As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let me tell you another [TOY STORY]

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Twilight?

this post is funnier than it has any right to be :lol:

Joolander on
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I got to say, you may be the only one that has these sentiments. Up and WALL-E are some of Pixar's best. I still think WALL-E is their best film. What specifically did you find lackluster?

Better direction? While there's always room for improvement, by all accounts Pixar doesn't need "growing up." They're already quite mature.

For me (and while I'm certainly not alone in these opinions, I realize their minority status), I find similar problems in both Up and WALL-E. Both aim extremely young, and both have inconsistent tone. Both films muddle their message a bit, and both have overly simplistic dynamics for what would actually be very strange and remarkable relationships. Basically, they have some thematic and storycrafting holes that better Pixar films avoid, and those better films do so without having such heavy-handed subtext.

But again, just an opinion, and I don't want to get into a Pixar dickslinging contest over who loves what the most. Up and WALL-E are still very good, and WALL-E is in my blu-ray collection. They just don't match up well to Pixar's more mature fare to suit my tastes.

See, I don't think Pixar EVER "aims young." they continually stress that they make good movies with good stories--not good children's movies.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I can't even quote it, that wolf movie looks like a generic video game.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    query: the gag of the "Buzz-Buzz-Buzz Lightyear to the Rescue!" sound effect was in toy story 2; it played when Zurg was kicking the shit out of Buzz#2. In the original, it's when Woody was beating up Buzz under Andy's car

was it in this one? I don't seem to recall hearing it... I thought it was a shoe-in for another running joke

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    query: the gag of the "Buzz-Buzz-Buzz Lightyear to the Rescue!" sound effect was in toy story 2; it played when Zurg was kicking the shit out of Buzz#2. In the original, it's when Woody was beating up Buzz under Andy's car

was it in this one? I don't seem to recall hearing it... I thought it was a shoe-in for another running joke

Pretty sure I heard it when the toddlers were playing with them.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    vid

The furriest movie

That trailer made me physically uncomfortable in some points because of the creepy. Mixture of D: and o_O the entire trailer

Rent on
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The internet has tarnished my conception of anthropomorphic animals forever.

Winky on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Rent wrote: »
    vid

The furriest movie

That trailer made me physically uncomfortable in some points because of the creepy. Mixture of D: and o_O the entire trailer

brought you here for... repopulation :winky:

ughghhhh

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    That wolf movie looks fucking awful.

i mean, besides the creepiness, is there anything that movie is doing that hasn't been done at least 3 or 4 thousand times

poor but awkwardly charming member of gender A and hot uptight upper class member of gender B are stuck together trying to make it to location Y and along the way fall in love and learn a life affirming easily digestible lesson

with some fart jokes to keep the boys interested

It appears they even stole Rafiki from The Lion King and made him a goose.

a silly goose

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    Rent wrote: »
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Man, I have to give the Owl movie credit for doing something different besides goofy comedy. Pixar is the only one that really blends emotion and humor these days.

That being said, it tries way too hard. Your movie is about goddamn owls! That's a tough sell! No, do not have a location in your movie that is spelled with an apostrophe!

I tried to get into it, because I could see a lot of effort was being put into it, but it's an incredibly large pill to swallow to take "owls live together in a society with magic powers and evil guys and shit" seriously. It felt so goddamn ludicrous

Also the music for the trailer is stuff I'd listen to regularly but didn't fit the trailer at all. At some points I thought the owls were going to put on distressed jeans and Converse and continue listening on their iPods

How do you think they make the helmets?

As someone planning to make a living studying ethology, that wolf movie makes me angry.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Winky wrote: »
    The internet has tarnished my conception of anthropomorphic animals forever.

I seriously think that movie is trying to appeal to the furry demographic. The way they describe that female wolf as "hot", the :winky: during the "gotta repopulate" line

Ugh. Just ugh

Rent on
  • Options
    WazzaWazza Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

i mean, besides the creepiness, is there anything that movie is doing that hasn't been done at least 3 or 4 thousand times

poor but awkwardly charming member of gender A and hot uptight upper class member of gender B are stuck together trying to make it to location Y and along the way fall in love and learn a life affirming easily digestible lesson

a silly goose

Forgot the gratuitous use of 3d at the end.

Wazza on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I just got back from seeing this, and damn. This would have to be the absolute best movie I have ever seen. I grew up with these characters (I saw the first movie when I was 3), and seeing this closure to the series was great. I did cry during the ending too.

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    Ross_CRoss_C Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

a silly goose

Actually I was getting a total Balto vibe from that Goose.

But the thing about Balto was. It didn't suck.

Ross_C on
  • Options
    Penguin_OtakuPenguin_Otaku Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Loved this move. Was good times while high, but I did tear up.

I really thought the toys were fucked until the aliens saved them.

This movie was phenomenal.

Penguin_Otaku on
    sig-1.jpg
  • Options
    temperature!temperature! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Loved this move. Was good times while high, but I did tear up.
    I really thought the toys were fucked until the aliens saved them.

This movie was phenomenal.

This is kind of a spoiler, might want to fix it.

Anyways, saw the movie last night and thought it was the perfect way to end the series. Like almost everybody here, I grew up with the films, watching the first one in theaters when I was 9. I even still have an original Buzz figure with The Big One accessory!

Movie related
    When they were about to all die in the landfill, and they pretty much just accepted it and wanted to go out together, was probably the most heart wrenching scenes in any animated movie I've ever seen. Pixar pulled off what most movies can't accomplish, and people will still look at Pixar films as nothing but a child's movie. What a shame.

temperature! on
    XBL - Temperature_MD
    PSN - CardboardNine
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I just watched that wolf trailer.

I must now go burn my retinas out.

Cameron_Talley on
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Saw it for the second time tonight, this time with my sister and brother-in-law.

People LAUGHED when Bonnie tried to take Woody from Andy.

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE

My sister was like "Holy shit this is dark for a kids film" when they got to the specific scene. You know the one.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Judging by the giant stain that smells like butter on my pants I was sitting in popcorn topping throughout tonight's viewing.

What the fuck. Seriously, who spills that much topping on a seat (and the floor, judging by how slippery it was)

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Well, we can see that the people in your city/town are fucking idiots. They both spill fake butter all over everything, and laugh at emotionally straining moments

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Judging by the giant stain that smells like butter on my pants I was sitting in popcorn topping throughout tonight's viewing.

What the fuck. Seriously, who spills that much topping on a seat (and the floor, judging by how slippery it was)

[hamm]

Ennhhh, I don't think that's a butter stain.

[/hamm]

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This is probably Movie Of The Year for me. I'm really surprised at how well impersonated the actor that played Slink was. He sounded just like Jim Varney.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So this doesn't come out in the UK till July 23rd.

Why.

Edit: The review on the escapist mentioned that the age of Andy in 3 is the same as the viewer, if they were the same age as Andy in 1. That's a nice touch.

Blurbl on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    This is probably Movie Of The Year for me. I'm really surprised at how well impersonated the actor that played Slink was. He sounded just like Jim Varney.

That was Harry, the hardware store owner from Tool Time. Unique voice for an actor and holy shit phenomenal job.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Blurbl wrote: »
    Edit: The review on the escapist mentioned that the age of Andy in 3 is the same as the viewer, if they were the same age as Andy in 1. That's a nice touch.

That can't be right. TS1 came out 15 years ago. Andy is just heading to college now, so he's somewhere between 17 and 19 years old in TS3. That would make him younger than 5 in TS1. Now, it's been a long time since I saw the first movie, but surely he's more like 7-10 years old then, right?

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Yea, there really wasn't a movie world gap between 1 and 2 (our time '95-'99). If you were Andy's age in '99 then you'd be Andy's age now I think.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Man, I wouldn't have been dressing like a cowboy at the ages of 7-10. I'd give you 4-6 before that sort of thing got your ass kicked.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Sangheili91Sangheili91 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I have to find a Totoro plush for the girlfriend now. She was freaking out when she noticed him.
    My girlfriend hates Totoro :( I keep trying to get her to watch it and when we finally do, she's terrified of Totoro and the Catbus. It's like, wtf. So when I pointed him out last night to her, she punched me D:

Great movie, tho. Great movie. Loved every second, although I didn't find it as sad as some people.

Sangheili91 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    elliotw2 wrote: »
    Well, we can see that the people in your city/town are fucking idiots. They both spill fake butter all over everything, and laugh at emotionally straining moments

Pretty much. Bunch 'o dicks down here.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I have to find a Totoro plush for the girlfriend now. She was freaking out when she noticed him.
    My girlfriend hates Totoro :( I keep trying to get her to watch it and when we finally do, she's terrified of Totoro and the Catbus. It's like, wtf. So when I pointed him out last night to her, she punched me D:

Great movie, tho. Great movie. Loved every second, although I didn't find it as sad as some people.

It was both sad and happy at the same time.

Cameron_Talley on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2010
    I'm surprised I haven't seen anybody mention the live-action Smurf trailer that ran before the movie. Was I the only one upon whom that was inflicted?

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I'm surprised I haven't seen anybody mention the live-action Smurf trailer that ran before the movie. Was I the only one upon whom that was inflicted?

I saw it, but I don't remember them actually showing anything. The whole thing was basically an announcement that yes, they're actually that desperate for ways to get nostalgia money from Gen X'ers.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    We were trying to repress those memories.

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

I was spared the horror, fortunately.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010

Between this and the animated furries, I no longer regret the lack of trailers at the advance preview I caught.

Ketar on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Bad trailers deserve no discussion.

Now, Tangled, that looked fun. Though I do find it interesting how almost every time someone goes back to the old Rapunzel myth with a more modern eye, their response is to make her able to use her hair as some form of weapon and kick ass. I like it, but I find it interesting.

Sadly, I just don't think I could take the owl movie seriously. It already looked like pretty generic fantasy, but...they're owls. Though we'll see. It might be badass, for all I know.

yalborap on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2010
    Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    SpeedySwafSpeedySwaf Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Nah, it's fake. A pretty good fake, though.

SpeedySwaf on