As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Digital Comics] Funny Books On Your Phones and Tablets! Check OP For Retailers

• Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular

Almost all of these are great, but everyone should definitely check out Planetoid, Danger Club, Saga, Prophet, and Glory.

• Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    Danger Club has been on a really weird schedule, right? I'm not imagining that?

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    Issue #1 came out in early April, and the last one came out in early July, so yeah, it seems to be on some kind of whenever-we-can-put-it-out schedule.

• Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    Same thing seems to have happened with Supurbia (though I guess that's getting relaunched). With so many good titles coming out, its hard to remember titles that ship late.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    I rather enjoyed my first taste of Planetoid. The other stuff was pretty interesting but I'm not sure which i may pick up in the future.

I also grabbed a bunch of the free #1 issues of Hickman's Image stuff. Again, interesting concepts but I'm not sure yet what to continue with.

I do like the companies that will put up free starting points to hook readers. Not a huge fan of preview-type mini-issues, and am glad some of the players aren't afraid to put up their stuff to really pull people in.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    This week's Marvel Monday sale is Uncanny X-Men #462-499

Story arcs in this are:
    462-465 House of M, Chris Claremont
    466-471 End of Greys, Chris Claremont
    475-486 Rise and Fall of the Shi'Ar Empire, Ed Brubaker
    487-491 Extremists, Ed Brubaker
    492-494 Messiah CompleX, Ed Brubaker
    495-499 Divided We Stand, Ed Brubaker

• Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Messiah Complex issues would be more helpful to me if the whole story were on sale. Oh well.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    yeah that is kind of a weird way to structure the sale.

Needless to say no one should buy those Claremont issues.

Rise and Fall of the Shi'ar Empire is a decently fun X-Men Space Opera

Divided We Stand is the moving to San Fran arc featuring the hippie X-Men and that is a good time

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Marvel Tuesday:

Free
    War of Kings #1
    Venom #1 (Remender)
    Messiah Complex #1

added to the back catalog is some Deadpool, heroes for hire, rulk, and some uncanny x-men stuff.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    So getting my Nexus 7, combined with an impending bookshelf space crisis, has made me more receptive to reading comics in digital form. However, Comixology still seems pretty lacking in collections/"trades," which is still my preferred way of reading comics - a billion individual issues cluttering up my app is almost as bad as a billion individual issues cluttering up my house. :(

I was also hoping for a more extensive selection of discounted back-catalog stuff.

• Options
    R0land1188R0land1188 Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    So getting my Nexus 7, combined with an impending bookshelf space crisis, has made me more receptive to reading comics in digital form. However, Comixology still seems pretty lacking in collections/"trades," which is still my preferred way of reading comics - a billion individual issues cluttering up my app is almost as bad as a billion individual issues cluttering up my house. :(

I was also hoping for a more extensive selection of discounted back-catalog stuff.

Have you checked amazons kindle app for trades/collections?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular

I think you are the first one i've seen complain about not enough "collections" on comixology, and (at least to me) digital singles are basically not a big deal. Also, Collections pretty much never go on sale, but there are always singles on sale.

I mean I always thought the issue for singles was that they took too much Physical space and that they were difficult to store / read multiples. Digital doesn't have this issues? And, besides Comixology divides your comics up by the series, so it's not like your main page is 500 singles.

but to each their own I guess?

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I've found it pretty well organized and easy to deal with, especially since I can just move on to the next issue when I finish with one

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Also, Collections pretty much never go on sale, but there are always singles on sale.

I mean I always thought the issue for singles was that they took too much Physical space and that they were difficult to store / read multiples. Digital doesn't have this issues? And, besides Comixology divides your comics up by the series, so it's not like your main page is 500 singles.

The collections that do exist on Comixology are generally priced the same or less than the equivalent print TPB, even if you buy the TPB from a place like Amazon, which is generally the cheapest place to get them consistently. It doesn't seem likely I would save money by buying singles compared to collections, unless they took adding a lot more collections as an opportunity to jack up the prices. Singles I'm looking at Comixology from 5-6 years ago are still $2-3. Sure, there are 99 cent sales, but those are a crapshoot.

As for the issue of space/organization, no, I won't have 500 singles on my main page, but say I have 50 comics from one series, that is 50 singles on my page for that series, isn't it? I have to try to remember which is which and where story arcs stop and start. Trades that collect story arcs (or at least segments of them) into nice self-contained packages are a lot easier to keep track of. I like the organization. Comixology seems to let me divide things into story arcs when shopping a series, will it do that for me once I actually buy things? (This is an actual question, I don't know.)

Gaslight on
  • Options
    I don't believe there are any singles from years ago that are $3.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    And amazon is frequently not the cheapest place to find trades, Instocktrades and CheapGraphicNovels generally have lower prices

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Balefuego wrote: »
    And amazon is frequently not the cheapest place to find trades, Instocktrades and CheapGraphicNovels generally have lower prices

CheapGraphicNovels has nice prices but they take comparative eons to ship (every order I've had from them took like 10 days to even process), whereas with Amazon I get everything in two business days.

That's sort of what I meant about Amazon being the cheapest place to get things consistently, you can find things cheaper sometimes from independents and eBay, etc. but you have to put up with the vagaries of selection and customer service.

Instocktrades I don't have any first-hand experience with.

I don't remember specifically which issues I've seen at three dollars, but even just taking two dollar price point as an example: I can buy the first Captain America: Winter Soldier collection for $12.99...or I can buy the seven singles contain in it for $1.99 each. Sure, a small difference, but it adds up. In this case, there is no incentive to buy the seven singles at all, unless they just happen to be part of a 99-cent sale sometime...but like I said, that's a gamble. And many collections are less than that one, Guardians of the Galaxy I was looking at earlier for instance is only $10.99 per volume. So "singles go on sale and collections don't" is not compelling to me when sales are occasional and random whereas collections have a cheaper standard price all the rest of the time.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    ComiXology is doing a giveaway for Read Comics in Public Day (which is a thing, I guess?). Go here, enter #ReadComicsinPublic, and voila. It gave me Superman Family Adventures #1, but I have no idea if the giveaway is for that comic specifically or if it's for a random comic from a pool of select comics or whatever.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I just got the same comic, so it's probably the one they're giving away.

And Read Comics in Public Day has been a thing for at least a couple years now. I know Neil Gaiman promotes it on his Twitter, at least. Read comics in public, everybody!

• Options
    Yep, got the same thing.

Is there a way to delete things from your Comixology library? :P

• Options
    Anybody else suddenly having trouble with the main Comixology site?

It looks like this:

Zsbcl.jpg

• Options
    It's OK for me. I was having some weirdness with Android app a little while ago, though.

• Options
    Yep, got the same thing.

Menu > Settings > Manage Storage > Delete Individual Comics.

I'd also recommend changing Space Allotment according to your preferences.

Anything you buy can still be redownloaded if you go to the Purchases menu on the main comic store page. Sadly you can't remove things from there, like I wish I could when I grabbed some shitty free comic once.

• Options
    I've ordered a bunch from Instocktrades and while it's not quite as fast as amazon (and the free shipping threshold is 50 bucks vs 25) I've never had a problem with them and they have great sales

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Anybody else suddenly having trouble with the main Comixology site?

It looks like this:

They've been having some load issues since last night.

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    Just looking at the prices, it looks like the kindle app is indeed a good proposition for collections. Could any comment on how good the interface is?

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    Marvel's weekend sale is Siege, individual issues for 99 cents each.

Hmmm, decisions decisions.

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    How is is as a story, and as a self-contained one?

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    I skipped Siege too and am curious to know if its worth grabbing/which ones were any good.

Valiant is also having a 99¢ sale on the #1s of their recent relaunches, as well as a bunch of the original '92-'93 series.

• Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    I was told that it's worth the $4 for the main series, but to avoid the tie-ins

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/08/23/the-comixology-chart-how-much-does-china-love-sexy-alice-in-wonderland/

comixology sales from around the world

MTMTE #8 is number 1 in japan

awesome

• Options
    the Avengers tie-ins were actually pretty okay I thought, but it's been awhile since I read it

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Hmm, maybe i'll grab the main and some of the avenger tie ins then, thanks.

• Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Yep, got the same thing.

Probably. Don't know why you would need it, though.

• Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    Dritz wrote: »
    Just looking at the prices, it looks like the kindle app is indeed a good proposition for collections. Could any comment on how good the interface is?

So I went and answered my own question. I'm using the kindle app on a Nexus 7 (android tablet) and I got Sinestro Corps War for $9.99.

Price: As mentioned Kindle offers some good prices for tpb equivalents. This particular purchase made the price advantage stand out even more over Comixology. Although the description page for this ebook said only six issues were included (the equivalent of volume 1 of the tpb maybe?), the ebook actually included eleven issues. So at $9.99 this particular book beats even the sale prices at comixology.

Availability: I'm not sure what kind of deals are needed to be made to publish stuff internationally but I'll mention I'm in Canada in case anyone wants to correct me on something. It looks like only a few comics are published through Kindle, so few that I can not seem to find a dedicated section for them. Comixology wins in this area pretty handily especially considering you can get single issues that aren't collected.

Usability: Kindle kinda sucks in this department, at least on my Nexus 7. I can't seem to find any way to view pages in portrait mode, which you'll defiantly miss for two page spreads. Regular two finger zooming seems to be absent as well. Double tapping on a section of a page will bring up a small square with the closest text to where you tapped along with a bit of the picture. It doesn't look like you can zoom in and look at single panels.

Readability: The above mentioned zooming problems defiantly hurt readability. In addition the text seems a lot harder to read then comixology.

For cheapskates the price difference is really hard to pass up. Especially if you aren't willing for the stars to align and have Comixology put a sale on something you really want. I have to believe that some of the minuses on Kindles side might change depending on what device you are using, there are some glaring deficiencies.

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    Free Marvel Tuesday:

Deadpool Pulp#1
    Avengers; The Origin #1
    Battle Scars #1

Also added to the back catalog, some Runaways vol. 3, X-Factor, X-Men Forever, and finally thank god yes the rest of NOVA!! Whoo hoo!!

• Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    yay Nova

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    This is a warning: The Marvel sale this Friday is on the "Curse of the Mutants" story arc. Do not buy these comics. They are awful.

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Aww, the story seemed really stupid, but I like the art and I was hoping it'd be so cheesy that it'd be good.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    Morning Glories for .99 cents. Anyone reading it? I remember hearing it had a strong first issue, but that as the story's gone on, it's sort of petered out a bit.