Options

Dragon Age Thread - [Please post in new thread]

• Options
    Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    Yes, have fun with your sword and shield, it really sweetened the deal didn't it? Man they really sold you on the sword and shield didn't they? Kind of a must have after seeing them though, only the rubes will play the game without it.

Actually it was the extra companion and all that equipment shit for NO EXTRA MONEY relative to a normal pre-order that swung it.

Edit: Apparently I get the soundtrack too! Yey!

Jimmy Marku on
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2011
    Yes, have fun with your sword and shield, it really sweetened the deal didn't it? Man they really sold you on the sword and shield didn't they? Kind of a must have after seeing them though, only the rubes will play the game without it.

Actually it was the extra companion and all that equipment shit for NO EXTRA MONEY relative to a normal pre-order that swung it.

I just can't make myself care about that kind of stuff, I mean it was pretty fucking lame in Origins how the best tank in the game was DLC, but the game is still possible without him, still easy without him on some difficulties. Basically they are either selling me half a game if I don't pre order and get all this stuff or they are selling me the intended experience without all those items.

All I see those items doing is making the game easier than what they designed for.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Blackjack wrote: »
    New before a certain date or can I just get it off steam a week after it comes out?
    I dunno, man. There's probably a cutoff date a year or so down the line like Shale in DA:O.

That is what I am talking about, it is hard to tell since I can't find any info from Bioware.
    I thought before I pre-ordered the sig' edition, it seemed like a good deal considering I was going to pre-order anyway (as i've enjoyed the shit out of every Bioware game i've played and I liked what I saw of the game) and this meant I got more shit, free.

But I guess those dastardly marketeers have got their talons into me! Ahh!

Man this multi million dollar game they just made that I am buying comes with two extra items if I buy it early! What a deal!

Take a chill pill. Seriously.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    But, Gaming-Freak! Free extras for dedicated customers is serious fucking business and we all need to know exactly how unreasonable it is I mean really!

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    But, Gaming-Freak! Free extras for dedicated customers is serious fucking business and we all need to know exactly how unreasonable it is I mean really!

Oh so I am not a dedicated customer because I am not pre ordering the game?

I am going to buy it like I did every bioware game in the past 10 years, but I guess I am just not loyal enough if I don't buy it before it is released?

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Kinda silly to complain about marketing. I mean that's their whole job, to get more people to buy the game.

If I plan on buying day one anyways, why not pre-order and just get a few extra shits for free? I ended up not getting the sig edition because I'm a silly goose who didn't pre order in time, but I'll still get a few extra little things when I pick it up.

Oghulk on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Are you going to buy the game new?

If yes, you are getting a free extra.

Like we've been saying for the last, like, three pages my god.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited February 2011
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Kinda silly to complain about marketing. I mean that's their whole job, to get more people to buy the game.

If I plan on buying day one anyways, why not pre-order and just get a few extra shits for free? I ended up not getting the sig edition because I'm a silly goose who didn't pre order in time, but I'll still get a few extra little things when I pick it up.

Because now you are locked into the full/whatever price you paid for it. Generally games will go on sale during the first month at some point somewhere, and I think amazon stopped their $20 so I can wait. I don't think I have paid more than $40 for a game in over a year.

I don't care about "free" or "extra" (that that either are really that anyways) shit anyways, that is basically my whole point.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I am going to buy it like I did every bioware game in the past 10 years, but I guess I am just not loyal enough if I don't buy it before it is released?

So you're complaining about getting free crap for putting $5 on a game before it comes out? You're right, that's SO UNFAIR.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I don't care about "free" or "extra" (that that either are really that anyways) shit anyways, that is basically my whole point.
    Then stop being such a goose about it, Jesus Christ.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So you are angry because you want to pay less for the game and still get all the extra stuff?

Turambar on
    Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    edited February 2011

So you're complaining about getting free crap for putting $5 on a game before it comes out? You're right, that's SO UNFAIR.

No I don't give a shit about that, I don't think it is unfair at all. They are items I couldn't care less about unless Bioware made them essential or intended for parts of the game where now my game experience well be less than someone who did have the items, significantly altered that is, then yes I might care.
    Turambar wrote: »
    So you are angry because you want to pay less for the game and still get all the extra stuff?

No I don't give a shit about the items, I would like to pay less for the game if the opportunity presents itself but as it stands now I will most likely buy the game week of release for the lowest price I can find.

Hopefully they can get the code for the black emporium in, I like the idea of what they are doing trying to prevent people buying used games but it is getting pretty close to punishing used purchasers of the game.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

Because now you are locked into the full/whatever price you paid for it. Generally games will go on sale during the first month at some point somewhere, and I think amazon stopped their $20 so I can wait. I don't think I have paid more than $40 for a game in over a year.

Congratulations, you pay 20 bucks for something, whereas I pay 60 bucks because I care enough to support the company with a full price to keep bringing me games that I sink 100s of hours into and get to play first day of release, [and] get some kinda thing to go along with it.

I don't pre-order games based off DLC, that's free and an extra bonus. I pre-order games because I want to play first day release. If I'm not pre-ordering a game, that usually means I don't care enough about the game beforehand to want to buy it.

Also you really do seem to care about shit being free and extra, since you seem to have some sort of vendetta against marketers making people shell out a few extra bucks for first day release games.

And having extra companions in a pre-order would significantly alter the game yes, but that's kinda the point. You don't have to have those companions though to play through the game, hell I never use Shale when I play simply cause I like having alistair around.

Oghulk on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Congratulations, you pay 20 bucks for something, whereas I pay 60 bucks because I care enough to support the company with a full price to keep bringing me games that I sink 100s of hours into and get to play first day of release, [and] get some kinda thing to go along with it.

I don't pre-order games based off DLC, that's free and an extra bonus. I pre-order games because I want to play first day release. If I'm not pre-ordering a game, that usually means I don't care enough about the game beforehand to want to buy it.

Also you really do seem to care about shit being free and extra, since you seem to have some sort of vendetta against marketers making people shell out a few extra bucks for first day release games.

And having extra companions in a pre-order would significantly alter the game yes, but that's kinda the point. You don't have to have those companions though to play through the game, hell I never use Shale when I play simply cause I like having alistair around.
    I thought Shale was a pretty poorly designed character anyways, what fun is it to have a warrior with only (was it 2?) two item slots? The best part of a warrior is item whoring.

Anyways I can't say I understand the whole process exactly, but Bioware makes the same amount of money on games no matter what the sale is don't they? I thought they just sold the game to someone else like amazon or gamestop.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Whatever, this is a dumb argument, look at the badass lady Hawkes.

KkFhn.png

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Thankfully I have a friend who offered to just let me play his copy which will have all that crap, because he'd heard how much the current state of EA DLC stupidity has annoyed the hell out of me.

Dead Space 2 I didn't really care because all the extra stuff (Ignition and whatnot) was total crap, and not tied to the game other than like an optional suit that wasn't that great, just looked different. DA2's they tied much more into the game, and stuff like the signature edition deal expiring JUST before it went up on steam, blah blah.

It's just been handled very badly to the point I intend to borrow it, beat it, and unless it's so awsome for replay value that I go buy a used copy down the line, never give them a dime. I think that's the best way to show my feelings on the way they've chosen to do business in this particular case.

That's not to say I'm on some stupid EA boycott or anything. I happen to like them a hell of a lot more than I do Activision. But this is how I behave with any product I buy, and I like to give feedback if possible.

Sad thing is if they hadn't borked over Steam-only users on the Signature Edition deal I'd probably have just rolled my eyes, let it go, and bought it anyways. But that was the point at which I said "fuckit", pretty sure. Not sure what the hell that was about, only guess I can come up with is they're having an argument with Valve for some reason.

Astale on
  • Options
    Angel177Angel177 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

No I don't give a shit about that, I don't think it is unfair at all. They are items I couldn't care less about unless Bioware made them essential or intended for parts of the game where now my game experience well be less than someone who did have the items, significantly altered that is, then yes I might care.

No I don't give a shit about the items, I would like to pay less for the game if the opportunity presents itself but as it stands now I will most likely buy the game week of release for the lowest price I can find.

Hopefully they can get the code for the black emporium in, I like the idea of what they are doing trying to prevent people buying used games but it is getting pretty close to punishing used purchasers of the game.

Obviously you do give a shit, actually you probably give 2, since you are alluding to pirating it all anyway, and the lowest price you could find on release week will still at best be 15 bucks less, if you were serious about supporting a company you'd just have preordered within the 3 months you had to get the signiture edition.

And what part of project ten dollar don't you get?, the aim isn't to 'Punish' people who buy used, but to help to recoup some of the costs of making a game by making buying new an incentive rather than 'saving' 5 bucks from Gamestop.

Oh and you will have a different experience when you don't have the DLC, of course you will otherwise the signiture edition wouldn't be a reward for having some faith in the studio.

And Ladyhawke is looking FINE!

Angel177 on
    6103544412_a48002080a.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Angel177 wrote: »

Obviously you do give a shit, actually you probably give 2, since you are alluding to pirating it all anyway, and the lowest price you could find on release week will still at best be 15 bucks less, if you were serious about supporting a company you'd just have preordered within the 3 months you had to get the signiture edition.

And what part of project ten dollar don't you get?, the aim isn't to 'Punish' people who buy used, but to help to recoup some of the costs of making a game by making buying new an incentive rather than 'saving' 5 bucks from Gamestop.

Oh and you will have a different experience when you don't have the DLC, of course you will otherwise the signiture edition wouldn't be a reward for having some faith in the studio.

And Ladyhawke is looking FINE!

I don't ride the hype train for games anymore, no point especially if you plan on getting the game. Anyways I never heard of the signature edition, not too sure what all is in it the details are a little vague that I can find. Some sort of companion, bonus quests, not too concerned.

I have no idea what project 10 dollar is besides that I can guess that is the name given to what companies are trying to do to prevent used sales. Anyways my problem with it is that lots of people buy used games (most) don't even consider the morality of it at all, they just do it because it is cheaper. Now if they buy this game and find out that their copy isn't as good as someone elses, or even that the gameplay experience isn't as good how is Bioware winning over customers?

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    You're not talking about Isabela's boobs. Why are you not talking about Isabela's boobs?

Yeah, which is one reason why they want to incentivize buying the game for the full price on day 1. How is that somehow wrong?

But clearly you DO care:
    I am going to buy the game after it comes out, pirate it and get all the DLC. I hate that pre order bonus crap. I understand why they do it but I refuse to play their games. Actually I won't even bother pirating anything unless it is actual game content, not some character dresser or some stupid ring. They are getting my money, just not for their pre order crap.

I mean reading through some of the bonuses one area is listed as having the best items in the game, yeah I will pirating the shit out of that.

The only thing you don't care about is cosmetic stuff, which is not what most of the DLC is.
    Anyways I can't say I understand the whole process exactly, but Bioware makes the same amount of money on games no matter what the sale is don't they? I thought they just sold the game to someone else like amazon or gamestop.

Uh, you seem to have a strange understanding of how Bioware makes money. Bioware does sell the game to the retailer, but that's where the revenue stream ends; the retailer (i.e. GameStop) gets to re-sell the game, perhaps multiple times. The retailer makes extra money on Bioware's work. Bioware just wants to make sure that they get a piece of the action down the road by offering DLC that people might want to pay them directly for. For loyal customers for whom the thought process is "Oh, hey, Bioware has a new thing, I can't wait to give them money for it!", they give this stuff for free. For the people to wait and buy it for cheaper (or used), they get to pay a couple bucks extra.

This is how it works. Your piracy plan screws over a company that only makes quality product and makes it harder to pay for future quality products.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Uh, you seem to have a strange understanding of how Bioware makes money. Bioware does sell the game to the retailer, but that's where the revenue stream ends; the retailer (i.e. GameStop) gets to re-sell the game, perhaps multiple times. The retailer makes extra money on Bioware's work. Bioware just wants to make sure that they get a piece of the action down the road by offering DLC that people might want to pay them directly for. For loyal customers for whom the thought process is "Oh, hey, Bioware has a new thing, I can't wait to give them money for it!", they give this stuff for free. For the people to wait and buy it for cheaper (or used), they get to pay a couple bucks extra.

This is how it works. Your piracy plan screws over a company that only makes quality product and makes it harder to pay for future quality products.

You are failing at your own logic. Why do they want to add incentive to sell the game for full price day 1? Doesn't seem to hurt their revenue.

Also I don't care about the bonus items at all unless they significantly change my play experience. I actually usually avoid them because it makes the game too easy, some offer ridiculously OP items for when you get them.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Can we go back to talking about Critical Hits please?
    Dexterity: Each point above 10 gives +1% critical chance, "the likelihood of landing a critical hit." For rogues: Also increases damage and attack

Cunning: Each point above 10 gives +1% critical damage, "the amount of damage inflicted by a critical hit." For rogues: "Also determines rogues' aptitude for picking locks and disarming traps, with difficulty thresholds very 10 points."

Look at that, a direct 1:1 relationship isn't that great/awful/wonderful/enraging?

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    ...>_>...don't we have a moratorium on this shit?

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Speaking of Flemeth, had anyone ever considered that she was the dragon that started the Dragon Age (the actual age, not the game)?

I haven't read the past couple threads, so I'm not sure if this has come up, but I always kinda assumed that the dragon that attacked the Orlesians was that high dragon from the Frostback Mountains that we killed for the Ashes. Mulling it over, it could also have been Flemeth in her dragon form. She seemed to have some kind of unknown interest in Fereldan's independance from Orlais.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Can we go back to talking about Critical Hits please?

No. Isabela's boobs.

But if you like, we can refer to them as critical boobs. :P

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    FemHawke is definitely a cutie.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Speaking of Flemeth, had anyone ever considered that she was the dragon that started the Dragon Age (the actual age, not the game)?

I haven't read the past couple threads, so I'm not sure if this has come up, but I always kinda assumed that the dragon that attacked the Orlesians was that high dragon from the Frostback Mountains that we killed for the Ashes. Mulling it over, it could also have been Flemeth in her dragon form. She seemed to have some kind of unknown interest in Fereldan's independance from Orlais.
    I think there were two dragons, though it is possible at least one of them was her.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited February 2011
    Femhawke, finding time to pluck eyebrows even while (whatever you are trying to accomplish in this game).

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Whatever, this is a dumb argument, look at the badass lady Hawkes.

KkFhn.png

Man Lady Hawke looks like morigan.

Just, You know, Not dressed like a creepy prostitute.

Gaddez on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    And Bethany looks kind of like Natalie Portman.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I love the resemblance between Lady Hawke and Mama Hawke. Hopefully all the presets are that good.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    You are failing at your own logic. Why do they want to add incentive to sell the game for full price day 1? Doesn't seem to hurt their revenue.

Also I don't care about the bonus items at all unless they significantly change my play experience. I actually usually avoid them because it makes the game too easy, some offer ridiculously OP items for when you get them.

*sigh*

I don't know how I can explain it in smaller terms, so I won't.

Speaking of DLC stuff, I gotta say; either my ability has improved or the Return to Ostagar/bonus stuff from Leliana's Song, Golems of Angarak, and Witch Hunt) gear is just that badass, because I just straight-up won last fight in the Denerim Malificar house without any trouble. The last time I played through (without the DLC stuff), I had to resort to all sorts of poison and traps and stuff I don't normally bother with.

Felt good to kill those blood mages.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

*sigh*

Speaking of DLC stuff, I gotta say; either my ability has improved or the Return to Ostagar/bonus stuff from Leliana's Song, Golems of Angarak, and Witch Hunt) gear is just that badass, because I just straight-up won last fight in the Denerim Malificar house without any trouble. The last time I played through (without the DLC stuff), I had to resort to all sorts of poison and traps and stuff I don't normally bother with.

You don't know how to explain it because you are wrong, pretty simple.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    There are only so many ways you can phrase something when talking to a brick wall.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

People actually use poisons and traps? Hell, the only thing I use herbalism for is making rank 1 potions.

I managed to win that fight by giving Alistair KD immunity, luring them all out into the hall, and having Wynne and my PC blast the shit out of them with Blizzard and a shitton other AoEs while Dog stuns them. It still took me three or four times to win.

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    eEK!eEK! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

*sigh*

There is some wacky economics that means games make more money if they sell earlier. I don't really understand it myself, but for the sake universal fellowship, I'll try to break it down.

Retailers will order more of games with a lot of pre-orders, this means the is a greater chance of selling loads, the retailer may promote the game themselves and more copies will be printed.

If the game has no pre-orders it will be assumed that its going to flop and everything will be adjusted to save money (thus ensuring flop status)

I remember there being a lot of other stuff about retailers returning unsold games, but basically EA do know how to make money, so although most of their actions won't be in your interest their not doing it just to piss you off.

eEK! on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    eEK! wrote: »

*sigh*

There is some wacky economics that means games make more money if they sell earlier. I don't really understand it myself, but for the sake universal fellowship, I'll try to break it down.

Retailers will order more of games with a lot of pre-orders, this means the is a greater chance of selling loads, the retailer may promote the game themselves and more copies will be printed.

If the game has no pre-orders it will be assumed that its going to flop and everything will be adjusted to save money (thus ensuring flop status)

I remember there being a lot of other stuff about retailers returning unsold games, but basically EA do know how to make money, so although most of their actions won't be in your interest their not doing it just to piss you off.
    Oh I know but I am just saying that I won't be pre ordering because I don't care about the pre order bonuses and that I never intended to pre order and that is a choice I made and I am happy with it. Only games I did pre order were the amazon $20 gift card deals because you usually don't get below that point for about six months so it actually was worth pre ordering.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think we should talk about Varric now.

Something I'm curious about is crossbow mechanics, and how they've changed from Origins. Hopefully crossbows won't utterly suck anymore, but more importantly can Varric use normal bows? Are crossbows distinct loot still? Will Hawke be able to use those sweet crossbows? Why the hell didn't more people ask these questions during the live chat instead of wasting them on "Will we have choices?"

Z0re on
  • Options
    ValiantheartValiantheart Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Bethany is wearing a chainmail corset that neglects to protect most of her vital organs. I guess it is female chainmail progress though.

And I'm glad I am not the only one who noticed FemHawke looks a lot like Morrigan.

Valiantheart on
    PSN: Valiant_heart PC: Valiantheart99
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Z0re wrote: »

Something I'm curious about is crossbow mechanics, and how they've changed from Origins. Hopefully crossbows won't utterly suck anymore, but more importantly can Varric use normal bows? Are crossbows distinct loot still? Will Hawke be able to use those sweet crossbows? Why the hell didn't more people ask these questions during the live chat instead of wasting them on "Will we have choices?"

Varric can only use his one crossbow (he calls it Bianca), but it levels up with him, so that's okay. I don't know that they've said if there are other crossbows that Hawke and Sebastian can use, but I don't see why not.

Bethany is wearing a chainmail corset that neglects to protect most of her vital organs. I guess it is female chainmail progress though.
    To be fair, it is about 200% more armor than mages usually get.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    eEK!eEK! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Z0re wrote: »

Varric can only use his one crossbow (he calls it Bianca), but it levels up with him, so that's okay. I don't know that they've said if there are other crossbows that Hawke and Sebastian can use, but I don't see why not.

It seems like they are trying to give each character more individuality though weapons and armor (as opposed to Origins) so I'd guess Sebastien won't be able to use crossbows.

eEK! on