 to knowledge skill checks concerning Tuan technology and culture.
Slave - +1 Streetwise, +2 to knowledge skill checks concerning Reian technology and culture.

Any books not allowed? - The only stuff not allowed is Forgotten Realms stuff.

WHAT I WANT - aka `the DM is a prick'.

I'm looking for up to 5 players, and there are no class role requirements. If the most interesting 5 apps are all strikers, the party will be all strikers.

BANNED : Cloak of Distortion - if its good enough for cytorak, its good enough for me.

I don't want to spend forever checking your math, so while I will expect players to use Invisible Castle for rolls, on application I will be giving ad hoc XP bonuses to players that do the work for me and check other player's combat calculations.

In game I will also give ad hoc XP rewards for awesome, as that is how I roll. Feel free to nominate each other for these.

My peak posting time is from 7pm to 10pm Australian CST weekdays. If you're in a combat, this is the time during which I expect to be making round updates; for general roleplay, questions or other simple stuff I will check in and reply throughout the day. For reference, that peak time zone translates to: 5:30am to 8:30am American EST. You can probably work your own zone out from there. On weekends, my posting times will be variable, and I don't expect your full attention either on weekends.

Things that will contribute favourably towards your application
* Brief fiction about character
* A link to, or quote of, prior PbP roleplay that you're proud of
* Showing an effort to `synergise' or help other applicants

PICK YOUR FOE - WINNER: 3) Pompous Eladrin in what used to be untamed woodland but is now the industrial revolution.

Got any questions? Ask away.

fthcav.jpg
20siy39.jpg
xcvj1h.jpg
2lk6t94.jpg
Hayasa on

• Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    do you really think it's a good idea to name your game after hitler's book?

do you really think so?

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Well, it involves racial supremacists, work camps and a mine, so I thought it was a pretty good idea. I can change it to something less personally amusing if necessary.

Hayasa on
    fthcav.jpg
    20siy39.jpg
    xcvj1h.jpg
    2lk6t94.jpg
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I say you keep the name, man!

Fightin' against "the huMAN" is always a good option, too.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    HermenegildeHermenegilde Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    YESSSS !
    BUGBEARS UNITE !

Hermenegilde on
  • Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I love killing elves, so I vote for that.

If I might ask, what level would we be starting?

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Let's get goblin minions as cannon fodder and go after the dwarves !

Hermenegilde on
  • Options
    nefffffffffffnefffffffffff Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I <3 monster races, So I vote evil human empire.

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    OP updated, now recruiting, Eladrin as foes won.

Hayasa on
    fthcav.jpg
    20siy39.jpg
    xcvj1h.jpg
    2lk6t94.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Sheesh, I'll change it already.

Hayasa on
    fthcav.jpg
    20siy39.jpg
    xcvj1h.jpg
    2lk6t94.jpg
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I was going to apply for this, but after the name change... it just wouldn't be the same.

Goodbye, sweet Mine Kampf. I'll always treasure the time we had.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Oh, to keep the name or not. This is a real Sophie's Choice.

Hayasa on
    fthcav.jpg
    20siy39.jpg
    xcvj1h.jpg
    2lk6t94.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Hayasa wrote: »

You could have gone with 'Mein Kophf', Hitler's battle with childhood bronchitis, or even 'Mein Kampfy Chair', Hitler's child's pop-up book about Hilter going to Ikea.

On a completely related note, are there any books not allowed? Can we try the new Hybrid class test(it just looks so awesome)?

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I'm thinking of making Hitler.
    He was a goblin warlord, yes ?

Hermenegilde on
  • Options
    LegionnairedLegionnaired Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Thinking about a Warrior-Poet Type, probably Bardic in nature. Character sheet to be edited in. Check my campaign notebook for "The Souls of Fort Dolor" Here or the IC thread for that game to check some of my prose. Haven't had the chance to play much as a character, sadly.

Legionnaired on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I'm thinking of making Hitler.
    He was a goblin warlord, yes ?

Hitler was a Bugbear, it's common knowledge!

hitlerbear.jpg

simonwolf on
  • Options
    JebuJebu Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Carnarvon wrote: »

You could have gone with 'Mein Kophf', Hitler's battle with childhood bronchitis, or even 'Mein Kampfy Chair', Hitler's child's pop-up book about Hilter going to Ikea.

On a completely related note, are there any books not allowed? Can we try the new Hybrid class test(it just looks so awesome)?

Personally, I'm thinking it should have been called "The Minal Solution". But that's just me.

I'm definitely intrigued by the setting of this game and will have to think about what to roll up for it. Probably a leader of some kind.

Jebu on
  • Options
    mynamewasgonemynamewasgone Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Jebu wrote: »
    Personally, I'm thinking it should have been called "The Minal Solution". But that's just me.
    It's not just you. You're my new hero

mynamewasgone on
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    This may be an awesome venue for my elven beastmaster ranger concept to unfold; time to start mulling over character design!

Rius on
  • Options
    cytorakcytorak Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

BANNED : Cloak of Distortion - if its good enough for cytorak, its good enough for me.

Damn straight.

OT, I'm thinking about rolling a Bard or a Warden. I'll post sometime this weekend.

cytorak on
  • Options
    SAW776SAW776 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    cytorak wrote: »

Damn straight.

OT, I'm thinking about rolling a Bard or a Warden. I'll post sometime this weekend.

What, running a game and playing how many others isn't enough for you? :P

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PSN: SAW776
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    SAW776 wrote: »

Damn straight.

Quiet, you! :lol:

Maybe I won't. Shut up! :lol:

Also, Dajian is the same way, so give him equal grief! :)

cytorak on
  • Options
    SAW776SAW776 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Damn straight.

Dajian didn't reject me for a game!

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PSN: SAW776
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Damn straight.

Dajian didn't reject me for a game!

Oh, no you didn't!

cytorak on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    No matter how I try, I cannot seem to build a Beastmaster ranger that I'm happy with =(

I'm currently toying with the idea of a longtooth shifter greatspear fighter, there's some interesting flavor to be had ^^

Rius on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    The only stuff not allowed is Forgotten Realms stuff.

Hybrid class test, I may consider one applicant. The allowable classes thing from the OP still applies though.

Hayasa on
    fthcav.jpg
    20siy39.jpg
    xcvj1h.jpg
    2lk6t94.jpg
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    What's your pantheon look like?

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    bladecruiserbladecruiser Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Wanted to make a quick post to ask about character sheets: do you want them on myth-weavers or will a Character Builder sheet work?

I'mma be posting up a Dragonborn Fighter as soon as I get his backstory finished up, probably in a day or so.

bladecruiser on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Character sheets through myth-weavers when accepted, but for application purposes a dump from the builder is probably ok.

As tribesmen from Tuan, you don't have a native pantheon (ergo, no divine classes in the Allowable Classes list). Reians follow the standard D&D pantheon (and have no primals!)

Hayasa on
    fthcav.jpg
    20siy39.jpg
    xcvj1h.jpg
    2lk6t94.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I have a question to ask about mechanics and your interpretation of them; specifically as pertains to Footwork Lure and reach weapons.

Now, in LFR, I have seen people use Footwork Lure with a Reach weapon to attack a monster two squares away, shift a third square away, and slide it two squares into their original square. I'm not sure this is how the power was intended to be used, but it's not worded to exclude it so there you go. What's your opinion on this? Because I'm having trouble picking a second at-will power.

But wait! There's more! If you think that's an acceptable use of the power, then what happens when you combine it with the Polearm Momentum feat?

Polearm Momentum; Whenever you use a polearm or spear to push or slide a target 2 or more squares, you can also knock that target prone at the end of the forced movement.

So basically, with a slightly cheesy interpretation of Footwork Lure, a polearm/spear fighter with footwork lure could attack a target two squares away, shift one more away, slide the target adjacent to him and knock him prone. This is a pretty good amount of stuff going on for an at-will, which is why I'm curious what you think of it.

A disclaimer; I'm not building a character around the hope that you'll stamp this with approval; I'm building a cool longtooth shifter greatspear fighter because it sounds badass and could easily fit into your world. Also the Polearm Master PP is cool as hell.

Rius on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I've got no problem with the first part, but my impression is that the use of `slide' is a bit clumsy - its used instead of pull to cover those circumstances where the target isn't actually brought a square closer. For the purposes of Polearm Momentum I wouldn't read it as qualifying. So, for the record...

Footwork Lure - pull target effectively 2 squares - OK
    Polearm Momentum - force target prone due to 2 square `slide'- NOT OK

Hayasa on
    fthcav.jpg
    20siy39.jpg
    xcvj1h.jpg
    2lk6t94.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    That's about what I figured it should be too, so that's cool. As it turns out there is a perfectly serviceable combination in Come and Get It and Scattering Swing that should be able to gather a group of foes and slide/knock them all down in various fun ways.

It'd odd; Polearm Momentum is an heroic tier feat, yet fighters don't really have any attacks in heroic tier that push/slide. Maybe I should look at multiclass options, but my feats are already pretty solid and locked in /shrug

Rius on
  • Options
    SaurfangSaurfang Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    There's the Warlord's Opening Shove if you're looking for heroic tier push powers.

Saurfang on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Doesn't help me mark targets though =(

Rius on
  • Options
    SaurfangSaurfang Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I think it might, actually... I mean, combat challenge specifies that whenever you make an attack against an enemy, you can choose to mark it, and Opening Shove is technically a strength vs. reflex attack, with the push and an attack granted to your ally on a hit. Not sure if it's what you want in terms of the character concept as a whole though.

EDIT: I mean you probably want to keep guys close rather than push them away.

Saurfang on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Here is a start

Grumzog, Lightning Fury

Birth of a legend
    The storm had raged on for days. It was by far the worst the village had seen in generations. Mercifully, what had started as blizzard and sleet had turned to deluvial rains. The wind had toppled trees and houses, making a path for its angy roar. The inhabitants stood huddled in the few stone structures in the village, praying that the storm would stop before the roof got blown away. Brave souls ventured outside for supplies; some of them even came back. Amidst the confusion and fear, a woman was giving birth. The labor had been going on for three days and was not going well, the mother was exhausted, at the brink of death. As the mother cried out her last breath at dawn of the fourth day, he was born. And the storm stopped.

They called him Grumzog Stormborn, miracle child.

A challenge for leadership
    The air crackled with Grumzog's energy.

"You do not understand sorcerer, the subtleties of our position."

"I understand all right. The invaders fell more and more of our trees, the push us off our mountains. Their might is growing while we dwindle."

"The Grgnark goblins are a strong tribe ! The songs of our heroes travel through the land."

"Look around you, old man, most people in your city have been robbed of their homes and everyone has lost family members to the encroachers. The past is gone. It is but words in the wind. The time has come to unite the goblin tribes, even to unite with the other tribal races, to strike against our common foes."

The warrior sensed that his position as leader was crumbling, Grumzog was a hero, he had struck the invaders again and again, he had the admiration of the younglings and the respect of the elders, not even counting his "blessed" birth. But he would not, could not, accept it. With a roar he launched himself at the sorcerer, drawing his axe as he jumped, figuring that in these close quarters he would have the advantage.

The sorcerer sidestepped his strike and extended his dagger to merely touch the warrior's armor. A deafening thunderclap filled the leader's hall, a flash of light and the ex-leader was flung back towards his "throne". Wave after wave of lightning struck him until his screams stopped. Grumzog seemed unfazed.

"I will lead this tribe now. My father will take care of the city while I go in search of allies."

His father looked at the prostrate, immobile form of his old rival and smile.

"All hail Grumzog ! Chief of the Grgnark !"

As cheers echoed through the hall and spread outside to the streets, the father adressed his son.

"You have done well, my son. Now you must finish what you started."

Personality
    Grumzog is a hard goblin to fathom, on the one hand he is a charismatic leader that takes good care of his troops and on the other, he is a wrecking ball on the battlefield, often reckless, always charging to and fro, attacking against desperate odds. Only his storm powers have allowed him to live so long. His bravery is legendary amongst the goblins as his his prowess in battle. Balls of adamantium and the skills to back them up. Usually cheerful and sunny, Grumzog is a very emotional goblin, quick to anger, but just as quick to calm down, easy to make sad or happy. It's whispered that he cried for each fallen goblin in the war.
    Grumzog enjoys being at the forefront of things, being the center of attention, being admired and worshiped.

Hermenegilde on
  • Options
    LegionnairedLegionnaired Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Thom Roq, Keeper of the Warsong

Farming in nutrient-poor clay pits for meager sustenance is a life forced upon those outcast of society, the Half-Elves. Sons and daughters of traitorous lovers of foreign invaders, they live with a culture all their own - with the appearance of the niceties of 'civilised' life, but primal undertones made brutal by subjugation and oppression.

Often forced into slavery, the 18 hour days go past faster when a tune in on the lips, and Thom was always the first to remember some event and set it to rhythm and melody. At first, it was whimsical happenings of the night before, but with each crack of the whip on his back, Thom's voice deepened, and his lyrics darkened. Practical jokes gave way to atrocities in the center stage, and as more and more half-elves heard of more and more injustice, the song became a shout, and the shout gave way to sword.

A Leader through Legend
    Every night, the warriors of the Clay Hand Gang (so-named for their hands constantly covered in the stuff) gather around Thom to hear a tale of battle. The victories are encouragement to continue the fight, and the defeats are monuments to the martyrdom of brothers.

Tonight, he calls, and the multitudes respond:
    Kneel and bleed, slave and kin!
    WE BLEED THE BLOOD OF OUR BASTARD FATHERS
    Fight like the brothers gone to Khora before you!
    WE FOLLOW THEM SWIFTLY AFTER
    Join them carrying broken skulls!
    WE CARRY OUR ENEMIES BEFORE US
    Give feast to the birds like the brothers gone to Khora before you!
    WE LEAVE OUR FLESH FOR THE SONS OF KHORA

Every fallen brother is a legend, every dropped sword is a quiver in the hands of Thom Roq, who motivates those who serve with him as slaves to die honorably as their fathers should have. Though self-loathing and seething anger, he quickly draws all of his kin to the cause, who gladly sacrifice themselves at the sound of a lyre.

Legionnaired on
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Submission: Submitter
    ---
    Legionnaired: Thom Roq the bard
    Hermenegilde: Grumzog the sorcerer
    Rius: Longtooth greatspear fighter?
    jdarksun: Orc Fighter?
    ---
    Allowed classes: Barbarian, Bard, Druid, Fighter, Ranger, Shaman, Sorcerer, Warden, Warlord

Hmmm... the only controller allowed is a druid, and I don't want to play a druid... Maybe another striker? A barbarian would seem to work well with the posts so far. I will think on this.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    The only stuff not allowed is Forgotten Realms stuff.

Hybrid class test, I may consider one applicant. The allowable classes thing from the OP still applies though.

Suhweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

Here's Barael, Dragonborn Paladin/Sorcerer.

I still need to make some changes(He was meant for an IRC game that fell through before it started), but that's the gist of the stats.

Edit: Just noticed the allowed class list. Guess I'll switch Paladin to something else. Also, you don't have Rogue on that list, was that a mistake?

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    We're the barbarian tribes !
    No rogues here !

Hermenegilde on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I think I'll try a Warden/Druid to make up for lack of Controllers or Defenders.

Carnarvon on