As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Digital Comics] Funny Books On Your Phones and Tablets! Check OP For Retailers

• Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    Project Superpowers sale or something? Worth reading?

• Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    Quoth wrote: »
    Project Superpowers sale or something? Worth reading?

Not really. Interesting idea, poor execution with a ton of pointless spin-offs. Plus the creators lost interest halfway through the main story and moved onto other projects. If you buy anything from Project Superpowers, make sure it's the main series, and don't expect Chapter 3 to ever get released.

• Options
    ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    Bullio wrote: »
    So comiXology finally added All-Star Batman and Robin and The Dark Knight Strikes Again. I haven't read the former, though I've read the impressions and I'm in no rush after having read TDKSA, but they shouldn't have even bothered with the latter. Whoever gets suckered into picking that up has my deepest sympathies.

Anyway, TDKR and Year One are also on sale for .99. Can't imagine there isn't anyone here that doesn't have them in some form already, but if not or you want them digitally by all means go nuts.

Age of X sale too.

i dont know why but i am really tempted to reading TDKSA. maybe to just see why ppl say its horrible for myself...

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Free Marvel comics this week!

Daredevil #1, by Mark Waid and Paolo Rivera
    Phoenix Endsong #1, by Greg Pak and Greg Land
    Incredible Hulk #92, by Greg Pak and Carlo Pagulayan, the beginning of Planet Hulk

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    I've somehow been blessed with never being exposed to much of Land's work, but reading that free Phoenix Endsong was just ugh.

Daredevil was great though. I know a lot of people have said so, and it's been on my "eventually get" pile, but getting a free taste pushes it up the queue a bit more. :P

• Options
    It stinks because I am actually intrigued by the plot in Endsong, but reading it made my eyes want to throw up.

• Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Got a digital code for Avengers Assemble #1 from my Avengers blu-ray

AVM5YQZ1YDV4

Just say if you took it so others dont try.

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    I took it guys, sorry.

Thanks, dude!

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Anyone know an app I could pick up Astro City on?

Trying this stuff out for the first time. Comixology seems to have a decent selection but feels really clunky. Simple stuff like returning me to the start of a list of comics instead of where I'd been browsing.

• Options
    As far as I know, Astro City is not yet available digitally at all, unfortunately.

And yeah, Comixology can be clunky but for now it's pretty much the only game in town. Dark Horse decided to make their own app, and it is awful.

• Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Aw yeah, big JLA sale.

*looks at monthly expenses*

Aw crap, big JLA sale.

Grabbing what I need of Morrison's JLA run and Tower of Babel, at least. I'm assuming I should get JLA Classified as well?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    I don't like any of those, but I am probably the wrong person to ask, at least about the Morrison stuff.

Tower of Babel is serious butts though

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    JLA Year One is excellent. I also highly recommend JLA Classified and Formerly Known as the Justice League.

• Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    So there are some issues of JLA missing from the sale. From a quick look it seems like the ones that are missing are those not written by Grant Morrison. I was planning on getting all his issues, would it get confusing if I was missing some of the issues he didn't write? I'd be getting up to #41 and the issues missing look like #18-21 and #32-35

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    If you want a good laugh, grab all available issues of Extreme Justice. Seriously, they're hilarious.

And yeah, all the Justice League International stuff is great, as well as JLA: Year One.

Munch on
  • Options
    I was never a huge DC/Justice League reader, but I agree that Formerly Known and Classified (I Can't Believe) are good times to be had. Two of my favorites.

Though it is kind of painful to read it after Identity Crisis and everything afterwards that pretty much pooped on most of those characters. Sigh.

• Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    Nice sized Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles sale going on now.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Oh though I will say I really like the dynamic viewer or whatever it's called a lot. Between the cinematic. Feel and the fact that I lose my place a lot when distracted makes it really nice.

• Options
    Free Marvel Tuesdays:

Journey Into Mystery #622 (Fear Itself)
    Ultimate Human #1
    Amazing Spider-Man #648 (Big Time)

Added to the back catalog is some Chaos War: Thor, Ghost Rider, Irredeemable Ant-Man, New Avengers, and X-Men Noir: Mark of Cain.

• Options
    dang it, when are they going to add more Secret Avengers to the back catalog??

well, I've been wanting to check out Journey into Mystery, so that's neat

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Just curious - how bad would I find reading comics on something like this: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=15520786&znt_campaign=Category_CMS&znt_source=CAT&znt_medium=RSCOM&znt_content=CT2032061

I've been wanting a cheap android tablet and it seems reasonable, but if it would be horrible I'll hold off...

• Options
    edited October 2012
    I personally don't like the 7" form factor in general, but I especially don't like it for comics. Un-zoomed text and art has always been unreadable and aliased, respectively. However, I've yet to try reading them on anything higher res than the original Fire so maybe this has improved on the N7 or Fire HD.

Regardless, the resolution on that tablet is only 800x480. Full page view will look awful and will be completely unreadable. Guided view would probably be readable, but I can't imagine image quality on a cheap, generic Android tablet would be anything better than less than adequate. Especially at such a low resolution. I'm pretty sure my Droid X has a higher resolution than that tablet.

There's no reason to consider those generic Android tablets anymore. None. The performance and functionality from a Nexus 7 or even a Fire HD is well worth the extra $100-150 you'd spend over those wastes of shelf space.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    That's what I figured - I may go the extra cash for the Fire or Nook.

• Options
    Personally I'd go for the Nexus 7 over a nook tablet or kindle fire.

• Options
    Honestly, I'm not sure I need a tablet, I was mostly thinking it would be cool to have one for comics. I have a desktop PC and a netbook so it really would be mostly reserved for comic or magazine reading so I was thinking the cheaper the better - but obviously screen size & resolution are big factors.

• Options
    Nexus 7 is your best bet for the 7" "budget" tablets.

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    Honestly, I'm not sure I need a tablet, I was mostly thinking it would be cool to have one for comics. I have a desktop PC and a netbook so it really would be mostly reserved for comic or magazine reading so I was thinking the cheaper the better - but obviously screen size & resolution are big factors.

Fires and Nooks (the Tablet and the new ones, at least) are tablets. The only difference is the ecosystems. Fires and Nooks are tied to Amazon and B&N exclusively (can be fixed with root, though), whereas the N7 has access to Google Play and, for the most part, Amazon and B&N's services.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Reading comics on my Nexus 7 (which is a 1280x800 screen) is a pretty nice experience. I can read almost all text on an ordinary page without zooming with no trouble. The only time lack of overall physical screen real-estate becomes a factor is two-page spreads.

And for the record, the screen resolution of the Droid X is also 480x800. The X2 is 540x960. I have owned both. Wouldn't have wanted to read comics on them. Screen is simply too small regardless of the resolution - I don't read comics on my Galaxy S3 now, either.

I would like to emphasize what @Bullio says about cheapo generic Android tablets in any case.
    There's no reason to consider those generic Android tablets anymore. None. The performance and functionality from a Nexus 7 or even a Fire HD is well worth the extra $100-150 you'd spend over those wastes of shelf space.

There, I just did.

• Options
    It’s easy! Swing on over to comiXology.com/redeem and use the code: #CountdownDay1 to score your FREE copy of Spider-men #1 today!

• Options
    hey, sweet!

what's this Countdown thing?

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    comiXology is about to reach 100 million downloads

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    huh, I wonder how many countdown days there will be

• Options
    edited October 2012
    Has volume 1 of Locke and Key always been .99/issue on comiXology, or is this a special unadvertised deal to go along with issue 1 being free?

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Im pretty sure it has been for a while, The digital collection for vol 1 is also 4.99.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    I see some Legends of the Dark Knight has been added to the back catalog. Any of that stuff any good? Some of the premises sound interesting (Batman is alone on duty in the JL watchtower when Amazo shows up, for example).

Edit: Wait, this says Legends of the Dark Knight (2012-). I was thinking it was the old stuff from 89 to 92.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    Gaslight wrote: »
    I see some Legends of the Dark Knight has been added to the back catalog. Any of that stuff any good? Some of the premises sound interesting (Batman is alone on duty in the JL watchtower when Amazo shows up, for example).

Edit: Wait, this says Legends of the Dark Knight (2012-). I was thinking it was the old stuff from 89 to 92.

nah, it's a new weekly digital series. It's been a consistently great title though.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I see comiXology is doing comic pre-orders now. Not really sure I see the point of it since there aren't any discounts or anything, but it's one step closer to digital subscriptions which is something I'm all for. Assuming digital subscription pricing would be similar to print, that is.

Few hours left on Maximum Carnage and Army of Darkness sales. I just read Maximum Carnage for the first time a few months ago. I'm tempted to pick it up for nostalgia's sake during this sale despite thinking it didn't really age well. You couldn't escape that storyline as a wee kid growing up in the 90's.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Maximum Carnage is awful and I hate it and it is a complete misunderstanding of everything that makes a good Spider-Man story

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Comixology has an Uncanny (and) Avengers 99¢ sale til Thursday, I guess in anticipation for Uncanny Avengers. Uncanny X-Men vol.2#1-10, Avengers vol.4 #1-12.1.

• Options
    Free Marvel comics this week:

Ultimate Enemy #1, by Brian Michael Bendis and Rafa Sandoval
    X-Men vs. Avengers #1, by Roger Stern and Marc Silvestri
    Fear Itself: The Fearless #1 by Cullen Bunn, Matt Fraction, and Christopher Yost, with Mark Bagley and Paul Pelletier