As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Oven [chat]

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So I turned on my Blackberry and the screen just says JUM Error 102 and resetting won't help. Any ideas?

TL DR on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    Here in Sweden they'd probably have security throw Pony out of the premises.

Nuh uh!

Like when I saw Fast and Furious.

First, a gang of 15 gangsta teens broke in - like pushed the ticket control guy out of the way and just ran in.

They then made noise through the entire film, yelled even. And a couple ran around and moved seats. And one of them ran forward to where some of the others were sitting and hit him in the head, closed fist.

It was so annoying.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    You guys have the reading comprehension of a brick, god damn.

I'm at work and the fucking boss came over to bug me, so I had to minimize. MINIMIZE

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2010
    Pony wrote: »
    cinema is a social experience. it's a crowd experience. if you can't stand the crowd, get out.

Assholes are a part of the overall social experience, and that's what dealing with unwanted theater talk is. It doesn't make you someone who doesn't understand crowds, it simply means you're dealing with a dick who decides that it isn't OK for you to like what you're watching, and if you don't like it you can fuck off.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Uh.
    What's Pony is saying is really straight forward guys.

Watch the latest QT flick: Everyone should be quiet.

Watch Snakes on a Plane at the midnight opening: Expect the crowd to be as funny as the movie itself.

I expect some people to be selfish and disrespectful to other patrons, yes. So?

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Then does this mean that stuff like a Black Friday crowd busting through Walmart's doors and trampling an employee to death is ok because hey, it's a mob effect?

You can do whatever the fuck you want as long as you're a mob!

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    thisisntwallythisisntwally Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    milk is rape.

(only one day of work left at sucky old job)
    ((later jerks))

cow-01.gif

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Nocturne wrote: »
    I've never done the Halo thing.

I imagine one of these days I will play through the single player of all 3 or 4 games to see what it's all about.

it's really plain, seriously

the climax of the 3rd game was really impressive graphically but still dull as shit to play

and the plot is standard sci-fi fare, though i still like the elites' design

Rust on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Inky, pony a couple pages ago posted a list of the movies he's done that in. They were not all "Snakes on a Plane" quality movies. Some were movies one could reasonably be expected to enjoy, depending on personal taste.

No, I don't have the reading comprehension of a brick. He is a fucking jackass who does this in any movie he deems "hilariously awful," which, quite clearly, overlaps on many people's definition of hilariously awful and thus results in him pulling a Mike Nelson where he clearly shouldn't be.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2010
    It isn't reverence or some form of sanctimonous snobbery that makes us want the crowd in a cinema to be quiet. It's the fact that we're in a cinema and we would like to watch the film without someone gabbing all through it.

Bogart on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    No, no.

Yes, Bungie has consistent quality. Yes their games are very good multiplayer games.

But look far for more mediocre single player. The Halo games are very far from perfect.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    oh hay guys

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited February 2010
    Fascinating stuff. Won't be long until feature films are made in a basement with some stock footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clnozSXyF4k

Echo on
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Okay I said I was out of there but I will jump back in for one little dip:

Inqi's right.

Just read and try to understand. Jesus. It's not hard.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Seriously. Hipsters and their irony.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Fireflash wrote: »
    Then does this mean that stuff like a Black Friday crowd busting through Walmart's doors and trampling an employee to death is ok because hey, it's a mob effect?

You can do whatever the fuck you want as long as you're a mob!

aaaaaarrrrrggghhhhh

sooooooooo

reeeetaaaaardeeeeeed

caaaaaaan't resiiiiiiiist

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Elldren, it turns out that Gatria is a 43 resource world, which is more than any of the worlds I can currently see.

I would like to request a re-evaluation of the borders, based mostly on what the resources are like on your nearby worlds.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »

Inqi's right.

No, he's not, and no, you're not.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Rust wrote: »

I imagine one of these days I will play through the single player of all 3 or 4 games to see what it's all about.

the climax of the 3rd game was really impressive graphically but still dull as shit to play

Yeah my expectations aren't high, which is why I haven't played them yet. I figure they are popular because they are the de facto console FPS, only recently given competition by MW2.

But still, it seems that Bungie is a relatively competent company so I'd like to check out what they have done.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Irony is the best thing.

Daxon on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    If you don't, that's totally okay, but it also doesn't give you the right to be Ms. Librarian and hush everybody else if you're the only person who wants to sit in perfect silence and watch the cinematic treasure that is Alien vs Predator.

It really does though, the theater is not some public forum, it's an establishment where you pay to watch movies and they have big fucking signs that say shut up, turn off your phone, and fucking enjoy coca cola. It's a simple concept.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    It's fun to be retarted sometimes. But still, "will of the mob" doesn't excuse asshole behavior.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    MikeMan wrote: »

Inqi's right.

No, he's not, and no, you're not.

If you mean I'm not hard

you'd be wrong :winky:

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010

Inqi's right.

Just because we disagree does not mean we don't understand. It just means we think you and your opinions are the silliest of gooses.

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Yeah my expectations aren't high, which is why I haven't played them yet. I figure they are popular because they are the de facto console shooter, only recently given competition by MW2.

But still, it seems that Bungie is a relatively competent company so I'd like to check out what they have done.
    They're popular because the multiplayer is unbelievable. The depth in Halo's multi is truly amazing.

Single player wise, it's alright. Peaked at Halo 1 but has been solidly "meh" ever since.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    you're just being a snob.

I think people should be allowed to enjoy whatever it is they should want to watch. It's funny that thinking it's alright for people to enjoy the newest Terminator flick is snobby.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It's fun to be retarted sometimes. But still, "will of the mob" doesn't excuse asshole behavior.

asshole behavior is defined somehow

anyway, there's nuances to this but everyone seems hell-bent on sitting on extreme ends of an argument that is so silly

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    It's this simple: the theatre owners decide what is appropriate. If you disagree with them enough to not spend your $10 there, then you won't spend $10 there.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I think the reverence some of y'all have for the sanctity of theater silence is funny. Sputtering comparisons to other violent forms of mob rule is even funnier.

You people are taking this shit too seriously. I am sorry that sometimes, the crowd doesn't respect the Sacrament of Your Ten Dollars, that you spent in holy contract to receive a cinema experience of absolute respect and silence.

Sometimes, I go into a movie expecting a certain crowd and get one not to my liking. In those cases, I have two choices: I can try to inflict my will upon the crowd, or I can leave. I choose to leave, because movies are a luxury option and not a life-necessity and I don't need to endure a bad film in a quiet theater just to justify My Holy Ten Dollars.

Cinema experiences are relative. There are no absolute rules of appropriate behavior in the cinema beyond that which the crowd (and the law, obviously!) deems acceptable. It's not illegal to talk in the theater, but depending on the environment, it may or may not be rude.

I maintain that there are environments where it is appropriate, and even welcome, and I am hardly alone in thinking so.

I like people, I like social interactions with others, and I like crowd experiences. I like moving with the crowd sometimes, directing it other times, I like that sort of mass entertainment experience.

If you don't, that's totally okay, but it also doesn't give you the right to be Ms. Librarian and hush everybody else if you're the only person who wants to sit in perfect silence and watch the cinematic treasure that is Alien vs Predator.

Likewise, if everyone else wants to watch the movie quietly, either watch the movie quietly or don't watch the movie. It's a crowd experience, and the crowd dynamics determine what is appropriate there.

The rest of you who are just like "I DON'T CARE IF EVERYONE IS RAUCOUS, IF ONE PERSON DOESN'T WANT THEM TO BE THE REST OF YOU LOUD PLEBS ARE WRONG"

you're just being a snob.

So I'll just revert back to calling you an attention whore. Admit that all your justifications here are simply because you crave the gratification you get from people laughing with you or at you in the movie theater so we can move on.

It's unbelievably transparent that that is all this is about.

When I pay 10-15 dollars to see a movie, I pay 10-15 dollars to see a movie. Movie theaters advertise a climate of relative silence in the theater. So there is an understanding that my 10-15 dollars buys me a relatively silent movie-watching experience. I'm not paying 10-15 dollars to listen to some court jester make loud jokes, I'm paying 10-15 dollars to watch a movie on a gigantic screen in relative comfort. And they WILL throw raucous people out of the theater if asked. I've seen it happen with my own two eyes. All other postulations you'd like to bring into this are irrelevant. The mob climate is completely and totally irrelevant.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    B:L wrote: »
    Drez, you are pretty enormously self-centered on this subject.

That is a deplorable non-silly goose insult, from someone on a high horse.

The same people who use your logic? The annoying teens who giggle and chatter and use their cells throughout the whole movie and ruin the whole movie theatre experience.

"If you don't like it, leave!"

Uhh... no. You.

What's Pony is saying is really straight forward guys.

Watch the latest QT flick: Everyone should be quiet.

Watch Snakes on a Plane at the midnight opening: Expect the crowd to be as funny as the movie itself.

Except he tried to do it with Simone, and I bet a lot of other movies as well that other people were trying to enjoy.

Guys, just FYI, I once said B:L was exhibiting some "deplorable behavior" and he has never, ever forgiven me for this and he includes some kind of reference to it every time he talks to me.

Just bringing everyone else up to speed on this one.

Also, what I said was I went to Simone, the movie was garbage, I wanted to just rip on this thing and felt myself choking down inappropriate laughter, and I noticed that everyone else was either enjoying the film or at least trying to dislike it quietly, and that just letting fly and laughing at this piece of shit would be appropriate.

Two of my buddies with me felt the same way, and noticed the same thing.

So, we quietly left. We didn't sit there and talk and then when nobody did anything, we left in a huff. We aren't trolls. We went in looking for one kind of cinema experience, didn't get what we wanted, so we quietly left other people to what they are doing.

But, good job trying to twist that around there.

Of the people having this argument in this thread:

One group of people are saying that cinema experiences are relative and you should respect what the crowd in the cinema is going with and if you don't like it, you should leave.

The other group of people are saying that cinema experiences are absolute and you must always behave the way they say regardless of what anyone else thinks or does.

Can you tell which group thinks too highly of their own opinion, kids?

Pony on
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

asshole behavior is defined somehow

anyway, there's nuances to this but everyone seems hell-bent on sitting on extreme ends of an argument that is so silly

Not really. Given Pony's examples, you just can't trust his judgement on what's "appropriate".

Edit: Just saw your post, no need to take it personally, Pony. I just find your argument distasteful. But what it comes down to is that if you complain to a manager that I'm being too quiet, he'll think you're crazy. If I complain that you're too noisy, you'll get tossed out. It's as simple as that when it comes to right or wrong.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, I meant to put "de facto multiplayer console FPS"

Nocturne on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited February 2010
    Pony, you started with a semi-reasonable position but have really doubled down on it in a way I can't endorse. People who want to sit in a quiet cinema are not weirdos and shushing someone is not the act of a deranged asshole.

Also, what Elki said. Hipster irony is horrible.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    MikeMan wrote: »

Yeah my expectations aren't high, which is why I haven't played them yet. I figure they are popular because they are the de facto console shooter, only recently given competition by MW2.

They're popular because the multiplayer is unbelievable. The depth in Halo's multi is truly amazing.

Single player wise, it's alright. Peaked at Halo 1 but has been solidly "meh" ever since.

the multiplayer is great (community notwithstanding, but that's the case with all online games) but i doubt it's the best out there, even for shooters

halo was Xbox Live's vanguard and built up a humongous fanbase, and since then it's been cruising on solid multiplayer and not much else

better than MW2's, though, at least until a patch shows up that makes double shotgun guys' heads explode

Rust on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    http://www.moddb.com/downloads/mirror/21783/11/28e85f8a111548fb10e456eba0c1fa50

Everyone, let's download this demo and we will [chat] about our experiences

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Guuuuuys.

Does anyone know if this would be like super guaranteed to work on Windows 7 x64 or whatever?

http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-SEGA-Saturn-SS-Controller-Gamepad-Joypad-4-PC-PS3-B_W0QQitemZ320386170612QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4a9880fef4

Frosteey on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Elldren, it turns out that Gatria is a 43 resource world, which is more than any of the worlds I can currently see.

I would like to request a re-evaluation of the borders, based mostly on what the resources are like on your nearby worlds.

43 is a record for me too. Are yours all resource poor or simply resource not-as-rich?

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited February 2010
    http://www.moddb.com/downloads/mirror/21783/11/28e85f8a111548fb10e456eba0c1fa50

Everyone, let's download this demo and we will [chat] about our experiences

Maybe you should not link straight to a .exe download and tell me what I'm downloading?

Echo on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    Pony, you started with a semi-reasonable position but have really doubled down on it in a way I can't endorse. People who want to sit in a quiet cinema are not weirdos and shushing someone is not the act of a deranged asshole.

Also, what Elki said. Hipster irony is horrible.

this is what I meant

both sides of the argument are running for the extremes like satan's nipping at their arseholes

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I be callin ushers all up ins if people be talkin on they cell phones in the movies

skippydumptruck on
This discussion has been closed.